The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Brendan Gaunce be given a serious look for the 3rd line center position

Southpop45

196 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Too inexperienced.

Too physically immature.

Not ready to play against men and NHL speed.

I say no to the 3rd line or any position on the team for at least a minimum of 2 years.

Edit - After further thought, I'll rescind my critique of his physical immaturity. Kid has decent size.

I still stand by my assertion that he's not ready, or at the least, the Canucks have better options at the 3rd line center positions than him.

Except our team. Who knows if Schroeder is NHL-ready, and with Kesler out for the first bit of the season, I'm scared to see Lapierre centering our 2nd line. If Gaunce shows he's ready, I'd put him in the lineup, just until Kesler is back. People think it's crazy to put an 18 year old rookie in the lineup when realistically it has happened to a decent amount of players who have played pretty well.

Jensen looks close. Gaunce not so much but i have faith in Gary Roberts.

We need a centre now and a decent one tho,

Jason Arnott 6'5 225lbs of veteran is a UFA,

or a Stephen Weiss in a Luongo trade..

somebody ...we def need a centre and Gaunce is not the answer (yet)

we also need a savage enforcer. desperately.

What's funny is that the majority of you talk like you are scouts, or coaches, or even have a single clue about hockey aside from being fanboys posting on a forum thread. Gaunce according to many of the scouts and analysts was by far, outside of the top 10 most NHL ready. The only reason he went so late is due to the ridiculous number of very good or soon to be very good defencemen in this years draft.

Take it with a grain of salt and for what it's worth, but why don't you just shut the hell up and stop being wannabe scouts of NHL talent and let the kids play speak for itself. I doubt 90% of you even knew this kid existed before the Canucks drafted him, now you've read hockeysfuture.com and watched a few YouTube clips and you can say unequivocally that he is not, or will not be better than any of the options we presently have.

Luongo may not be moved prior to the beginning of the season, and for cap reasons we may not be able to acquire a 3rd line center from outside the organization, or a 2nd line center for that matter that can fill in for Kesler until he's back. Maybe the kid comes into camp and has the same 2-way ability as Schroeder but due to sheer size beats him out for a roster spot.

Point is, none of you know because he hasn't even come anywhere close to playing with any sort of legitimate NHL talent, or in any NHL situations.

God damn.

What's funny is that the majority of you talk like you are scouts, or coaches, or even have a single clue about hockey aside from being fanboys posting on a forum thread. Gaunce according to many of the scouts and analysts was by far, outside of the top 10 most NHL ready. The only reason he went so late is due to the ridiculous number of very good or soon to be very good defencemen in this years draft.

Take it with a grain of salt and for what it's worth, but why don't you just shut the hell up and stop being wannabe scouts of NHL talent and let the kids play speak for itself. I doubt 90% of you even knew this kid existed before the Canucks drafted him, now you've read hockeysfuture.com and watched a few YouTube clips and you can say unequivocally that he is not, or will not be better than any of the options we presently have.

Luongo may not be moved prior to the beginning of the season, and for cap reasons we may not be able to acquire a 3rd line center from outside the organization, or a 2nd line center for that matter that can fill in for Kesler until he's back. Maybe the kid comes into camp and has the same 2-way ability as Schroeder but due to sheer size beats him out for a roster spot.

Point is, none of you know because he hasn't even come anywhere close to playing with any sort of legitimate NHL talent, or in any NHL situations.

God damn.

Really.. a freshly drafted 18 year old kid compared to a seasoned 21 year old Schroeder than we've slowly been developing for the past 3 years and is coming off his best statistical year in the AHL to date....yeah Schroeder >>> Gaunce, at this point anyhow.

Last thing we want is another Gilbert Brule debacle where we put too much pressure on a young player way too early and completely castrate his development.

Normally I say don't rush prospects. But I do think we're in a different era in the NHL now. Kids are coming out of the CHL a lot better prepared for pro life than they used to. They know what to say, they are used to systems, and they are better conditioned than they were a decade or so ago.

If he looks like he's ready, and able to handle it, I say go for it. But if he needs more time in junior/minors so be it. I think every player is different.

@"DJ Ball" Lol, amusement aside is what I said not a fair assessment of the majority of this forum? For the record, that entire diatribe if you were so inclined to consider it as such, was typed out under the coolest and calmest demeanor, certain things were said merely for emphasis to get the point across; again however I wouldn't expect the majority to understand that.

Everyone on here seems to like nothing more than to rip into an OP and take every available chance they get to try and wow everyone with their "insightful analysis of player X", it get's old. This place would be much more enjoyable if people weren't so hellbent on being idiots, some meaningful discussion might actually take place.

As long as people take liberties simply because they are hiding behind a keyboard and think it's the cats ass to flame someone, or berate an OP, or try to be a showoff internet forums like these are likely to remain a joke. How about having a little class, and a little reservation. I have to stop and remind myself sometimes that this is a Forum for the Vancouver Canucks and that we're (at least the vast majority of us) all supposed to be fans of this team.

I'm certain that's a concept that everyone can grasp, though I'm not holding my breath and expecting everyone to hold themselves to the same level of accountability I hold myself to; one can hope however.

Normally I say don't rush prospects. But I do think we're in a different era in the NHL now. Kids are coming out of the CHL a lot better prepared for pro life than they used to. They know what to say, they are used to systems, and they are better conditioned than they were a decade or so ago.

If he looks like he's ready, and able to handle it, I say go for it. But if he needs more time in junior/minors so be it. I think every player is different.

@"DJ Ball" Lol, amusement aside is what I said not a fair assessment of the majority of this forum? For the record, that entire diatribe if you were so inclined to consider it as such, was typed out under the coolest and calmest demeanor, certain things were said merely for emphasis to get the point across; again however I wouldn't expect the majority to understand that.

Everyone on here seems to like nothing more than to rip into an OP and take every available chance they get to try and wow everyone with their "insightful analysis of player X", it get's old. This place would be much more enjoyable if people weren't so hellbent on being idiots, some meaningful discussion might actually take place.

As long as people take liberties simply because they are hiding behind a keyboard and think it's the cats ass to flame someone, or berate an OP, or try to be a showoff internet forums like these are likely to remain a joke. How about having a little class, and a little reservation. I have to stop and remind myself sometimes that this is a Forum for the Vancouver Canucks and that we're (at least the vast majority of us) all supposed to be fans of this team.

I'm certain that's a concept that everyone can grasp, though I'm not holding my breath and expecting everyone to hold themselves to the same level of accountability I hold myself to; one can hope however.

Only the very best make it into the show as 18 year old players.

I am not saying that Gaunce is not the very best but let's allow history to show which 18 year olds make the jump right into the NHL. Stamkos,LeCavalier,Jagr,Thornton,Hall,etc.. Is Gaunce in that category of talent? Do the Canucks need him so bad that they risk injuring him or breaking down his confidence at such a young age? Is he really head and shoulders above all other 18 year olds?

37 18 year olds have made it to the show in the last 21 years -and that means they played ten or more games.

http://www.the6thsen...in-the-nhl.html

Going back in time only 50 or so have ever made it and that includes Lemieux,Orr,Esposito,Hull,Crosby-Hall of Famers or guys that really did well in their careers,for the most part.Is Gaunce in that elite league of players?

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/player-age/18-year-old-nhl-players.html

Only the very best make it into the show as 18 year old players.

I am not saying that Gaunce is not the very best but let's allow history to show which 18 year olds make the jump right into the NHL. Stamkos,LeCavalier,Jagr,Thornton,Hall,etc.. Is Gaunce in that category of talent? Do the Canucks need him so bad that they risk injuring him or breaking down his confidence at such a young age? Is he really head and shoulders above all other 18 year olds?

37 18 year olds have made it to the show in the last 21 years -and that means they played ten or more games.

http://www.the6thsen...in-the-nhl.html

Going back in time only 50 or so have ever made it and that includes Lemieux,Orr,Esposito,Hull,Crosby-Hall of Famers or guys that really did well in their careers,for the most part.Is Gaunce in that elite league of players?

http://www.quanthock...hl-players.html

I wonder how many 18 year old centers are put into NHL action by teams that:

Spend to the cap.

Have four NHL centre men on the roster.

Have a prospect with three years of AHL conditioning waiting in the wings-Schroeder.

Have a 14 year NHL centre - Steven Reinprecht.

Six professionals ready and willing to fill the third or fourth line minutes in Kesler's absence and the Canucks mgmt. feel the need to put an 18 year old in the line up?

With AV as a coach it would be far better for his development to play elsewhere this year. AV does not give players chances, he is a very safe coach, if a player is not ready he will not give him the playintg time needed to see if he can contribute.

Archived