The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Brendan Gaunce be given a serious look for the 3rd line center position

Southpop45

196 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 3 weeks later...

Can Gaunce show up and try-out for a roster spot without an ELC during the pre-season, and if he makes the big club (doubtful) he then gets an ELC? (I'm under the assumption that Gillis thinks he's going back to the OHL so he likely won't sign him to an ELC just yet, correct?)

everyone is being given a shot at training camp. I believe that there are spots to be earned and lost going into camp. If these young players can put together a impressive camp, then there is a chance they could slot into the starting roster.

I really don't know a ton about Gaunce, but I do know I like Lappy as our 3rd line C, with a potentially resurgent Malhotra pushing for it as well. We need a 2nd line C to hold the fort for Kesler while he's gone, not another 3rd line C.

What I would really like to see is 2-4 of our prospects make it to the last day of pre-season and make tough choices for the hockey club on who to keep and who to send down. Usually we're lucky if 1 sticks to the end of pre-season. I'd love to see a bunch of guys prove the critics wrong and show our development and drafting improving.

I would give him a serious look. Gaunce was the 2nd best center at the draft (behind Galchenyuk) which is amazing. If Henrique can center the Stanley Cup finalist Devils' top line, Gaunce can center our 3rd line.

I feel that Gaunce will have a Jensen-like preseason, who really shined and was our best forward last preseason. However, the team is much less competitive at the center position right now than at wing, which is why Gaunce deserves the 3rd line center spot. Basically our depth at center right now (minus Kesler) is:

Henrik > Lapierre > Malhotra > Ebbett > Gaunce

Pinizotto can apparently play center but I'd much rather true centers like the guys above. To start the season...

Sedin - Sedin - Booth (Booth showed chemistry with the twins down the stretch whilst Burrows struggled with them)

Burrows - Lapierre - Higgins (better depth, Burr and Lappy have chemistry, Higgins and Lappy have chemistry)

Raymond - Gaunce - Hansen

Kassian - Malhotra - Weise

Of course Malhotra and Gaunce are interchangeable here, but if he doesn't make the team that will be Ebbett's spot. Then again, if we manage to sign Arnott, Gaunce has next to no chance of making the squad.

I would give him a serious look. Gaunce was the 2nd best center at the draft (behind Galchenyuk) which is amazing. If Henrique can center the Stanley Cup finalist Devils' top line, Gaunce can center our 3rd line.

I feel that Gaunce will have a Jensen-like preseason, who really shined and was our best forward last preseason. However, the team is much less competitive at the center position right now than at wing, which is why Gaunce deserves the 3rd line center spot. Basically our depth at center right now (minus Kesler) is:

Henrik > Lapierre > Malhotra > Ebbett > Gaunce

Pinizotto can apparently play center but I'd much rather true centers like the guys above. To start the season...

Sedin - Sedin - Booth (Booth showed chemistry with the twins down the stretch whilst Burrows struggled with them)

Burrows - Lapierre - Higgins (better depth, Burr and Lappy have chemistry, Higgins and Lappy have chemistry)

Raymond - Gaunce - Hansen

Kassian - Malhotra - Weise

Of course Malhotra and Gaunce are interchangeable here, but if he doesn't make the team that will be Ebbett's spot. Then again, if we manage to sign Arnott, Gaunce has next to no chance of making the squad.

No need to rush our prospects and ruin their development. What are we, the Blue Jackets?

Gimme a break, we have capable bottom-6 centers, we don't need Gaunce to make the big club yet. Ruin his development and we're really scewed in the future. You have to think about the big picture.

Let them all fight it out in the pre-season. Players no matter age or experience should earn their spot. Reward hard work and dedication allied to ability. Let the best man win I say.

Having said that I am rooting for Gaunce and have a soft spot for the wee guy, Ebbett. :)

Unless you are highly capable (and years beyond 18 or 19 on your birth certificate) regarding your physical and mental conditioning you should never be thrown into the NHL at that age.

It is not wise nor necessary.

Only the most desperate teams need to enlist the assistance of a teenager.

I don't see him getting real strong consideration this year. He may show some great skills, but I don't think his development both skill wise and Physically is complete. I think another season with his Junior team would definately benefit his future. After that give him another look. We gotta remember he's only eighteen years old.

Archived