The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Brendan Gaunce be given a serious look for the 3rd line center position

Southpop45

196 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

you have to start playing the prospects before the core is on the decline (which will probably be in 2 years). Otherwise you throw them on a team with a bunch of old farts who can't play anymore basically just setting them up to fail.

Gillis: "Oh hey there Gaunce, now that our team sucks, we're going to let you play and be the GUY.... Good luck!"

Gaunce: "Geee thanks...I guess."

A two-way center with good size and strength. Handles the puck quite well and positions himself well with his fine hockey sense. Not a poor skater, but can work on his acceleration. Plays well along the boards and around the net. Powerforward potential.

A left shooting, quick skater. Blessed with excellent technical skills and playmaking abilities. Good wrist shot

cant wait to see these two guys play one day on our team.

Doubtful. Not impossible.

If he impresses, he'll get a shot.

but he'll have to overcome the common problems with youngsters:

-lack of NHL-level physicality

-lack of NHL-level defensive awareness

-lack of NHL-level footspeed

I think the last part will probably be enough to keep him from making the jump.

(Hope I'm wrong though)

I didn't vote because you're missing the one answer that I think most would have selected. That being:

Only if he can show in camp that he is far more advanced and ready than anyone in the organization likely believes that he currently is!

Just cause he's 6'2 215 does not mean he's physically ready. Most dudes dont have man strength at 18. The guys that go no 1 ov that aren't men like hall or nuge usually have the skill to compensate. I'd love it if gaunce or Schroeder were capable of contributing to the team. We usually have no room for people to develop. With Kes out for a bit hopefully younger players emerge.

If he brings the compete level which Alex Burrows did as a rookie or Adam Henrique last year???

Say what you will about AV, he rewards work rate and players who stick their nose in it! Also see Hansen, Kesler, Rypien... If he wants to be a 3rd line center; there are role models and a formula here and he would be welcomed if thats what he brings.

Up to the kid!

:rolleyes:

Let Gaunce develop, let him play more in juniors, then the farm. In the AHL he'll be playing against NHL calibre players, once he's shown his stuff there, thats when I think its time to give Gaunce a really good look for the Canucks

Gaunce looks like he has a bit of a snipers wrist shot. Literally every goal, save the penalty shot, was a left wrist shot!

Jensen looks like a pure goal scorer; scoring in different situations. Backhand, driving the net left, drive the net right,cross ice pass and let it go, dig in front of the net...

A two-way center with good size and strength. Handles the puck quite well and positions himself well with his fine hockey sense. Not a poor skater, but can work on his acceleration. Plays well along the boards and around the net. Powerforward potential.

A left shooting, quick skater. Blessed with excellent technical skills and playmaking abilities. Good wrist shot

cant wait to see these two guys play one day on our team.

Archived