Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Should Brendan Gaunce be given a serious look for the 3rd line center position

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Brendan Gaunce be given a serious look for the 3rd line center position (196 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Gaunce be given a shot for the 3rd line center spot?

1. Yes ( hes better suited for it then shroeder and lappy and manny should stay on the 4th) (45 votes [22.96%])

Percentage of vote: 22.96%

2. No (shroeder is more ready) (74 votes [37.76%])

Percentage of vote: 37.76%

3. No (manny and lappy should just switch between 3rd and 4th line) (77 votes [39.29%])

Percentage of vote: 39.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#91 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:03 AM

I would give him a serious look. Gaunce was the 2nd best center at the draft (behind Galchenyuk) which is amazing. If Henrique can center the Stanley Cup finalist Devils' top line, Gaunce can center our 3rd line.

I feel that Gaunce will have a Jensen-like preseason, who really shined and was our best forward last preseason. However, the team is much less competitive at the center position right now than at wing, which is why Gaunce deserves the 3rd line center spot. Basically our depth at center right now (minus Kesler) is:

Henrik > Lapierre > Malhotra > Ebbett > Gaunce

Pinizotto can apparently play center but I'd much rather true centers like the guys above. To start the season...

Sedin - Sedin - Booth (Booth showed chemistry with the twins down the stretch whilst Burrows struggled with them)
Burrows - Lapierre - Higgins (better depth, Burr and Lappy have chemistry, Higgins and Lappy have chemistry)
Raymond - Gaunce - Hansen
Kassian - Malhotra - Weise

Of course Malhotra and Gaunce are interchangeable here, but if he doesn't make the team that will be Ebbett's spot. Then again, if we manage to sign Arnott, Gaunce has next to no chance of making the squad.

I suspect Gaunce and the other prospects are on a fairly short leash on this team because we're trying to go for a cup now, we don't have a terrible lot of time for experiments. If Gaunce does well in training camp and impresses in the post season he deserves a shot at the 3rd or 4th line. I think Ebbett is more than ready for a chance, either as the 3rd or 4th line center depending on how Manny plays.

Ebbett is actually pretty underrated I think--if you look at his stats he usually puts up some decent numbers for a 3rd liner--he just rarely gets any chances because he's so small or whatever. There was the one year on the Ducks 3 years ago where he had 32 pts in 48 games. The games he has played with the Canucks he scored 2 game winners and had some great shifts.

Of course if we get Arnott it's a whole other story as you mention.

Edited by Moonshinefe, 09 August 2012 - 03:07 AM.

#92 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:12 AM

No need to rush our prospects and ruin their development. What are we, the Blue Jackets?

Gimme a break, we have capable bottom-6 centers, we don't need Gaunce to make the big club yet. Ruin his development and we're really scewed in the future. You have to think about the big picture.

RIP LB RR PD

#93 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:28 AM

Let them all fight it out in the pre-season. Players no matter age or experience should earn their spot. Reward hard work and dedication allied to ability. Let the best man win I say.

Having said that I am rooting for Gaunce and have a soft spot for the wee guy, Ebbett. :)
Kevin.jpg

#94 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,630 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:45 AM

Unless you are highly capable (and years beyond 18 or 19 on your birth certificate) regarding your physical and mental conditioning you should never be thrown into the NHL at that age.

It is not wise nor necessary.

Only the most desperate teams need to enlist the assistance of a teenager.

Edited by nuck nit, 09 August 2012 - 07:48 AM.

#95 lmm

lmm

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,507 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:37 AM

was it Jim Sandlak?
no it was Alek Stojanov that the Canucks drafted as the "Most NHL Ready" in their draft.
We have been down that road before.

#96 klw604

klw604

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:49 AM

No. Let him develope properly.

#97 Alchemy Time

Alchemy Time

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,800 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:05 AM

was it Jim Sandlak?
no it was Alek Stojanov that the Canucks drafted as the "Most NHL Ready" in their draft.
We have been down that road before.

And who did he turn into excatly? Oh right, Markus Naslund. Just wait a year or two and then we'll trade him for Filip Forsberg.

Edited by ER15, 09 August 2012 - 10:08 AM.

Posted Image

#98 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:07 AM

I don't see him getting real strong consideration this year. He may show some great skills, but I don't think his development both skill wise and Physically is complete. I think another season with his Junior team would definately benefit his future. After that give him another look. We gotta remember he's only eighteen years old.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.