The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

question: do we know why gillis let gragnani walk?

billabong

I would guess that it had a lot to do with Garrison signing, and Gragnani not exactly being a third pairing type defenseman. Also he may not have been willing to accept his qualifying offer - he wound up signing for 800k as opposed to the 550 + 10% (which wouljd have been the qualifying offer if the Canucks had followed through...).

I think MG honestly thought Shultz signing here was in the bag.. Even tho Gragani sucks, the guy was here for like 20 games and you go thru all that effort to keep him an RFA only to let him walk. It makes no sense and for a team that's used to carrying 9+ NHL defenseman were a little thin now. Alberts as your #7, i guess Joslin as #8.. i don't exactly feel anyone else is ready at this point in time.

Is it really like MG to let young players walk? There was probably something else going on here.

Besides, he wasn't that bad. His Corsi relative at 13.91 was 4th on the team behind Sedin-Sedin-Burrows and his Corsi at 7.93 was not too shabby either. That tells you that even with his defensive lapses the team was still able to outshoot the opponent with him on the ice by a fair margin so how significant could those lapses be?

Wanted to give full roster spot to Tanev and Ballard, who are smaller defensemen like MAG and Connauton is also close to making it to the big team as well. The depth defensemen will likely have to be bigger bodies.

Here's hoping for a healthy year.

Archived