Canucks Community

[Discussion] Who needs Ballard ?

I want Gillis to trade Ballard

- we already have 4 above average dmen that are better then him

- cap hit is too much for a bottom 6 pairing

- He failed at his chance to prove himself as a top 4 on the canucks

- coaching staff does not trust him

- 4.2 million can be spent better elsewhere

What teams are in need of a puck moving Top 4 Dman and have lots of cap space???

Carolina

Colorado

Dallas

Detroit

Deadmonton

Nashville(if webber goes)

Ballard traded for........

Carolina- (F) Anthony Stewart + (F)Patrick Dwyer

Colorado -(D) Ryan OBryan + Draft pick

Dallas-(F) Eric Nystrom Or (F) Vernon Fiddler

Detroit -( F) Darren Helm

Edmonton- (D) Theo Peckham + (F)Anton Lander

Nashville-(F) Nick Spaling

that topic before is in canucks talk.... i posted in proposals to see what canucks fan want in terms of a trade not if we should keep him or not.

You think he brings alot???? What has he done in the 2 years hes been here so far

I know what you've lost since he got here....willi mitchell, grabner, and an awesome 1st round pick (howden,or that russian kid we could of had)

and the trades I proposed all help with are team needs either its a 3rd line center or checking gritty players

Here's my opinion of him as I wrote it in the other thread.

We weren't going to Re-sign Mitchell anyways, and I think Ballard is better, he has just had a tough time, he was our best defensemen in the playoffs, and I think that will continue.

His season was fine, he played top 4 throughout the year and had a better year.

Yes we lost Grabner, which I wasn't happy about, but whatever that stuff happens, I'm happy that we have Ballard and I'm excited to see what he can do.

yea I noticed you forgot to mention that he makes $4.2 million dollars a season

Ballard isnt that bad of a Dman , hes just overpaid and a cancer to the cap

forget about how good he is and what he might be able to do... NHL is a Business... and Ballard is bad for Business, he hurts the canucks cap....especially if the new CBA brings the cap down

heres what is probs gonna happen....teams are gonna get desperate (teams like det, dal, nyi, nsh, or wpg) then they will call gillis about ballard and mg is gonna sense the desperation and ask for a prospect and a 2nd pick. teams will laugh and hang up then we are back to square one when gillis should just do him solid and deal him out of town and create some cap space for himself

det, nsh, or nyi are likely destinations for ballard

if nsh lets weber walk then they are gonna be scrambling for nhl defensemen and they will be forced to trade for players like bouwmeester, ballard, komisarek, kaberle or hainsey....you could also throw det into that category as well

And what exactly are we going to spend this cap money on?

There's really nowhere else to spend it so whats the point of clearing the cap room?

He probably makes us better than any other return, so keep him.

Money doesn't make a difference once you hit the ice, and if Ballard helps (which he does), we can keep him under the cap and give our team the best chance to win (which we can). Then there is no reason to move him.

heres what is probs gonna happen....teams are gonna get desperate (teams like det, dal, nyi, nsh, or wpg) then they will call gillis about ballard and mg is gonna sense the desperation and ask for a prospect and a 2nd pick. teams will laugh and hang up then we are back to square one when gillis should just do him solid and deal him out of town and create some cap space for himself

det, nsh, or nyi are likely destinations for ballard

if nsh lets weber walk then they are gonna be scrambling for nhl defensemen and they will be forced to trade for players like bouwmeester, ballard, komisarek, kaberle or hainsey....you could also throw det into that category as well

cap space as of today with ballard

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

Mason Raymond ($2.275m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / David Booth ($4.250m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.025m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Chris Tanev ($0.900m) / Keith Ballard ($4.200m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) /

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,203,333; BONUSES: $250,000

CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $996,667

Cap space without ballard

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

Mason Raymond ($2.275m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / David Booth ($4.250m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.025m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Chris Tanev ($0.900m) / Andrew Alberts ($1.225m)

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,003,333; BONUSES: $250,000

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $5,196,667

I dont think you know much about business.You need to get a return on your investment, and ballard has not been able to produce, its time to cut your loses. It's good to have some cap space and flexability. You never know what players can become available(carter,richards,nash)

and 5 million dollars is alot of money.... lol u can sign 3 Dman for the price of 1 that are pretty much on Ballards level

Chris Campoli + Scott Hannan+ Kurtis Foster combined made about the same as ballard last season

- and they all had more points per game then him

Schreoder doesn't cap towards the cap.

And I'm not sure if you know this, but there is a 10% increase on the cap in the offseason. So we are fine.

Like I said I'm not sure exactly what we are going to get, there are no chance at getting any of the big name players avaliable, maybe Doan but that's it

Schreoder doesn't cap towards the cap.

And I'm not sure if you know this, but there is a 10% increase on the cap in the offseason. So we are fine.

Like I said I'm not sure exactly what we are going to get, there are no chance at getting any of the big name players avaliable, maybe Doan but that's it

If something comes up where we need to clear cap space to make a deal that makes sense and makes us better then we can clear cap space. Personally I would clear Raymond's 2.275 before Ballard's if that would clear the space.

And we also still have Luongo's 5.3 that will probably go at some point, and if we make any other trades there would be cap going the other way aswell.

And I would take Ballard over all those players, PPG isn't everything, and doesn't prove who's better than who. Foster has the big PP shot, and slow foot speed. Campoli is an Offensive defensemen, who's biggest flaw is defensive ability and Hannan is a defensive vet but he is aging.

Ballard's play wasn't reflected in his #'s, they have been poor since he got here but he has spent most of his time on the third pair and or dumba** coach put Rome out on the PP ahead of Ballard. Ballard has been good in other areas.

Trading him now

just so we have cap space that we aren't going to use

makes no sense. A

swell it creates a hole in our blueline.

If there is something imminent that makes sense or is an upgrade where we need to clear cap space then we can look at it, but there is no reason to make a move otherwise.

I ment Ballard over any one of those players, I thought you would have understood that. :picard:

And ya personally I would rather have Ballard, than Willie, he hasn't preformed the way I think he can but I really like what he can bring.

I think people are expecting way too much from Ballard, he was fine this season, more consistent than alot of our D-man and unlike most of the rest of them he actually showed up and played great when it counted the most.

If he can continue that play with Tanev then I would definetly take him over any of the others.

Archived