Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Discussion] Who needs Ballard ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
55 replies to this topic

#31 jimmyking8888

jimmyking8888

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

Edmonton and Calgary can always use a decent defenseman. Draft picks back would be okay.

#32 billabong

billabong

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:36 PM

i agree with most but

i dont think NYI needs ballard there top 4 is not bad

Mark Streit
Travis Hamonic
Andrew MacDonald
Lubomir Visnovsky

and same with Winnipeg(there owner has to spend wisely they are small market)

Dustin Byfuglien
Tobias Enstrom
Zach Bogosian
Ron Hainsey
Mark Stuart

nyi needs ballard for his cap hit to get to the cap floor more importantly but they could also use him to round out the bottom two pairings

streit-visnovsky
ballard-hamonic
macdonald-carkner

and for wpg, they are more of a "might get involved"...if they want to move bufflin forward (which they should have done from the start)

enstrom-hainsey
stuart-bogosian
ballard-clitsome
Posted Image

#33 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:04 AM

Obviously not a straight across deal, more like

Ballard, 2013 3rd Round Pick for Greene.

No No NO!

Ballard, Raymond and a 1st!
Posted Image

#34 Martin Frk

Martin Frk

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

If Nashville doesn't match the Shea Weber deal, i would put them atop the list of buyers for Ballard.
Posted Image
Cred to Lemons

#35 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:07 AM

Keith Ballard did not fit in here nor does he have a big future here. I think its fair to Keith to move him to a team that will want to use him in a top 4 role . There are 15 teams that could use him. We should move him.
Posted Image

#36 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:12 AM

Luongo Ballard and a 1st for Perry and then sign Doan for a big run to the cup. Iam dreaming but just imagine these 2 guys in the lineup.

#37 gwarrior

gwarrior

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

the only team that will trade for him is a team that needs to reach the cap floor, and we would be lucky to get a draft pick for him.

#38 CHIPS

CHIPS

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

Just trade Ballard for any 7th round pick and sign a few of the following guys for a faction of the price.

Jurcina, Foster, Colaiacovo, Simon Danis-Pepin (project)

Edited by CHIPS, 24 July 2012 - 01:26 PM.

CanucksvsBruinsPollsmall-1.jpgRogerNeilsonSmall.jpgSig too big. 

#39 kelly12

kelly12

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:21 PM

Trade Ballard and let the kids play on the third pairing
Tanev and K.Conn as your third pairing.

It worked for LA Martinez and Voynov

#40 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:32 AM

Schreoder doesn't cap towards the cap.

And I'm not sure if you know this, but there is a 10% increase on the cap in the offseason. So we are fine.

Like I said I'm not sure exactly what we are going to get, there are no chance at getting any of the big name players avaliable, maybe Doan but that's it

If something comes up where we need to clear cap space to make a deal that makes sense and makes us better then we can clear cap space. Personally I would clear Raymond's 2.275 before Ballard's if that would clear the space.

And we also still have Luongo's 5.3 that will probably go at some point, and if we make any other trades there would be cap going the other way aswell.

And I would take Ballard over all those players, PPG isn't everything, and doesn't prove who's better than who. Foster has the big PP shot, and slow foot speed. Campoli is an Offensive defensemen, who's biggest flaw is defensive ability and Hannan is a defensive vet but he is aging.

Ballard's play wasn't reflected in his #'s, they have been poor since he got here but he has spent most of his time on the third pair and or dumba** coach put Rome out on the PP ahead of Ballard. Ballard has been good in other areas.

Trading him now just so we have cap space that we aren't going to use makes no sense. Aswell it creates a hole in our blueline.

If there is something imminent that makes sense or is an upgrade where we need to clear cap space then we can look at it, but there is no reason to make a move otherwise.

Edit: Finally able to fix that, Not sure what happen there

As Smashian has rightfully stated, AV hasn't used Ballard properly. If AV wakes up and sees this then we will be better off.
Posted Image

#41 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,105 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:50 AM

As Smashian has rightfully stated, AV hasn't used Ballard properly. If AV wakes up and sees this then we will be better off.

Yeah, except AV and his coaching staff aren't idiots. They have won the President's Trophy two years in a row. Ballard was a tiny part of this success; and anytime he has had his opportunity to step it up, he has mostly been a liability.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#42 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,349 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:05 AM

Exactly

Yeah, except AV and his coaching staff aren't idiots. They have won the President's Trophy two years in a row. Ballard was a tiny part of this success; and anytime he has had his opportunity to step it up, he has mostly been a liability.

Actually our team has, and the players have the most to do with it, we would be better off with a different coach imo, especially come playoff time.

But that's another topic, and he certainly has been better than Rome, we just don't expect much from Rome, so when he makes bad plays and turns the puck over and stuff he doesn't stick out as much, but Ballard has been much better than Rome and better than people give him credit for. AV just plays favorites too much.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 25 July 2012 - 11:06 AM.

zackass.png

#43 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:30 AM

Trade Ballard to EDM. EDM hasn't done enough this summer to address their abysmal defence. Rumours were that Sam Gagner was on the trading block and he only recently signed a 1yr deal. Maybe a straight swap?

Trade: Ballard for Gagner.
EDM gets a top 4 Dman to help the blueline.
VAN gets a 2nd line centre to fill in for Kesler until he comes back.

Meh....

#44 -CANUCKS94-

-CANUCKS94-

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

Personally, I'd like to see Gillis hang on to Ballard, at least for the start of the season - give him one last shot. When Kesler gets back, and we need to alleviate some cap room or make a deal to improve, there will be teams in need of his services, and they will be willing to pay more at that time.
St. Louis Blues GM - Prestige Worldwide GMC

#45 shawn antoski

shawn antoski

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:04 PM

Exactly

Actually our team has, and the players have the most to do with it, we would be better off with a different coach imo, especially come playoff time.

But that's another topic, and he certainly has been better than Rome, we just don't expect much from Rome, so when he makes bad plays and turns the puck over and stuff he doesn't stick out as much, but Ballard has been much better than Rome and better than people give him credit for. AV just plays favorites too much.

LOL
the only Dmen u can even compare ballard to is Rome and Alberts.
$4.2 million dollar mistake

#46 canadiangunner

canadiangunner

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

Ballard has value. Teams have called to inquire about his availabilty. Gillis aint going to throw him away. If a hockey trade comes up he will move him he won't simply give away a potential top 4dman.

I could see Detroit/Phoenix/Philly/Dallas/Islanders all having serious interest.

#47 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

Keep Ballard!

I know he is overpayed but he is a really good #5 dman who can step into the top 4 if there are injuries (which are bound to happen)

Edited by CanucksFanMike, 25 July 2012 - 03:36 PM.

Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#48 Jaku

Jaku

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

Give Ballard one more chance, but if he craps the bed again, ship him.
R.I.P- #37 Rick Rypien, #28 Luc Bourdon, #38 Pavol Demitra Forever Canucks.
Posted Image
Credit to Khalifawiz501 for the Sig.
Posted ImageColorado Avalanche GM in CDC STHS Sim League

#49 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,349 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:14 PM

LOL
the only Dmen u can even compare ballard to is Rome and Alberts.
$4.2 million dollar mistake

How?

Ballard is miles better than both?

He just hasn't got a big enough role to show his skills, he had a good season, he was reliable and played well with the minutes he got and he was more consistent than Bieksa this year and then in the playoffs when it mattered the most he was one of the only players who decided to show up.

Your just too biased.

zackass.png

#50 shawn antoski

shawn antoski

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:10 PM

How?

Ballard is miles better than both?

He just hasn't got a big enough role to show his skills, he had a good season, he was reliable and played well with the minutes he got and he was more consistent than Bieksa this year and then in the playoffs when it mattered the most he was one of the only players who decided to show up.

Your just too biased.

I CANT BELIEVE YOU THINK HES WORTH HIs $4.2 million dollar pay cheque :emot-parrot:

#51 dynamic_canuck21

dynamic_canuck21

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

Trade Ballard to EDM. EDM hasn't done enough this summer to address their abysmal defence. Rumours were that Sam Gagner was on the trading block and he only recently signed a 1yr deal. Maybe a straight swap?

Trade: Ballard for Gagner.
EDM gets a top 4 Dman to help the blueline.
VAN gets a 2nd line centre to fill in for Kesler until he comes back.

Meh....

LOL I doubt edmonton would accept that XD

Edited by dynamic_canuck21, 26 July 2012 - 05:36 PM.

#52 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,349 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:11 PM

I CANT BELIEVE YOU THINK HES WORTH HIs $4.2 million dollar pay cheque :emot-parrot:

I never said that?

Ya he is overpaid for how he has played here but it's not a big deal because we can handle his contract and still have the cap space.

So that's really not a factor right now.

zackass.png

#53 Canada Hockey Place

Canada Hockey Place

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:05 AM

NYI: Ballard
STL: Visnovsky
VAN: Stewart
Quando omni flunkus moritati

#54 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,349 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:46 AM

NYI: Ballard
STL: Visnovsky
VAN: Stewart

NYI: Ballard, Higgins, Raymond/Pick

STL: Visnovsky, McDonald

VAN: Berglund, Sobotka

Well?

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 27 July 2012 - 04:46 AM.

zackass.png

#55 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,299 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:53 AM

We desperately need defensive depth, so I only want to trade Ballard if we can find some decent bottom pairing defencemen. I'd love to see Alberts and Tanev split duties at the #6 spot with around 40 games each, maybe have Joslin in for 10 or 20 games (he's very similar to Rome) so we need a solid #5 guy who can play 20 minutes a game if necessary and can jump up into our top-4 comfortably in case of injury.

Guys like Vandemeer, Jurcina and Coliacovo would have been perfect for our bottom pairing because they can play in a top-4 situation, as can Ballard. Right now we're 1 injury away from seeing Ballard play 20 minutes (which he can handle), and 2 injuries in our top-4 from having to witness Tanev play 20 minutes with Alberts and Joslin at 15 minutes a game which is scary.

Ideally we get another depth defenceman and keep Ballard, but if we have to trade him we need 2 guys on the blueline first.
Posted Image

#56 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:50 AM

i like Keith and think he can be a great asset to a team even a top 4 but I think we are better served moving him I really do.
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.