The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[NEWS ONLY] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Rumours and Reports, with warnings issued to those not following this)

Luongo-will-kill-you.gif

Luongo’s Conduct is That of a Consummate Pro

By Ed Willes, The Province March 27, 2013

Roberto Luongo stood in front of the microphones and TV cameras on Wednesday and answered the same questions he’s been asked since Goalie Confidential started its long run in Vancouver.

The line of interrogation was largely the same. The answers? They were the same, too.

True, with the NHL trade deadline now just six days away, the context changed. But if you were expecting to hear anything new from the Canucks’ goalie, you were in the wrong place.

And that’s kind of the point. Luongo stood in there and answered everything thrown his way just as he’s done since the lockout ended.

It wasn’t especially revealing. It certainly wasn’t dramatic. But it was sincere and it was delivered in an honest, direct manner which, in the end, is all you can ask of the man.

Luongo, one of the three or four best goalies of his generation, has been placed in an impossible situation, but he’s managed to make it all seem normal.

His awkward job share with Cory Schneider had the potential to get rip a hole in the Canucks’ locker-room, but it hasn’t. And if that isn’t fully appreciated by the masses, the Canucks understand its significance.

They understand it to the very marrow of their being.

“Listen, I have the utmost respect for Roberto as a man and a professional,” said Canucks associate coach Rick Bowness, who came into the game about the time they took the rover out.

“There isn’t a person you can think of who could have handled it any better than Roberto has handled it.

“He is a very proud man. He is a great goalie and this is very difficult on him. But you wouldn’t know it. He won’t allow it to effect to the locker-room. He won’t allow it to effect his preparation and his work habits.”

Bowness, who’s been the head coach of five different NHL teams going back to the late ‘80s in Winnipeg, was asked if he’s seen comparable situations that went sideways; that divided a team.

“Oh yeah,” he said. “There ‘s a lot more of that than what you’re seeing here.”

In Macbeth, Shakespeare wrote of a nobleman who faced execution: "Nothing in his life became him like the leaving it”, and there’s something of Luongo in those words. We may be seeing the final chapter of his story in Vancouver. We may not. But watching him on Wednesday; watching him go through the same tiresome routine in a composed, professional manner revealed so much about the man and his grace in a trying circumstance.

He was asked how he’d feel about serving as Schneider’s backup through the playoffs.

“Those are all the things I thought about before the season started,” Luongo said. “I was fully aware of all the scenarios and potentially being here past the deadline. Whatever happens, I’ll accept it and be a good team teammate.”

He was asked if he’s happy with the current situation.

“Happy?” he answered. “I’m trying to be as positive as I can and work hard and make sure I’m ready. Things change quickly. It’s not for me to be in a bad place if something were to happen and I have to play.”

He was asked how many team are now on his trade list.

“37,” he said with a smile.

O.K., we know there’s a lot of people who think, ‘For $5.3 million a year, I could say the right things too.” But this is about so much more than the money. As Bowness suggested, Luongo has a status in the game and that status allows him a certain latitude within the team’s structure.

But Luongo has never asked for special treatment. Instead, he puts in his work, answers the questions and makes jokes at his own expense.

Jarome Iginla, who’s in a similar situation to Luongo, declined to face the media before Tuesday’s game in Chicago and touched off a minor spitstorm. Luongo was out there on a Wednesday after an optional skate, one of about a half-dozen Canucks made available.

Maybe that should be the norm. But it isn’t.

He was asked in a private moment if he’s aware he’s won over a lot of people with the way he’s conducted himself.

“In the last few years, I always haven’t been happy with the way I handled some situations,” he said. “I thought this time I’m going to go about my business the right way. Maybe people are seeing it more because I’m under a bit of a microscope.”

Maybe. And maybe they like what they see.

Roberto-Luongo-161929926-Jeff-Vinnick1.jpg

http://blogs.theprov...o-in-vancouver/

tumblr_mgu70viFEx1qbc48ho1_500.png

If it all Stays Status Quo, you Haven't Seen the Last of Luongo in Vancouver

March 28, 2013

Jason Botchford

If a draft pick and a low-rent prospect is all the Canucks are going to be offered for Roberto Luongo, they are not likely trading him, meaning, of course, he will play again in a Canucks uniform.

Or rot on the bench.

Just days from the deadline, the Canucks seem to still believe they can get a player to help them immediately plus a piece, or even two, for the future.

It sure looks like wishful thinking this year anyway.

What they could be banking on is an offseason which is set to be the summer of the goalie. Call it The Great Goalie Scramble.

Yes, it means there could be more teams looking for a goalie, and that's alluring to the Canucks.

But, keep in mind, it's mostly because of the big number of goalies who could be available.

Consider the free agents could include Mike Smith, Jimmy Howard, and Niklas Backstrom.

The trade market could include Ryan Miller, Jonathan Bernier, Jaro Halak and either Ben Bishop or Craig Anderson.

The wild cards promise to be Tim Thomas and Ilya Bryzgalov, if the Flyers buy him out.

That's some list right there, and it would leave teams in need of a goalie, but it would also give those teams a lot of options.

The salary cap is declining which the Canucks are willing to bet will actually make Luongo's deal more palatable because of his relatively low cap hit of $5.3 million.

But if he is still on the Vancouver roster after July 5, it could impact plans the Canucks have in free agency. And if you get to August and he's not traded, what then?

Age is becoming an issue. Luongo is about to turn 34 and the save percentage leaders are not loaded with old timers. Just one in the top 20 in save percentage is older.

There's no doubt, it's frustrating for Luongo. He hasn't played in 10 days and has lost four of his previous six starts. If he's not going to be traded, he's going to want to play at some point down the stretch. And he would play. But for how long?

Cory Schneider is thriving and believes it's because of playing time.

"When I play, I feel like a No. 1," Schneider said.

"I'm not changing things because I'm playing more. I've always had the mentality I can be a No. 1.

"You see guys around the league who play 70 games a year. I'd like to be one of those guys. I'd like to be dependable and healthy. I want to be a guy you can depend on to be there every night.

"I feel the coaching staff will know (when to sit me). The coaching staff or Rollie (Melanson) will see something and say 'Hey, he needs a break.'

"Rollie is always asking me how I feel. But I like playing. So any time they tell me to get in the net, I'm getting in the net, regardless of how I feel.

"A lot of (how I'm playing) is seeing the action. It's being in the game. Sometimes, when you're playing a lot you don't think about it. Sometimes when you're not playing a lot, you over-think it."

Luongo to Toronto. Yeah, it’s still a thing.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/03/29/luongo-to-toronto-yeah-its-still-a-thing/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

To sum up the rumor/facts ...

Toronto offers Canucks a 2nd, & a "C" prospect for Luongo. Gillis wants Bozak, "B" prospect & a pick. If Nonis won't give up more than that, Gillis feels there'll be a big market for goalies this Summer, as much as 9 teams.

Canucks, Leafs play let’s make a deal — or not

Canucks-give-GM-Mike-Gillis-contract-extension-O41EKBBT-x-large.jpg

dave%20nonis%20mike%20gillis%20roberto%20luongo%20mikhail%20grabovski.jpg

By ED WILLES, The Province March 30, 2013

http://www.theprovin...4416/story.html

On the most basic level, the melodrama over Roberto Luongo and the trade that dare not speak its name comes down to a simple matter.

The Vancouver Canucks have to fill their gaping hole at center ice and the most efficient way to do that is to trade their $5.3-million backup goalie to the Toronto Maple Leafs. That means Tyler Bozak, who’s a pretty hot commodity for someone who’s never produced more than 47 points in an NHL season, has to be part of the deal. If he isn’t, there’s no deal with Toronto.

That, at least, is the simple explanation but, as you might be aware, this situation is about as simple as family day at a bigamists’ colony. There are so many layers to this drama, so much intrigue and behind-the-scenes manoeuvring, that it’s become appointment viewing around the NHL. Maybe it will reach a conclusion at Wednesday’s trade deadline and maybe it won’t.

But either way, there’s a big part of you that wants it to go on forever, because you can’t pay for this kind of entertainment.

By now, the 3,456 pundits and opinion-makers who are following this story agree on the basic elements of the trade discussions.

The Maple Leafs and their general manager Dave Nonis would like to acquire Luongo and, when you look at their goaltending, that isn’t exactly a blinding revelation.

Before Saturday night’s game, the Leafs had worked their way to sixth in the Eastern Conference, seven points ahead of ninth, with what could charitably be described as average ’keeping. The Leafs’ No. 1, James Reimer, was 26th in the league in goals-against average and 22nd in save percentage. His partner, Ben Scrivens, sat 25th and 18th in the same categories.

Luongo, at the very least, would solidify the Leafs’ keeping for the next three to five seasons and improve their chances in this season’s playoffs. That, at least, is what the Canucks are trying to sell to Nonis.

He just doesn’t seem to be buying it.

The Leafs’ GM is unconvinced there’s a market for Luongo that stretches beyond the GTA. As such, he hasn’t felt compelled to offer Bozak, who becomes an unrestricted free agent this summer, or someone comparable, to make the deal.

That, in Nonis’s mind, leaves him and Canucks GM Mike Gillis as the only two players at the table.

Now, if you’re familiar with the history of the two men, that alone is pretty juicy. Gillis, of course, succeeded Nonis as the Canucks’ GM and Nonis has issues with the way that occurred. That doesn’t mean he’d hold up this deal to stick it to Gillis. But let’s just say the relationship between the two GMs is part of this story.

Gillis, for his part, has to come out of the deadline with some help for his team. The Canucks’ current six-game winning streak has eased the pressure to some degree, but Gillis has to offer something in the way of help to his beleaguered troops. The organization can’t expect Cory Schneider to play like Superman every night and the team to keep grinding out 2-1 wins when they’re missing so many pieces. The plain fact is, after the Sedins and Alex Burrows, the Canucks’ forward lines resemble an expansion team’s more than a playoff team’s, and Gillis owes it to his core players to bring in reinforcements.

So, is Bozak the answer? Well, he never has been. But you put him on a Canucks team with Ryan Kesler and, all of a sudden, things change. You’ve got a speed line with something like Kesler, Jannik Hansen and Mason Raymond. You’ve got a strong two-way line with something like Bozak, Zack Kassian and Chris Higgins. You’ve still got the twins and Burrows. You’ve also got the makings of a team that could do some damage in the playoffs.

That’s why Gillis has to come out of this deadline with something. Nonis, for his part, has to ask himself what Luongo could provide the Leafs for the next four seasons versus what Bozak could provide the Leafs for the next 12 games and the playoffs.

The answer, it seems, is pretty easy. But there’s nothing easy about any of this.

lushop.jpg

http://espn.go.com/b...ew-luongo-talks

Pierre LeBrun ESPN

Rumblings: Leafs, Canucks renew Luongo talks

Well you knew this story would get revisited before Wednesday’s trade deadline.

The Toronto Maple Leafs and Vancouver Canucks have renewed trade talks on Roberto Luongo.

My TSN colleague Darren Dreger reported as much Friday; Damien Cox of the Toronto Star also had a story about it in Friday’s edition.

I gathered some of my own intel on Friday and here’s what I came up with:

Last week in Phoenix when the Canucks were in town there, Vancouver assistant GM Laurence Gilman met with his old pal and mentor Cliff Fletcher, senior adviser with the Leafs. Those two guys talk all the time but, on this occasion, Fletcher revisited the Luongo dialogue with Gilman.

That conversation between Gilman and Fletcher sparked Vancouver GM Mike Gillis to follow up and phone Toronto GM Dave Nonis this past week to further explore those talks.

This in itself is a story because Gillis and Nonis, I don’t believe, have ever spoken to each other regarding any trade, as some ill will existed after the former replaced the latter as GM in Vancouver. Usually it’s been other members of each front office communicating on Luongo, not Gillis and Nonis straight on. So that’s perhaps an important shift in this story.

Gillis and Nonis spoke this week and, while there’s no deal that’s imminent and there may never be a deal, it certainly appears there’s groundwork built here for the two teams to keep tabs on this until Wednesday.

Nonis has always kept interest in Luongo, whom he traded for in Vancouver when he was GM, but talks went silent between both clubs for quite a while until last week.

It was predictable both clubs would eventually circle back to each other, the Leafs always being the most obvious fit for Luongo.

One source told ESPN.com Friday that two other NHL teams have also called on Luongo over the past week. Though how serious that interest is remains difficult to ascertain.

As we touched on earlier this week, Calgary’s Miikka Kiprusoff is also of interest to the Leafs. What’s unclear is whether the Flames netminder would want a trade or not. The Flames need to figure that out with him before Wednesday. If "Kipper" is up for it, I think the Leafs would explore that. He’s got only one year left on his deal compared to Luongo’s monster contract which runs through 2021-22.

Still, if the Canucks are willing to lower the price tag somewhat on Luongo, it could make for an interesting decision for the Leafs.

Luongo, 33, remains a topflight netminder and should be for another four or five years.

The Canucks, of course, continue the search for a No. 3 center. Whether they can find that from the Leafs or use whatever they get from Toronto in a possible Luongo deal to get that No. 3 center, remains to be seen.

game7-tunnelpg-vertical.jpg

http://www.tsn.ca/bl...nzie/?id=419433

MAPLE LEAFS COULD ADD VETERAN IN NET UNDER RIGHT CIRCUMSTANCES

Bob McKenzie TSN

luongo_smirk.jpg

With each passing day, the Toronto Maple Leafs are looking more and more like a playoff team, and with each passing hour towards Wednesday's 3pm et/Noon pt trade deadline, the Leafs look like a team that would, under the right circumstances, like to add a veteran goaltender with playoff experience.

The key phrase there is "under the right circumstances."

Toronto general manager Dave Nonis' preference likely leans more towards Calgary's Miikka Kiprusoff than Vancouver's Roberto Luongo, though there have been recent discussions on both.

The Leafs are trying to find out from Calgary whether Kiprusoff leaving the Flames is a realistic scenario. His situation is well documented. He and his wife had recently had a baby and the last thing the veteran Finn wants to do is to pick up stakes and be a trade deadline mercenary for the balance of this season, especially if, as the story goes, he may be retiring at season's end.

There were reports Kiprusoff told the Flames he'll refuse to report if traded but while he's not keen on moving, Kiprusoff's agent simply told Calgary that they should consult with the goalie before making a deal and treat it on a case-by-case basis.

If he's willing to move, and that's what Toronto is currently waiting to find out, Kiprusoff could probably be had for a draft pick. Nonis might favour that price over the live body or bodies that would be required to get Luongo, who has nine years and more than $40 million owing on his contract. But if Kiprusoff isn't moving, then Luongo is being looked at.

The Canucks feel there's a Luongo deal to be made with Toronto. Toronto and Vancouver lieutenants Cliff Fletcher and Laurence Gilman met last week in Phoenix and had Luongo dialogue, leading Canuck GM Mike Gillis, for the first time, to talk directly to Leaf GM Nonis in the last few days.

Vancouver's asking price hasn't really dropped all that dramatically. Of course it no longer includes the emerging Nazem Kadri as it did in the summer, but the Canucks are still looking for a centre, Tyler Bozak obviously, a prospect now not named Kadri and a pick.

The Leafs are in the process of deciding what they need more - a vet goalie like Luongo or to hold onto Bozak, even though he's unrestricted at the end of the year and likely asking for a lot more money than Toronto is willing to pay.

This recent Toronto-Vancouver dialogue certainly suggests there's at least some chance Luongo could be moved before the deadline but there are no guarantees either, as the Kiprusoff option and/or holding onto Bozak could still win out for the Leafs.

But there's no denying that, under the right circumstances, the Leafs are looking at adding a veteran presence in net to work alongside James Reimer.

8160185.jpg

http://www.thefourth.../van130329.html

The Canucks have also shown interest in Leafs wingers Matt Frattin and Nikolai Kulemin, and defensemen Jake Gardiner, Carl Gunnarsson and Cody Franson, but none of these players helps Vancouver at the center position.

Gillis could also revisit talks with the Edmonton Oilers, something he's fairly reluctant to do and a team that too won't help the Canucks center woes.

The Chicago Blackhawks and Philadelphia Flyers aren't options at this point, while the wildcard team could be the Tampa Bay Lightning, but they too don't have a No. 2 center to package.

If the Canucks trade Luongo before the trade deadline, it likely won't include a second-line center, forcing Gillis to look elsewhere.

http://www.thefourth.../tor130330.html

Talks between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Vancouver Canucks resurfaced this week, as it's been widely reported, but it might take another team's assistance to get a deal done, a league source told TFP.

The Leafs and Canucks have revisited the possibility of shipping goalie Roberto Luongo to Toronto in exchange for center Tyler Bozak, a prospect or two, and possibly a draft pick and/or backup goaltender.

Leafs forward Nikolai Kulemin, defensemen John-Michael Liles and Korbinian Holzer, and prospects Tyler Biggs, Stuart Percy and Jesse Blacker have also been attached to a possible trade.

http://ca.sports.yah...07319--nhl.html

The way things have gone for GM Mike Gillis with Luongo, and the way things are going for the goalie market, the Canucks’ return for Luongo might make the Flames’ return for Iginla look like the Lindros bounty for Quebec.

7937330.jpg

Farhan Lalji@FarhanLaljiTSN1m

Gillman on #Luongo trade talks: "Mike is in discussions with multiple teams... Talks are beyond the 'tire kicking' stage" #canucks

More Gillman: "We need a 3rd line center, but no one is going to 'steal' Roberto from us. We're not moving him for a rental. We need something for today & tomorrow"

Sportsnet@Sportsnet1m

Luongo refused to waive no-trade clause to join #Leafs. #Canucks http://bit.ly/16fkkhe

Luke_Fox-115x115.png

Luke Fox

April 1, 2013, 1:01 PM

Had he not been banking on a job in Florida, Vancouver Canucks goaltender Roberto Luongo would likely be wearing a Toronto Maple Leafs uniform right now.

As reported by Hockey Central insider Doug MacLean on HC @ Noon Monday, a tentative off-season deal for Luongo was in place between the Leafs and Canucks, but Luongo refused to waive his no-trade clause at the time because the well-paid goaltender was led to believe a deal could also be struck with the Florida Panthers, his former club and his first choice for a landing spot.

“Luongo, at that particular time, believed that a deal was going to happen in Florida. He really believed a deal was coming through in Florida,” MacLean said Monday. “He was told by somebody close to the Panthers that a deal was going to happen, they were going to find a way and to be patient. Luongo turned down the deal with the Leafs. He would not waive his no-trade (to join) the Leafs, so the deal was off.”

Had Luongo known the Florida negotiations would fall through, he would have accepted a trade to Toronto, MacLean explained.

“So it wasn’t (Canucks GM) Mike Gillis getting greedy,” MacLean said. “Now the Florida thing falls on his face, and he’s disappointed he turned down the (Leafs).”

Before being traded by then-Panthers GM Mike Keenan to Vancouver on June 23, 2006, Luongo played five seasons in Florida. It was there he was awarded his first Vezina Trophy nomination, in 2003-04. Luongo still spends the bulk of his off-season in Florida, where he met his wife.

Now the backup to Cory Schneider in Vancouver, Luongo has gone 7-4-3 with a pair of shutouts in 16 games played this season. He has a 2.44 goals-against average and .904 save percentage.

Luongo, who carries with him a $5.33-million annual cap hit, has been the focus of trade rumours since being supplanted by Schneider as Vancouver’s No. 1 goalie in the 2012 playoffs.

The NHL’s trade deadline is Wednesday at 3 p.m. ET

Archived