The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[NEWS ONLY] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Rumours and Reports, with warnings issued to those not following this)

I'd already posted this in the discussion thread, but thought I'd repost it here with just a part of it to highlight a few interesting points. There's more in the article, including talking to Theodore and Clemmensen.

Roberto Luongo looking over the shoulders of Panthers goalies Clemmensen and Theodore

"It's been a tough summer, not knowing what's going to happen,'' said Luongo, 33, while changing in the cramped visitor's locker room a few feet from where several Panthers, including goalie coach Robb Tallas, were skating in an unofficial practice.

"It's tough to not know what your future is going to be with your family and everything. There were a couple of stressful moments, but we're still here and everything's good.

"[The Panthers] makes sense for myself, for my career and my family,'' added Luongo, who still has 10 years at $5.33 million per remaining on his deal. "That being said. There's obvious other options as well. This is a preferred location for obvious reasons but I'm not shutting the door on other possibilities if it comes up.''

Luongo, still the Panthers all-time leading goalie in games played (317), victories (108) and shutouts (26), said he hasn't spoken with Gillis recently, but he believes that his boss is waiting for the best deal. One thing Luongo knows for certain is that he isn't ready to be a backup, despite his less-than-sterling playoff results in recent years.

"Obviously, I want to start. That's a given,'' said Luongo, an avid cyclist who often rides to Palm Beach and back to his home in Parkland as part of training regimen.

"You're dealt different situations in life. You've got to handle them the right way. I don't know what's going to happen this year. The only thing I could do is work hard and have a positive atittude. At the end of the day, I'm sure everything is going to work out.''

http://www.cknw.com/...aspx?ID=1769126

Gillis Still Waiting For An Offer

Vancouver (CKNW/AM980)

9/6/2012

Canucks general manager Mike Gillis says until there is a new collective bargaining agreement in place, he doesn't expect to trade Roberto Luongo.

In an interview to air on the David Pratt show tonight (7-9pm on CKNW), Gillis says he's had discussions with several teams regarding Luongo, but he hasn't been offered anything close to what he's looking for in return.

"We are going to try and get players who can improve us in areas where we think we need improvement," Gillis says.

But if they don't get what they're looking for Gillis says, "we'd be happy to have him back and we'd be happy to have him part of this team."

Meantime, Gillis also says they remain in contact with Shane Doan's agent, but they are in the same boat as the other teams who have made a contract offer, they are left to wait for Doan's decision either on or before next Friday's deadline.

Panthers GM Dale Tallon spoke with Canucks GM Mike Gillis in June about a possible Roberto Luongo trade, but talks have since cooled. The Canucks want a number of the Panthers top young players, but the Panthers aren’t interested in that.

“I don’t know what to expect. I’m just treating this as a regular start to a season,” he said. “For me, things are the same. I’m going back to Vancouver and I’m going to work hard. There are things I don’t control. But I’m going to make the best of it.

“Of course this is strange. I don’t know what the future holds. You don’t know when a trade will happen or whether it even will. There have been some stressful moments. But I’m still here, doing the job I love.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/09/13/v-fullstory/2999694/reunion-with-roberto-luongo-might.html

Link: Landing in Toronto amidst Leafs’ goalie dysfunction might drive Luongo nuts

Portion of article:

In recent weeks, Luongo has come to the realization that his hope of being traded to Florida is hanging on by a thread, if at all.

And if Florida is out, and that’s how things looked before the lockout, what’s left? Toronto has already made a solid offer for Luongo, and when asked about a deal to the Leafs, GM Mike Gillis said there were several assets the Buds have which can get it done.

Gillis was also asked recently about his relationship with Burke, and said they get along “well enough” to pull the trigger on this thing.

It just re-affirmed what many have thought for months — the Leafs make the most sense. But what would that mean for Luongo? If he is struggling in October will assistant GM Dave Nonis be knocking on his door to go over paddle-down techniques?

If there is encouraging news for Luongo, it’s that before the CBA expired at least one mystery team, and maybe two, entered the Luongo sweepstakes. Team Mysterious wasn’t one of the ones that had previously been attached to a Luongo trade in rumours, so scratch Columbus off your list along with the obvious ones.

The Edmonton Oilers were floated as the potential suitor in question, and on some levels it makes a lot of sense. Nikolai Khabibulin will be 40 in January, and just may retire if this season is wiped out. Devan Dubnyk has improved slowly over the years, and shown some promise. But he’s hardly a sure thing as a No. 1 goalie in the NHL and there is no prospect behind him anywhere near ready to push for playing time.

Todays Insider Trading briefly discussed Luongo (Oct. 4 Inside Trading -right hand side vid): http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/ontsn/#

Dreger basically said Canucks say there are 5 teams in the mix. He thinks Florida is still the front runner. But Florida needs Van to take money back, and Gillis won't do it. He said "Its been suggested Gillis would ultimately waive Roberto Luongo to avoid taking on that money But that sounds unlikely". Dreger thinks a Luongo deal will likely be done when a lockout is lifted.

Archived