The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[NEWS ONLY] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Rumours and Reports, with warnings issued to those not following this)

Bjugstad/Luongo info:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/173584811.html?refer=y

Into June, Bjugstad started to lean toward returning to school. Then, in late June, Bjugstad got wind that the Vancouver Canucks were pursuing him in a trade for goalie Roberto Luongo contingent upon signing Cory Schneider long-term. The trade talk came directly from the Canucks' brass, who wanted to know if Bjugstad planned to leave school. Panthers General Manager Dale Tallon heard about it and made clear to Bjugstad that the Panthers were not trading him.

"Draft day, I was driving and I heard the talk that I might be getting traded to Vancouver, which was really random to me," Bjugstad said. "It didn't go through, but it showed me ... it's a business. My uncle [former Gopher and North Star Scott Bjugstad] talks about it all the time. College hockey, you're playing with your buddies. ... Get to the NHL, and it's a business. It's not a bad business by any means, so I can't complain if it's my job someday."

In his ESPN chat today LeBrun got a question about whether Luongo will be traded when the lockout ends. His response was:

"yes I suspect Luongo would be one of the first trades..."

Now, I might be reading too much into this, but to me that suggests there is at the very least a tentative deal in place for Lu, and that the trigger could be pulled very quickly once the lockout ends.

Link

Article: Luongo going to the Maple Leafs?

Here's a 'portion' of the article:

Toronto was closest to a deal for Luongo at the draft, in a negotiation which included the Leafs offering Luke Schenn and the Canucks countering by asking for Jake Gardiner-plus-plus-plus.

There were was a moment in there where Vancouver thought they were about to get a deal done. But there were rumours Luongo was unwilling to waive his no-trade to go to the Leafs. Really, to go anywhere but Florida.

Luongo then was still hopeful a deal to the Panthers could work out and his agent was working the angle behind the scenes. But Luongo had something of an epiphany in September when he met with Canucks management in Vancouver and was told Florida was all but out.

Near the same time as the summit meeting, Vancouver GM Mike Gillis said the Leafs had several assets which could get a trade for Luongo done.

Sportsnet’s John Shannon reported Wednesday night the Leafs have agreed to move one of those assets and as a result the two teams have agreed to a deal in principle which will be announced sometime after the CBA is done.

Multiple Canucks’ sources played down the report, including Gillis. But they had reactions which needled more toward the category of a non-denial denials. The Province asked Gillis if the deal with Toronto was close, citing the Sportsnet report. He managed to both deny the report and dance around it all in one answer. “The definition of close is different for everybody,” Gillis told The Province and TEAM 1040. “I’m not sure why John would say that because that’s certainly not the case. “Everybody is also entitled to speculate on whatever they want to speculate on. “We’ve moved very slowly on any discussions with Roberto –- we’ll trade him when we get want we want to get for him, or we won’t trade him, and either way it’s fine with me. “You know, if we can get something that’s going to help us and move our team forward in different areas, we’re certainly going to consider it. “But that hasn’t occurred yet, so I’m not sure why that would be said.”

The type of player the Canucks have been seeking in return isn’t a secret. They have wanted a promising young player who can contribute in the NHL soon on an entry-level contract. The Canucks need two things — cap space and youth.

Before negotiations with Florida fell totally off the rails, the Canucks were chasing highly touted 6-foot-4 centre Nick Bjugstad. The Leafs closest comparable is probably 6-foot-5 centre Joe Colborne.

Any deal still has to go through Luongo, who has final say with his no-trade. But he wants to start and move on from Vancouver. It leaves him with limited options. Interestingly, in the weeks leading up to the CBA expiring, the Canucks were still entertaining offers, including a bid for Luongo from the Edmonton Oilers and another from a mystery team which got involved late. And by mystery team we mean not one of the usual suspects, including Chicago and Columbus.

It’s conceivable that, even if the Toronto deal is close, one of these teams could still win over the Canucks with a terrific offer at the midnight hour. So, even if the trade isn’t quite wrapped up, it certainly doesn’t hurt the Canucks that other suitors believe it is. The Canucks up until now have taken their time with the Luongo trade and this report creates urgency.

today on Pass It To Bulis:

The Roberto Luongo trade, like the CBA, is being negotiated in public

By now, you could probably publish an anthology of the digital ink that’s been spilled speculating on Roberto Luongo’s next destination, and not just some sissy course-pack. This thing would rival the Norton Shakespeare with the writing of Thomas Drance alone — in the past month, at that.

Yeah, we’re still talking about Funny Bob. If you thought that the expiration of the collective bargaining agreement and the delay in getting a new one might put this topic on the back burner — especially since it’s literally impossible for Luongo to be traded right now — think again. Last week, John Shannon got things started right back up by saying that a deal to the Toronto Maple Leafs “done”.

What he meant, since he’s as aware as anybody that you can’t trade players without a CBA and hockey totally doesn’t have one of those right now, was that it’s “all but done”. I spoke to him on the phone over the weekend, and he clarified: “Here’s what I truly believe: with the information that I have, once the collective bargaining agreement is done and all the rules and regulations are in place, that a deal between Brian Burke and the Canucks will be made.”

Mike Gillis has since issued a full denial of Shannon’s report, but Shannon stuck to his guns in a Sportsnet piece over the weekend. Granted, this line tripped me up somewhat:

“I do not know who or what [Luongo] will be traded for, and believe it or not, I don’t think general managers Mike Gillis and Brian Burke know either. The rules of any new collective bargaining agreement will dictate the actual transaction.”

In other words, the deal is only all but done in the sense that it’s not done at all? Right on.

Gillis and Burke are negotiating, though, and I would suggest that the last five days aren’t just evidence of that — they are that. This deal, like the CBA, is being negotiated in public.

After all, while some trade rumours are completely made up, (it’s quite easy!) others are strategically planted as a means of gaining leverage. In the case of Burke and Gillis, there is plenty to be gained.

The two GMs are in similar situations. Both lost a lot of face last year after their franchises performed below the expectations of the fanbase and, considering the fanbases involved, neither will be forgiven if the same occurs again this year. A Luongo trade could be the answer on both ends. Most pundits agree that acquiring Luongo turns the Maple Leafs into a playoff team. Meanwhile, trading Luongo should reap the piece or pieces the Canucks need to make another major run at the Stanley Cup.

Gillis and Burke know this, and their fans know it too, which is why the GMs have been coyly stringing them along since April. There’s pressure to act from both fanbases. It’s why their offers keep coming out. It’s why these names keep flying around.

Speaking of which, here are the new names, courtesy Thomas Drance. From Canucks Army:

I find it interesting that Cox and Botch’s reports by and large corroborate each other. Where Botchford says that the Canucks counter offer at the draft included “Gardiner-plus-plus-plus,” Damien Cox does some rumour algebra, and produces three assets: a first round pick, Matt Frattin and Tyler Bozak.

Of course, the corroboration only goes so far, and the writer writing for a Vancouver audience brought up super sized prospect Joe Colborne as a possible centre piece, while the writer writing for a Toronto audience claimed that the replacement level Tyler Bozak is the object of Vancouver’s desire. But I think it’s pretty likely that Botchford and Cox are both talking about the same Vancouver counter proposal, and I think it’s probable that their sources on this are sound.

My guess, since Colborne is the same size, age, and position as Nick Bjustad, whom the Canucks were asking from Florida, and Bozak is effectively Andrew Ebbett but worse defensively, is that the Canucks are asking for Colborne, the Leafs are offering Bozak, and these public negotiations are one side’s way of forcing the other side to acquiesce.

Who will cave? My money is on the Maple Leafs, especially if we get a half-season instead of a full one. While Gillis looked foolish for holding Luongo through the draft, then through the summer, and finally right into the lockout, this thing is starting to turn in his favour like a bad joke repeated until it becomes funny again. Brian Burke needs the Leafs to make the playoffs, and as as the games fall off the schedule and the margin of error in a lockout-shortened season slims, his need to have his goaltending situation shored up from day one becomes more and more glaring.

• 2 weeks later...

^^ Full article: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=645327

Of course, lockout or no lockout, fans want to know about your unique goaltending situation. How do you view what is in front of you -- is it an opportunity for the organization or strictly business?

"Well, I look at it in multiple ways. I really like Roberto [Luongo]. I like him as a person. I like him as a goaltender. He's a phenomenal guy, a phenomenally hard-working player, zero maintenance. He is the kind of guy that any team would like to have. If we're going to make a transaction, do anything, it's going to be done so we can improve our team in other ways.

"When you take an All-Star player off your team, you have to do that with a lot of faith that you're improving in different areas. And, you know, I don't see that big of an issue if Roberto is with us. I don't see that as an issue at all. I think he's a true professional and I know he and Cory [schneider] have a great relationship. You know, that may end up being the plan depending on when we get started. I think they would both be fine with it. We're going to do what is best for our hockey team. We're going to make sure we're in the best position to win the Stanley Cup and that may be with both goaltenders."

From @News1130Sports:

#Leafs gm Brian Burke on Fan radio in T-O saying that that he emphatically denies a deal for #Canucks goalie Roberto Loungo is in place.

Burke says there is no deal in place for Loungo or any other player with the Vancouver Canucks.

Burke says he and Mike Gillis disagree on things time to time but we agree there is no deal in place for Loungo.

Gillis is talking his position and not the reality of a situation he has created that could/would disrupt his team.

Anybody that questions that is naive.Maybe you should consider why you are knocking other posters,Gump,with childish antics bereft of substance?

Jason Botchford@botchford

GMMG on luongo trade: "We're one the league's wealthiest teams. We don't have fire sales."

As for Gillis not making any 'fire sales' ,many have argued he sold Hodgson in one.

Then again ,he traded for Gragnani,the power d man he coveted that was then released without adding value in return,the same story with Sulzer and Pahlsson.

Four Canucks (counting Pahlsson) were lost for one Zach Kassian.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Josh Rimer and Jason Botchford both reporting Luongo is already a Leaf.

rimer.png

Once a CBA is agreed to and the lockout is over I wonder how long it takes The Maple Leafs to announce that Roberto Luongo is a Leaf?

— Josh Rimer (@JoshRimerHockey)

@kerbjack27
percent chance of that - 0.0%

— Jason Botchford (@botchford)

Wonder who we're going to have back Schneider up?

Archived