The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[NEWS ONLY] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Rumours and Reports, with warnings issued to those not following this)

The following players have been added to the injury/unavailable list today, for "undisclosed" reasons:

Florida Panthers: Erik Gubrandson, Sean Bergenheim, and Marcel Goc

New York Islanders: Josh Bailey, Lubomir Visnovsky, and Jesse Joensuu

This could be nothing...but on the other hand, that reeks of two potential Luongo trades on the table, with MG to make his decision today. I like them both, but give the edge to Florida.

^Injury Reports Updated Jan 21st.

-Panthers' Gudbranson (Shoulder) To Miss At Least Another Week: Erik Gudbranson (shoulder) will miss at least another week, the Miami Herald reports. Updated Jan 21st.

Erik Gudbranson still need additional recovery time from the offseason shoulder injury he acquired while wakeboarding, making it unlikely he returns until February. Once healthy, Gudbranson figures to be a member of the team's third defensive pairing.

-Panthers' Goc (Ankle) Expected To Miss Another Week: Marcel Goc (ankle) is expected to miss at least another week, the Miami Herald reports.

Marcel Goc had already been ruled out of the team's first three games, and a return doesn't look especially forthcoming at the moment. While Goc could merit consideration for the second line when he returns, coach Kevin Dineen said he'd reassess his lineup once Doc is healthy before making a change.

-Panthers' Bergenheim (Groin) Suspended Without Pay: Sean Bergenheim (groin) is suspended without pay until he is medically cleared, the Miami Herald reports.

Given that Sean Bergenheim hasn't been cleared yet, he'll miss Saturday's season opener against Carolina. It's unclear if he'll be out beyond then, but it seems likely that he misses at least another game or two.

-Isles' Joensuu (Groin) Not Expected Back Anytime Soon: Jesse Joensuu (groin) is not close to returning to the ice, New York Newsday reports.

Jesse Joensuu's groin injury is preventing him from doing as much as skating on his own, so it looks like he could have a lengthier timetable than originally thought. The Islanders officially suspended him last week after he got injured overseas, but he'll be reinstated after he passes a physical.

-Isles' Bailey Hoping To Skate Monday: Josh Bailey (knee) is hoping to skate Monday, according to Newsday.

A best-case scenario for Josh Bailey is a return to practice in about 10 days. Bailey has never truly found his goal-scoring touch at the NHL level, but the Isles will welcome him back with open arms once he is ready to play again.

-Isles' Visnovsky Awaiting Son's Surgery: Lubomir Visnovsky (suspension) will report to the Islanders after his son has minor surgery, according to the Islanders Point Blank.

The surgery is set for Feb. 9. Assuming all goes well, this would mean Lubomir Visnovsky could possibly play for the Islanders in mid-February, thus missing at least 11 games, or about a quarter of the season.

On Luongo...

Sources tell me talks with the Flyers haven't occurred since before the season, but the Oilers are putting together a hell of a package...still, all things equal, Gillis wants him out of the division and out of the Conference. My money would still be on Toronto, even though the Leafs are playing good hockey right now.

More to come...

This is from Eklund. But who can we believe at this point of time.

Go Canucks Go :canucks:

Cheers.. :towel:

More from the TEAM 1040 interview;

“I’m fairly pragmatic. I don’t necessarily care about that, I care about our team and having the best team here in Vancouver that we can have. So if that means in our conference, that’s what it means.”

Listen to the audio:

http://www.teamradio.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Mike_Gillis_with_BMac_Jan24th.mp3

Bruce Garrioch

Lots of teams are waiting to see where the dominos fall with Vancouver G Roberto Luongo before making a move for a netminder. Canucks GM Mike Gillis has told several teams he's not doing anything until he gets his asking price. Yes, the Edmonton Oilers have what it takes to acquire Luongo, but he wouldn't approve a trade there. The Panthers don't want to make a deal unless Gillis is willing to take cash back. The Canucks know the pressure is mounting in some markets to win and they'll find a desperate GM trying to save his job, maybe even Washington or Philly.

@kcarrera: I'm told rumors of #Caps interest in Roberto Luongo are completely unfounded. There hasn't been a single discussion about acquiring him.

@SWhyno: #Caps have not have single conversation about Roberto Luongo with #Canucks. Any trade speculation is unfounded.

@FriedgeHNIC: Two primary Capitals beat reporters there.

And in reply to FriedgeHNIC:

@wyshynski: @FriedgeHNIC Quite the push-back there from the Caps. #DothProtestTooMuch

Excerpt from a longer Van Sun article

"There is a lot of talk going on," Gillis said in an interview Friday, which was a day off for the players. "But there is this presumption that you pick up the phone and make a trade. Well, it doesn't happen that way and there is usually a long process building up to it and I think Roberto has come in here and has continued to show what a quality person and quality goaltender he is. And if you want to acquire that, you have to pay a price for it."

In other words, in Gillis's opinion, Luongo's solid play so far this season has only served to increase his value on the trade market.

"Every team is discussing options all the time and we're just like them, we are discussing different possibilities all the time," he said. "We're open to those discussions if they can improve our hockey team. Right now, we have two great goalies, we're perfectly happy if we continue this way right through to the end of the playoffs. If something comes our way that we think improves our team in a different way which allows us a better opportunity to win the Stanley Cup, we are going to look at it."

Gillis continues to dismiss suggestions that having both goalies here is, or could become, a significant distraction for the team. He seemed to suggest that in some ways keeping both goalies makes perfect sense, at least for the remainder of this season. A major cut in next year's salary cap would make it nearly impossible next season.

"There is going to be a lot of hockey to be played in a very short period of time," Gillis said. "Look at our schedule, the last two months of the season it's almost like a playoff schedule, without a break between rounds, and then playoffs begin. Our objective is to get into the playoffs as a team, not as individuals, but as a team.

"I have complete confidence these guys are going to play a lot of hockey, they are going to support one another, that their teammates support them and we don't see an issue inside our dressing room. I guess the questions will continue to be asked, but you guys will get the same answers for as long as it takes."

The Canucks, meanwhile, are off to their best start in Gillis's tenure as GM, something he said is the result of a team effort.

George McPhee, who's team has numerous superstars (Ovechkin) and performance versus expectations sulks;

McPhee also acknowledged that more is needed from his goaltending tandem of Braden Holtby, 22, and Michael Neuvirth, 24. The Capitals have allowed a League-worst 3.73 goals-against per game.

"With respect to getting itchy fingers and whatever, if there's something I can do to make the club better, I will," he said. "I've had some real good discussions with ownership over the last couple of days and they're obviously not very happy. But they've been supportive. At times like this ownership can pile on and make things worse. Or ownership can say 'How can we help and what we can do to make it better?' And it's been the latter. It's been 'How can we help, what can we do to make it better?'…"

"That being said, if there's something I can do to help the club out I will."

http://www.nhl.com/i...vid=DL|NHL|home

Let the speculation begin on the Lou discussion thread!

Some smoke in Washington might lead to fire. There are rumours growing about Johansson and Nuevirth likely to be traded for Luongo. Johansson is currently not travelling with the team, and coach Oates has been very wishy-washy on why that is -

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/capitals-watch/2013/feb/11/capitals-practice-update-marcus-johansson-not-ice/

Although not particularly trustworthy, Hockeyinsider posted the following on Feb. 8: http://www.insiderrumors.com/2013/vancouver-canucks/capitals-offer-on-the-table-for-luongo/

Washington Capitals message board is all over it: http://fans.capitals.nhl.com/community/topic/61787-johansson-neuvirth-to-trade-for-luongo/

What do you make of Marcus Johansson? Another Swede, he's a team-worst -7. A first-round pick from 09.

Archived