The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

Huberdeau will make the team this year and Fleischmann is also a natural center who can play the wing. Mark Santorelli should be better this yaer as well after a tough sophmore year.

If any GM on any team with Stephen Weiss considered him "untouchable" then that team is in a whole world of hurt. Hes an average 2nd line player on a good team. That should never be considered untouchable. Its like calling Booth untouchable...

Sorry but I disagree - Garrison was the most important position to fill, and if the Canucks were to sign Doan, he is enough for the top six and rounds it out nicely - Daniel, Booth, Burrows and Doan are entirely capable top six wingers imo - not sure who would need to be upgraded upon. In that case, what we need in the short term from the Luongo deal is a big center - preferably young and a two-way player who could move from the 2nd line to the third when Kesler returns. I like Lapierre and Schroeder, but imo a center would be the best addition, and a young right handed blueliner/prospect.

The Canucks have a number of guys improving, and a few of them are on the verge of making the NHL, another thing to consider. Regarding the bottom six it's hard to improve on HIggins and Hansen on the third line, Lapierre centering the fourth - aside from them, the Canucks have Kassian, Volpatti, Weise, Malhotra and Raymond to round out the bottom six, so nothing urgent really, but if they could pry Neil out of Ottawa I'd be ecstatic...

ps. glad the Nash and Weber sagas are over - now we can get to the real news.

However Doan isn't signed.

No real argument with your thinking otherwise.

No way Neil is coming out of Ottawa after the playoffs he had. A player like him would answer a lot of Vancouver needs. I still question who you have on the left side with Kesler and Booth if you are trading Lou for a center. Sign Doan and you drop Burrows to the 3rd? I haven't seen him play the left side.

It will be an interesting couple of weeks.

In the CAP crazy world where teams are crapting money out for sub par players, weiss is untouchable. 3 million for this guy is a steal we all know it and its his last year at this price. He is a UFA after that and we cannot afford to pay him 4-5 million. With elder and burrows and Shane Doan (if he signs) we will loose weiss as a rental player. Its easy play for me, Shawn Matthais a 1st Jose Theodore for Bobby Lu. I know we are getting robbed its the worst deal ever! The fact is this is what will get a deal done. We will get piece just like cbj got for nash, depth players. We are not going to get any of flordias core players!

I know. Its quite amusing to see person A and person B bickering over it. To me the Luongo trade will be a Hockey trade. Say X team has a playmaking center or a d man they'd be willing to spare, and that team needs a goalie, and we have that with Luongo.

Not exactly luo talk but previously I had said that my ball hockey team is playing against Petrovic's team in the playoffs In the previous luongo thread and I was going to give a detailed analysis on his ball hockey skills every guy that I have played against that has been drafted or played some sort of pro hockey usually doesn't play their position Petrovic on the other hand was playing D his stick handling was unreal and he could spring guys like crazy he didn't really shoot much and was an average runner. He wasn't the best player in our games that's for sure. Btw we won series, went the distance and we won 2-1.

However Doan isn't signed.

No real argument with your thinking otherwise.

No way Neil is coming out of Ottawa after the playoffs he had. A player like him would answer a lot of Vancouver needs. I still question who you have on the left side with Kesler and Booth if you are trading Lou for a center. Sign Doan and you drop Burrows to the 3rd? I haven't seen him play the left side.

It will be an interesting couple of weeks.

It's really simple.

Scenario A: A team gives in and offers us a deal closer to what he's worth a combo of a top 6 forward/top 4 Dman, blue chip prospect/picks.

Scenario B: Teams continue to try and low ball us, in which case Gillis will have no issues rolling with the 1A 1B system until someone's goaltending system fails, in which case they pay us even more. Make no doubts about it, everybody in the organization will know it's Luongo on the way out and that it will be Schneider in net come April.

The bottom line is, we've owned the prez trophy 2 years in a row, it's done nothing for us. This trade should give us the best chance at winning the cup, so it doesn't make a difference if it happens todday or in October or November.

It's really simple.

Scenario A: A team gives in and offers us a deal closer to what he's worth a  combo of a top 6 forward/top 4 Dman, blue chip prospect/picks.

Scenario B: Teams continue to try and low ball us, in which case Gillis will have no issues rolling with the 1A 1B system until someone's goaltending system fails, in which case they pay us even more. Make no doubts about it, everybody in the organization will know it's Luongo on the way out and that it will be Schneider in net come April.

The bottom line is, we've owned the prez trophy 2 years in a row, it's done nothing for us. This trade should give us the best chance at winning the cup, so it doesn't make a difference if it happens todday or in October or November.

Archived