The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

Yes - but YOU don't work for Mike Illitch. You said "I imagine Devellano's boss..."

So what am I doing? Just throwing the totally ridiculous "you can't speak for Washington!" argument that you used at me right back in your face. If I can't make an opinion about what Washington might want to do given their goaltending situation, why can you make an opinion on Mike Illitch's feelings?

What's your point? Didn't you read my last response?

IT'S TOO LATE! The damage has been done. It doesn't matter that I think Luongo is the more logical goaltender for this team, he is gone. And when I wrote that, I knew then that he was as good as gone, too.

The point is that Mike Gillis has made a MISTAKE by not trading Schneider. Do you understand?

Yes, exactly! You're finally getting it!

The jist of it is that Mike Gillis got GREEDY! He loved having two elite goaltenders, and even though Schneider should've probably been moved after his rookie season in the NHL, he just instead hung on to them. The gamble worked until Luongo got pulled in the playoffs, the team went forward with Schneider, and the rest is history.

We're now left trading a guy when his value has never been lower. That's why it was a mistake. Trading is a buy low/sell high game. It would've been far smarter to trade Schneider when his value was very high, and thus gotten back a piece of very high value himself. As I've said before, the fundamental equation is this:

Vancouver Canucks with Luongo plus consideration received for Schneider

are better than

Vancouver Canucks with Schneider plus consideration received for Luongo

Yes, exactly! You're finally getting it!

The jist of it is that Mike Gillis got GREEDY! He loved having two elite goaltenders, and even though Schneider should've probably been moved after his rookie season in the NHL, he just instead hung on to them. The gamble worked until Luongo got pulled in the playoffs, the team went forward with Schneider, and the rest is history.

We're now left trading a guy when his value has never been lower. That's why it was a mistake. Trading is a buy low/sell high game. It would've been far smarter to trade Schneider when his value was very high, and thus gotten back a piece of very high value himself. As I've said before, the fundamental equation is this:

Vancouver Canucks with Luongo plus consideration received for Schneider

are better than

Vancouver Canucks with Schneider plus consideration received for Luongo

Looking at it from a buy low/sell high perspective, IMO the time to trade Luongo would have been trade deadline 2011. Prior to that season Schneider still would have been a gamble and wouldn't have garnered a great return. Sure we would have received something useful, but I sincerely doubt it would have been greater than what we'll wind up getting for Lu this year.

So, trade deadline 2011 - Canucks are well on their way to the best regular season in franchise history, and we trade our starting goaltender? That makes no sense. And if we do that, we have our new starting goaltender cramping up two-thirds of the way through the opening game of the playoffs.

King of es should have his own pinned thread.. Whenever you feel like arguing with him you just go to the KOE thread and say what's on your mind about the Canucks. The king then finds potential reasons your wrong and you can argue till the lockout ends if you want

Haha - it was always easy to get King. And your equation remains as dumb as it was before.

The ironing is that you are arguing that Gilis should have moved Schneider before his value got so high.

And you're whining about not maximizing value.

Which apparently is a contradiction that you will never be able to 'get.'

You don't get the value of keeping Schneider as his value continued to increase.

Essentially, you keep arguing that the Canucks should have sold low, as you highlight, before his value got so high.

That wasn't a gamble. You claim to understand the trading game, but are arguing to trade an asset when the value was still on the rise, and would continue to rise for quite some time, and is actually still rising....

But that would've been totally irrational. Veteran team, Cup-ready, trading their starting goaltender and putting in a rookie. Makes no sense.

Kinda like what's happening now, except on a more macro-level (Schneider's not a rookie, per se, though he will be a rookie starter if/when this season commences).

He should've been moved before he supplanted the guy that our GM signed to a 12-year contract in 2009. Do you think Luongo signed that deal under the assumption that this circus would be taking place only 25% into the contract? Mike Gillis always talking about being a "destination franchise" - how are the optics of all of this?

And I'm not arguing that the Canucks should've sold low. You really don't think that a package of significant value could've been had in moving Schneider on Draft Day 2011, for example? He had just come off a Jennings season and a Cup appearance - we could've got a very helpful piece coming our way. A legitimate bidding war could've been created with teams like Columbus, Tampa, Long Island, Toronto, etc., etc. But instead, Gillis balked, hoping that his value will increase EVEN MORE if he's held (greed). Well, it did, but, unfortunately, his value increase came at the expense of Luongo's, and now we're selling Luongo (who's still very good) into a pitiful goaltender's market, where we will almost definitely not get fair value.

RE: your trading comment, it's good to ride the trend, yes, unless you get caught with your pants down when the tide goes out. That's what happened to Mike Gillis here. Ride Schneider, ride Schneider, ride Schneider...whoops, he's now beat up the other guy that we now have to trade, and that nobody really wants, and that he controls where he ends up. Answer me this: do you think this scenario played out as Mike Gillis had envisioned?

But that would've been totally irrational. Veteran team, Cup-ready, trading their starting goaltender and putting in a rookie. Makes no sense.

Kinda like what's happening now, except on a more macro-level (Schneider's not a rookie, per se, though he will be a rookie starter if/when this season commences).

Archived