The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

The trade was Luongo and Raymond for Alzner and 1st. To me a top pairing d-man still doesn't carry the value of an elite goalie. Van fans are too disenchanted with not winning it all to see our own goalie's skill. If he was on any other team we would be convetting Luongo. Alzner for Luongo isn't a good deal. Alzner and a first might be, but including Raymond doesn't make sense.

What I want to know is why has everyone stopped talking about New Jersey? I don't think anyone expects the whole season to be lost due to a lockout, and surely with Brodeur thinking long and hard about calling it quits this summer the chances of him coming back AGAIN next season seem highly unlikely.

If it does end up being a short season, say regular season starting mid december - early january , then the Canucks only have to wait less than 2 months with Lou on the roster before the trade deadline. Now before all the bitter idiots cough..... king of es.... cough come back and say that's stupid New Jersey is broke and can't get anybody in the building as it is why would they get Luongo?? I ask, where would they be without Brodeur or Luongo next year??? The way I look at it they can't afford not to have Luongo if Brodeur retires because being a bottom feeder would put them in an even worse spot financially with no fan support at all.

What I want to know is why has everyone stopped talking about New Jersey? I don't think anyone expects the whole season to be lost due to a lockout, and surely with Brodeur thinking long and hard about calling it quits this summer the chances of him coming back AGAIN next season seem highly unlikely.

If it does end up being a short season, say regular season starting mid december - early january , then the Canucks only have to wait less than 2 months with Lou on the roster before the trade deadline. Now before all the bitter idiots cough..... king of es.... cough come back and say that's stupid New Jersey is broke and can't get anybody in the building as it is why would they get Luongo?? I ask, where would they be without Brodeur or Luongo next year??? The way I look at it they can't afford not to have Luongo if Brodeur retires because being a bottom feeder would put them in an even worse spot financially with no fan support at all.

The trade was Luongo and Raymond for Alzner and 1st. To me a top pairing d-man still doesn't carry the value of an elite goalie. Van fans are too disenchanted with not winning it all to see our own goalie's skill. If he was on any other team we would be convetting Luongo. Alzner for Luongo isn't a good deal. Alzner and a first might be, but including Raymond doesn't make sense.

I failed to do some research, not sure why but I assumed Brodeur only re-uped for 1 year. That changes alot.... I guess the situation I laid out only works if Brodeur completely shats the bed and has a Roloson style slide in his play this year, or if we wait it out until next summer ( which I hope we don't of course)

I never realized how little most teams are paying for their goaltending. I just went through Capgeek, team by team. Only a couple teams pay barely more than $8M. Most seem to be in the $4-6M range, but quite a few pay less than $4M and some are even below $3M. It's impressive how complete our roster is, considering how much we spend on our current goalies.

I never realized how little most teams are paying for their goaltending. I just went through Capgeek, team by team. Only a couple teams pay barely more than $8M. Most seem to be in the $4-6M range, but quite a few pay less than $4M and some are even below $3M. It's impressive how complete our roster is, considering how much we spend on our current goalies.

I think the factors pretty much even out and in the end the Canucks make a reasonable hockey trade for Luongo - not an earth shattering blockbuster, and not table scraps - a reasonable hockey trade.

I also think you are overselling this 'perception outside Vancouver' thing. It doesn't really matter what some fans perceive - what matters is what Burke/Nonis, Tallon, Lowe, McPhee, etc think, and I doubt their perception is as shallow as stereotypes that fans hold.

But the perception that he is a guy who will never win a championship will only deepen if he winds up in Toronto haha!

On the other hand, he could very well get their sorry asses into the postseason finally. Gawd that would suck. Imagine being largely responsible for enabling Leafs playoff hockey. Would rather dump Luongo for table scraps. ;)

That elite goalie you're talking about is 33, and will be 43 by the end of his contract. These are factors to consider when trading for anyone. Alzner was a captain for u20 Canada one year, a pretty big accomplishment that puts his name up there with names like Stevens and Neidermeyer. Alzner would be a fantastic return for Luongo alone but adding in a 1st in what is to be a very deep year and we're having our way with Washington. Not to mention we dump Raymond and his cap hit, lets face it he has no intrinsic value anyway. I stand by my proposal.

That elite goalie you're talking about is 33, and will be 43 by the end of his contract. These are factors to consider when trading for anyone. Alzner was a captain for u20 Canada one year, a pretty big accomplishment that puts his name up there with names like Stevens and Neidermeyer. Alzner would be a fantastic return for Luongo alone but adding in a 1st in what is to be a very deep year and we're having our way with Washington. Not to mention we dump Raymond and his cap hit, lets face it he has no intrinsic value anyway. I stand by my proposal.

Archived