The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

I too like Alzner. He is another lefty though - the Canucks already have Hammer, Edler, Garrison (although will likely play the right side), and Ballard (starts to look like the LW/RW imbalance) - acquiring him would have to mean moving Ballard or Edler (if re-signing him is going to be an obstacle) - the Canucks could try to land a RW or center in the subsequent deal.

I don't know when "handedness" became a factor in the analysis of players, but I think it's just the latest thing that the insiders use to analyze largely for the sake of analysis. I don't see how it matters which way that a pretty strictly stay-at-home d-man like Alzner shoots. Same largely goes for forwards, where it might be slightly more important to match up lines with handedness, but probably not much.

I don't know when "handedness" became a factor in the analysis of players, but I think it's just the latest thing that the insiders use to analyze largely for the sake of analysis. I don't see how it matters which way that a pretty strictly stay-at-home d-man like Alzner shoots. Same largely goes for forwards, where it might be slightly more important to match up lines with handedness, but probably not much.

I never played organized hockey, but I played a lot of shinny.

But really, if a D is shooting from the inside of the ice vs. the outside that matters. If the defender is backing up and has his stick to the boards vs. the slot, that's a big deal.

I am most surprised that King went on to mention wingers. Come on, how can handedness not matter? Some guys play left side, some play right, and some play both. If a player is on the half boards, and shooting from the short side, then it is a MUCH easier stop for a goalie in proper position than if a player is shooting from the inside of the ice with a much better angle. Why has AV mentioned countless times that he likes a right handed shot with the twins? I'm sure if he had to choose between Hansen (shoots right) and Rick Nash (shoots left), then he wouldn't pick handedness over skill, but given the option he will always pair guys up so that they are in better position to receive a pass and take a shot.

Right. I played "AAA" and even a few games as a call-up in the BCJHL. I played plenty of hockey. Handedness is largely irrelevant. I don't want to get too off-topic here, but HANDEDNESS is different than SIDE. If you all thought that I meant the SIDE (left D, right D, for example) is irrelevant, I didn't. I meant whether a person shoots left or right. Not that important.

Right. I played "AAA" and even a few games as a call-up in the BCJHL. I played plenty of hockey. Handedness is largely irrelevant. I don't want to get too off-topic here, but HANDEDNESS is different than SIDE. If you all thought that I meant the SIDE (left D, right D, for example) is irrelevant, I didn't. I meant whether a person shoots left or right. Not that important.

WOW....AAA MINOR hockey. a few games in tier II junior...talk about qualifications !! You should stick to opinions that mirror your level of competence...minor hockey...because you continue to make yourself look stupid. All the negative feedback you get should be sinking in by now, but somehow , your ego takes over. Listen to the people that have more hockey knowledge and quit spewing drivel and unbased , off the mark opinions. Go play bingo !!

Ok so I played junor hockey in sask and the way it works in the flatland must be completely different.

The last AAA hockey team you can play on is in midget

Then junior hockey goes

Major Jr, (kelowna rockets)

Junior A (Vernon Vipers)

Junior B ( Richmond sockeyes)

So if you are called up from midget, You were a 15yr old playing Jr.

Looks like Mr modest was a pretty good hockey player. I have never personally seen this call up when I played, especially from midget AAA to Junior A. I played with a guy that got called up to his major jr team for practice when our season was done and they kept playing into the playoffs but that guy has also played in the NHL for quite some time now.

Sorry guys, he does have more hockey knowledge then all of us put together, he trully is a King.

Whatever. It was Junior B, yes. Delta Ice Hawks. It was 2 or 3 different games as an emergency call-up. And I'm 29 years old now, so it was a long time ago. Age 15 sounds about right, if not a little on the young side.

Anyway, this is all irrelevant - someone brought up the notion that "I've obviously never played hockey before", which is funny, because he admittedly never has. I played hockey from Tyke - Midget, and always at the highest MINOR level that was possible. I never said that I was NHL material or anything of the sort, just that I played a lot, a lot of hockey.

Looking at your little explanation I could completely rip into you right now, but I won't. Because it is irrelevant.

if you are going to stick your chest out like an Alberta rig pig in a best buy to get your point across then be sure you google or research your claims.

Your credibility is on the line, when you lose that you become an annoying fly landing on faces.

Everyone wants to hit you, even if it means hitting there own face.

Anyway, it looks like I will die before this thread.

Archived