The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

If Doan signs elsewhere, I like Upshall's game - he's never seemed to get any traction in the NHL, but could be quite a good risk if he ever manages to play a full season. I wouldn't mind taking a risk on him - he is a right wing, physical and skilled - and his cap hit of 3.5 million should make him a relative add in/ salary dump. I'd rather take him as a third piece in a deal than get Versteeg as the priniciple - something like Upshall, Matthias and Petrovic might make sense if Doan goes elsewhere.

I like the idea of Bjugstad, but I think his value is getting blown out of proportion - who knows, Gaunce could turn out to be the better player.

The radio program that broke the news on Doan also said, he was in Vancouver because of "new developments". This could be in regards to Phoenix but it could also be in regards to Lu and the Nucks. What if MG has a deal ready to go if Doan signs? If so, the arguments about MG being vulnerable and cap room for Doan are gone. Maybe they advised Doan of this and that is why he chose to meet with management when he originally wasn't going to?

What is your definition of elite. When would you say Roberto lost his 'elite' status? I take it prior to this last season you deemed Lundqvist an elite goalie. Statistically speaking however, he was no better than Luongo, including the playoffs, and had even less success in the playoffs than Roberto. Same goes for Howard, Quick, Rinne, and Miller. Simply speaking from a statistical point of view, ALL of their career numbers are nearly equal or lesser to that of Luongo. So I don't see how people can deem Luongo not elite yet deem these other goalies elite when the numbers don't support it. The only legitimate argument people can even make against Luongo not being elite is his inconsistency in the playoffs. EVEN WITH that inconsistency prior to the last season, Luongo had a career 2.50 and .917. Not too shabby at all. I keep referring 'prior to last season' for the sake of argument because Lundqvist and Quick were no better than Luongo but given their success this season, I would probably say that they are.

But people can't just at the numbers all the time and come to a conclusion. If team A was on the PK 8 times during a game and allowed several odd man rushes and team B tallied four or five goals in that span of the game, most people are simply going to look at the box score and go 'gee, nice goaltending'. But see, that would be unfair to the goalie of team A. My point being you can't just look at the numbers all the time. Even with Luongo's inconsistency in the playoffs, the defence as a whole is to blame for many of these goals. People need to actually analyze and break down plays and understand why the opposition scored. But most people don't have the time to do this or are too stupid to do this and instead simply resort to blaming Luongo. And lets be perfectly honest, he is getting NO help from OUR offence for the last two series against the Kings and Bruins.

As much as people want to ride Luongo's ass for his performance, the Canucks 1.17 goals combined over the last two series is going to get you absolutely no where. As much as he is to blame, the team in front is defending poorly at times and providing almost zero offence. It doesn't matter if Luongo allows five goals or two. The offence isn't there in support anyway.

Do you mean that Doan was not planning to meet with the Canucks on this trip or at all in his selection process? Gilman at one point stated that he had been in phone contact with Doan a number of times and Doan's agent confirmed this. He met with the NYR and Philly but I did not read anything about Montreal or Pitt. SJ isn't mentioned much but they were also in the picture.

I was happy to hear about the Van meeting especially with ownership attending the dinner. Hoping that the Canuck group made a serious impression on Doan. Some are sayin that Lou has to be moved before Doan signs but I see the exact opposite. Van signs Doan and Gillis then knows what to ask for in a Lou trade and also knows what he will be able to afford under the CAP. I suspect that to a limited degree the Van group made Doan aware of their situation. As a result I expect a deal to go down within the week.

The Jamieson Group have probably tried to reassure Doan about their deal but at some point it has to be realized that even if they manage the sale the situation in PHX remains very unstable. Doan is still young enough that his concern about is potentially last contract means he has to move on.

I don't recall at any time during the cup run this team was a scoring machine. Lu kept them in every game and almost won the con smythe. winning 1-0 and 2-1 is your definition of a scoring machine? hardly. he was posting 40-50 saves almost on a nightly basis.

I cant reply to everything you have written here, you make a decent argument but there is simply too much.

My definition of an elite goalie is one who has statistics in the top 5 of every goaltending category on a consistent basis, including playoffs. Wins, GAA, Sv%, Shutouts. Luongo never has that, granted very few goalies do but he is usually not even close. He is usually around 30-40 wins which is very good. His GAA has been as low as 2.11 and as high as 2.57, but he is usually in the 2.35 neighborhood which is fairly average nowadays. His Sv% is always around .920 which is roughly average now too, except for 09/10 when it was a mediocre .913. As for shutouts, aside from 08/09 when he posted 9 of them, his totals have been unimpressive.

Speaking of the playoffs now, as of 2011 Luongo has 59 career playoff games with a career GAA of 2.50 and Sv% .917. Think about it, even in the regular season those numbers are average, and they are helped very much by his first playoffs which was the only one he was brilliant in. If he could've posted a 1.77 GAA and .941 Sv% in any of our last 4 postseasons, we would have at least one Stanley Cup, 2.50 and .917 do not cut it anymore.

If he is "elite" he should be able to post better stats than he does even if our defense sucks, which it does not, it's not great but it's good.

Pardon the rant but I do not believe Luongo can be considered one of the upper-echelon goaltenders.

What?

Which playoffs were you watching? Yes he had some very good games and he had a whole bunch of crap games. Do you remember games 4 and 5 against Chicago? 12 past Luongo. The four losses to Boston, he got lit up like a christmas tree. He was good against Nashville aside from all the goals he gave up from behind the net and the only noteworthy game he had against San Jose was the 5th one where he made 50+ saves for the only time during the playoffs. Let's not even get into our first two encounters with Chicago.

As for my scoring machine comment, the team would have to be one to overcome his meltdowns. We are both right in this instance, the Canucks are not a scoring machine, so when Luongo falls apart, we lose.

I believe the world will end in 12/21/12 the CBA will not be agreed apon.

We will be bickering and pulling trade packages out of our bums for eternity

May God, Ancient Aliens and Free Masons have Mercy on our tortured souls

As you Wuz

You know it all man, at least I finally figured out who God prays to.

He has a valid point because if MG signs Doan, a salary dump is now mandatory before the start of the season. That makes a big difference... Clearly.

Hey guys,

Weird, I know, but this is my first time in this thread, and I'm not going to sift through all the pages to see if anyones thought of this yet, because they probably have, but if not, do you guys think...

Our beloved Luongo is slated to make $6.7M this up coming season, with a cap hit of $5.33M. Now, I don't know this for a fact, but Florida doesn't seem like a "rich" team, like Nashville before the Weber matching. I've read somewhere that the fans love him, Tallon is very interested, and most important, the owners want him back? I don't recall where I read this so don't go asking me for a source, but regardless, it should be a done deal right?

As everyone knows, we're on the fence as to wether or not we will be going through another lockout, do you guys think there may be a possibility that a deal is worked out, but Florida's owners just want the new CBA signed before pulling the trigger and having to pay Luongo $6.7M to stay at home and play online poker and tweet?!

Just an idea, but I think it's a very good possibility, the day the new CBA is signed, we could see a Luongo trade follow pretty quick, if not the same day. Talon and Gillis have a good relationship, and wouldn't surprise me that they would already have a deal in place.

Just my 2 cents,

Have a good one guys and gals

Hey guys,

Weird, I know, but this is my first time in this thread, and I'm not going to sift through all the pages to see if anyones thought of this yet, because they probably have, but if not, do you guys think...

Our beloved Luongo is slated to make $6.7M this up coming season, with a cap hit of $5.33M. Now, I don't know this for a fact, but Florida doesn't seem like a "rich" team, like Nashville before the Weber matching. I've read somewhere that the fans love him, Tallon is very interested, and most important, the owners want him back? I don't recall where I read this so don't go asking me for a source, but regardless, it should be a done deal right?

As everyone knows, we're on the fence as to wether or not we will be going through another lockout, do you guys think there may be a possibility that a deal is worked out, but Florida's owners just want the new CBA signed before pulling the trigger and having to pay Luongo $6.7M to stay at home and play online poker and tweet?!

Just an idea, but I think it's a very good possibility, the day the new CBA is signed, we could see a Luongo trade follow pretty quick, if not the same day. Talon and Gillis have a good relationship, and wouldn't surprise me that they would already have a deal in place.

Just my 2 cents,

Have a good one guys and gals

No prickly friend; I do not know it all. Just enough to know I know absolutely nothing in fact.

Concerning Luongo, again, the sky isn't falling. There are numerous moves MG could make to clear cap space including moving players such as Ballard, Raymond and Alberts, as well as Kesler's status on LTIR.

So no, there is no panic to trade Luongo any time soon and frankly, as stated before, I do not like Florida's attempted robbery.

Bjugstad is worth nothing in this league except a bag of hype and hope.

I sure hope Luongo is gone before the season starts. Its not that he would not be very good insurance, but the distraction it would cause would not be good for the chemistry in the dressing room. I believe the team needs the opportunity to embrace schneider as the teams #1 and focus on the new team direction.

Archived