The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

Or, he has heard the hometown "Booooo"s long enough and recognizes that it has turned into an intolerable situation for both him & his teammates with the incessant media poking and jarring at any and every "controversy"

Theodore in 11/12: $1.5M. 53 GP. 2.46 GAA. .917 SV%

Luongo in 11/12: $5.33M. 55 GP. 2.41 GAA. .919 SV%.

I keep coming back to this. How does Gillis convince a budget-oriented team to spend way more on very comparable (current) goaltending stats, and expect to get anything valuable in return? For $1.5M, why wouldn't Tallon give Theodore 55-60 starts next year?

Leaving because of the fan base?

So you are suggesting Luongo is mentally weak?

Cause only a mentally weak professional would sign a 12 year contract with a team in a city he couldn't handle 2 years later because of the media and fan base.

I hope you are wrong for his sake

Last I checked, FLA made the playoffs because they're the best team in the weakest NHL division.

I don't see their lineup laced with superstars and if their farm were better than their current roster, why aren't they playing in the hogs already.

I call bullsh!t on all accounts. Huberdeau MIGHT... be the only legitimate future superstar. The rest, including gofer Bjugstad, are barely "stars".

And they want Edler to boot.

FLA

Luongo

Edler

Schroeder

VAN

Campbell

Versteeg

Huberdeau

Bjugstad

Gudbranson

This is a two year President trophy winning team dealing with a Southern Division de facto playoff team.

The Detroit model is very Capitalist: the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Florida must pay up for what they want: a franchise goaltender, a franchise defenseman (compared to Lidstrom on numerous occasions) and an energy center.

Leaving because of the fan base?

So you are suggesting Luongo is mentally weak?

Cause only a mentally weak professional would sign a 12 year contract with a team in a city he couldn't handle 2 years later because of the media and fan base.

I hope you are wrong for his sake

FLA

Luongo

Edler

Schroeder

VAN

Campbell

Versteeg

Huberdeau

Bjugstad

Gudbranson

This is a two year President trophy winning team dealing with a Southern Division de facto playoff team.

The Detroit model is very Capitalist: the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Florida must pay up for what they want: a franchise goaltender, a franchise defenseman (compared to Lidstrom on numerous occasions) and an energy center.

I agree that Hansen is a critical component of our 3rd line, but what about two years from now when he's up for contract renewal and looking at a $3m salary? He will likely always be a 2nd/3rd line tweener here and I'm not sure it's smart cap management to have a $3m+ third liner. If we sign Doan for four years, and have D. Sedin, D. Booth, Burrows as well as Hansen on the wings, where does that leave Kassian & Jensen? One of them playing a 4th line role? Naw we need both Jensen & Kassian playing big 3rd line roles in a couple of years if we are to win a Cup.

Something's gotta give eventually and it's a choice between Burrows & Hansen.

I can't see Gillis parting with Hansen in a Luongo package unless he gets one of Florida's three proven top-six forwards (Weiss, Fleischman, Versteeg) as part of a package deal with a lesser prospect (Howden) in return but that would mean no Doan in a Canuck uniform.

He's a 6'5" 212lbs centre with a physical element to his game. Think of a potential Getzlaf (although he is more of a shoot first centre) or if he doesn't hit his peak, Arnott.

He's everything Brian Burke wishes Joe Colborne was. As for Gudbranson, it's never going to happen (as much as we'd all like it to).

Or, he has heard the hometown "Booooo"s long enough and recognizes that it has turned into an intolerable situation for both him & his teammates with the incessant media poking and jarring at any and every "controversy".

"My guess" can be Friedman's (or any other reporter for that matter) way of protecting what a player, or someone very close to the player, has said without using it as a direct quote.

I could be wrong but didn't the bruins try to get rid of thomas the summer before they won the cup? This is starting to remind me of that situation, they wanted to make room for Rask, hung on to Thomas and we all know how that ended

lol everyone here is really overvaluing Hansen. Seriously u guys make it seem like he's an untouchable on this team....Well I couldn't even consider him an untouchable. Only players untouchable are Sedins, Kesler, Schnieder now, Hamhuis and Bieksa. Burrows and Edler would be included if they do sign here next year. Everyone else on this team is fair game to me, and that includes Booth, Higgins, and Hansen.

lol everyone here is really overvaluing Hansen. Seriously u guys make it seem like he's an untouchable on this team....Well I couldn't even consider him an untouchable. Only players untouchable are Sedins, Kesler, Schnieder now, Hamhuis and Bieksa. Burrows and Edler would be included if they do sign here next year. Everyone else on this team is fair game to me, and that includes Booth, Higgins, and Hansen.

I could be wrong but didn't the bruins try to get rid of thomas the summer before they won the cup? This is starting to remind me of that situation, they wanted to make room for Rask, hung on to Thomas and we all know how that ended

Archived