The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

I don't really get all the frustration.

In a perfect world, MG gets the world for Lou, improves the team in dealing him. Just because Nash's value didn't escalate to meet Howsons wishlist doesn't mean Lous value is deteriorating; different players, different situations, different GM's. Toronto or Florida hitting the skids early in the season could make them much more interested in strengthening their crease.

However, as it stands right now his cap hit isn't preventing us from getting the player we want. We don't need to be under the cap until the season starts.

Assuming we win the Doan competition and he decides to play here. We need to peddle lou to ditch the cap hit. We know Florida will take him for nothing or close too. We improve the team by using Lous cap space to get Doan.

If Doan doesn't pick Van, would people prefer we drop lou for nothing just so we have space sitting around doing nothing?

The season is at best 2 full months away. Potentially more. I personally have no problem if we start next season spending the Aquillini's money on Schnieders insurance policy. The only way it hurts us going into next season with Lou as back up/potential injury relief is with respect to cap space. And until we need space, why not have 2 great goalies, even at the cost? I think the fact that MG has made an offer on Doan shows that he plans to use Lous cap space if an upgrade exists.

Timmy Thomas hit the skids the year prior to Boston winning the cup. Thomas watched in the post season as the starting position moved to Rask. The following year he managed to lose it and Thomas was a major reason they won the cup. Imagine if Boston had dumped Thomas quickly for spare parts?

Timmy Thomas hit the skids the year prior to Boston winning the cup. Thomas watched in the post season as the starting position moved to Rask. The following year he managed to lose it and Thomas was a major reason they won the cup. Imagine if Boston had dumped Thomas quickly for spare parts?

Still some holes to fill on the team, I wish Dubinsky was a Panther so we could get that deal instead lol, We desperately need a 3rd line Centre that could be productive (No Malhotra PLEASE).

Bjugstad or Huberdeau are ideal targets, but Huberdeau is Florida's #1 prospect and Bjugstad is going for another year in college...

Unless theres some mystery team thats also intrested in Luongo, I dont think we have much options.

Maybe we could trade Luongo to Columbus for Johansen, trade with Howsen while he's still the GM haha.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Raymond - Kesler - Booth

Higgins - _____ - Hansen

_____ - Lappiere - Kassian

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Edler

Ballard - Tanev

The return for Nash is seriously making me re-consider the return we will get for Lou. Unless there is a buyer's frenzy, teams willing to play hardball and wait for Lou probably have the upper hand e.g. NYR in Nash trade. As fans, we shouldn't be so demanding about what MG ought to expect as a return. Might have to be a little bend and give with this trade.

I think something that is worth considering is not necessarily trading Lou specifically to fill needs we have on our team, but rather to trade for the best player available. Further trades can be made down the road to shore up whatever else needs to be done.

And how much do you want to bet that he'll end up being a Florida Panther next season? Because if you still don't think so then you're a complete fool. Talk is cheap so if you want to put some money on the line then maybe I'll take your opinion more serious.

I got $100 that says Luongo is a Florida Panther. I'll even give you 3 to 1 odds.

The return for Nash is seriously making me re-consider the return we will get for Lou. Unless there is a buyer's frenzy, teams willing to play hardball and wait for Lou probably have the upper hand e.g. NYR in Nash trade. As fans, we shouldn't be so demanding about what MG ought to expect as a return. Might have to be a little bend and give with this trade.

I think something that is worth considering is not necessarily trading Lou specifically to fill needs we have on our team, but rather to trade for the best player available. Further trades can be made down the road to shore up whatever else needs to be done.

Imagine if we could somehow get Weiss out of Florida though. Even if we had to expand the deal it would be worth it.

Then sign Doan and trade Raymond and a pick for Franson...

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Shane Doan ($5.500m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Stephen Weiss ($3.100m)

Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Chris Higgins ($1.900m)

Zack Kassian ($0.870m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Dale Weise ($0.666m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)

Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Cody Franson ($1.200m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

Eddie Lack ($0.850m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,660,500; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $539,500

Now that's the kind of stacked team that I'm dreaming about. That's about what it would take to put us over the top.

Imagine if we could somehow get Weiss out of Florida though. Even if we had to expand the deal it would be worth it.

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Chris Higgins ($1.900m)

Dale Weise ($0.666m) /

DEFENSEMEN

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

Eddie Lack ($0.850m)

------

Now that's the kind of stacked team that I'm dreaming about. That's about what it would take to put us over the top.

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Dale Weise ($0.666m) /

DEFENSEMEN

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

Eddie Lack ($0.850m)

------

http://www2.tsn.ca/w...stid=11655&id=1

Dreger was on TSN radio today, he talked briefly about Luongo.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but Dregers comments about Luongo going public is garbage IMO. "He needs to get his hands dirty" "he needs to go public to get this thing rolling". How is Luongo talking publicly about wanting out going to help his cause? All it will do is hurt Gillis negotiating power, I don't understand why Dreger would suggest this.

Anywhoo, give it a listen if you want.

EDIT: Apparently Lu's brother-

Leo Luongo@louie8413

“ Howson never presented Nash with a team outside of list” Someone should take note!

http://www2.tsn.ca/w...stid=11655&id=1

Dreger was on TSN radio today, he talked briefly about Luongo.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but Dregers comments about Luongo going public is garbage IMO. "He needs to get his hands dirty" "he needs to go public to get this thing rolling". How is Luongo talking publicly about wanting out going to help his cause? All it will do is hurt Gillis negotiating power, I don't understand why Dreger would suggest this.

Anywhoo, give it a listen if you want.

EDIT: Apparently Lu's brother-

Leo Luongo@louie8413

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Dale Weise ($0.666m) /

DEFENSEMEN

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

Eddie Lack ($0.850m)

------

Archived