The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

...blah...common sense here....don't derail the point by being a grammar/english prof. It was indeed a general verbage on my part which I will own up, but nevertheless, just because someone is Italian shouldn't be suggested that they would be eating Italian food. The intent of his point is what is concerning. Yes indeed free speech lives on, but shouldn't come at the cost of biggotry and generalizing of any Nationalities and races. Those who know what I mean, good for you for understanding. Those that derail or detract from the essence of the argument, sucks to be nit picking at graspless straws. You can have the last word on this issue if you'd like, but it is what it is to some.

As you very well know, I am not one to agree with such a statement. Luongo is an elite goaltender and if the Canucks are patient, teams will be knocking on the blue crescent some time during the season.

Luongo and Schneider also have to express patience in the matter. But in all reality, all there was said is "Luongo would waive his NTC to help the team" if he were asked. Now the only team he is rumored willing to waive is for is Florida. This, to me, doesn't sound like a man wanting to leave the franchise with whom he signed a 15 year deal. I am thinking this is the greatest smoke screen in the NHL right now, that Gillia is playing the same cards regarding Schnwider as Tallon is playing with Huberdeau and Bjugstad, and that Schneider's numbers are going to be further increased so as to acquire an even greater return for Schneider.

At the trade deadling, if Luongo and Schneider play like they can, are worth immensely more than now, especially to perenial teams for whom acquiring an elite goaltender as Luongo or Schneider would push them into the playoffs.

With L.A. doing the impossible going from 8th seed to Cup winner, there are 29 other teams who just increased their hope.

Lu is done like yesterday's dinner in Vancity. He called his own cards to the media at the end of last season. There is no going back. If they start with Lu in camp, get ready for a real media Cirque Du Soleil Canuck style. The quicker he is outta here, the quicker the team can gel with the new guys on/off the ice and start focussing at the task at hand. At this point, I don't care if we get prospects and picks just to get him off the books. I would rather have that than have his pricey butt on the end of the bench chewing bubblegum. The only Lu in this city is Lu Pasaglia...don't forget it.

Lu is done like yesterday's dinner in Vancity. He called his own cards to the media at the end of last season. There is no going back. If they start with Lu in camp, get ready for a real media Cirque Du Soleil Canuck style. The quicker he is outta here, the quicker the team can gel with the new guys on/off the ice and start focussing at the task at hand. At this point, I don't care if we get prospects and picks just to get him off the books. I would rather have that than have his pricey butt on the end of the bench chewing bubblegum. The only Lu in this city is Lu Pasaglia...don't forget it.

He would certainly have won a Cup and a Vezina if the Canucks didn't rely on the Sedins so much and got secondary scoring. Conversely, the window of opportunity exists as Luongo is still with the franchise, though secondary scoring remains a first level problem and will continue to be a problem until adressed.

Instead of acquiring secondary scoring, the Canucks are trading Luongo. If indeed faith has been put unto Schneider's shoulders, then I certainly expect secondary scoring to come back this way.

Nothing would do more for this franchise than acquiring a legitimate 1C to play behind the Sedins, and putting Kesler at 3C to take on the bulk of defensive work, which one can certainly argue, is one of the toughest and most important position to play.

H. SEDIN

LECAVALIER

KESLER

LAPIERRE

-------------------

H. SEDIN

THORNTON

KESLER

LAPIERRE

-------------------

H. SEDIN

MARLEAU

KESLER

LAPIERRE

-------------------

H. SEDIN

KESLER

LAPIERRE

MALHOLTRA

Both acquiring a player like Lecavalier/ Thornton/ Marleau and putting Kesler on 3C drastically increases the Sedins' effectiveness during the playoffs and secondary scoring is then adressed, Luongo or Schneider.

The Canucks have the pieces to engineer such a trade as to bring in a second 1C to the franchise but do they have the guts? Philly, Carolina, San Jose and L.A. did. I have a hard time believing that a two-time President Trophy winning elite team does not have the resources to do so.

I'd like to see a realistic proposal to get a second 1C, because Ballard Raymond and a 1st aint gonna do it.

Edit: I am not disagreeing with your thought, but merely skeptical that we can do it. Gillis would have done it by now.

No where is there even a hint that Schneider would get traded...thats just a fantasy of yours. Lou is the guy taking the stage coach outa Dodge. On trade day, you are going to be eating a lot of crow...hope yur not a vegetarian...of course this will run off your back like water.Like to talking to a blank wall !!

All this Luongo trade to Florida all boils down to one thing. Does Tallon feel Luongo is ENOUGH of an upgrade over what he currently has? Is Luongo an upgrade? Absolutely. But is he enough of an upgrade to the point where he can justify giving up a Bjudstad or whoever? The answer is probably no. Lets look at the stats from last year. Luongo 31-14-8, 2.41 GAA and a .919 save percentage. Theodore 22-16-11, 2.46 GAA and a .917 save percentage. Pretty similar numbers if you ask me. But what Tallon cares about are playoff numbers. Luongo has lost his last 4 games in the playoffs while Theodore went a very respectable 2-2, 2.46 GAA and a .919 save percentage. This is the NHL, not best team on paper wins.

All this Luongo trade to Florida all boils down to one thing. Does Tallon feel Luongo is ENOUGH of an upgrade over what he currently has? Is Luongo an upgrade? Absolutely. But is he enough of an upgrade to the point where he can justify giving up a Bjudstad or whoever? The answer is probably no. Lets look at the stats from last year. Luongo 31-14-8, 2.41 GAA and a .919 save percentage. Theodore 22-16-11, 2.46 GAA and a .917 save percentage. Pretty similar numbers if you ask me. But what Tallon cares about are playoff numbers. Luongo has lost his last 4 games in the playoffs while Theodore went a very respectable 2-2, 2.46 GAA and a .919 save percentage. This is the NHL, not best team on paper wins.

Maybe Florida needs a home goalie like Lu because if you need a clutch win on the road don't count on Lu.

Last 5 years is a pretty big sample

home 07-08 2.12 gaa .919 SV% road 2.68 gaa and .916 SV%

home 08-09 1.99 gaa .929 SV% road 2.73 gaa and .910 SV%

home 09-10 2,20 gga .926 SV% road 3.07 gaa and .894 SV%

home 10-11 1.90 gga .937 SV% road 2.34 gaa and .917 SV%

home 11-12 2.27gga .923 SV% road 2.58 gaa and .915 SV%

On our run to the cup

2010-11 playoffs home 1.80 gaa and .939 SV% road 3.76 gaa and .878 SV%

Cory Schneider stats last 2 seasons on same team

2010-11 home 2.67 gaa and .905 SV% road 1.93 gaa and .942 SV%

2011-12 home 1.98 gaa and .936 SV% road 1.95 gaa and .937 SV%

Exactly. I'd rather keep Lu then trade him for some 2nd tier player the Canucks have an abundance of. Blue chip prospect or nothing.

I can't believe Burke isn't throwing a really good offer. Reimer and Scrivens??? Really Brian?

FOR DISCUSSION SAKE:

Hockeyy Insiderr@HockeyyInsiderr

The #Canucks are closing in on trading @strombone1 to the#NHLPanthers. The trade talks have picked up (again) and progress is made daily.

The negotiations between #FLAPanthers and #Canucks for Luongo have Matthias as the center piece.

Bjugstad is a name mentioned in the Luongo negotiations but sources not 100% sure if #FLAPanthers are willing to give him up.#Canucks

One thing is certain, Luongo could be on the move sooner rather than later. The #Canucks have already started shopping for a backup goalie!

#Canucks have contacted Dan Ellis. Also called #Habs to inquire about Peter Budaj. @strombone1 on the move next week?

I believe the Budaj and Matthias parts, and that's it.

Maybe Florida needs a home goalie like Lu because if you need a clutch win on the road don't count on Lu.

Last 5 years is a pretty big sample

home 07-08 2.12 gaa .919 SV% road 2.68 gaa and .916 SV%

home 08-09 1.99 gaa .929 SV% road 2.73 gaa and .910 SV%

home 09-10 2,20 gga .926 SV% road 3.07 gaa and .894 SV%

home 10-11 1.90 gga .937 SV% road 2.34 gaa and .917 SV%

home 11-12 2.27gga .923 SV% road 2.58 gaa and .915 SV%

On our run to the cup

2010-11 playoffs home 1.80 gaa and .939 SV% road 3.76 gaa and .878 SV%

Cory Schneider stats last 2 seasons on same team

2010-11 home 2.67 gaa and .905 SV% road 1.93 gaa and .942 SV%

2011-12 home 1.98 gaa and .936 SV% road 1.95 gaa and .937 SV%

That is so ridiculous, don't know why people think that...Luongo is not a star in people's eyes (o/w he'd be getting a cr*p load of offers). Therefore how can he be the answer when a team gets "desperate" ?

Realistically if we start the season with Luongo, he likely only gets traded to a team like Chicago as a playoff tuneup. If a young team like Florida or Toronto are interested in strengthening their goalie position, they do it NOW because realistically they are trying to have the best regular season possible (so management and fans see progress, etc), and maybe make the playoffs. They will fail in the playoffs with or w/o Luongo so why trade for him giving up assets 3/4 of the way into the season? If Florida trades for him at the deadline their offer would go DOWN not up.

And thats if they get "desperate".....

If their goalies play ok:

They most probably stand pat at the deadline knowing they wont do much in the playoffs anyway, and if anything will probably want to tank the remainder of the season to move up in the draft-so it would be a stupid idea to get Luongo at that point, cuz it would hurt the tank and could cost picks/prospects.

If their goalies play stellar:

Well....bad news for us

If Luongo isn't traded by the start of the season, we are in another Hodgson situation again, and this time its public so we can say goodbye to even a crappy return of a "4th line plug." We need this trade waaay more than Florida or T.O

Archived