The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

I'll take these stable Luongo stats over heavily unrealistic Schneider stats. No goaltender can maintain Schneider's stats being a 60+ game 1G.

2010-2011 - 2.11 GAA .928 Sv%

The guy pulls a 1.76 GAA and a .927 Sv% winning gold and still manages to pull a 2.57 GAA .913 Sv% for the Canucks in 2010. Winning gold took a toll on Luongo. He comes back the next year and posts a 2.11 GAA .928 Sv% and comes within a few hours of kissing silverware.

Some will argue the Stanley Cup is the hardest trophy of all sports to win. It is expected that there will be a slight down in production the next year after over exhaustion and a short summer recovery. If you don't believe it, do some research on post-SCF teams, silver or not, and you will see there is a sllight dropoff every time. He still pulled a 2.41 GAA and a .919 Sv%.

With a 2.29, 2.38, 2.34, 2.57, 2.11 and 2.41 GAA and a .921, .917, .920, .913, .928 and a .919 Sv% since coming to Vancouver, I feel the team's goaltending is secure.

The dire need is secondary scoring, which Kesler as a center does not provide. Schneider has been built to be traded. This is what Gillis does.

I don't know if it's really worth arguing about to be honest.

In all reality Luongo is a more proven goalie with more of a sample size, no one doubts that he is a great NHL goaltender and much better option than most goalies in the league. Money aside I'm most GM's would take Luongo over their starter with exception to a handful of teams.

The canucks could deal either one, if they dealt Schneider they would likely get a better return (more reasonable contract, younger, more potential).

Luongo is Luongo, everyone knows what your going to get, some years one of the top 3 goalies in the league, other years maybe 5-10 range for goalies. Either way he's not going to bring much more than he already has to the table for us. For other teams he would be a big improvement and make a difference.

The argument that Schneider hasnt played enough games is not a good one. Schneider has been a top notch goalie at every level he has ever played. He's always had a very high save percentage and good GAA. He is a great goaltender. Who honestly thinks that with more games under his belt he could become worse? If anything he will become better. He may not keep up the numbers he has posted this season but no one expects him to. If he puts up 2.10-2.25 GAA and a .92 - .925 we have as good of a chance with Luongo. I think the difference is what Schneids does in big games with lots on the line where Lou can be unpredictable Schneider has proven he can play calm and collected and not let in 5-7 goals.

Being a proven winner is where the difference is. Luongo has won nothing in the NHL and that baggage makes it harder to win. If he had a Cup and a couple Vezinas under his belt the pressure would be so much less.

Brodeur has won everything there is to win, so last year at 40 was much easier becasue he has nothing to prove and his team mates know they can count on him.

Playing 12 NHL seasons and having not won anything does more harm than good for Lu or his team mates.

Since expansion name me 1 goalie who won their 1st Cup in their 13th NHL season or longer.

There are 4 goalies who won with less experience than Schneider. Niemi, Dryden, Ward, Roy all won with less experience than Schneider, and the last 3 on the list won the Conn Smythe as their teams best player, so they were the biggest reason why their teams won.

I don't think so. One great year by Schneider under no pressure and one bad year post-SCF from Luongo does not make it that Luongo is traded for sure. Schneider is not there yet and Luongo has been there for a long time. This Schneider fanfare is great for fans and the Luongo saga is even better.

What pisses me off is the utter disrespect pro-Schneider fans are showing Luongo when in FACT (for Vanity smurf), he is one of three goaltenders to bring the Canucks to the big danse: R. Brodeur, McLean and Luongo.

They say Vancouver is a goalie graveyard, but I have never once heard that Brodeur or McLean were the reasons we lost the SCF because anyone who was around knows they were the reason we got there. You have said every season we dont win the cup is because we use the goalie as our scapegoat, but 2 of the 3 times we made the finals our goalies were worshipped in Vancouver.

They say Vancouver is a goalie graveyard, but I have never once heard that Brodeur or McLean were the reasons we lost the SCF because anyone who was around knows they were the reason we got there. You have said every season we dont win the cup is because we use the goalie as our scapegoat, but 2 of the 3 times we made the finals our goalies were worshipped in Vancouver.

Being a proven winner is where the difference is. Luongo has won nothing in the NHL and that baggage makes it harder to win. If he had a Cup and a couple Vezinas under his belt the pressure would be so much less.

Brodeur has won everything there is to win, so last year at 40 was much easier becasue he has nothing to prove and his team mates know they can count on him.

Playing 12 NHL seasons and having not won anything does more harm than good for Lu or his team mates.

Since expansion name me 1 goalie who won their 1st Cup in their 13th NHL season or longer.

There are 4 goalies who won with less experience than Schneider. Niemi, Dryden, Ward, Roy all won with less experience than Schneider, and the last 3 on the list won the Conn Smythe as their teams best player, so they were the biggest reason why their teams won.

Ultimate goal is to win it all,,being close does not count,,if we did win 2 seasons ago this wouldn't be discussed. Being runner up is being the best loser.

WCC is nice,,but it is not Stanley Cup Champion, Olympics is a short tournament that we had by far the best team on home turf and still hung on for dear life,,,Nominated and winning are worlds apart,,,the best win,,Lu has not and will not ever win a Vezina,,,is actually 6 playoff wins in 12 seasons,,,is that good in your books?

Archived