The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

Hockeyy Insiderr@HockeyyInsiderr

On Luongo: looks like he will indeed be traded before training camp but as of right now sources say #Leafs are #OUT.#Canucks

Collapse

I have been informed a deal between #FLAPanthers and #Canucks is VERY LIKELY to be worked out but talks slowed down due to CBA negotiations.

Expand

As per my sources, there is a very good chance at this moment Luongo will line up for the #FLAPanthers to begin next season.#Canucks

Expand

The deal is NOT DONE yet by any means, but 2 teams have several talks per week. Hearing the deal will eventually be centered around Matthias

Expand

Before playing a game in the NHL,,,

Although the Islanders planned to have Luongo play in the NHL for the 1998–99 season, an inconsistent performance at training camp led to Luongo's return to the QMJHL that season.[10] Due to having failed to come to terms on a contract before October 1, 1998, Luongo was not allowed to be called up to the Islanders from junior over the course of the subsequent seasson

.Mike Milbury said about Lu during his 1st season,,

"In January 2000, Luongo was publicly criticized by Islanders general manager Mike Milbury for having gone looking for an apartment in New York on a game day before letting in seven goals to the Boston Bruins.[29] Milbury told the media, "You can't do that in the NHL. You have to prepare yourself." Luongo defended himself by saying he did not divert from his usual game day routine by looking at just one apartment.[29]

Sort of getting back on track, Gillis has a propensity for pulling stuff straight out of left field. No one saw White et al for Ehrhoff, no one saw Samuelsson + whatever his name was for Booth, no one saw Hodgson for Kassian. Point is we know Luongo's going to FLA, but I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if other pieces/aspects of the trade were pulled so far out of left field no one would have seen them coming.

I think because of this, Gillis is going to surprise a lot of people (and potentially disappoint a lot of others) on this forum, in the media and the fan base at large.

Should be interesting to see what happens.

Ya.. Before we got Lapierre there was an endless drone of topics vouching for or predicting trade targets... IIRC, Konopka was the favorite and basically no-one thought there wash chance of Lapierre coming here.

In fact, name 3 Canuck trades or signings that was predicted by more then 5-10% of CDC. Hamhuis is the only one I remember!

Ya.. Before we got Lapierre there was an endless drone of topics vouching for or predicting trade targets... IIRC, Konopka was the favorite and basically no-one thought there wash chance of Lapierre coming here.

In fact, name 3 Canuck trades or signings that was predicted by more then 5-10% of CDC. Hamhuis is the only one I remember!

Recent goaltender trades/signings: (yes I am being somewhat selective)

Trades:

Semeon Varlamov - 2 consecutive first round picks from COL

Sergei Bobrovsky - 3 picks - 2nd, two 4ths.

Anders Lindback - 3 picks, two 2nds and a 3rd

Signings:

Bryzgalov - 9 year/ 51 million $

Price - 6 year/ 39 million $

Quick - 10 year/ 58 million $

I'd like to make two points here, 1. That trades with even marginal or unproven goaltenders end up with multiple picks coming back. 2. That signing top end goaltender talent is costly, and in the case of Bryzgalov, a UFA goaltender a massive amount of money had to be thrown his way.

If Tallon thinks he can get a top end goaltender in Luongo for a couple throwaways he is sorely mistaken. The contract, which seems to be a deciding factor is actually comparatively good to some of the goaltender contracts currently out there. The front loaded Luongo deal has seen 20 million paid, a third of the 12 year deal accounted for. So Tallon gets a reasonable contract on an excellent goaltender with a chunk of his contract already served.

There is no reason for Tallon to low ball Gillis, taking into consideration the trades for goaltenders recently (who are not proven or as good as Luongo), as well as factoring the contracts of goaltenders with similar talent. Make him pay Gillis.

Great point made by ossi vannannanananan or how ever you spell it lol.

I think Gillis is playing poker, Tallon knows he needs Lu and cant live another year with 2 backups and is bluffing his arse off to give up less to Gillis.

Hopefully MG holds his composure and Tallon eventually folds.

Archived