The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

Recent goaltender trades/signings: (yes I am being somewhat selective)

Trades:

Semeon Varlamov - 2 consecutive first round picks from COL

Sergei Bobrovsky - 3 picks - 2nd, two 4ths.

Anders Lindback - 3 picks, two 2nds and a 3rd

Signings:

Bryzgalov - 9 year/ 51 million $

Price - 6 year/ 39 million $

Quick - 10 year/ 58 million $

I'd like to make two points here, 1. That trades with even marginal or unproven goaltenders end up with multiple picks coming back. 2. That signing top end goaltender talent is costly, and in the case of Bryzgalov, a UFA goaltender a massive amount of money had to be thrown his way.

If Tallon thinks he can get a top end goaltender in Luongo for a couple throwaways he is sorely mistaken. The contract, which seems to be a deciding factor is actually comparatively good to some of the goaltender contracts currently out there. The front loaded Luongo deal has seen 20 million paid, a third of the 12 year deal accounted for. So Tallon gets a reasonable contract on an excellent goaltender with a chunk of his contract already served.

There is no reason for Tallon to low ball Gillis, taking into consideration the trades for goaltenders recently (who are not proven or as good as Luongo), as well as factoring the contracts of goaltenders with similar talent. Make him pay Gillis.

Truthfully, I simply can't understand why other GM's in the league aren't jumping on the chance to get Luongo. Whoever gets him is almost a lock for a GM of the year award. They have a chance to get a superstar goalie that will carry their franchise for the next five years. No player on their current roster or farm system is likely to do that.

Luongo is still in his prime, has a cap friendly deal, and all he has ever done is win. So he fell short in Game 7. He's still miles ahead of every other goalie in Canuck history.

There's a saying in sports that you never want to get 4 quarters for of a dollar. The Canucks are basically offering a dollar for 3 quarters and stubborn fools like Burke are not willing to buy in.

I don't blame Gillis for holding on to Luongo at this point.

I think it wouldn't be the worst thing to just let the season play out a bit. There's a very high chance that Lindback busts in Tampa and Columbus might have a change of heart if they get off to a good start. If they have a good team but Mason/Bob are holding them back they might be willing to pull the trigger. Toronto would also get more desperate especially if they get off to a bad start and the vultures begin to circle above Burke's office.

I think it wouldn't be the worst thing to just let the season play out a bit. There's a very high chance that Lindback busts in Tampa and Columbus might have a change of heart if they get off to a good start. If they have a good team but Mason/Bob are holding them back they might be willing to pull the trigger. Toronto would also get more desperate especially if they get off to a bad start and the vultures begin to circle above Burke's office.

Recent goaltender trades/signings: (yes I am being somewhat selective)

Trades:

Semeon Varlamov - 2 consecutive first round picks from COL

Sergei Bobrovsky - 3 picks - 2nd, two 4ths.

Anders Lindback - 3 picks, two 2nds and a 3rd

Signings:

Bryzgalov - 9 year/ 51 million $

Price - 6 year/ 39 million $

Quick - 10 year/ 58 million $

I'd like to make two points here, 1. That trades with even marginal or unproven goaltenders end up with multiple picks coming back. 2. That signing top end goaltender talent is costly, and in the case of Bryzgalov, a UFA goaltender a massive amount of money had to be thrown his way.

If Tallon thinks he can get a top end goaltender in Luongo for a couple throwaways he is sorely mistaken. The contract, which seems to be a deciding factor is actually comparatively good to some of the goaltender contracts currently out there. The front loaded Luongo deal has seen 20 million paid, a third of the 12 year deal accounted for. So Tallon gets a reasonable contract on an excellent goaltender with a chunk of his contract already served.

There is no reason for Tallon to low ball Gillis, taking into consideration the trades for goaltenders recently (who are not proven or as good as Luongo), as well as factoring the contracts of goaltenders with similar talent. Make him pay Gillis.

Smart money says Luongo's been dealt, awaiting labor resolution

Forget about show business, truth is there's no business like business, it supersedes all else because all else flows from it. In hockey the business of a new contract between the NHL and the NHLPA is of such import it may be holding up a trade.

Roberto Luongo is headed somewhere, that is as much a given as the greed of NHL owners and players. For my money he's already been dealt, the deal all but completed in July and all over but the thousands of column inches media will give it once it's been announced. It's a deal that will see him back in Florida, where, as we all know, he already is. So why don't the Vancouver Canucks and Florida Panthers announce now? Because there are details that hinge on the contract the NHL and NHLPA will finally agree to. In other words, they're waiting for the business to be straightened out.

Luongo has a decade left on his deal and his cap hitis $5.3 million per, sizable, though not out of line for a gold-medal-winning, all-star goalie, and what is coming back in return is going to depend upon where the salary cap winds up. If it drops lower than expected, Vancouver may get less than they'd like, or may even be forced to take a contract in return.

Roberto Luongo: Homeward Bound

There have been rumblings all along that it's Florida and Luongo's demeanor this off-season, or at least when he's been in the public eye, suggests a total lack of concern. He was very relaxed while playing in the World Series of Poker in Las Vegas last month, in fact he was in a positively jovial frame of mind about his future. And not only did he say that he was leaving Vancouver he told another poker player from Florida that he may be playing there again.

There was that magazine, the Fourth Period, back in late June that claims a source close to it all said Luongo was only willing to waive his no-trade contract to get back to Florida. The magazine said that what was holding up the deal was Florida's reluctance to include young forward Nick Bjugstad; surely that was resolved and the hold-up, again, became money and the cap.

There was also the dinner he did or did not have with Michael Yormark in Las Vegas while at the poker tournament. Yormark happens to be the president of the Panthers and before leaving for Vegas from Florida, he'd tweeted "On the road again this week. Heading to vegas for a very important dinner on monday night." That could be code for Luongo, no?

Obviously Luongo is the one who holds all the cards, with that no-trade clause he can simply say 'no'. I might have believed it could be Toronto or Chicago earlier, but the lateness - training camps open in a month if there's no lock-out - suggests he's relaxed about it because he knows where he's going. He's not worried about house-hunting in another NHL city because he has a house in Miami and he knows he'll be back there playing for the Florida Panthers.

And as soon as the NHL and NHLPA stop fighting over who gets how much of the billion plus that fans send their way each season, we'll know about it, too.

Truthfully, I simply can't understand why other GM's in the league aren't jumping on the chance to get Luongo. Whoever gets him is almost a lock for a GM of the year award. They have a chance to get a superstar goalie that will carry their franchise for the next five years. No player on their current roster or farm system is likely to do that.

Luongo is still in his prime, has a cap friendly deal, and all he has ever done is win. So he fell short in Game 7. He's still miles ahead of every other goalie in Canuck history.

There's a saying in sports that you never want to get 4 quarters for of a dollar. The Canucks are basically offering a dollar for 3 quarters and stubborn fools like Burke are not willing to buy in.

I don't blame Gillis for holding on to Luongo at this point.

^^^ It's some idiot who thinks the new CBA might have a lower cap hit and the Canucks will get less in return for Luongo if that happens.

He has never heard of salary roll-back, or how the new CBA/cap hit will affect existing contracts. Moron.

Wow, you have to be the president of Luongo's fanclub.

It is my belief that the other GMs in the league aren't jumping on Luongo because (aside from a lockout) he has proven that he cant deliver in the playoffs without a very high calibre team in front of him. He'll serve you well in the regular season but after that you are on your own.

I think Luongo's superstar status is behind him and he would not be able to carry a middle of the pack type of team for 5 years, maybe 2 or 3 but anything beyond that is very optimistic, he would be in his late 30s after all.

Luongo is no longer in his prime, IMO he hit his ceiling in 2010/11, it's probably all down hill from there.

"All he has ever done is win"? What has he won? He didn't do much winning before coming to the Canucks. He hasn't won anything particularly noteworthy since being here. He has won a lot of regular season games on a mostly good to great Canucks team, that's about all. Yes I know he won the Gold Medal which is not an NHL accomplishment.

He was mediocre in game 7 of the SCF, which was the biggest game of his life. He's also fallen short by quite a margin in some other very important games.

I wouldn't say he's miles ahead of Kirk Mclean. You cant really compare the stats between the two of them because of the different eras. We do know that Kirk did get us closer to a cup than Luongo on an inferior version of our team compared to today's. Yes, Luongo is miles ahead of the rest of our goalies but I wouldn't be surprised to see Cory Schneider surpass his records some day.

Before playing a game in the NHL,,,

Although the Islanders planned to have Luongo play in the NHL for the 1998–99 season, an inconsistent performance at training camp led to Luongo's return to the QMJHL that season.[10] Due to having failed to come to terms on a contract before October 1, 1998, Luongo was not allowed to be called up to the Islanders from junior over the course of the subsequent seasson

.Mike Milbury said about Lu during his 1st season,,

"In January 2000, Luongo was publicly criticized by Islanders general manager Mike Milbury for having gone looking for an apartment in New York on a game day before letting in seven goals to the Boston Bruins.[29] Milbury told the media, "You can't do that in the NHL. You have to prepare yourself." Luongo defended himself by saying he did not divert from his usual game day routine by looking at just one apartment.[29]

Archived