Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Templeton Peck

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

2,403 posts in this topic

So if it ends up being Howden and a 2nd and then looking at the Ballard trade;

Lu, Grabner and Bernier

For

Ballard, Oreo and a 2nd

Ouch! (though I do like the Booth and Higgins trades)

Exactly.Which makes me wonder.... what would people think of a straight up deal for Brooks Laich? The Caps have Backstrom, Ribiero, Johansson, Perreault and Beagle down the middle without him.

Luongo will win his starting job back with the Canucks this year. F the haters.

As a huge Luongo fan, I hope that would be the case and that we stick with Luongo and trade Cory. But looking at it right now, it seems highly unlikely that will happen.

Luongo is a proven commodity, while Schneider is not. That's the only thing Luongo has going for himself at this moment. When Cory comes out as the starter and strings together games, teams will obviously scout him more heavily with larger sample sizes and try to expose his weaknesses (ie, Jared Stoll's series-winner in game 5 where Schneider cheats off the post on the blocker side). Also, Schneider will be facing tougher opponents on a more regular basis (not saying he was sheltered--he played some huge games last season--but he will be doing a lot more of that than last year surely, if he is the starter).

It's Schneider's job to lose right now, and I don't think he will. But if he does, then it'll be because teams find some of Schneider's weaknesses (possible) which will bring his numbers back to where he should be and/or Schneider tires out (very unlikely as he is a very well-conditioned athlete).

I do worry slightly about Schneider because he isn't 100% proven and that our window to win with the current core is small now. But he has shown that he is capable and was better than Luongo in a smaller sample--and to become proven, you gotta start somewhere. If he proves to continue to be better with a larger sample, then I'm all for it. It would be sad to see Luongo leave though.

As a huge Luongo fan, I hope that would be the case and that we stick with Luongo and trade Cory. But looking at it right now, it seems highly unlikely that will happen.

Luongo is a proven commodity, while Schneider is not. That's the only thing Luongo has going for himself at this moment. When Cory comes out as the starter and strings together games, teams will obviously scout him more heavily with larger sample sizes and try to expose his weaknesses (ie, Jared Stoll's series-winner in game 5 where Schneider cheats off the post on the blocker side). Also, Schneider will be facing tougher opponents on a more regular basis (not saying he was sheltered--he played some huge games last season--but he will be doing a lot more of that than last year surely, if he is the starter).

It's Schneider's job to lose right now, and I don't think he will. But if he does, then it'll be because teams find some of Schneider's weaknesses (possible) which will bring his numbers back to where he should be and/or Schneider tires out (very unlikely as he is a very well-conditioned athlete).

I do worry slightly about Schneider because he isn't 100% proven and that our window to win with the current core is small now. But he has shown that he is capable and was better than Luongo in a smaller sample--and to become proven, you gotta start somewhere. If he proves to continue to be better with a larger sample, then I'm all for it. It would be sad to see Luongo leave though.

It does take a leap of faith to move Lu over Schneider. I support such a move because it makes the Canucks younger, unloads a big contract but more than anything it should give the Canucks some quality talent in return. It is all about weighing the options. One might argue that CS would return more but even if it amounted to the equivalent of one more 1st rounder would it be worth it?

Considering the fact that Schneider has no trade restrictions included in his contract, as well as the latter being perfectly structured.

Considering the fact that Schneider could be dealt to any team, including a non-playoff team,

Considering the fact that the returns could include and not necessarily singularly a top 5-10 1st round pick,

Then yes, it could be worth it.

Full version > Last page > mobile version

Just an easier way than uping your post count

They really need to fix that issue on the app, cause It's stupid to have to post to see the last page.

They really need to fix that issue on the app, cause It's stupid to have to post to see the last page.

I see this thread has gotten more and more interesting as the summer's gone on....

Trade him to Tampa or Toronto when they get desperate.