The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

The question is, would Gillis trade Schneider for Gudbranson or Huberdeau? And would the Panthers be willing to part with either of these players for a younger top goalie like Schneider?

Supposedly those are two of the players that Gillis wanted. In Huberdeau you have and elite third line center for this season, and a future center replacement for the second line. In Gudbranson you have a youngbig tough Pronger-esque defenceman that could make Edler expendable or stack our D that much more.

It would be hard to turn down either of those players. The only question is, would Luongo be willing to stay?

The question is, would Gillis trade Schneider for Gudbranson or Huberdeau? And would the Panthers be willing to part with either of these players for a younger top goalie like Schneider?

Supposedly those are two of the players that Gillis wanted. In Huberdeau you have and elite third line center for this season, and a future center replacement for the second line. In Gudbranson you have a youngbig tough Pronger-esque defenceman that could make Edler expendable or stack our D that much more.

It would be hard to turn down either of those players. The only question is, would Luongo be willing to stay?

He was under scrutiny during the Olympics for questionable goals against, and shaky games. He was far from the reason we won gold.

I am no Luongo hater, although I would prefer to keep Schneider, and I definitely don't subscribe to ridiculous fantasies about players being involved in tricking everyone in the hockey world in to thinking one goalie is getting traded just to maximize return for the other.

That's just silly.

Huh? I don't think thats the question at all. The point of getting Luongo is Florida has Markstrom waiting in the wings, and needs a 3-4 year stop gap without breaking the bank. Why would they trade Huberdeau or Gudbranson just to have Schneider and Markstrom?

So we should have stayed with Broduer? Face it he we needed more than just some pads lying on the ice, no matter how it looked Loui stepped in took the reigns and got the job done and when it looked dubious at best that we would win gold. You know your reaching when you have to try to use his accomplishments against him(not specifically you, Widen, in this case).

And Loui also doesn't have to be in cahoots with GMMG to raise Schneiders value. His comments at the poker game could easily be an off hand sarcastic comment, I could see myself making the same comments with a sile on my face, especially if he is confident in his position within the organization. If you want to disprove Sensemakers theory isn't there like a quote from Lou saying "its time to move on" that would be a way better point of attack then just calling him a tin foil hat wearer.

For the record I just want the best return for the team I think both goaltenders are capable to lead this team in goal.

Interesting... Because it seems this board believes it would take Luongo, prospects and picks to pry just one of Huberdeau or Gudbranson...

Luongo is not a franchise goaltender?

Sorry to (bottle popping sound) pop your bubble but a goaltender with 727 regular season games and 61 playoff games is a proven franchise goaltender. A goaltender with 68 regular season games and 8 playoff games is not a proven goaltender.

Nash never wanted to come to Vancouver. As for "winning the job" Luongo AND the whole team "peaked" (Gillis) around the Boston game.

Schneider played 33 games last year so he was the freshest player on the team.

Guarantee Schneider plays 70+ games like Luongo has before and he won't be a sure bet to win the Cup, even with a President's Trophy winning team.

Archived