The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

Nash never wanted to come to Vancouver. It is possible Gillis did offer Schneider to Columbus and Nash refused to waive his NTC.

As for "winning the job" Luongo AND the whole team "peaked" (Gillis) around the Boston game.

Schneider played 33 games last year so he was the freshest player on the team.

Guarantee Schneider plays 70+ games like Luongo has before and he won't be a sure bet to win the Cup, even with a President's Trophy winning team.

LOL, yeah I had thought that a couple times.

I think if you look back, because I think there are 3 or 4 replies I have made, that I did mention that one too. And yeah, I can see him joking around about it too.

I was not really trying to use Lu's accomplishments against him to make him seem like a crappy goalie. As said, I like Lu, but I think Schneider is the better goalie going forward. I was merely pointing out that it is what it is, and no more than that. It wasn't like he had a lesser team that he managed to carry through to win it unexpectedly. I am not trying to knock it down, but rather keep the accomplishment from being elevated to a shining star above our goaltending messiah.

I think Huberdeau is the more expensive prospect, and I really don't know what it would take. I wouldn't like to give up much more than Schneider for him, and I don't think Gillis would either.

I don't know Gudbranson as well. I know we could use a future #1D, but those who are projected that way are no guarantee. Either one sounds pretty good, but does their talent help us during our short window? I think that's the bigger question.

I think Huberdeau could be well served playing 2C between Kesler and Booth. He would have some protection there and could possibly turn out to have Seguin-esque early breakout.

Gudbranson is not a points producer at any level of hockey so he's entirely a big body shut down D. He definitely doesn't have te stigma Pronger, Weber and Doughty had when they came into te league.

My bet would be Huberdeau would better serve the needs of Vancouver as he has produced ridiculous numbers throughout his young career and the Canucks are in dire need of secondary scoring. I see Huberdeau as a second chance to a Hodgson type player but with better production, better speed and better attitude. Closer (but not quite) to Stamkos' game.

Gillis on Luongo:

"We're listening," Gillis said. "We have been listening to teams that are interested in acquiring him. If we get what we think the value is there we'll trade him. I don't have a timetable. In fact, in hockey things can change in five minutes with one phone call. It's unrealistic to put a timetable on it."

No, if they're at the same level, and one is a 26 year old just entering his prime that will likely give you at least another 5 years of top goaltending. And the other is a 33 year old and at the end of his prime. You go with the goalie that will give you the best chance now and into the future.

A number 1 goalie has way more value than any young top 6 forward that you're going to get back in a trade. And the only real difference between their trade value is likely that Luongo will bring back an unproven prospect, whereas Schneider could probably fetch a proven NHLer. Our top 6 is pretty full right now anyways.

Well it makes no sense to trade for an "unproven prospect" versus proven "NHLer" at this point because we are pushing for the cup in between the next 3 seasons.

Adding a top 6 forward is our biggest need right now, we need firepower and goal scoring.

And on the note of Schneider being younger, Lack is coming up and we potentially could have another great tandem, and if we choose to keep Luongo, Lack would eventually become our number one.

Goaltending is the LEAST of our worries, we need a top 6 forward, and Schneider could be the solution to fetch that.

Gillis said back in June / July that August would have a better trade market to trade Lu. Well.. its September now. Did they not think before handing him a long term contract?

If Schenn was on the table straight up back in June, then I would start a petition to fire Gillis.

So the Canucks win the President's Trophy and go to a SCF, lose to the meanie Beanies, play the next season on a playoff hangover, win the President's Trophy again and lose in the first round to the eternal cokeheads, the fans call for Luongo's head promptly, the league and players start their little fight over money, league wide trading and signing is stalled but Luongo isn't traded to whoever wants a bag of pucks with a heartbeat and now you're calling for the man's head who is ultimately responsible for it all?

Archived