The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

so with Canauckanuck obvious lack of market dynamics in mind please answer what you feel a return for Luongo would be.

as Canauckanuck said a single good player is at least the minimum.

im no market dynamics guru but i do know that lowballing and insulting a manager within your peer group tends to negatively affect future dealings, not to mention looks unprofessional aesthetically.

personally id take one good player just to free up the cap space and eliminate the post season guessing games as to which Luongo we're going to see play.

So what you're saying essentially is that Gillis was a fool for not trading Schneider long before he had any trade value.. :rolleyes:

The problem with this theory is that you wanted Schneider traded before there was any evidence of Schneider being the better goaltender. At that point, he was nothing but a backup goaltender, not far removed from the AHL. He would have brought very little value.

If the league gets it's way, and salaries are dropped 24%. Luongo's cap hit becomes $4.028 million. Considering his clauses in his contract start kicking in 3-4 years from now lowering his options on NTC. I think Luongo might become more attractive to teams at this point.

Just a thought.

In this case, since it's up to Luongo where he ends up, we can't dictate the return. It's whatever they'll give us. Why? Because the alternative is bringing that distraction into our locker room, sitting him on the bench, and letting his value decline further.

The market doesn't care about fairness. Florida doesn't care about fairness or "being professional". Dale Tallon, like every other GM, wants the most for the least. Mike Gillis can only take what they'll give him. He has NO power.

The fact that you think the difference between the abilities of Lou and Schneider is miniscule only shows that you don;t really understand the goaltending position, because their is a huge difference, with Schneider far superior. Why else would management opt for Schneider, and don;t give me the cheaper, younger BS. We will get for Lou whatever a team in the running thinks hes worth, no more, unless MG pulls some magic. The only person who is kidding himself here is you, cuz Schneider is miles better...compare his numbers last year !

Your analysis is undertaken with the benifit of hindsight. Gillis had no way of knowing Lu would pull a melt down against Boston nor that he would play a mediocre season last year and be average in his starts against LA. He knew COry had great potential but also did not know that Cory woudl develop into a potential top 5 type goalie (lIke it or not, that is a distinct possibility as observed by many in the industry).

Don't tell me that he didn't have value. He was a 1st round pick that was making serious noise in the AHL. Sound familiar? Like, say, Zack Kassian? He was able to land Buffalo Cody Hodgson. Don't tell me that Cory Schneider had no value.

And even if you don't trade him in 2009, fine, trade him in 2010. Trade him in 2011 during/after his excellent rookie season. Christ, trade him at the 2012 deadline. There was ample time to solve this. Mike Gillis chose to push, and push, and push, until it exploded. And now, we're stuck trading Luongo for whatever Florida will give us.

In this case, since it's up to Luongo where he ends up, we can't dictate the return. It's whatever they'll give us. Why? Because the alternative is bringing that distraction into our locker room, sitting him on the bench, and letting his value decline further.

The market doesn't care about fairness. Florida doesn't care about fairness or "being professional". Dale Tallon, like every other GM, wants the most for the least. Mike Gillis can only take what they'll give him. He has NO power.

Don't tell me that he didn't have value. He was a 1st round pick that was making serious noise in the AHL. Sound familiar? Like, say, Zack Kassian? He was able to land Buffalo Cody Hodgson. Don't tell me that Cory Schneider had no value.

And even if you don't trade him in 2009, fine, trade him in 2010. Trade him in 2011 during/after his excellent rookie season. Christ, trade him at the 2012 deadline. There was ample time to solve this. Mike Gillis chose to push, and push, and push, until it exploded. And now, we're stuck trading Luongo for whatever Florida will give us.

2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, whatever, just move him! Didn't have to be as soon as the ink dried.

I was saying last summer (2011) that he needed to be moved ASAP, because his trade value would never be higher. At that point, the thought of trading Luongo hadn't even been explored by anyone - rightfully so, NTC, 12-year contract and all.

That's confirmation of a mistake right there, because I'm sure he's been even further underwhelmed by what's been offered for Lou.

Lou wasn't the only guy who folded like a cheap tent in Boston - the entire team did. No excuses. 8 goals in 7 games say hello.

I agree the team underperformed. Lu let in numerous "easy" and "untimely" goals that compounded the problem. He was given a "franchise player" contract to not be part of the problem.

Also, I'm not sure what you were watching last year, but Lou was our most consistent player and probably our MVP.

Disagree. Lu had a few stretches where he played well but his start was slower and worse than ususal and he finished poorly. No way was he our MVP.

Crazy idea - sign one, for even less. Or, play Cory with the intent of trading him, and then sign one when that happens.

TO save a couple thousand dollars, you give up one of the best up and coming goalies in the league?! I'm with GIllis on holding onto Cory to see how good he could get.

That's not a roadblock in the slightest.

Nope. It's Gillis. He allowed the situation to fester and expand. Luongo's play isn't the issue, and he is not at all the only one who's been less effective in the playoffs (though he definitely doesn't use the "I was injured!" excuse as often as other Canucks do *COUGH*kesler*COUGH*burrows). Suggesting that his behaviour is the issue is a joke.

And if you think he's becoming a distraction NOW, wait until the calamity that would ensue if Mike Gillis is actually dumb enough to invite him to our training camp.

I agree, Lu has to go before the season starts. He will be a major distraction in the dressing room and with the press if he is still with the Nucks in October. After the things he has said, it is very obvious he isn't interested in competing for a starting job and is well aware that the Nucks management believe Cory is their future. It would be suicide to keep a guy like Lu around with those undercurrents.

2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, whatever, just move him! Didn't have to be as soon as the ink dried.

I was saying last summer (2011) that he needed to be moved ASAP, because his trade value would never be higher. At that point, the thought of trading Luongo hadn't even been explored by anyone - rightfully so, NTC, 12-year contract and all.

How could Schneider's trade value be never higher than in 2011,when he has unseated a vezina candidate in 2012...to me that seems to indicate a higher value.

That's confirmation of a mistake right there, because I'm sure he's been even further underwhelmed by what's been offered for Lou.

Your whole response suggests that you have no idea how market dynamics work in the real world.

So that I don't need to give you a long-winded lesson, can you instead just explain to me how you think that Mike Gillis has any sort of leverage in this negotiation at all, with the knowledge that Luongo essentially has demanded a trade and that the Canucks obviously do not benefit by allocating $5.2M of their cap to their backup goaltender. "Sitting him on the bench" doesn't count as a feasible option.

Archived