The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

The only way the leverage increases is if a team that could be interested finds their goaltending is worse than expected and has to look for help in that department. The offers would get better in that case as the need would be greater. No guarantees that happens to a team that would fit with a Luongo deal, but there will be some teams that have sub par goaltending as the season wears on (Toronto, I'm looking at you).

Luongo still has to agree to the destination.

NYI will probably get off to a lousy start, as will CBJ and the other perennial bottom-feeders. Luongo won't be going to any of 'em. You mention Toronto, but it's been said (Botchford) that there was already a deal in place to send him there, which he vetoed. With Lu, I think it'll either be Chicago (hockey reasons) or Florida (family reasons). Can't see any reason for him to compromise on his stance.

The ONE team that possibly could come out of the woodwork to be interested, if they have a terrible start, is Tampa Bay, but I doubt it, I think they'll give Lindback an opportunity to be the starter for a while and find his feet.

The biggest distraction ever, far bigger than even Bure's holdout. That is not a good idea at all, and his value will only get worse by sitting on our bench. If he starts on our bench, he's going to waivers pretty soon, I would think.

No kidding Nuck, ES is on a one way street and theres no changing that.He's committed to his opinion and not open to anything that contradicts it. Best to ignore his posts because they are so repeatitious and just fuels his intensity and frustration

I don't think there's anyway in hell we'd risk him on waivers. We'd get nothing in return and have to eat half his cap hit for the rest of his career - no way man.

If he starts on the bench he has to demonstrate he is a team guy and take it gracefully. From what I understand the Luongo-Schneider relationship is a good one, so hopefully he has no problem play behind a buddy.

Your Tampa point reinforces something I said 2 pages ago, that teams out of the playoff picture 2 months in would be willing to pay Gillis's cost to acquire goaltending. For right now and up until the season starts Luongo really isn't helping his cause by opening his mouth. If the deal with Florida is still not adequate I fully expect Gillis to wait, although it's been stated by many "insiders" that there is an agreement in place, just waiting for the CBA to be figured out.

If Luongo doesn't conduct himself in a professional manner, then ya maybe he gets waived. We're talking 3 months down the road where he's putting sabotage comments in the media and upsetting the locker room. This is a big IF. Of course if he does behave this way, not even bottom dwellers would be interested. Oh and his NTC is actually an NMC so he can't be waived, just bought out.

2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, whatever, just move him! Didn't have to be as soon as the ink dried.

I was saying last summer (2011) that he needed to be moved ASAP, because his trade value would never be higher. At that point, the thought of trading Luongo hadn't even been explored by anyone - rightfully so, NTC, 12-year contract and all.

That's confirmation of a mistake right there, because I'm sure he's been even further underwhelmed by what's been offered for Lou.

Possibly, but that's not the point. The point is that it was extremely risky to have held both assets for this long. Gillis got greedy, and it backfired. Schneider should've been moved at any time when we got have gotten a prospect/young player of equal pedigree/expected upside.

I can't really comment on that until you more precisely define "decent".

I totally disagree with you.

Luongo's value is a little lower due to his poor playoff performance. Other teams might use the (10 year contract) as a thing to try to reduce value, regardless Mike Gillis is a smart guy. Right now the interest might not be as high, as a lot of teams are set with their teams, and will see how their teams go as the season progresses. As that happens, some teams will realize they might need to improve their goaltending. If luongo does himself a favor, and plays good, it will increase his chance of getting traded, on top of getting more interest. He is a great goalie, and Mike Gilllis has not lost any leverage whatsoever on Luongo. Thank god you are not Gillis. There is no "timeline" only noobs like yourself will try to trade him within a timeline.

You clearly have NO IDEA what's really going on here.

Nobody is saying that Luongo's a bad goalie. Do us a favor, child, and look up what "NMC" means. Remember how Dany Heatley got traded to Edmonton, and it was vetoed? That's exactly what's going on here. Luongo has that sort of control.

So this whole thing has nothing to do with whether he's a good goalie, or worth his contract, or not, this is related to the fact that Roberto Luongo will not be interested in moving to probably 25/30 teams, meaning that we cannot trade him to them. You're forgetting that for this trade to happen, two things need to be at play:

• Goaltending need of the trade partner

• A willingness by Luongo to move there

Like I've said thousands of times before in this thread, Columbus can get off to the worst start in NHL history, they could offer the Canucks the moon, Roberto ain't goin' there. Do you see how the NMC is the key factor in this whole thing? VERY, VERY few teams for Mike Gillis to converse with. Probably only Florida, really, as I do believe that Roberto blocked a trade sending him to Toronto in the summer.

Archived