The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

So in other words, you win no matter what Luongo says.

If he gets flustered and impatient, he's a distraction and will cause problems for Vancouver.

If he says exactly what he says above, he's playing it cagey, not wanting to make trouble for the team or for his prospects going forward.

Here's a thought: maybe Lu is speaking his mind and telling the truth, you know, like he's shown here repeatedly for years.

But let's take your word for it. Say Luongo is just playing it low-key and he's secretly fuming.

Again, Lu's a smart guy. He knows that whenever this situation is resolved, next week or next year (in a lockout scenario), the truth about Lu's no-list, short-list, or long-list will come out. Gillis wasn't shy about spilling the beans about behind the scenes issues re Hodgson, and in another big deal like this one, he won't hesitate to make plain (if your scenario is correct) to contradict Lu as to his NOT being on board with waiving his no-trade.

Lu's demonstrated over his career that he values the perception others have about his integrity. If Luongo desperately wanted out at any cost, he could have long ago expressed that wish to Gillis and to the media. He holds all the cards, remember? The no-trade, and his benching in the playoffs.

But let's say you're completely correct. You were one of the others who said the Luongo situation would be a big media problem for the team. Well, how is it a problem now after Luongo's had his public say today?

It happens very easily.

Schneider has a bad game - media jump all over him. Fans panic, want to now keep Luongo instead. Amplify this X100 if Schneider were to somehow get off to a Luongo-esque start.

Nobody is saying that there would be a locker room cancer. Luongo wouldn't misbehave. But, this is Vancouver. To suggest that the players don't listen to the radio, see the tweets, and read the papers, is naive. It would affect performance, guys would be on edge, and it would be a very awkward environment; especially if Luongo is to somehow win the starting job again, if the aforementioned played out and Schneider got off to a very slow start. It'd be a mess.

You believe him? You're not really that naive, are you? Do you really think that Mike Gillis will begin initiating discussion with Garth Snow or Scott Howson?

Article from George Richards of Miami Herald:

http://www.miamihera...ongo-might.html

The Canucks are said to want a number of Florida’s top young players in return for Luongo. However, the Panthers aren’t interested in parting with any of their future building blocks. Nothing will happen on the trade front until labor issues are settled.

I really don think Lu ends up in Florida. They don't need him bad enough to part with the pieces that Gillis is gonna want.

Toronto on the other hand is desperate, has quite a few you assets that could benefit us, and are likely willing to do a deal.

I think people underestimate the value Colbourne has in a deal. He's that big tough third line center that this team has needed ever since Kesler was moved off the third line. He could very well be a Joe Thornton type player minus the laziness. Add Franson as a depth defenseman for us, and a pick, and that deal is looking pretty good.

I think people underestimate the value Colbourne has in a deal. He's that big tough third line center that this team has needed ever since Kesler was moved off the third line. He could very well be a Joe Thornton type player minus the laziness. Add Franson as a depth defenseman for us, and a pick, and that deal is looking pretty good.

Joe Thornton is a bit better than a "big, tough, third line center". He's a perennial all-star, Olympian, Hart, & Art Ross winner. You're saying that Joe Colborne's gonna be better?

I do agree that Toronto is probably a more logical trade partner than Florida, but, don't ever forget, Lou controls where he goes. And I suspect that Toronto is not a team that he'll want to go to. I do believe Botchford's assertion that there was a trade in place that had Schenn coming to Vancouver for Lou, which was vetoed by Lou. Lou can say all the right things to the media, put on a smiling face, etc., but I think the odds are high that he'll still end up in Florida. Mostly, because that's where he wants to be.

Haha, why are you and a few others so hung up on semantics? He doesn't need to say that he wants out, in front of a microphone, verbatim. What he said, about "moving on", multiple times, is more than enough evidence. The fact that he's talking about whether or not lists were submitted, that Florida would be a preferred destination, whether or not he thinks it'd be a distraction, etc., does that not register with you that he wants out?

Do you think that Cody Hodgson asked for a trade? When he was asked about it, he said that he didn't want to talk about the past, so I guess, by your definition, he must've been happy here and was legitimately surprised when he was moved?

I think he'd like to be the starter somewhere. I think he's mentioned "moving on" because it's fairly clear that the Canucks have decided that Cory is going to be the starter going forward.

I'm "hung up on semantics", because mentioning moving on is not the same as "publicly demanding a trade multiple times", and if Luongo had done so, there would be no reason whatsoever for him not to do so again in this last interview.

Yet, here he is, saying all of the right things, denying speculation that he's submitted a list of teams that he'd be willing to go to. Then you and your cronies pipe in with the hackneyed "what do you think he's going to say", as if to imply that Roberto wouldn't say anything to rock the boat, even though there are roughly 60 pages or so of the doom and gloom crowd accusing him of doing precisely that.

There is a faction on this board (of which you seem to be a charter member) that claim Luongo starting the season (if there is one) with the Canucks would be an unmitigated disaster and that he'd be "a cancer" in the dressing room. Then Luongo steps in a refutes that entire argument and you base your claim of his being disingenuous on an off-hand comment about "moving on".

Talk about semantics...

There is a faction on this board (of which you seem to be a charter member) that claim Luongo starting the season (if there is one) with the Canucks would be an unmitigated disaster and that he'd be "a cancer" in the dressing room. Then Luongo steps in a refutes that entire argument and you base your claim of his being disingenuous on an off-hand comment about "moving on".

Say the best deal we could get for Luongo is Colbourne , Franson and a 2nd. Does anyone think it would be possible to use those assets, add 1 or 2 more and get Evander Kane? I'm not gonna make an actual proposal cause it's the wrong forum for it....but basically I would like to see Gillis trade Luongo for assets and use those assets plus whatever else we need to throw in (i.e. booth) to get Kane.

Then 'when' doan signs.....just wow.

No, that's not all it takes. Roberto needs to agree to the destination. And his next destination is where he'll be spending the next 10 years of his life, so it makes sense that he's going to hold out for what he wants.

Garth Snow could wake up one morning and be convulsing in panic, offer John Tavares, Kyle Okposo, and Calvin de Haan, Roberto Luongo will not accept a trade to Long Island. For this deal to work, the trade partner both must have a need for a goaltender and be a place that Luongo is willing to move to for the next decade. These two constraints dwindle the pool of buyers to a handful, at the most.

Vancouver might be forced to take whatever scraps Florida is offering, because that might be the only place that Roberto is willing to move to.

And the problem with "waiting" is that what do you think will happen to Luongo's perceived value as he rots away on our bench? How would other teams explain to their fanbase that they traded player X or prospect Y for Vancouver's 33 year-old backup goaltender with a 10-year, big money contract?

Archived