The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

If there is no hockey season this year it will be almost impossible to trade him before hockey resumes. Lu struggles to start most seasons and a long layoff will surely kill any chances of trading him until he proves he can still play at an elite level by playing in regular season games as a Vancouver Canuck, and by judging what happened after the last lockout it does not look promising. After the lost season of 2004-05 Lu had his worst statistical season by a country mile in 2005-06 with a goal against average of 2.97 which is almost 1/2 a goal more than any other season since 2003-04(was 2.57 one season as a Canuck with his 2nd worst statistical season being last season at 2.41 since the lockout) with his lowest save percentage of any year as a Panther.

Right, Tony knows nothing, he's only been here for decades and is very well-connected to the Canucks, and is (presumably) paid a lot of money to write about them, but he knows nothing. I'm sure you said the same thing when he wrote the article that was ultimately foreshadowing Hodgson's trade; that there was a rift between him and the organization. In your world, surely, there was never such a rift.

Hodgson as Linden was what most were saying. He was our flag-bearer. He was the next generation. Deny this all you want, but it's the truth. Go back to this site's archives if you'd like. He was the next captain of this team, in most fans' eyes.

Right, Tony knows nothing, he's only been here for decades and is very well-connected to the Canucks, and is (presumably) paid a lot of money to write about them, but he knows nothing. I'm sure you said the same thing when he wrote the article that was ultimately foreshadowing Hodgson's trade; that there was a rift between him and the organization. In your world, surely, there was never such a rift.

Hodgson as Linden was what most were saying. He was our flag-bearer. He was the next generation. Deny this all you want, but it's the truth. Go back to this site's archives if you'd like. He was the next captain of this team, in most fans' eyes.

You're not sure of anything - in fact you couldn't be more wrong - what is certain is that you don't bother with what people actually say (what I actually wrote before the trade deadline was that the Canucks would have to move one of their centers) - we've been over this before - if you can't bother to read what someone else has said and respond to that, but prefer instead to substitute your own straw words, then you're not really having a conversation. Waste of time.

That you keep repeating this "flag-bearer, next generation, future captain" fanboy fantasy shows that you aren't able to reflect, even after the fact, upon how premature and unrealistic those expectations were. The ironing is that all the unearned hype actually hurt Hodgson - as did Gallagher's tire pumping and self-fulfilling prophecy (you claim he "predicted" the controvery - easy to do given his role in creating it) - it merely inflated a fiction that was never going to be lived up to. If you won't spare us the continuing saga, then fine - keep it coming - it has entertainment value - although of a relatively sad nature.

I'm "arguing" with people because they continue to make assumptions and then post them as fact. The trade demand is a good example. I've read every post in this thread and several article written about this story and I still disagree with you and King of the ES when you say Luogo has asked to be traded "multiple times". The only direct quote I've read is this "time to move on" bit and the comment immediately after last season's end, that he would waive his NTC if asked.

I have been paying attention, dude...

"It's time to move on" is not a demand to be traded. It's recognition of the fact that his time is likely done here. Not the same as demanding a trade.

I'm "arguing" with people because they continue to make assumptions and then post them as fact. The trade demand is a good example. I've read every post in this thread and several article written about this story and I still disagree with you and King of the ES when you say Luogo has asked to be traded "multiple times". The only direct quote I've read is this "time to move on" bit and the comment immediately after last season's end, that he would waive his NTC if asked.

If there truly are "many other quotes" as you say, then please post them.

Not sure if it's already been discussed, but I get a strong sense a new CBA could mean more teams interested in Lus services.

I'm far from a CBA expert, but a decreased salary cap will mean owners are getting a bigger piece of revenues (more $$ at their disposal). They might not be able to afford Lu now, but can after a new CBA. Other teams might be able to buy out inefficient contracts (amnesty clause) and make room for him. Some $$ losing and break-even teams pre-lockout (04/05) used the new CBA to be more competitive by spending more $$. I can see some teams doing this after a new CBA.

Here's a couple good reads:

Part 1

Part 2

Archived