Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2402 replies to this topic

#271 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

VAN
Tavares

NYI
Luongo
Ballard
2nd

You're funny.

Honestly guys, you think Luongo would waive his NTC to go to the Isles? Really?

#272 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:15 PM

You're funny.

Better than Columbus I bet. If the Canucks say sign Doan and Lu isnt agreeable on any deals and the Canucks want to be done with it and send him to the minors the worst place team (Columbus) can pick him up.

#273 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,255 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

Better than Columbus I bet. If the Canucks say sign Doan and Lu isnt agreeable on any deals and the Canucks want to be done with it and send him to the minors the worst place team (Columbus) can pick him up.

honestly I was thinking about this today. I think we have doan in our pocket... but gillis doesn't want to sign him yet. think about it. if we take any more cap right now that means we 100% have to trade lu, which would drop his value. once doan signs somewhere Lu will be traded immediately. if doan signs with us before Lu is traded we get pucks for him. please don't rip me apart for this post.

Edited by TruCanuck, 29 July 2012 - 07:48 PM.

Posted Image

#freetorts

-Credit to blueberries-

#274 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:48 PM

honestly I was thinking about this today. I think we have doan in our pocket... but gillis doesn't want to sign him yet. think about it. if we take any more cap right now that means we 100% have to trade lu, which would drop his value. once doan signs somewhere Lu will be traded immediately. if down signs with us before Lu is traded we get pucks for him. please don't rip me apart for this post.

Why not rip you apart? It was a crapty post. "gillis doesnt want to sign doan right now" Seriously?? How much have you had to drink? The millisecond doan says "hey GMMG, Im gonna sign with you" GMMG will say to himself "frack YEAH *Happy dance*"

And as previously stated, all of this talk about luongo being a hard trade, or fetching us a bag of pucks, or a single mid grade prospect is complete and utter horse crap drummed up by idiots and the media, who aren't always separate entities. Luongo is very conservatively speaking in the top 10 of the WORLDS goaltenders, personally I rank him closer to top 3, I didnt watch hockey until the late 90's so im talking active roster players only atm.

A lot of teams may not NEED luongo's services, but you can be DAMN sure that almost all of them WANT his services. But it comes down to, is it worth getting rid of my pretty good goalie and a bunch of stuff from my roster for a mediocre upgrade.

Then you have the teams that have elite goalies already, and have no use for lu.

Then you have the teams that want lu but cant afford him in assets or monetarily.

The point is though, that LU is VERY desireable, it may take a few months but he WILL fetch us a superstar or a future superstar and anyone that thinks were going to trade him for nothing is ???? drunk.

Edited by G-52, 29 July 2012 - 07:51 PM.

Posted Image

#275 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,255 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:50 PM

double post

Edited by TruCanuck, 29 July 2012 - 07:54 PM.

Posted Image

#freetorts

-Credit to blueberries-

#276 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,255 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

Why not rip you apart? It was a crapty post. "gillis doesnt want to sign doan right now" Seriously?? How much have you had to drink? The millisecond doan says "hey GMMG, Im gonna sign with you" GMMG will say to himself "frack YEAH *Happy dance*"

And as previously stated, all of this talk about luongo being a hard trade, or fetching us a bag of pucks, or a single mid grade prospect is complete and utter horse crap drummed up by idiots and the media, who aren't always separate entities. Luongo is very conservatively speaking in the top 10 of the WORLDS goaltenders, personally I rank him closer to top 3, I didnt watch hockey until the late 90's so im talking active roster players only atm.

A lot of teams may not NEED luongo's services, but you can be DAMN sure that almost all of them WANT his services. But it comes down to, is it worth getting rid of my pretty good goalie and a bunch of stuff from my roster for a mediocre upgrade.

Then you have the teams that have elite goalies already, and have no use for lu.

Then you have the teams that want lu but cant afford him in assets or monetarily.

The point is though, that LU is VERY desireable, and he WILL fetch us a superstar or future superstars and anyone that thinks were going to trade him for nothing is ???? drunk.

hear me out. Lu is valuable. very valuable. there is only give or six elite goalies in the NHL and he's one. but if we sign doan before some cap is traded or dumped that means we absolutely have to trade him and gives the advantage to the other team in the trade right? I'm not saying Lu is worthless not at all, but we can't start the season 3 mill above the cap now can we.

Posted Image

#freetorts

-Credit to blueberries-

#277 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:01 PM

Columbus, Isles, it doesn't matter. He won't waive his NTC for any of those teams. Pitching proposals for these teams is a waste of time.

#278 grimmjow

grimmjow

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:03 PM

hear me out. Lu is valuable. very valuable. there is only give or six elite goalies in the NHL and he's one. but if we sign doan before some cap is traded or dumped that means we absolutely have to trade him and gives the advantage to the other team in the trade right? I'm not saying Lu is worthless not at all, but we can't start the season 3 mill above the cap now can we.

A much more logical move to clear up cap space would be to either buy out Ballard's contract or simply keep him in the minors for this season so his cap hit doesn't count against us. Luongo's $$$ isn't the only expendable contract we have going into next season.
Mike Gillis - He came, he saw, he conquered...
I told you all to be patient but many just had to complain - now you revere him beyond all!!

#279 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

A much more logical move to clear up cap space would be to either buy out Ballard's contract or simply keep him in the minors for this season so his cap hit doesn't count against us. Luongo's $$$ isn't the only expendable contract we have going into next season.

Once they are sent down there is no bringing them back, so there is no 1 season fix. Ballard can at least play and would not be near the drama if he was kept over Lu. This saga must end with Lu being traded or gone somehow.

#280 GBOY

GBOY

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:30 PM

Buying out contracts is a horrible idea.

#281 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:51 PM

I understand what your saying, but what you need to understand is that what your saying is stupid.

Posted Image

#282 AndyBernard

AndyBernard

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:59 PM

Just trade luongo. Get the similar under par package columbus got for nash and be done with it. We need to move on and Gillis needs to frigging complete this team. Im sick of the revolving door 4th line and the huge question mark hole we have been missing on that 2nd line. But the luongo trade is holding up all of that!
Posted Image
credit - VintageCanuck

#283 Burr's bandwagon

Burr's bandwagon

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:46 PM

Just trade luongo. Get the similar under par package columbus got for nash and be done with it. We need to move on and Gillis needs to frigging complete this team. Im sick of the revolving door 4th line and the huge question mark hole we have been missing on that 2nd line. But the luongo trade is holding up all of that!

Luongo isn't holding all that up, his trade will hopefully be the solution to those question marks. I have trust in Gillis, I think he will get a decent return (as he should). Lou is still one of the most elite players in the game.

But I agree, the anticipation is killing me. The sooner we get Lou's trade done the sooner we re-sign players like Lack and get our team ready for this up coming year. If we don't have this trade done before training camp, I think thats a big mistake.
webkit-fake-url://E0525C6D-59C8-4266-8890-6962F34EFBA6/application.pdf
-The Future

#284 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:58 PM

I would love to get Strome.

To NYI:
Roberto Luongo
Mason Raymond
Van 2013 3rd round pick

To Van:
Ryan Strome
NYI 2013 1st round pick

Canucks get a top prospect for to build around after the Sedins are older, and a mid-high 1st round pick.

Gillis' phone goes dead halfway through Snow proposing this trade.

Posted Image

#285 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:00 AM

honestly I was thinking about this today. I think we have doan in our pocket... but gillis doesn't want to sign him yet. think about it. if we take any more cap right now that means we 100% have to trade lu, which would drop his value. once doan signs somewhere Lu will be traded immediately. if doan signs with us before Lu is traded we get pucks for him. please don't rip me apart for this post.

Actually, trading Ballard and Alberts renders around the same cap space as trading Luongo.

Posted Image

#286 Kassassinate

Kassassinate

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:19 AM

I'm really anxious to see how this team can perform with cory as the starter and no lu around, can't wait for camp!

#287 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,892 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:06 AM

Gillis' phone goes dead halfway through Snow proposing this trade.

So is that the same scenario on Snow's end when he hear's Luongo, Ballard and a 2nd offered for Tavares?

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#288 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,987 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:22 AM

I can't believe some of you guys actually think any of these retarded, outlandish proposals are even worth posting.

Tavares, really?

ffs

RIP LB RR PD

#289 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,008 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:14 AM

Columbus, Isles, it doesn't matter. He won't waive his NTC for any of those teams. Pitching proposals for these teams is a waste of time.

I suppose it would come down to how badly he wants out of Vancouver.

Hypothetically speaking, if Florida, Tampa and Toronto continue to low-ball Gillis, he's likely to start the season with both goaltenders in the fold. At this point Luongo needs to decide if he's content being the backup, or wants to be the starter in a different city.

Bear in mind, virtually any other city besides Miami or T-Bay, he's going to have to get on a plane for a few hours in order to go visit the family. As long as he's in the Eastern time zone, what difference is there really between Toronto, New Jersey or Long Island?

I suppose he might want to play for a contender, but if that's the case, why the reports about Toronto? Luongo makes them a playoff contender, not a Cup contender. (It also should be noted that Toronto finished ahead of the Islanders by one point)

Is Luongo to the Isles a likely scenario? No. But I also wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, especially when all any of us are doing to this point is speculating.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#290 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:32 AM

The point is though, that LU is VERY desireable, it may take a few months but he WILL fetch us a superstar or a future superstar and anyone that thinks were going to trade him for nothing is ???? drunk.

what you perceive Lu to be worth (fair or not) and what MG gets for Lu in a straight up trade might not materialize.

example:

not comparing Nash to Lu as they are different players, (obviously), but most people would say Nash is worth more than the players he was traded for.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#291 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:32 AM

These proposals are hilarious. Tavares? Didn't he just sign a long term deal with the Islanders? I'm sure they want to move him. He would probably be the best player on the Canucks before too long.

You think Gillis wouldn't jump on a trade for Strome and a first from the Islanders? No way he gets that kind of value for Luongo. For the manyieth time, there is very little market for Luongo. Never has been. If the market was there he would have been traded by now.

It's been three and a half months since Luongo lost his starting job and mentioned he would be willing to move on. The draft and free agency happened a month ago. There has been lots of player movement and it is essentially over now. A few UFA's remain but other than Doan there isn't much out there. Nothing is happening. The window for a trade for Luongo has passed for now. If there was an offer out there he would have been moved. Having both goalies to start the season is just asking for trouble.

So many on here are saying Luongo is elite, top ten, top six, top three, but that doesn't change the fact that he is going into the season as a backup. He LOST his job. Elite goalies don't often lose their jobs to unproven backups no matter how good that backup may be.

And I can tell you that outside of Vancouver (heck even in Vancouver) Luongo is not the most popular player among fans.

#292 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:38 AM

My prediction/hope:

Luongo + Connauton for Campbell

Followed shortly by

Ballard to Detroit for a 3rd

Doan signs in Van

Helps all three teams, Florida improves their chances of making the playoffs while saving cash & getting a good prospect. Vancouver trades future potential for current skills. Detroit gets good upside on a player who could use a change of scenery. All three GMs go out for a fishing trip and laugh at Phoenix.

#293 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:02 AM

My prediction/hope:

Followed shortly by

Doan signs in Van

Helps all three teams, Florida improves their chances of making the playoffs while saving cash & getting a good prospect. Vancouver trades future potential for current skills. Detroit gets good upside on a player who could use a change of scenery. All three GMs go out for a fishing trip and laugh at Phoenix.

So, who slots into Ballards spot?

Alberts? Sauve?

#294 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:20 AM

So, who slots into Ballards spot?

Alberts? Sauve?

To replace Ballard, I think there are lots of eligible Canucks players to watch the game from the pressbox.

As for the on-ice players:

Bieksa Hammer Campbell Garrison Edler

Are the top 5 for sure, then either Tanev makes the jump to the top 6, or we have Alberts to slot in if we need more experience.

Edited by JLumme, 30 July 2012 - 08:21 AM.

#295 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,847 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:47 AM

Kesler on LTIR.

If Kesler ACTUALLY is healthy? Waive Raymond or trade Ballard etc. We have TONS of options. How about you just let Gilman worry about it mmmkay?

Edited by J.R., 30 July 2012 - 09:47 AM.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#296 Canucks fan in chicago

Canucks fan in chicago

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:45 AM

Luongo won't be traded before the trade deadline. Quote me on it.

#297 Tom Sestito

Tom Sestito

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,774 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:15 AM

Luongo won't be traded before the trade deadline. Quote me on it.

I agree. Quote US on it.

If all goes well, he wins back his starting job and trades schneider for the huge value he would bring in.

I love both goalies to bits. We shall see how it goes.
Posted Image
Thank you VC!

#298 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:28 AM

I agree. Quote US on it.

If all goes well, he wins back his starting job and trades schneider for the huge value he would bring in.

I love both goalies to bits. We shall see how it goes.

THIS IS NOT AN OPTION, LUONGO WANTS TO "MOVE ON"

M-O-V-E second word O-N

That means he does not want to play for the Vancouver Canucks anymore

It may have nothing to do with the starting situation. We dont know!! But what we do know is he wants to MOVE ON!!!

My God can you ever notice a difference in posts when the kids are on summer holidays!!

Go explore your body or something!!
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#299 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:49 AM

THIS IS NOT AN OPTION, LUONGO WANTS TO "MOVE ON"

M-O-V-E second word O-N

That means he does not want to play for the Vancouver Canucks anymore

It may have nothing to do with the starting situation. We dont know!! But what we do know is he wants to MOVE ON!!!

My God can you ever notice a difference in posts when the kids are on summer holidays!!

Go explore your body or something!!

If Lu is being extremely picky with his NTC (which it looks like he is) then there is a big chance he will be back in Van.

#300 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,254 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:51 AM

My prediction/hope:

Followed shortly by

Doan signs in Van

Tallon had to convince Campbell to come to Florida.

He is then just gonna trade him a year later?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.