Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2402 replies to this topic

#331 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

Something to ponder...If luongo was a UFA this summer what type of contract would he have gotten? I would say easily a 7 or 8 year deal with a 6M cap hit.

Pretty much and that might be conservative numbers.

The worst Thing the Canucks can do is trade Luongo. The second worst thing they can do is put all their eggs in unproven "#1" Schneider's basket.

The best thing they can do is keep them both until the trade deadline and MAYBE trade the worst one of the two, who ought to be better than 2/3 of the league's starters with 1/3 possibly begging for better goaltending or the playoffs.

Teams that are barely making the playoffs who are presented with either Luongo or Schneider as trade possibilities will then empty their cupboards for either of them.

Patience is virtue.

Edited by GHL, 31 July 2012 - 12:50 PM.

Posted Image

#332 mpt

mpt

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,529 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

Something to ponder...If luongo was a UFA this summer what type of contract would he have gotten? I would say easily a 7 or 8 year deal with a 6M cap hit.

I can't disagree at all, his cap hit may even be as high as 6.5. His contract would of likely expired between 38 and 40.

#333 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,581 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:55 PM

MG is playing this right, in my opinion. His #1 concern is the team and it's future. With this in mind, there is no way he can allow himself to be low balled or bullied into accepting a deal that does not give us fair value in return.

I believe, as does MG obviously, that Lou is an elite goalie. Yes he is getting older and his contract is big, but that's what elites in todays NHL are going to get. As of right now and for a few years to come, Lou is good enough to get any team to the playoffs on his own. Once there, it is up to the rest of the team to provide the appropriate support to succeed and that's up to the GM to provide but their problem won't be in goal.

This being the case, I think Lou has more value than what's being offered and I feel the longer MG waits the more lucrative the offers are going to get. Every year there are goalies who were once great but struggle for a season or two. I would put Hiller, Reimer, Miller and Bryzgalov in this category. Other teams like Chicago, NYI, Florida and Colorado don't really have a clear #1 and, with struggles, may want a definate upgrade in net.

My point is, that, as I stated earlier, patience is the key to us getting pieces we need and not just throw aways from another team. I understand the miscontent and impatience with the fans; It is somewhat anticlimactic to sit and wait for something big to happen, but the fact is MG must wait for the right conditions to get the deal he wants and I'm with him on that.

False.
Firstly, I would like to know what the Luongo fans think the definition of "elite" is? According to the dictionary, that aint Luo, not anymore anyways.
Secondly, Luongo is NOT good enough to carry a team into the playoffs on his own. He couldn't do it with Florida even once, he had a pre-meltdown in 2008 and we missed the playoffs. He arguably did it on his own in 2007 when he was in his prime.
Thirdly, you mention that Luongo can do it all alone until the playoffs and then it's up to the rest of the team to "provide the appropriate support to succeed"? In many cases in his career that would include the team needing to score 5-9 goals per game, in the playoffs no less. Good luck with that. You basically summed up what I say about Luongo all the time, he can be great during the season but come the playoffs and the team needs to become a scoring machine.
We are not going to get anyone fantastic in return for Luongo. Let's accept a 2nd rounder or a 1st if we are damn lucky, then enjoy the cap relief.

#334 cdubuya

cdubuya

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

What is wrong with people? The mods listened to the cries for two separate threads yet people still pollute the news thread with drivel.
Posted Image

#335 Not A Fruit

Not A Fruit

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:34 PM

POPULAR

All I am asking Gillis to do is to land Doan and Bjustad, if so then CDC will be happy :D
Posted Image
Special Thanks to Twilight Sparkle ^

#336 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:41 PM

What is wrong with people? The mods listened to the cries for two separate threads yet people still pollute the news thread with drivel.

This is the discussion thread.

Posted Image

#337 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:43 PM

False.
Firstly, I would like to know what the Luongo fans think the definition of "elite" is? According to the dictionary, that aint Luo, not anymore anyways.
Secondly, Luongo is NOT good enough to carry a team into the playoffs on his own. He couldn't do it with Florida even once, he had a pre-meltdown in 2008 and we missed the playoffs. He arguably did it on his own in 2007 when he was in his prime.
Thirdly, you mention that Luongo can do it all alone until the playoffs and then it's up to the rest of the team to "provide the appropriate support to succeed"? In many cases in his career that would include the team needing to score 5-9 goals per game, in the playoffs no less. Good luck with that. You basically summed up what I say about Luongo all the time, he can be great during the season but come the playoffs and the team needs to become a scoring machine.
We are not going to get anyone fantastic in return for Luongo. Let's accept a 2nd rounder or a 1st if we are damn lucky, then enjoy the cap relief.

You know, punching a few Bruins would have gone a long way. You know, punching a few Kings would have gone a long way. You know, being tougher in front of our ELITE goalie would go a long way.

Kassian MUST. be unleashed.

Edited by GHL, 31 July 2012 - 03:12 PM.

Posted Image

#338 Gally

Gally

KJ's Butler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

What do you guys think of this trade:

To Vancouver: Matthias Bjugstad

To Florida: Luongo Schroeder (maybe a pick)

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

my mom wouldn't let me touch the laptop because I have to stand after I eat....kinda stupid

#339 Niklas Jensen

Niklas Jensen

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:56 PM

damn it,

Lu straight up for Gudbranson
Our D's must make opponent fowards going to the net PAY THE PRICE

#340 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,346 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:24 PM

damn it,

Lu straight up for Gudbranson

You have the biggest boner for Gudbranson I have ever seen.

'Package Luongo for Gudbranson'

'Luongo straight up for Gudbranson'

And the list goes on.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#341 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:38 PM

False.

What is your definition of elite. When would you say Roberto lost his 'elite' status? I take it prior to this last season you deemed Lundqvist an elite goalie. Statistically speaking however, he was no better than Luongo, including the playoffs, and had even less success in the playoffs than Roberto. Same goes for Howard, Quick, Rinne, and Miller. Simply speaking from a statistical point of view, ALL of their career numbers are nearly equal or lesser to that of Luongo. So I don't see how people can deem Luongo not elite yet deem these other goalies elite when the numbers don't support it. The only legitimate argument people can even make against Luongo not being elite is his inconsistency in the playoffs. EVEN WITH that inconsistency prior to the last season, Luongo had a career 2.50 and .917. Not too shabby at all. I keep referring 'prior to last season' for the sake of argument because Lundqvist and Quick were no better than Luongo but given their success this season, I would probably say that they are.

But people can't just at the numbers all the time and come to a conclusion. If team A was on the PK 8 times during a game and allowed several odd man rushes and team B tallied four or five goals in that span of the game, most people are simply going to look at the box score and go 'gee, nice goaltending'. But see, that would be unfair to the goalie of team A. My point being you can't just look at the numbers all the time. Even with Luongo's inconsistency in the playoffs, the defence as a whole is to blame for many of these goals. People need to actually analyze and break down plays and understand why the opposition scored. But most people don't have the time to do this or are too stupid to do this and instead simply resort to blaming Luongo. And lets be perfectly honest, he is getting NO help from OUR offence for the last two series against the Kings and Bruins.

As much as people want to ride Luongo's ass for his performance, the Canucks 1.17 goals combined over the last two series is going to get you absolutely no where. As much as he is to blame, the team in front is defending poorly at times and providing almost zero offence. It doesn't matter if Luongo allows five goals or two. The offence isn't there in support anyway.

Edited by Tortorella's Rant, 31 July 2012 - 02:39 PM.

Posted Image

#342 cdubuya

cdubuya

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:01 PM

This is the discussion thread.

I'm aware of this. I didnt post in the news so as to not be a hypocrite. Ive seen at least 5 or 6 members who've posted junk in that thread though. It's just annoying when the mods actually listen to the good ideas thrown out, and they have to put up with reetards who feel above the rules.
Posted Image

#343 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:10 PM

What do you guys think of this trade:

To Vancouver: Matthias Bjugstad

To Florida: Luongo Schroeder (maybe a pick)

I think it is heavily lopsided on Florida's side. They receive a franchise goalie AND a high energy center AND maybe a pick and give up a draft who won't be playing in the NHL any time soon.

You're giving up the next five years of assured success for a kid who might never make it, who might even be the next Shawn Antoski.

People must understand that Bjugstad not being made available by the Panthers is not the same as Bjugstad being worth more than Luongo and frankly, such a trade makes the Canucks the laughing stock of the league and makes Tallon GM of the year.

That's what I think of this ridiculous trade.

It is in fact sickening. How can one even justify such a trade?

If status quo holds and Tallon doesn't budge, Luongo won't be a Panther. In fact, I believe he has a greater chance to be a Lightning than a Panther.

Edited by GHL, 31 July 2012 - 03:15 PM.

Posted Image

#344 Canucklehead420

Canucklehead420

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

False.

I don't recall at any time during the cup run this team was a scoring machine. Lu kept them in every game and almost won the con smythe. winning 1-0 and 2-1 is your definition of a scoring machine? hardly. he was posting 40-50 saves almost on a nightly basis.

#345 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

who the hell is this bjustad kid

oh

wait

Edited by pwnstar, 31 July 2012 - 04:12 PM.

Posted Image

#346 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,197 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:12 PM

Highly-touted Panthers prospect Bjugstad not most pressing Canucks need

#347 TmanVan

TmanVan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:43 PM

Highly-touted Panthers prospect Bjugstad not most pressing Canucks need

Yeah you're right. Someone like Stephen Weiss fills a void that we have NOW. Because NOW to Canuck fans is the only awnser :frantic:

Screw the kid with 1st line superstar potential right? Why would we need him for the next 5-10 years, obviously give us the 30 year old unersized highly average 2nd liner that will push us over the top instead!!

#348 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,197 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

Yeah you're right. Someone like Stephen Weiss fills a void that we have NOW. Because NOW to Canuck fans is the only awnser :frantic:

Screw the kid with 1st line superstar potential right? Why would we need him for the next 5-10 years, obviously give us the 30 year old unersized highly average 2nd liner that will push us over the top instead!!

It's a link, I didn't write the article :) On a sidenote, I'm not a Weiss fan. Would wayyyyy rather have Bjugstad.

#349 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

Yeah, Bjustad is obviously the more preferable choice. Weiss would fill a need, but I'm sure that need can be filled another way.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#350 TmanVan

TmanVan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

It's a link, I didn't write the article :) On a sidenote, I'm not a Weiss fan. Would wayyyyy rather have Bjugstad.

Woops! Thought you just liked to write in blue, didn't bother checking if it was a link. Haha and yeah, Weiss was just an example.

The article says Bjugstad is not the answer, but then later on goes to say we need to get younger, deeper, and someone who can center the third line. How does Bjugstad not fit that role? Even if he does play another full year in college that doesn't effect the Canucks. He could pull a Chris Krieder and join the team for the playoffs.

As has been discussed before, Kesler will not be out that long, and Lapierre and Malhotra are more than capable stepping up in a temporary role, along with Jordan Schroeder trying to make his claim. The Canucks have no need to be chasing another presidents trophy and I hope they don't settle for less in a trade just to fill a short term need. If Huberdeau and Gudbranson are off the table, than Bjugstad or bust, and hope that Tallon caves.

#351 Aestheticon67

Aestheticon67

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

if Luongo really wants to help the organization he'll shut his mouth and prepare for another season as a canuck, until MG finds the right deal, otherwise he screws us. He has to be totally compliant, because of the situation he put us in, otherwise he is to blame if we don't receive equal return. what a tool, I hope MG gets rid of him and we get someone solid
Daniel Sedin when not playing for his national team, passes it up to Pavol Demitra gathering speed through the neutral zone to battle in deep, a quick centering feed to Henrik Sedin as he dazzles the D and slides it under Patrick Lalime. Dany Sabourin stones Sami Kapanen who tried the wraparound but was denied by the paddle down. Sidney Crosby was taught how to win at hockey by Ziggy Palffy.

#352 TmanVan

TmanVan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:23 PM

If Bjugstad is truely untouchable I wouldn't mind picking up the phone with Brian Burke again. Joe Colborne would be a pretty damn good consolation prize (with other pieces included). If Luongo is willing to go there of course.

#353 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:37 PM

Its all about now , Your just giving best case scenario , The kid could be a bust or even pull a Shultz and hold out to become a UFA or just end up being a bottom 6 player ,Our top players are peaking out right now and this is the time to try make a serious run at the cup and we have needs that could be addressed with proven talent
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#354 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,197 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:37 PM

Woops! Thought you just liked to write in blue, didn't bother checking if it was a link. Haha and yeah, Weiss was just an example.

The article says Bjugstad is not the answer, but then later on goes to say we need to get younger, deeper, and someone who can center the third line. How does Bjugstad not fit that role? Even if he does play another full year in college that doesn't effect the Canucks. He could pull a Chris Krieder and join the team for the playoffs.

As has been discussed before, Kesler will not be out that long, and Lapierre and Malhotra are more than capable stepping up in a temporary role, along with Jordan Schroeder trying to make his claim. The Canucks have no need to be chasing another presidents trophy and I hope they don't settle for less in a trade just to fill a short term need. If Huberdeau and Gudbranson are off the table, than Bjugstad or bust, and hope that Tallon caves.

Ya, I think the article was referring to Bjugstad going to college this yr so he wouldn't be w/ the Nucks. I agree, Lappy is more than capable of playing the shutdown centre - he did it en route to the SCF.

I think the concern is who replaces Kesler for beginning of season. He's also been injured in the last 4 straight yrs(?), somebody who could step in his role when he's injured again next playoffs would be nice. Schroeder has never played an NHL game, he's also tiny. In a sample size of roughly 180 players (top 6 players in NHL), maybe 8 of them are 5'9 or smaller. He's in a 4% category of being able to be a legitimate top 6er. Add to that he's never played an NHL game, it's too risky assuming he could fill that role while Keslers gone IMO. If Huberdeau and Bjugstad are off the table (which I don't believe they are), then Gillis better look elsewhere. He needs to get a young centre out of this trade, plus other pieces/picks.

Edited by RunningWild, 31 July 2012 - 06:39 PM.

#355 hockeyfan90

hockeyfan90

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

Rumour_Express@InsiderLegit

Hearing Canucks offering a trade with Florida that would send Raymond, Schroeder, Luongo and a pick for Bjugstad and Matthias.

Rumour_Express@InsiderLegit
Florida is still only offering Matthias and a 1st, but instead of a 1st the Canucks want Bjugstad. Talks between the two clubs heating up

#356 RonnieColeman

RonnieColeman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

Rumour_Express ‏@InsiderLegit

Hearing Canucks offering a trade with Florida that would send Raymond, Schroeder, Luongo and a pick for Bjugstad and Matthias.

Rumour_Express ‏@InsiderLegit
Florida is still only offering Matthias and a 1st, but instead of a 1st the Canucks want Bjugstad. Talks between the two clubs heating up

Wow if gillis can pull off the matthias and Bjugstad trade id drop my jaw, two really big young centers that can bring physicality, Bjugstad Matthias and Gaunce down the center in the future......and he gets rid of may ray

Edited by RonnieColeman, 31 July 2012 - 06:47 PM.

#357 Hank Moody

Hank Moody

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,526 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:04 PM

Matthias alone would be a fantastic pickup, add in Bjugstad and that deal is an absolute steal.

We get rid of Raymond and Schroeder, two smaller guys, give up Luongo and a pick and get back 2 absolute studs who can skate and play with the puck. That would fill our need for size and skill in the future, take some pressure off Kassian to be the "goon" perse, and give us some room to acquire some smaller talent for speed/skill purposes without worrying about the whole "bullied around" concept

Posted Image
Formerly Hockeyfans101/Lapierre's Gawk

Thank you for the badass sig, Insom-

#358 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

Wow if gillis can pull off the matthias and Bjugstad trade id drop my jaw, two really big young centers that can bring physicality, Bjugstad Matthias and Gaunce down the center in the future......and he gets rid of may ray

I hope trading raymond after using him to get garrison doesnt piss garrison off lol... But Id do lu may ray and schroeder + 1st for matthias and bjugstad any day..

Edited by G-52, 31 July 2012 - 07:07 PM.

Posted Image

#359 Karlsson`s Flo

Karlsson`s Flo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:32 PM

Matthias and Bjugstad would be awesome however I don't know if Florida wants to lose all that size up the middle. Weiss, Huberdeau, Schroeder- theyre all shifty playmakers that will need big power forwards beside them to give them enough space to work.

#360 shadowscyne

shadowscyne

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:43 PM

60pt players like weiss dont grow on trees bjugstad is unproven . id take the consistentcy rather than a unknown even though he looks like a superstar
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.