The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

LOL thats just not right you think luo will be waiver bait.He always starts slow then kicks it into high gear and ever team knows this.He is an elite goalie just getting older and wants out of here.As contacts are going his is decent and the only thing wrong is how long it is but he can retire before it ends!Just so happens we have a better goaltender that has taken the starting job away from Luo but that doesnt mean he is worthless.

He's been top 5 every season but last, pretty much. Depends on what stat you rank highest, and I'm sure you'll focus on the numbers that back your claim. Stats don't tell the whole story, but they tell a favorable one for Lu. The GM's are playing chicken right now.

well i personally think Van can do allot better for a return on Lou than a risky 'elite' prospect. To me, being as he has not yet played 1 pro game, he is not elite until he does and then proves he is worthy of the title.

I think Van should focus on getting more depth and skill in their defensive lines in return for Lou rather than more on the forward lines, the forward lines have the skill and depth already.

well i personally think Van can do allot better for a return on Lou than a risky 'elite' prospect. To me, being as he has not yet played 1 pro game, he is not elite until he does and then proves he is worthy of the title.

I think Van should focus on getting more depth and skill in their defensive lines in return for Lou rather than more on the forward lines, the forward lines have the skill and depth already.

He's been top 5 every season but last, pretty much. Depends on what stat you rank highest, and I'm sure you'll focus on the numbers that back your claim. Stats don't tell the whole story, but they tell a favorable one for Lu. The GM's are playing chicken right now.

MG is playing this right, in my opinion. His #1 concern is the team and it's future. With this in mind, there is no way he can allow himself to be low balled or bullied into accepting a deal that does not give us fair value in return.

I believe, as does MG obviously, that Lou is an elite goalie. Yes he is getting older and his contract is big, but that's what elites in todays NHL are going to get. As of right now and for a few years to come, Lou is good enough to get any team to the playoffs on his own. Once there, it is up to the rest of the team to provide the appropriate support to succeed and that's up to the GM to provide but their problem won't be in goal.

This being the case, I think Lou has more value than what's being offered and I feel the longer MG waits the more lucrative the offers are going to get. Every year there are goalies who were once great but struggle for a season or two. I would put Hiller, Reimer, Miller and Bryzgalov in this category. Other teams like Chicago, NYI, Florida and Colorado don't really have a clear #1 and, with struggles, may want a definate upgrade in net.

My point is, that, as I stated earlier, patience is the key to us getting pieces we need and not just throw aways from another team. I understand the miscontent and impatience with the fans; It is somewhat anticlimactic to sit and wait for something big to happen, but the fact is MG must wait for the right conditions to get the deal he wants and I'm with him on that.

MG is playing this right, in my opinion. His #1 concern is the team and it's future. With this in mind, there is no way he can allow himself to be low balled or bullied into accepting a deal that does not give us fair value in return.

I believe, as does MG obviously, that Lou is an elite goalie. Yes he is getting older and his contract is big, but that's what elites in todays NHL are going to get. As of right now and for a few years to come, Lou is good enough to get any team to the playoffs on his own. Once there, it is up to the rest of the team to provide the appropriate support to succeed and that's up to the GM to provide but their problem won't be in goal.

This being the case, I think Lou has more value than what's being offered and I feel the longer MG waits the more lucrative the offers are going to get. Every year there are goalies who were once great but struggle for a season or two. I would put Hiller, Reimer, Miller and Bryzgalov in this category. Other teams like Chicago, NYI, Florida and Colorado don't really have a clear #1 and, with struggles, may want a definate upgrade in net.

My point is, that, as I stated earlier, patience is the key to us getting pieces we need and not just throw aways from another team. I understand the miscontent and impatience with the fans; It is somewhat anticlimactic to sit and wait for something big to happen, but the fact is MG must wait for the right conditions to get the deal he wants and I'm with him on that.

False.

Firstly, I would like to know what the Luongo fans think the definition of "elite" is? According to the dictionary, that aint Luo, not anymore anyways.

Secondly, Luongo is NOT good enough to carry a team into the playoffs on his own. He couldn't do it with Florida even once, he had a pre-meltdown in 2008 and we missed the playoffs. He arguably did it on his own in 2007 when he was in his prime.

Thirdly, you mention that Luongo can do it all alone until the playoffs and then it's up to the rest of the team to "provide the appropriate support to succeed"? In many cases in his career that would include the team needing to score 5-9 goals per game, in the playoffs no less. Good luck with that. You basically summed up what I say about Luongo all the time, he can be great during the season but come the playoffs and the team needs to become a scoring machine.

We are not going to get anyone fantastic in return for Luongo. Let's accept a 2nd rounder or a 1st if we are damn lucky, then enjoy the cap relief.

Archived