Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2402 replies to this topic

#481 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:49 AM

Last I checked, FLA made the playoffs because they're the best team in the weakest NHL division.

I don't see their lineup laced with superstars and if their farm were better than their current roster, why aren't they playing in the hogs already.

I call bullsh!t on all accounts. Huberdeau MIGHT... be the only legitimate future superstar. The rest, including gofer Bjugstad, are barely "stars".

And they want Edler to boot.

FLA
Luongo
Edler
Schroeder

VAN
Campbell
Versteeg
Huberdeau
Bjugstad
Gudbranson

This is a two year President trophy winning team dealing with a Southern Division de facto playoff team.

The Detroit model is very Capitalist: the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Florida must pay up for what they want: a franchise goaltender, a franchise defenseman (compared to Lidstrom on numerous occasions) and an energy center.

Edited by GHL, 03 August 2012 - 09:55 AM.

Posted Image

#482 arsenalian

arsenalian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:01 AM

If we trade Schroeder, who fills in for Kesler until December? Higgins, Malholtra? Either Gillis has a unkown plan or he doesn't iclude t Schroeder in the trade.

Arnott if reports are to be believed

#483 coastal1

coastal1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:03 AM

Last I checked, FLA made the playoffs because they're the best team in the weakest NHL division.

I don't see their lineup laced with superstars and if their farm were better than their current roster, why aren't they playing in the hogs already.

I call bullsh!t on all accounts. Huberdeau MIGHT... be the only legitimate future superstar. The rest, including gofer Bjugstad, are barely "stars".

FLA
Luongo
Edler
Schroeder

VAN
Campbell
Versteeg
Huberdeau
Bjugstad
Gudbranson

This is a two year President trophy winning team dealing with a Southern Division de facto playoff team.

The Detroit model is very Capitalist: the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Florida must pay up for what they want: a franchise goaltender, a franchise defenseman (compared to Lidstrom on numerous occasions) and an energy center.

Well, isn't just also very well known that the canucks have won the president's trophy two years in a row because they play in the weakest division in the NHL (even FL's division had 2 teams in the playoffs this year- and for goodness sake, 3 years in a row first overall pick Edmonton!). I think the canucks need to get rid of Luongo more than FL needs him. I mean the canucks chose a goalie with a grand total of 68 nhl games (plus 3 playoffs) experience over Luongo, that right there tells the world what the team that knows him best thinks of his fututre performance.

#484 arsenalian

arsenalian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:18 AM

Anyone know if this guy is legit? My buddy keeps sending me texts and re-tweets from him

https://twitter.com/JamesBNHLNews

1h James Brown@JamesBNHLNews
BREAKING NEWS BREAKING NEWS. Canucks and Florida have a verbal agreement on a trade and will pull the trigger on the deal once they know Where Doan will sign. Canucks will also include Raymond in this deal and will shed a lot of cap. The deal may not go through if Doan does not sign. The deal could happen right before Doan signs if Doan signs with VAN Or right after. Bjugstad will be involved and you heard it here first.

Edit: pasted the tweets together in order for easier reading

Edited by arsenalian, 03 August 2012 - 10:24 AM.

#485 Biasbieksa

Biasbieksa

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:26 AM

The luongo deal would be done first and soon, if we had a good chance at Doan. But cant believe a random source like that.

#486 arsenalian

arsenalian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:37 AM

The luongo deal would be done first and soon, if we had a good chance at Doan. But cant believe a random source like that.

Yeah, and I just notice he only just started tweeting yesterday, so sounds like a BS account :(

#487 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,423 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:43 AM

Last I checked, FLA made the playoffs because they're the best team in the weakest NHL division. br />

Not exactly true. Even if Washington had finished ahead of Florida, they were still 5 points clear of the 9th place team in the conference.

However, your pointis valid. Missing the playoffs with their current goaltending situation is a real possibility for the Panthers, especially considering the improvements made by Carolina.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#488 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:47 AM

Anyone know if this guy is legit? My buddy keeps sending me texts and re-tweets from him

BREAKING NEWS BREAKING NEWS. Canucks and Florida have a verbal agreement on a trade and will pull the trigger on the deal once they know Where Doan will sign. Canucks will also include Raymond in this deal and will shed a lot of cap. The deal may not go through if Doan does not sign. The deal could happen right before Doan signs if Doan signs with VAN Or right after. Bjugstad will be involved and you heard it here first.

Bolded part makes it seem pretty bogus to me
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#489 iinatcc

iinatcc

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:52 AM

Not surprising if true, The Doan outcome would probably answer what the Canucks will or will not need the next few seasons.

#490 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:24 AM

The major issue in my opinion is the fact that if both goaltenders show up to training camp there will be a circus of media distraction at the beginning of the season. Not a positive thing.
Posted Image

#491 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:25 AM

Now that I read the latest news my last post is probably not going to happen.

Edited by Snake Doctor, 03 August 2012 - 11:26 AM.

Posted Image

#492 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:55 AM

That tweet just seems like an educated guess. It makes a lot of sense. If I were a rumor mill I'd probably put my rep on the line with a guess like that. Once Doan lands, the rest could fall. It's also a fair guess that the deal could be pending a resolution to the new CBA negotiations.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#493 Teksys

Teksys

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:02 PM

I just want something to happen, this dry spell is killing me. We've been talking about the same possiblities for a month now. Doan should just sign somewhere so the rest of the league can make their trades.

#494 Vapourstreak

Vapourstreak

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:43 PM

Last page.

#495 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:01 PM

The major issue in my opinion is the fact that if both goaltenders show up to training camp there will be a circus of media distraction at the beginning of the season. Not a positive thing.

Whether there are one or two goaltenders at training camp is irrelevant; there will be the media circus nonetheless.

Edited by GHL, 03 August 2012 - 01:03 PM.

Posted Image

#496 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,416 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:06 PM

Whether there are one or two goaltenders at training camp is irrelevant; there will be the media circus nonetheless.

Was about to say the same thing.

Subbancopy.jpg

#497 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:07 PM

I just want something to happen, this dry spell is killing me. We've been talking about the same possiblities for a month now. Doan should just sign somewhere so the rest of the league can make their trades.

You too; call me when you want to sell your house.

Posted Image

#498 coastal1

coastal1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:28 PM

If Luongo is here after saying that it is time to move, this will be way crazier than the usual media circus- there is now way MG wants this- it will be very distracting and tough on the players. On the plus side, training camp won't be until december at the earliest (I mean the NHLPA has not even made a conterproposal yet, things are not moving like anyone wants this settled in a little over one month).

#499 RO8!!

RO8!!

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

Well, isn't just also very well known that the canucks have won the president's trophy two years in a row because they play in the weakest division in the NHL (even FL's division had 2 teams in the playoffs this year- and for goodness sake, 3 years in a row first overall pick Edmonton!). I think the canucks need to get rid of Luongo more than FL needs him. I mean the canucks chose a goalie with a grand total of 68 nhl games (plus 3 playoffs) experience over Luongo, that right there tells the world what the team that knows him best thinks of his fututre performance.

The difference is we topped the table Florida still only barely made the playoffs in one of the weakest divisions in the NHL.

"Hey this milk is bad. Maybe tomorrow it'll be better."

Canucks NYG Celtics Fan

#500 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,910 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:48 PM

It is akward.

Dude signs a deal where he got paid $10 mill, highest salary in the league 2 seasons ago, is still owed $40 odd million and he's not happy to compete with a young goalie for time. Its not a great message.

:wacko:

#501 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

It is akward.

Dude signs a deal where he got paid $10 mill, highest salary in the league 2 seasons ago, is still owed $40 odd million and he's not happy to compete with a young goalie for time. Its not a great message.

:wacko:

Or, he has heard the hometown "Booooo"s long enough and recognizes that it has turned into an intolerable situation for both him & his teammates with the incessant media poking and jarring at any and every "controversy".

9. Forget the contract. Roberto Luongo and the Vancouver Canucks should take a deep breath, wait a little while until the emotion dies down, then seriously and honestly chat about the future. Doubt he'd have complaints about the organization, but it says a lot about his stature in the city that the Canucks scored just eight goals in seven games and Luongo is receiving the most blame. My guess: He loves his teammates, but can't stand the fan base. Is that enough for him to want to stay?

10. If he wants to leave, would $30-million-under-the-floor Florida be interested? Would Luongo sell tickets and create interest in Sunrise? I'd be curious to hear from Panthers fans on this one. (Florida does have uber-prospect Jacob Markstrom.)

11. If he wants to stay, Luongo has to have a great year. I've written before Vancouver won't trade Corey Schneider unless the offer is extremely good. That goes triple now. It's not the fairest thing in the world, but, in the new CBA, owners will go after a less onerous buyout. If they get it, some of the long-term deals will be jeopardized.

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...-of-july-1.html

"My guess" can be Friedman's (or any other reporter for that matter) way of protecting what a player, or someone very close to the player, has said without using it as a direct quote.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#502 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:31 PM

Or, he has heard the hometown "Booooo"s long enough and recognizes that it has turned into an intolerable situation for both him & his teammates with the incessant media poking and jarring at any and every "controversy"

Leaving because of the fan base?

So you are suggesting Luongo is mentally weak?

Cause only a mentally weak professional would sign a 12 year contract with a team in a city he couldn't handle 2 years later because of the media and fan base.

I hope you are wrong for his sake
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#503 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:59 PM

I would be extremely disappointed if we ended up moving Hansen that way and were stuck with Raymond. Big Mike needs to hold on to Hansen.

In terms of players heading over to Florida, NO to Gaunce, NO to Hansen and NO to Edler. I don't know if there is even any merit to these rumors (Hansen probably, the other two I highly doubt) but either way - fu*k off FLA.

I can't see Gillis trading both Luongo AND Hansen to Florida, unless Florida are overpaying. Hansen is such a important player for our 3rd line.

I agree that Hansen is a critical component of our 3rd line, but what about two years from now when he's up for contract renewal and looking at a $3m salary? He will likely always be a 2nd/3rd line tweener here and I'm not sure it's smart cap management to have a $3m+ third liner. If we sign Doan for four years, and have D. Sedin, D. Booth, Burrows as well as Hansen on the wings, where does that leave Kassian & Jensen? One of them playing a 4th line role? Naw we need both Jensen & Kassian playing big 3rd line roles in a couple of years if we are to win a Cup.

Something's gotta give eventually and it's a choice between Burrows & Hansen.

Again, the Panthers don't need this trade, they will try to fill the holes they make acquiring Luongo. Hansen is awesome but sometimes to make a big splash you gotta get rid of good players

I can't see Gillis parting with Hansen in a Luongo package unless he gets one of Florida's three proven top-six forwards (Weiss, Fleischman, Versteeg) as part of a package deal with a lesser prospect (Howden) in return but that would mean no Doan in a Canuck uniform.

Who in the blue-hell is this Bjugstad guy...seriously. If we are gonna give up Luongo + Schroeder + Raymond, I think we can get Gudbranson.

He's a 6'5" 212lbs centre with a physical element to his game. Think of a potential Getzlaf (although he is more of a shoot first centre) or if he doesn't hit his peak, Arnott.

He's everything Brian Burke wishes Joe Colborne was. As for Gudbranson, it's never going to happen (as much as we'd all like it to).

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#504 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,341 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

Theodore in 11/12: $1.5M. 53 GP. 2.46 GAA. .917 SV%
Luongo in 11/12: $5.33M. 55 GP. 2.41 GAA. .919 SV%.

I keep coming back to this. How does Gillis convince a budget-oriented team to spend way more on very comparable (current) goaltending stats, and expect to get anything valuable in return? For $1.5M, why wouldn't Tallon give Theodore 55-60 starts next year?

Short term your point makes sense.
But if Florida looks beyond a year their interests aren't so clear.

Longer term - Luongo's lifetime stats are better than Theodore's last season, his best season since he played in Montreal (playing for a stingy, low scoring Panthers team).

Theodore has only one year left on his contract - turns 36 in a month - their prospect Markstrom has had problems with his knees.

Florida is currently slightly under the salary cap floor. If they acquired Luongo they could still get a return for Theodore - the difference in cap hit is 3.8.

I don't think acquiring Luongo makes no sense - they can make due for a year, but regardless, their future in goal is pretty uncertain.

#505 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:17 PM

Cause only a mentally weak professional would sign a 12 year contract with a team in a city he couldn't handle 2 years later because of the media and fan base.

His agent and Gillis gave him that contract, would you have turned it down? If you would've, you would've been an absolute fool that failed to seize an opportunity to set your family up for generations.

I don't know what you think but the vast majority of Canuck fans want Luongo gone and I'm actually not one of those booing him at games (nor do I want him gone) but I am a season ticket holder that hears all of the moaning and groaning as well as all of the boos that reign down from the crowd around me (to say nothing of the cheers when he gets pulled). Hell, my buddies in the same section as me are always sending me emails of pictures of Luongo getting pwned.

Why would you want to play for a city that doesn't want you to play for them? After all, aren't they/we the ones paying to see and cheering these players? Toronto had to move Larry Murphy for many of the same reasons. It happens to the best of them. Stop ridiculing someone for wanting to go somewhere that he's actually wanted instead of staying somewhere he's clearly unwanted.

#506 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:56 PM

FLA
Luongo
Edler
Schroeder

VAN
Campbell
Versteeg
Huberdeau
Bjugstad
Gudbranson

LOL

#507 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,356 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:57 PM

LOL

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#508 RonnieColeman

RonnieColeman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:59 PM

LOL

#509 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:54 AM

Being "mentally weak" and leaving because of the fan base nagging you are two entirely different tangents of this complicated story.

The former is a suggestion of character which has been proven to be untrue with the Olympics, and the numerous GREAT SAVVVE LUONGO. heard for the last six years from Jim Hughson, as well as malicious intent from the bored media working under a rainy day 70% of the year.

The latter is like having a dog constantly nag at your leg; eventually one promptly boot fu€ks the dog into oblivion, only this dog, the fan base and media, believed their goalie to be LuonGOD.

For a while.

Then they Judassed Him.

For the kid.

Edited by GHL, 04 August 2012 - 09:39 AM.

Posted Image

#510 Canuck919191

Canuck919191

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:08 AM

FLA
Luongo
Edler
Schroeder

VAN
Campbell
Versteeg
Huberdeau
Bjugstad
Gudbranson

Posted Image

Edited by Canuck919191, 04 August 2012 - 03:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.