Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2402 replies to this topic

#511 Not A Fruit

Not A Fruit

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:29 AM

LP

Edited by joshlovesnucks, 04 August 2012 - 03:31 AM.

Posted Image
Special Thanks to Twilight Sparkle ^

#512 Not A Fruit

Not A Fruit

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:30 AM

LOL

Posted Image
Special Thanks to Twilight Sparkle ^

#513 ALTtimegreat

ALTtimegreat

Comets Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:50 AM

damm proposals you scary

#514 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:52 AM

I agree that Hansen is a critical component of our 3rd line, but what about two years from now when he's up for contract renewal and looking at a $3m salary? He will likely always be a 2nd/3rd line tweener here and I'm not sure it's smart cap management to have a $3m+ third liner. If we sign Doan for four years, and have D. Sedin, D. Booth, Burrows as well as Hansen on the wings, where does that leave Kassian & Jensen? One of them playing a 4th line role? Naw we need both Jensen & Kassian playing big 3rd line roles in a couple of years if we are to win a Cup.

Something's gotta give eventually and it's a choice between Burrows & Hansen.

I can't see Gillis parting with Hansen in a Luongo package unless he gets one of Florida's three proven top-six forwards (Weiss, Fleischman, Versteeg) as part of a package deal with a lesser prospect (Howden) in return but that would mean no Doan in a Canuck uniform.

He's a 6'5" 212lbs centre with a physical element to his game. Think of a potential Getzlaf (although he is more of a shoot first centre) or if he doesn't hit his peak, Arnott.

He's everything Brian Burke wishes Joe Colborne was. As for Gudbranson, it's never going to happen (as much as we'd all like it to).

Burrows contract is up next year and what he wants to resign will have a lot to do with Hanson's future. Burrows will be 32 at that point. He has the defensive side of his game to fall back on when his scoring numbers start to slide. Hanson has never produced the big numbers but then has never had a long term opportunity. When he has played on the top 6 he has done resonably well. I agree, howevr, that the age dif gives Hanson a long term edge over Burrows. Hanson has not peaked yet in his development.

I have the utmost respect for Burrows but the reality of a player staying with a club throughout his career in todays game is almost unheard of. Van has had a bad habit of not moving their aging talent for assets.

#515 mpt

mpt

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,523 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:12 AM

Or, he has heard the hometown "Booooo"s long enough and recognizes that it has turned into an intolerable situation for both him & his teammates with the incessant media poking and jarring at any and every "controversy".

"My guess" can be Friedman's (or any other reporter for that matter) way of protecting what a player, or someone very close to the player, has said without using it as a direct quote.

I agree Miller, I've had enough of these fans and I'm not even on the team.

#516 Big Filthy

Big Filthy

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:18 AM

I could be wrong but didn't the bruins try to get rid of thomas the summer before they won the cup? This is starting to remind me of that situation, they wanted to make room for Rask, hung on to Thomas and we all know how that ended

#517 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:28 AM

I could be wrong but didn't the bruins try to get rid of thomas the summer before they won the cup? This is starting to remind me of that situation, they wanted to make room for Rask, hung on to Thomas and we all know how that ended

Yes because every situation that has similarities will end the same

Edited by ccc44, 04 August 2012 - 09:34 AM.

Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#518 hockeyfan90

hockeyfan90

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:31 AM

lol everyone here is really overvaluing Hansen. Seriously u guys make it seem like he's an untouchable on this team....Well I couldn't even consider him an untouchable. Only players untouchable are Sedins, Kesler, Schnieder now, Hamhuis and Bieksa. Burrows and Edler would be included if they do sign here next year. Everyone else on this team is fair game to me, and that includes Booth, Higgins, and Hansen.

Edited by hockeyfan90, 04 August 2012 - 09:34 AM.

#519 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:43 AM

lol everyone here is really overvaluing Hansen. Seriously u guys make it seem like he's an untouchable on this team....Well I couldn't even consider him an untouchable. Only players untouchable are Sedins, Kesler, Schnieder now, Hamhuis and Bieksa. Burrows and Edler would be included if they do sign here next year. Everyone else on this team is fair game to me, and that includes Booth, Higgins, and Hansen.

Thought to stop reading at Kesler, then really stopped reading at Schneider.

Schneider untouchable... lol

Edited by GHL, 04 August 2012 - 09:49 AM.

Posted Image

#520 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:48 AM

Whether Luongo is traded or plays for Vancouver, he ought to be more pumped than any other time in his career. If that is so, then we might see a Luongo-won Cup in Vancouver.

Luongo with a Cup is worth much more than a Luongo with no Cup.

I am comfortable with running the table with $9.000 MIL in the crease. Much more comfortable than having Raymond, Ballard and Alberts float for a combined $7.700 MIL.

There's your Doan money.

Posted Image

#521 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:21 AM

Whether Luongo is traded or plays for Vancouver, he ought to be more pumped than any other time in his career. If that is so, then we might see a Luongo-won Cup in Vancouver.

I am comfortable with running the table with $9.000 MIL in the crease. Much more comfortable than having Raymond, Ballard and Alberts float for a combined $7.700 MIL.

There's your Doan money.

That is what I was hoping for last year because after getting lit up in 3 games and not good in game 7 on the biggest stage in the SCF you would have thought last year was the season to be fired up, but instead he was clearly outplayed by a goalie in his 2nd season as a backup.
Gillis must have wondered how Lu would rebound from the finals and that is the reason Cory was not traded last season to add something becaause his biggest worry was Lu was having a rather poor season on a very good team in a very weak division.
I think Gillis told AV to put in Cory in game 3 and AV knew if he didnt he would no longer be the coach of this team.

Edited by Get real canuck fans, 04 August 2012 - 10:24 AM.

#522 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:46 AM

That is what I was hoping for last year because after getting lit up in 3 games and not good in game 7 on the biggest stage in the SCF you would have thought last year was the season to be fired up, but instead he was clearly outplayed by a goalie in his 2nd season as a backup.
Gillis must have wondered how Lu would rebound from the finals and that is the reason Cory was not traded last season to add something becaause his biggest worry was Lu was having a rather poor season on a very good team in a very weak division.
I think Gillis told AV to put in Cory in game 3 and AV knew if he didnt he would no longer be the coach of this team.

This is why I believe the fans became dis-satisfied with his play and let him know it. There were nights when he seemed invincible, but there were also nights when he looked like the goalie from the game 7 SCF. He appeared laxadasicle in net, almost asleep and it didn't sit well, especially at the beginning of the season. Of course he was able to pick it up and salvage our second Pres. Trophy, but then fell asleep again in three playoff games.

Even though Schneider came in and was unable to salvage the series, the fans showed him no animosity the way they had with Lou. It was then that I believe the fans had truly spoken and the writing was on the wall for Lou. Vancouver fans were more comfortable with Schneids between the pipes (myself being one of them).

#523 Big Filthy

Big Filthy

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:54 AM

Yes because every situation that has similarities will end the same

Just said it was reminding me that's all. Nothing wrong with hoping it happens. Oh wait let me guess this is where I put a trade proposal like Luongo Raymond and Ballard for gudbranson Weiss matthias and a 1st right?? Oh yeah and sign doan I almost missed that part. My apologies

#524 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,412 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:05 AM

There's your Doan money.

Our defense becomes so weak.

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Garrison
Joslin - Tanev
Sauve - Connauton

If any of our top 4 Dmen get injured we are completely screwed.

Edited by playboi19, 04 August 2012 - 11:08 AM.

Subbancopy.jpg

#525 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:51 AM

Our defense becomes so weak.

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Garrison
Joslin - Tanev
Sauve - Connauton

If any of our top 4 Dmen get injured we are completely screwed.

I really dont mind ballard, he may not be perfect, and his salary might be a little high, but hes still a good player and was the best D in the playoffs. He hits hard, he can rush, he fights, and hes mostly defensively sound. If you took 1-1.5 million off his salary everyone here would be touting him as the next big thing. You guys need to stop trying to quantify everything, Id gladly take 2 ballards over 1 weber.

Posted Image

#526 Zackassian

Zackassian

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:07 PM

Ballard is currently only worth about $2.5 mil. I'd take Weber at 5. I take Weber at $7.5 over three Ballards.

I wouldn't mind having Lou still between the pipes, but I don't think the fans will give him a fair shake. Let lou eat up a bunch of games in the regular season to keep Schneids fresh.
It's a split squad game.

#527 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,920 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:24 PM

Burrows contract is up next year and what he wants to resign will have a lot to do with Hanson's future. Burrows will be 32 at that point. He has the defensive side of his game to fall back on when his scoring numbers start to slide. Hanson has never produced the big numbers but then has never had a long term opportunity. When he has played on the top 6 he has done resonably well. I agree, howevr, that the age dif gives Hanson a long term edge over Burrows. Hanson has not peaked yet in his development.

I have the utmost respect for Burrows but the reality of a player staying with a club throughout his career in todays game is almost unheard of. Van has had a bad habit of not moving their aging talent for assets.

So, would you include Burrows in a deal with Luongo, rather than Hansen? It's an interesting perspective to consider.......Burrows is going to command a minimum of $4.5, but is he really worth that kind of dough, especially as he ages? I actaully see hansen developing into what Burrows was a few years ago, and I'd hate to see JH find his stride in another organization

Luongo
Burrows
3rd

Bjugstad
Weiss
1st

#528 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:38 PM

Thought to stop reading at Kesler, then really stopped reading at Schneider.

Schneider untouchable... lol

Not sure why that's funny. Schneider is the best goalie we have.

#529 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:09 PM

Just said it was reminding me that's all. Nothing wrong with hoping it happens. Oh wait let me guess this is where I put a trade proposal like Luongo Raymond and Ballard for gudbranson Weiss matthias and a 1st right?? Oh yeah and sign doan I almost missed that part. My apologies

why would Florida want our underachieving over price players ? Im one of few here that realizes we are not going to get a top prospect from Florida for Luongo unless we have more then one team making a serious run for him to drive his value up, Florida is not desperate for Luongo , The market does not appear to be a good one for Luongo at this point and Gillis is going to have to decide if the media circus and possible locker room issues come training camp is worth waiting out for the deal he is looking for , In my opinion bringing on those distractions and with the pressures of playing in Vancouver already i would say he is just better of making a decent deal that will help us and move on instead of looking for a homerun and not risking this thing blowing up in his face.

Edited by ccc44, 04 August 2012 - 01:10 PM.

Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#530 yogolol

yogolol

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:16 PM

why would Florida want our underachieving over price players ? Im one of few here that realizes we are not going to get a top prospect from Florida for Luongo unless we have more then one team making a serious run for him to drive his value up, Florida is not desperate for Luongo , The market does not appear to be a good one for Luongo at this point and Gillis is going to have to decide if the media circus and possible locker room issues come training camp is worth waiting out for the deal he is looking for , In my opinion bringing on those distractions and with the pressures of playing in Vancouver already i would say he is just better of making a decent deal that will help us and move on instead of looking for a homerun and not risking this thing blowing up in his face.

You clearly missed that posters sarcasm.
Watch my hockey tributes! http://www.youtube.c...urjesuss/videos

#531 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:27 PM

I'm fine with giving up the Honey Badger if it means gaining either Bjugstad or Gudbranson. Huberdeau is untouchable and I think Kassian can fill Hansen's spot on the 3rd line quite nicely. After working out this Summer and training with Gary Roberts I expect Kassian to surprise a lot of people this year.

Kassian also brings more size,grit and youth than the Honey Badger does in the bottom 6 as well. If Hansen were to be sent to FLA deal I'd be completely happy with hypothetically this trade

VAN gains:
Bjugstad
2013 1st rd pick
Roster spot for Kassian

FLA gains:
Luongo
Hansen
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#532 grandmaster

grandmaster

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:41 PM

All these proposals for a player not even guaranteed to make the NHL.

Luongo is a star top 10 goalie in the NHL.

These prospects in Florida are not enough.

Luongo is worth more here as insurance than some prospect who may never make our team.

Enough with these stupid proposals!

Favorite all time Canuck: Bertuzzi 2002-2003 season
Most clutch all time Canuck: Linden 1994 Stanley Cup Playoffs
Most exciting all time Canuck: Pavel Bure 90's

#533 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,920 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:08 PM

Luongo is worth more here as insurance than some prospect who may never make our team.

Like it or not, that's the new NHL where young players on cheap contracts, who have trained like pro's since they were 13, make significant impacts in the league...........they are, because of their high skill level and cheap contracts, the most valuable assets in the league

#534 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:29 PM

To FLA
Luongo
Raymond

To VAN
Matthias
Theodore
1st round 2013

I'd be happy with this if we sign Doan. Luongo isn't going to return that much. It just isn't going to happen. Tallon is not going to deal one of Bjustad, Howden, Huberdeau or even Shore.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#535 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:42 PM

Another poster who gets it. I for one am very glad Gillis is our GM. He takes his time to analyze. He makes excellent decisions.

I don't buy this situation as being urgent and I don't think the owners, the GM, Luongo himself not his agent Lupien are in a hurry. At the end of the day, everyone gets paid, even Schneider and his $4.000 MIL/ yr.

Schneider's new salary as an RFA is rather expensive and I see it as a compensation for NOT being the number one yet. As an RFA, he has no bargaining power except on term.

I am glad and hope it runs as such, to have a Luongo/ Schneider tandem. Schneider is NOT fully trained to take over the Canucks' number one position. Maybe another team like Columbus or NYI but not the Canucks.

The Canucks need Luongo more than Luongo needs the Canucks.

Edited by GHL, 04 August 2012 - 03:39 PM.

Posted Image

#536 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:50 PM

Or...

...Gillis, Luongo & Luongo's agent all sat down later that summer in 2011and mutually agreed to give it one more chance to succeed only to watch the vociferous fans make it very loud and clear that this was not a viable long term solution beyond this year.

Perhaps that is why he held onto Schneider?

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#537 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:28 PM

So, would you include Burrows in a deal with Luongo, rather than Hansen? It's an interesting perspective to consider.......Burrows is going to command a minimum of $4.5, but is he really worth that kind of dough, especially as he ages? I actaully see hansen developing into what Burrows was a few years ago, and I'd hate to see JH find his stride in another organization

Luongo
Burrows
3rd

Bjugstad
Weiss
1st

That would be one gutsy move on Gillis's part to trade Burrows. He would have to have a real comfort level in who he has coming back in the deal and to an extent a comfort in Kassian and Jensen as well. At first look I almost think Tallon would be getting the better deal. Back to Burrows. He has done everything for this org and while I think no player is untradeable it would be a very sad day to see him moved.

#538 Canuck919191

Canuck919191

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:40 PM

Luongo
Burrows
3rd

Bjugstad
Weiss
1st

They

are

not

trading

their

center.

Will

Canucks

fans

ever

understand

this

fact?

EDIT: Sorry, just thought it was a good way to make it clear. ;)

Edited by Canuck919191, 04 August 2012 - 04:41 PM.

#539 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:02 PM

They

are

not

trading

their

center.

Will

Canucks

fans

ever

understand

this

fact?

EDIT: Sorry, just thought it was a good way to make it clear. ;)

I hope you mean Weiss... Bjugstad hasn't even played an NHL game yet.

Edited by GHL, 04 August 2012 - 06:03 PM.

Posted Image

#540 Alex Burrows 14

Alex Burrows 14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:19 PM

I just hope we dont get matthias and bjugstad without giving up a center because then we r gunna have a logjam down the middle in a few yrs
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.