The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

False.

Firstly, I would like to know what the Luongo fans think the definition of "elite" is? According to the dictionary, that aint Luo, not anymore anyways.

Secondly, Luongo is NOT good enough to carry a team into the playoffs on his own. He couldn't do it with Florida even once, he had a pre-meltdown in 2008 and we missed the playoffs. He arguably did it on his own in 2007 when he was in his prime.

Thirdly, you mention that Luongo can do it all alone until the playoffs and then it's up to the rest of the team to "provide the appropriate support to succeed"? In many cases in his career that would include the team needing to score 5-9 goals per game, in the playoffs no less. Good luck with that. You basically summed up what I say about Luongo all the time, he can be great during the season but come the playoffs and the team needs to become a scoring machine.

We are not going to get anyone fantastic in return for Luongo. Let's accept a 2nd rounder or a 1st if we are damn lucky, then enjoy the cap relief.

False.

Firstly, I would like to know what the Luongo fans think the definition of "elite" is? According to the dictionary, that aint Luo, not anymore anyways.

Secondly, Luongo is NOT good enough to carry a team into the playoffs on his own. He couldn't do it with Florida even once, he had a pre-meltdown in 2008 and we missed the playoffs. He arguably did it on his own in 2007 when he was in his prime.

Thirdly, you mention that Luongo can do it all alone until the playoffs and then it's up to the rest of the team to "provide the appropriate support to succeed"? In many cases in his career that would include the team needing to score 5-9 goals per game, in the playoffs no less. Good luck with that. You basically summed up what I say about Luongo all the time, he can be great during the season but come the playoffs and the team needs to become a scoring machine.

We are not going to get anyone fantastic in return for Luongo. Let's accept a 2nd rounder or a 1st if we are damn lucky, then enjoy the cap relief.

Yeah you're right. Someone like Stephen Weiss fills a void that we have NOW. Because NOW to Canuck fans is the only awnser :frantic:

Screw the kid with 1st line superstar potential right? Why would we need him for the next 5-10 years, obviously give us the 30 year old unersized highly average 2nd liner that will push us over the top instead!!

if Luongo really wants to help the organization he'll shut his mouth and prepare for another season as a canuck, until MG finds the right deal, otherwise he screws us. He has to be totally compliant, because of the situation he put us in, otherwise he is to blame if we don't receive equal return. what a tool, I hope MG gets rid of him and we get someone solid

Yeah you're right. Someone like Stephen Weiss fills a void that we have NOW. Because NOW to Canuck fans is the only awnser :frantic:

Screw the kid with 1st line superstar potential right? Why would we need him for the next 5-10 years, obviously give us the 30 year old unersized highly average 2nd liner that will push us over the top instead!!

Woops! Thought you just liked to write in blue, didn't bother checking if it was a link. Haha and yeah, Weiss was just an example.

The article says Bjugstad is not the answer, but then later on goes to say we need to get younger, deeper, and someone who can center the third line. How does Bjugstad not fit that role? Even if he does play another full year in college that doesn't effect the Canucks. He could pull a Chris Krieder and join the team for the playoffs.

As has been discussed before, Kesler will not be out that long, and Lapierre and Malhotra are more than capable stepping up in a temporary role, along with Jordan Schroeder trying to make his claim. The Canucks have no need to be chasing another presidents trophy and I hope they don't settle for less in a trade just to fill a short term need. If Huberdeau and Gudbranson are off the table, than Bjugstad or bust, and hope that Tallon caves.

Matthias alone would be a fantastic pickup, add in Bjugstad and that deal is an absolute steal.

We get rid of Raymond and Schroeder, two smaller guys, give up Luongo and a pick and get back 2 absolute studs who can skate and play with the puck. That would fill our need for size and skill in the future, take some pressure off Kassian to be the "goon" perse, and give us some room to acquire some smaller talent for speed/skill purposes without worrying about the whole "bullied around" concept

Wow if gillis can pull off the matthias and Bjugstad trade id drop my jaw, two really big young centers that can bring physicality, Bjugstad Matthias and Gaunce down the center in the future......and he gets rid of may ray

Archived