Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2402 replies to this topic

#721 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,191 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:24 PM

LA is an elite team. If you look at their lineup, it's actually quite scary. And I'm not just saying this after they won a cup, I posted a topic before the playoffs began about how I thought the kings were going to be an absolute nightmare to defeat. Just think about this, they almost took us to game 7 a year before last (the year we went to the finals and were the favorites to win it all) without Kopitar, Carter, and Richards. Doughty is one of the best D-man in the league, they have one of the most dominant centers in the league in Kopitar, and their goalie just won the vezina and Conn Smythe; and then take into consideration these three guys at 23, 24, and 26 respectively are still getting better. Add onto that a supporting cast of olympians such as Brown, Richards, Carter; and also remember, they are going to get significant pieces back when they trade Bernier. Honestly, given their cap makeup, depth, youth, elite level skill, and prospect pool, LA is going to become a dynasty if they play their cards right. When's the last time a team ran through the playoffs in 20 games (average of 5 games per series)?

If we want to compete, our second line is going to require players better than the likes of Mason Raymond or Chris Higgins.

The only trading pieces of value we have right now are Luongo, Raymond (somewhat), and our first rounder. Guys like Jensen, Connauton, and Lack are worth far more than their current market value. So it's Gillis' job to acquire a legitimate top 6 guy before the deadline. He failed to do this last year at the deadline, and we paid for it in the first round. He has the assets needed to make a big move, he promised this when he took the job of GM, there won't be any excuses this time around.

LA is a strong puck possession team (the best in the league last yr, I believe), I def would not describe them as elite. I think their team, particularity their d-core and goalie, benefit from playing a defense first game (just like STL). They also benefit from playing a system that I don't think any coach has figured out how to break yet (at least according to Bowman).

Doughtys underlying numbers were very similar to Bieksa this yr (Bieksas slightly better), Doughty benefited from double the PP TOI as Juice. I wouldn't describe him as one of the best d-men in the league. IMO the best d-men in the league are guys who play the toughest mins (above 1.0 and o-zones below 50%), and have a strong corsi and GA/60. Doughty doesn't fit that category.

Kopitars good cause he plays tough mins effectively, though his defense abilities are questionable. He's certainly not Kesler in that dept. Their top 6 guys play the toughest mins, and leave the weak ones for their bottom 6. Pretty much the opposite of Canucks which is why I reflected on in my earlier post w/ regards to Sedins.

I think they'll be battling for a playoff spot again this yr. LA is good, but had a lot of luck this yr in their playoff run IMO. Officiating was their biggest piece of luck. The difference between Nucks and LAs cap $$ availability is goalies $$. Their cap will look a lot different once Quick $5.8M cap hit kicks in next yr, they'll have cap issues unless they let key guys walk. It's likely why they've left lots of cap room this yr - they have to.

I agree, I think Nucks could use an upgrade in the top 6. Preferably one that comes free..... Doan... anyone?

#722 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:48 PM

LA is an elite team. If you look at their lineup, it's actually quite scary. And I'm not just saying this after they won a cup, I posted a topic before the playoffs began about how I thought the kings were going to be an absolute nightmare to defeat. Just think about this, they almost took us to game 7 a year before last (the year we went to the finals and were the favorites to win it all) without Kopitar, Carter, and Richards. Doughty is one of the best D-man in the league, they have one of the most dominant centers in the league in Kopitar, and their goalie just won the vezina and Conn Smythe; and then take into consideration these three guys at 23, 24, and 26 respectively are still getting better. Add onto that a supporting cast of olympians such as Brown, Richards, Carter; and also remember, they are going to get significant pieces back when they trade Bernier. Honestly, given their cap makeup, depth, youth, elite level skill, and prospect pool, LA is going to become a dynasty if they play their cards right. When's the last time a team ran through the playoffs in 20 games (average of 5 games per series)?

If we want to compete, our second line is going to require players better than the likes of Mason Raymond or Chris Higgins.

The only trading pieces of value we have right now are Luongo, Raymond (somewhat), and our first rounder. Guys like Jensen, Connauton, and Lack are worth far more than their current market value. So it's Gillis' job to acquire a legitimate top 6 guy before the deadline. He failed to do this last year at the deadline, and we paid for it in the first round. He has the assets needed to make a big move, he promised this when he took the job of GM, there won't be any excuses this time around.

Seeing how Luongo has been thrown under a bus, I would not be the least surprised to see Gillis being thrown under the bus too by the same illogical rabid fans.

Posted Image

#723 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:12 PM

Hey ya'll my sources told me that a deals almost done and Lu and Schroeder are heading to Edmonton for Hall.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#724 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:21 PM

Where's all this Boston/Lucic trade stuff coming from?

does make you wonder what hes on doesn;t it ??

#725 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:28 PM

Luongo, Hansen, Raymond, 1st for Bjugstad, Matthias & Howden?

They won't give up 3 young assets, for two older guys, a late 1st, and a guy who trips over lines painted under the ice..

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#726 Standing_Tall#37

Standing_Tall#37

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:38 PM

They won't give up 3 young assets, for two older guys, a late 1st, and a guy who trips over lines painted under the ice..

Lol feel like u even left? I don't know if it's possible but I think most of the proposals these days are even more dumb than the ones we used to see when you were last a regular... :lol:

#727 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:46 PM

Taken from the Luongo news thread so as to continue conversation in the Luongo discussion thread.

I'm surprised he didnt add a "Wow" Hashtag like usual.

Canucks asking price for Luongo is a package of Huberdeau, Theodore, and Gudbranson. Ball in your court florida. #WOW #Panthers #Canucks #Confirmed

See I'm a better insider.

I like the idea of fair value. In my option, this is unbalanced but close to fair value where it merits to say Vancouver could add a little more. Not much. But a little more.

Luongo is not "done". He is contract heavy and ought not to be seen as a quick fix problem, but as the best asset the Canucks have not named Sedin.

No reason to panick on this one and rightly so.

Bjudgstad and Mattias or Mattias and a 1st, if the choice ends up being as such, good draft pool next summer but tradingLuongo to Florida might mean a low pick afterall...

I do like the idea of piling up on centers.

Edited by GHL, 10 August 2012 - 12:13 AM.

Posted Image

#728 Grave

Grave

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:58 PM

Mobile

2nd place is the 1st loser

#729 Alex Edler 23

Alex Edler 23

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:08 AM

Posting to see last page.
Sig too big.

#730 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:59 AM

Taken from the Luongo news thread so as to continue conversation in the Luongo discussion thread.

I like the idea of fair value. In my option, this is unbalanced but close to fair value where it merits to say Vancouver could add a little more. Not much. But a little more.

Luongo is not "done". He is contract heavy and ought not to be seen as a quick fix problem, but as the best asset the Canucks have not named Sedin.

No reason to panick on this one and rightly so.

Bjudgstad and Mattias or Mattias and a 1st, if the choice ends up being as such, good draft pool next summer but tradingLuongo to Florida might mean a low pick afterall...

I do like the idea of piling up on centers.

Schnider is a much, much better asset than Lu.

#731 Martin Frk

Martin Frk

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:37 AM

If you told me 2 months ago that Roberto Luongo wouldn't be traded before Aug 10th, I wouldn't believe you. Kind of shocked he hasnt been dealt yet, however Im glad Gillis has set a price and wont budge.
Posted Image
Cred to Lemons

#732 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,377 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:25 AM

Two over the hill Injured old veterans for David Booth, Steven Reinprecht, and a 3rd round pick says you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Subbancopy.jpg

#733 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,211 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:36 AM

Mobile (why can't they just make a last page option for mobile)
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#734 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,211 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:44 AM

Trying to up your post count?

He's probably trying to get to the last page on mobile.
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#735 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:52 AM

Two over the hill Injured old veterans for David Booth, Steven Reinprecht, and a 3rd round pick says you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

None of the players in that trade are considered prospects. It's not like Booth came over and lit it up either, those were salary dumps for Tallon (I do think MG got the better in that trade though). You gotta compare apples with apples before you insult someone.

#736 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,412 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:17 AM

There could be missing pieces from the report that wasn't mentioned or known, that Gillis could be mulling over. I'd doubt the Luongo would fetch Matthias and Bjugstad, without something or someone else going with Lui.

Tallon ain't no dummy.

Yeah I`d wager if we`re getting Matthias and Bjugstad, one of Schroeder, Raymond or Hansen is going the other way. Likely with a pick of some sort. Maybe that`s what`s being sorted out now with Gillis/Tallon. IMO Gillis wouldn`t give up more than a 3rd rounder...maybe 2nd if it`s Hansen or Schroeder or a 2nd... BIG maybe, a 1st if it's Raymond.

I`d be ok with losing one of Raymond/Hansen in that package anyway as our bottom 9 is starting to look a bit crowded if Kassian truly is expected to earn a spot somewhere in the top 9. (I see them sending him to the Wolves if he doesn't make the top 9 out of camp as the 1st line minutes there would serve him better than 4th line ones here IMO).

Sedin, Sedin, Bur
Booth, Kes, Kassian (Doan?)
Higgins, Matthias, Raymond/Hansen/Kassian
Manny, Lappy, Raymond/HansenVolpatti/Ebbett/etc

^^ That's a lot of dudes fighting it out for the bottom two right wing positions.

Edited by J.R., 10 August 2012 - 09:22 AM.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#737 JensenFan2011

JensenFan2011

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:31 AM

Yeah I`d wager if we`re getting Matthias and Bjugstad, one of Schroeder, Raymond or Hansen is going the other way. Likely with a pick of some sort. Maybe that`s what`s being sorted out now with Gillis/Tallon. IMO Gillis wouldn`t give up more than a 3rd rounder...maybe 2nd if it`s Hansen or Schroeder or a 2nd... BIG maybe, a 1st if it's Raymond.

I`d be ok with losing one of Raymond/Hansen in that package anyway as our bottom 9 is starting to look a bit crowded if Kassian truly is expected to earn a spot somewhere in the top 9. (I see them sending him to the Wolves if he doesn't make the top 9 out of camp as the 1st line minutes there would serve him better than 4th line ones here IMO).

Sedin, Sedin, Bur
Booth, Kes, Kassian (Doan?)
Higgins, Matthias, Raymond/Hansen/Kassian
Manny, Lappy, Raymond/HansenVolpatti/Ebbett/etc

^^ That's a lot of dudes fighting it out for the bottom two right wing positions.

don't forget Jensen fighting for top 9 he is not out of the question

#738 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,412 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:36 AM

don't forget Jensen fighting for top 9 he is not out of the question

Yes, good point...forgot about him too.

That's why I feel GMMG would be ok letting one of Hansen/Raymond go. I mean I'd hate to HAVE to give up Hansen...he's a great "lunch pail" guy, has decent hands (for a bottom 6), is a tenacious checker, good salary etc...but that's also why he holds value to other teams...and you have to give to get.

Edited by J.R., 10 August 2012 - 09:37 AM.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#739 JensenFan2011

JensenFan2011

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:43 AM

Yes, good point...forgot about him too.

That's why I feel GMMG would be ok letting one of Hansen/Raymond go. I mean I'd hate to HAVE to give up Hansen...he's a great "lunch pail" guy, has decent hands (for a bottom 6), is a tenacious checker, good salary etc...but that's also why he holds value to other teams...and you have to give to get.

yea i would give up Hansen if it meant in a couple years have a line of

Jensen Bjustad Kassian..... thats a huge line

#740 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,067 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:37 AM

Bjustad doesn't have an NHL contract with Florida (as per capgeek). I don't want him in case he pulls a Justin Schultz on the Nucks. Only want him if it's a guarantee that he'll sign a NHL contract. How many more years before Bjustad becomes a UFA?

I'd rather the Nucks make sure to get a guy under contract.

Maybe...

Luongo + Schroeder + Hansen for Matthias + Howden + 2nd 2013?

#741 ABurrows14

ABurrows14

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:51 AM

Deal will happen soon...will be with FLA, Toronto is still saying price too high, before came guaranteed (assuming there is one on a normal schedule), CBA negotiations making FLA's ownership more comfortable with the Lou contract, ability to wrangle out towards the end.

Hockeyinsider (who I am not supporting here), has said two deals on the table

1. Bjugs, Matthias
2. Mattias and 2013 first

Decision now with Canucks.

Not sure how accurate those offers are however I do know this. MG wanted:

1. Bjugs and the pick,
2. Howden and the pick

May have been another player going with Lou not sure (don't have that detail). Howden is not only terrific but also an insurance policy vs. Bjugs pulling a Schultz and nucks being left with only Matthias (based on the above for Lou).

My bet is its number 1 with compensation if he doesn't sign with the Nucks post is college career.

#742 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,389 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:01 PM

Deal will happen soon...will be with FLA, Toronto is still saying price too high, before came guaranteed (assuming there is one on a normal schedule), CBA negotiations making FLA's ownership more comfortable with the Lou contract, ability to wrangle out towards the end.

Hockeyinsider (who I am not supporting here), has said two deals on the table

1. Bjugs, Matthias
2. Mattias and 2013 first

Decision now with Canucks.

Not sure how accurate those offers are however I do know this. MG wanted:

1. Bjugs and the pick,
2. Howden and the pick

May have been another player going with Lou not sure (don't have that detail). Howden is not only terrific but also an insurance policy vs. Bjugs pulling a Schultz and nucks being left with only Matthias (based on the above for Lou).

My bet is its number 1 with compensation if he doesn't sign with the Nucks post is college career.

Gillis kindly declines. As I expect he will. Florida needs to include a roster player to proceed. Balls in their court. You dont' get star goalies out of nothing. it doesn't work this way.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#743 Niklas Jensen

Niklas Jensen

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:12 PM

Just give us Gudbranson, I don't want Matthias or Bjugstad. Luongo + Schroeder for Gudbranson straight up
Our D's must make opponent fowards going to the net PAY THE PRICE

#744 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:15 PM

Creative approach is likely, yes, a 3 year deal.

However, it could see a trade like Bryzgalov to Toronto, Luongo to Philly (should he choose to waive there) and then a player from both teams to Vancouver?

#745 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:26 PM

Creative approach is likely, yes, a 3 year deal.

However, it could see a trade like Bryzgalov to Toronto, Luongo to Philly (should he choose to waive there) and then a player from both teams to Vancouver?

Bryz has more power than Lu because he has a NMC, and do you think he would waive to go to Toronto?

#746 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:28 PM

Just give us Gudbranson, I don't want Matthias or Bjugstad. Luongo + Schroeder for Gudbranson straight up

Give me your car I give you my bicycle yes?

Posted Image

#747 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:34 PM

Bryz has more power than Lu because he has a NMC, and do you think he would waive to go to Toronto?

Lots of players would. He'd be the number one in a hockey crazy market where the expectations aren't as high as in Philly, who is a contender

#748 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,191 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:32 PM

Bruce Garrioch@SunGarrioch

There's still a strong belief the Canucks will close a deal on G Roberto Luongo before the CBA expires Sept. 15th. #NHL

#749 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

No kidding.

#750 arsenalian

arsenalian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:18 PM

There's still a strong belief the Canucks will close a deal on G Roberto Luongo before the CBA expires Sept. 15th. #NHL

Thanks, Tips

@ Bruce Garrioch (not you RunningWild)

Edited by arsenalian, 10 August 2012 - 03:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.