Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2402 replies to this topic

#1081 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:41 AM

Joke thread.

#1082 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:58 AM

Joke thread.

Show me one thread that isn't a joke at this point.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

MirandaKerr.jpg
2 0 1 5 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#1083 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:34 AM

Buddy,

We were up 2-0 in the series this is what happened

1. We get shelled in game 3 thanks to a bad team effort and terrible goaltending.
2. AV makes the mistake of going back to lou in game 4, dance with the girl you brought mentality but given lou's inconsistency 20/20 says it wasn't smart, should have switched it up and gone with CS in a non elimination game, plus he's from boston, maybe he comes back with a big game.
3. Lou lets in four, now let me talk about those 4, because when/ how those go in matter, actually only 2 matter the most.
a. First goal breakaway through the five hole..ok, adv to shooter give him that. BUT, what this means is the next one can't be easy, can't go in, especially with Thomas standing on his head, if you want to win you HAVE to match him. Later that period, Ryder, on an innocent play, where he had nothing, was alone, was pinched off at the top of the circle, just throws one at the net, Lou goes down for no reason on the floater and it goes over his glove. 2-0 game over series tied and momentum shifted.
4. Game 7. First goal lucky knuckler, ok..happens. Same issue as above. Next goal can't go in. He lets in the wrap around from Marchand, that two nights before chirped Thomas about being able to stop. 2-0 game over. I was there, I saw the Nuck's heads drop, they knew they were done, Thomas wasn't going to let in 3 and who knew if Lou would stop more.

Its not how many you save its when. Lou has shown a consistent ability to let in bad goals and bad times. This impacts the team, he was the reason chicago got back in the series in the first round.

Wake up, do you think the only reason teams are more interested in Schnieder is age and salary? If Lou was the best of the two wouldn't the whole league be banging down the door for him?

Lou lovers really have to wake up. He is not the goalie he was when he came here, he did alot for us, yes, doesn't deserve the vitreol, but he is not the better goalie and did indeed cost us the stanley cup.

No way!!
It's never Luongo's fault! It's not his job to stop pucks. Our defense sucks and our forwards cant score an average of 6.5 goals per playoff game.(Sarcasm)

#1084 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:45 AM

Trading Luongo will be a big mistake! Your trading one of the best goalies in the league so a goalie who we "think" is better than Luongo will win us a cup. I want this team to win a cup with Lou and only with Luo! Winning a cup with Luongo will feel way better than winning a cup with Schnieder.

He may have been one of the best in the league at one time, he isn't now.
So in addition your'e saying you'd rather win a cup with Luongo or not at all? Well guess what, Luo is going bye bye and chances are we would never win a cup with him anyway, not unless the playoffs became a two week tournament and all the best canadian players signed with the Canucks at a huge discount. Even then there would be no guarantee.
Perhaps it would be best for you to cheer on another team as apparently you wont feel good about a Canucks championship if it ever happens

#1085 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:10 AM

Where's Smith's Cup? That's right.

Now to Quick. Did you see the team he had in front of him? Put Luongo in place of Quick and Luongo easily wins a Cup with that L.A. Team.

The Canucks were not as stacked as L.A. Currently is, nor are they as of now. There are two glaring problems: secondary scoring and toughness.

Who besides Rome would ever have dared dish a hit like Brown? How about Philly's exiled? They were the face of the franchise for years. Kopitar? Doughty and Mitchell? That team is STACKED.

No but I mean STACKED.

The reason LA won the CUP was because of Quick. Suggesting that Lu could have done the same thing is a stretch as much as you love the guy. LA had size, a decent forecheck and Quick in net. Their scoring was less than mediocore and their defence gave up a lot of chances.

#1086 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:02 AM

The reason LA won the CUP was because of Quick. Suggesting that Lu could have done the same thing is a stretch as much as you love the guy. LA had size, a decent forecheck and Quick in net. Their scoring was less than mediocore and their defence gave up a lot of chances.

Quick benefited from good defence and you say a decent for check but thats a huge understatement , There for-check can easily be the main reason they beat the canucks alone .

The key to the kings cup can easily be the hiring of Sutter in December , He came in and they immediately bought into his system and played Darryl Sutter hockey and its was pretty evident from the first game that i watched them against the canucks with him as coach (new years eve ) that they where playing like the team full of scrubs that he was able to take to a game 7 in Calgary but this time around he was working with a lot more talent .
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#1087 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

I'm not cleaning up when you guys are done with this circlejerk.

#1088 knuck

knuck

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:14 AM

Ian Esplen's explanation;
http://www.hockeybuz...nd-TO/164/46083
I was asked the other day by Beatle_John what I thought Ek meant when he said that there may be a more creative way to deal Luongo that would include some outside out the box thinking. Here is my best guess as to what Ek meant by that.

Currently, the Rumouered asking price for Luongo is something along the lines of a roster player and a first round pick, with maybe a prospect in there to.

Currently, the rumoured offers are not close to that and generally involve Vancouver taking back a bad contract.

I believe that Burke and the Maple Leafs want Luongo more than any other team out there. Lu to T.O. just makes so much sense. I also believe that this creative way is involving these two teams and Mike Komisarek and his agent as well.

Brian Burke has been a hugely outspoken since the new/old CBA was signed that he felt that teams should be able to take on an pay parts of a player's contract in order to make deals easier for teams. I believe that this outside the box option is centred around this type of a set up. Here is how they make it work.

Step 1- Toronto buys out Mike Komisarek and takes roughly a 1.17 million hit for the next four years (7 million X 0.667, spread over 4 seasons).

Step 2- Mike Gillis and the Canucks agree that they will offer Komisarek and fair contract of say 10-12 million over four years, with a NTC when he becomes a UFA. This has been worked out with Komisarek and his agent before the buyout takes place.

For this to work you would need all parties to be on board but I don't think it would be much of a problem. Komisarek gets a small raise and an additional two years out of the deal, so I could see him being on board. Vancouver gets Komisarek at a more reasonable cap number and Toronto moves Komisarek's contract for the most part off the books while doing what Burke believes teams should be able to do.

Luongo then gets moved to Toronto in a deal that is a little closer to what Gillis is asking for.

Say…
A conditional first round pick (condition being that the pick is lower than 18, if not it will be a 2nd and a 2014 4th rd pick), Ashton, and Bozak

For

Raymond and Luongo

Ballard then gets moved out for a pick or prospect

Essentially it becomes Luongo for the type of deal Gillis wants and Raymond for Komisarek.

Vancouver's lineup looks like

Sedin/Sedin/Burrows
Booth/Kesler/Kassian
Hansen/Bozak/Higgins
Lapierre/Malhotra/Pinizzotto
Ebbett/Volpatti

Hamhuis/Bieksa
Edler/Garrison
Komisarek/Alberts (or one of the kids)
Tanev (Maybe he plays with Garrison and Komi plays with Edler)

Schneider
Lack

So this is what this guys best guess is as to what Eklund meant? His guess is very detailed and descriptive for a vague and unheralded rumour. But yet he fails to describe why this creative deal didn't materialize last weekend as prophesized...

This whole hockeybuzz shenanigans are so fantastical, I love it.

#1089 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:06 PM

So this is what this guys best guess is as to what Eklund meant? His guess is very detailed and descriptive for a vague and unheralded rumour. But yet he fails to describe why this creative deal didn't materialize last weekend as prophesized...

This whole hockeybuzz shenanigans are so fantastical, I love it.

CDC - where "as early as this weekend" means "it's happening this weekend 100%"

#1090 knuck

knuck

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:45 PM

CDC - where "as early as this weekend" means "it's happening this weekend 100%"

CDC - give every dumb rumour blogger/tweeter the benefit of the doubt so they continue to feed us more garbage.

#1091 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:08 PM

CDC - give every dumb rumour blogger/tweeter the benefit of the doubt so they continue to feed us more garbage.

It's your own fault for reading the Eklund trash. You can't eat a piece of crap and then complain that you ate the piece of crap.

#1092 knuck

knuck

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:29 PM

It's your own fault for reading the Eklund trash. You can't eat a piece of crap and then complain that you ate the piece of crap.

I read it on this very forum, see quote. Plus, it wasn't Eklund and it amused me as to how fictional it was. If I complained about anything, It'd be you and people like you that give credit to the guy just because he said "as early as" or "90%" or "E4" or whatever out clause they throw in there for you to defend them.

I'm not into arguing either, obviously this piggy likes the mud. Out.

#1093 goblix

goblix

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:51 PM

I like our Defense as is,

Edler - Garrison
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Ballard - Tanev
Alberts

Callups:
Connauton - Sauve - Corrado - McNally

Leave Ballard alone this year, we have the cap, he played great at the end of the last season/playoffs, and we can focus adding to the forward positions.

Plus a good performance this year could mean that he drives up his price the next offseason.

#1094 hiebskey

hiebskey

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:55 PM

Edler - Garrison
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Ballard - Tanev
Alberts

Callups:

Leave Ballard alone this year, we have the cap, he played great at the end of the last season/playoffs, and we can focus adding to the forward positions.

Plus a good performance this year could mean that he drives up his price the next offseason.

I agree.. I think our d core isn't to bad.. And I also wouldn't mind giving Ballard one more shot in a Canucks jersey this year.. He did look good at the end of the season
saskatchewan's biggest Canuck fan :)

#1095 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:07 PM

I read it on this very forum, see quote. Plus, it wasn't Eklund and it amused me as to how fictional it was. If I complained about anything, It'd be you and people like you that give credit to the guy just because he said "as early as" or "90%" or "E4" or whatever out clause they throw in there for you to defend them.

I'm not into arguing either, obviously this piggy likes the mud. Out.

Except I wouldn't, even a blind monkey will hit a bullseye after 1,000,000 throws.
And yes, this thread does not need more arguing. It's bad enough as it is.

#1096 GoaltenderInterference

GoaltenderInterference

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,125 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:00 PM

Edler - Garrison
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Ballard - Tanev
Alberts

Callups:

Isn't McNally going to stay at Harvard?

Press the Panic Button! arrow.small.up.gif

Signature-canuckmunkey.jpg
Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak, Lokomotiv Jaroslavl, Steve Montador
Sig by .CM.

#1097 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:17 PM

Isn't McNally going to stay at Harvard?

Mmmmmmm... imagining the Ivy League chicks. Nawwww... too smart. I don't have good enough pickup lines.

MirandaKerr.jpg

#1098 NuckMan

NuckMan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:34 PM

GarthButcher5, on 16 August 2012 - 07:28 PM, said:

Ian Esplen's explanation;
http://www.hockeybuz...nd-TO/164/46083
I was asked the other day by Beatle_John what I thought Ek meant when he said that there may be a more creative way to deal Luongo that would include some outside out the box thinking. Here is my best guess as to what Ek meant by that.

Currently, the Rumouered asking price for Luongo is something along the lines of a roster player and a first round pick, with maybe a prospect in there to.

Currently, the rumoured offers are not close to that and generally involve Vancouver taking back a bad contract.

I believe that Burke and the Maple Leafs want Luongo more than any other team out there. Lu to T.O. just makes so much sense. I also believe that this creative way is involving these two teams and Mike Komisarek and his agent as well.

Brian Burke has been a hugely outspoken since the new/old CBA was signed that he felt that teams should be able to take on an pay parts of a player's contract in order to make deals easier for teams. I believe that this outside the box option is centred around this type of a set up. Here is how they make it work.

Step 1- Toronto buys out Mike Komisarek and takes roughly a 1.17 million hit for the next four years (7 million X 0.667, spread over 4 seasons).

Step 2- Mike Gillis and the Canucks agree that they will offer Komisarek and fair contract of say 10-12 million over four years, with a NTC when he becomes a UFA. This has been worked out with Komisarek and his agent before the buyout takes place.

For this to work you would need all parties to be on board but I don't think it would be much of a problem. Komisarek gets a small raise and an additional two years out of the deal, so I could see him being on board. Vancouver gets Komisarek at a more reasonable cap number and Toronto moves Komisarek's contract for the most part off the books while doing what Burke believes teams should be able to do.

Luongo then gets moved to Toronto in a deal that is a little closer to what Gillis is asking for.

Say…
A conditional first round pick (condition being that the pick is lower than 18, if not it will be a 2nd and a 2014 4th rd pick), Ashton, and Bozak

For

Raymond and Luongo

Ballard then gets moved out for a pick or prospect

Essentially it becomes Luongo for the type of deal Gillis wants and Raymond for Komisarek.

Vancouver's lineup looks like

Sedin/Sedin/Burrows
Booth/Kesler/Kassian
Hansen/Bozak/Higgins
Lapierre/Malhotra/Pinizzotto
Ebbett/Volpatti

Hamhuis/Bieksa
Edler/Garrison
Komisarek/Alberts (or one of the kids)
Tanev (Maybe he plays with Garrison and Komi plays with Edler)

Schneider
Lack

There isn't a single player I would want from the Leafs except for Morgan Riley and they aren't going to trade him so I'm hoping for Bjugstad. Also, Komi sucks. My $0.02

#1099 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,587 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:17 PM

There is some months old 'speculation'/pipe dreams out of Toronto/Dreger that they are going to manage to unload Komisarek and acquire Luongo - this takes it to a whole new level of dumb.

#1100 TmanVan

TmanVan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:30 PM

There isn't a single player I would want from the Leafs except for Morgan Riley and they aren't going to trade him so I'm hoping for Bjugstad. Also, Komi sucks. My $0.02

You're one of "those guys" eh? It's almost as if people around here like to discredit Toronto just to fit in.

What about Carter Ashton, Tyler Bozak, Cody Franson, Nazem Kadri, Joe Colborne, Tyler Biggs, Matt Finn, Jerry D'amigo, Matt Frattin, Brad Ross, Nicolas Deschamps, Greg Mckegg, and then include draft picks into the mix and Toronto still has NOTHING??

#1101 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:59 PM

You're one of "those guys" eh? It's almost as if people around here like to discredit Toronto just to fit in.

What about Carter Ashton, Tyler Bozak, Cody Franson, Nazem Kadri, Joe Colborne, Tyler Biggs, Matt Finn, Jerry D'amigo, Matt Frattin, Brad Ross, Nicolas Deschamps, Greg Mckegg, and then include draft picks into the mix and Toronto still has NOTHING??

To help us win now? to put us over the top?

There's much better trading partners if some of them care to dance.

MirandaKerr.jpg

#1102 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:01 AM

There is some months old 'speculation'/pipe dreams out of Toronto/Dreger that they are going to manage to unload Komisarek and acquire Luongo - this takes it to a whole new level of dumb.

Let's be realistic, I would say 99.673% of trade rumors are different degrees of educated speculation.

Dreger leaks info GM's intend to leak.
Burke wanted FLA and whatever other team to know how low his offer was to keep a bidding war from developing.
Exact some thing can be said about Tallon and his reluctance to give up prospects.
Gillis also played the game by mentioning that there are many teams interested and he was in no rush.
It a game, a slow borring game!
Who will be the first to bend over?

Edited by Noheart, 18 August 2012 - 12:06 AM.

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#1103 NuckMan

NuckMan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:22 AM

So I take it you're one of "those guys" who is willing to settle for Burkie's table scraps and 'B' prospects (isn't lumping people into categories fun?).

If it makes you feel better, I believe that Calgary has a craptier prospect pool than your precious Leafs. So rest easy because your mediocrity will still be better than whatever roster the Flames will be able to cobble together.

As far as I'm concerned Tman, there is no player on the Leaf roster right now that Burkie will trade and who will push us over the top, and there is no player aside from Riley who has any sort of stellar future potential in their system. Sorry to say it and dash your hopes.

You're going to have to take your Leaf glasses off for a bit here.

Carter Ashton will not amount to anything. Merely suggesting him as a candidate for Luongo is absurd. I'm fairly confident in that assessment. Same goes for Mckegg.

Then you have young Matt Finn, and Brad Ross. Both haven't played pro hockey. Brad Ross played on a stacked Winterhawks team so I'll reserve my judgement on him once I've seen him play in a more reasonable lineup. Finn just got drafted.

Bozak, Frattin, and Franson aren't prospects anymore in the traditional sense (age). I think even "people like you" would agree with me on that. Franson would be a depth D man on the Canucks in all likelyhood and Bozak might slot in for Kesler at the beginning of the season but then what? Is he the capable 3rd line center the Canucks have been looking for?

Kadri and Colborne are huge projects. Kadri isn't the savior of the Leafs, and Colborne is just another big body who hasn't put all the tools together. We have one of those already.

And so we're left with Biggs, D'amigo, and Deschamps. All still cutting their teeth in the minors.

So in truth I never suggested the Leafs had "NOTHING". I'm just saying they don't have anything right now to help us, and the only player who we could use as a cornerstone of this franchise moving forward is most likely Riley. And that's the bottom line. We can draft our own D'amigos and Mckeggs.

By the way I realize you probably aren't a Leafs fan. I'm just messin'.

#1104 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:34 AM

Let's be realistic, I would say 99.673% of trade rumors are different degrees of educated speculation.

Burke wanted FLA and whatever other team to know how low his offer was to keep a bidding war from developing.
Exact some thing can be said about Tallon and his reluctance to give up prospects.
Gillis also played the game by mentioning that there are many teams interested and he was in no rush.

Exactly. Kinda like a pissing match behind the barn.

#1105 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:06 AM

So I take it you're one of "those guys" who is willing to settle for Burkie's table scraps and 'B' prospects (isn't lumping people into categories fun?).

If it makes you feel better, I believe that Calgary has a craptier prospect pool than your precious Leafs. So rest easy because your mediocrity will still be better than whatever roster the Flames will be able to cobble together.

As far as I'm concerned Tman, there is no player on the Leaf roster right now that Burkie will trade and who will push us over the top, and there is no player aside from Riley who has any sort of stellar future potential in their system. Sorry to say it and dash your hopes.

Carter Ashton will not amount to anything. Merely suggesting him as a candidate for Luongo is absurd. I'm fairly confident in that assessment. Same goes for Mckegg.

Then you have young Matt Finn, and Brad Ross. Both haven't played pro hockey. Brad Ross played on a stacked Winterhawks team so I'll reserve my judgement on him once I've seen him play in a more reasonable lineup. Finn just got drafted.

Bozak, Frattin, and Franson aren't prospects anymore in the traditional sense (age). I think even "people like you" would agree with me on that. Franson would be a depth D man on the Canucks in all likelyhood and Bozak might slot in for Kesler at the beginning of the season but then what? Is he the capable 3rd line center the Canucks have been looking for?

Kadri and Colborne are huge projects. Kadri isn't the savior of the Leafs, and Colborne is just another big body who hasn't put all the tools together. We have one of those already.

And so we're left with Biggs, D'amigo, and Deschamps. All still cutting their teeth in the minors.

So in truth I never suggested the Leafs had "NOTHING". I'm just saying they don't have anything right now to help us, and the only player who we could use as a cornerstone of this franchise moving forward is most likely Riley. And that's the bottom line. We can draft our own D'amigos and Mckeggs.

Good, well thought out post. I completely agree with your assessment. O'Reilly or Gardiner is all I would want. All the rest are secondary players or B level prospects which giving up a top goalie for makes no sense. If they are not good enough for a last place Leafs team, they are not even close to a Presidents Team.

#1106 TmanVan

TmanVan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:07 AM

The point I was trying to make is that people will be like trade Luongo for Bjugstad straight up! Then someone could suggest Luongo for Franson, Colborne/Bozak, and a pick (which actually helps us with a third line center and depth on defense) and then everybody laughs and says we want to win now, how does that push us over the top with all that "leaf garbage"

Well how does Bjugstad help us win now, or push us over the top? I would love to have Bjugstad don't get me wrong, and you're right I am not a leafs fan in any way, but I just find peoples comments ironic sometimes.

Florida had a solid season from Theodore and Clemmensen, and still have Markstrom waiting in the wings. Tampa has Lindback, and just drafted Vasilevski, Washington has Holtby and Neuvirth. Who's to say all these teams aren't content with starting the season with what they have before deciding to make a move? If any of their goaltending presents itself as a problem they are not likely to do anything about it for at least 3/4 months into the season. Any of these teams could just say screw this at the asking price for Luongo and play our bluff, knowing that as soon as the season starts we are at more of a disadvantage.

Toronto therefore is really the only desperate team, and if it turns out to be our only option something like Franson, Colborne, 1st would be a good return regardless of the "leaf haters" here. B)

Edited by TmanVan, 18 August 2012 - 09:12 AM.

#1107 The Lock

The Lock

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:36 AM

The point I was trying to make is that people will be like trade Luongo for Bjugstad straight up! Then someone could suggest Luongo for Franson, Colborne/Bozak, and a pick (which actually helps us with a third line center and depth on defense) and then everybody laughs and says we want to win now, how does that push us over the top with all that "leaf garbage"

Well how does Bjugstad help us win now, or push us over the top? I would love to have Bjugstad don't get me wrong, and you're right I am not a leafs fan in any way, but I just find peoples comments ironic sometimes.

Florida had a solid season from Theodore and Clemmensen, and still have Markstrom waiting in the wings. Tampa has Lindback, and just drafted Vasilevski, Washington has Holtby and Neuvirth. Who's to say all these teams aren't content with starting the season with what they have before deciding to make a move? If any of their goaltending presents itself as a problem they are not likely to do anything about it for at least 3/4 months into the season. Any of these teams could just say screw this at the asking price for Luongo and play our bluff, knowing that as soon as the season starts we are at more of a disadvantage.

Toronto therefore is really the only desperate team, and if it turns out to be our only option something like Franson, Colborne, 1st would be a good return regardless of the "leaf haters" here. B)

I agree that Bjugstad could easily be a project and people here don't seem to realise it. Time and time again prospects have proven what they have done all the way up to the AHL does not necessarily mean they'll do the same in the NHL. It's a completely different level of play. Anyone remember Lee Goren? He light it up at the AHL level, never translated it to the NHL. How about Patrik Stefan who was drafted first overall in 1999?

I think in the end is people want Luongo traded, so they see a rumour that involves a good prospect out of Florida (a consistent trading partner) and their eyes light up. Then nothing happens, but their eyes are still adjusting to the dark.
This thread was really just a figment of your imagination...

#1108 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,587 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:46 AM

I agree with this assessment Noheart.

I think the fact that the Leafs started dribbling these lowball rumours out there actually indicated that they were in fact pretty interested in Luongo - not sure how productive it is to play those kind of games however - Gillis isn't a moron, Tallon isn't a moron - using media as a lowball lobby tool imo doesn't really do much to swing negotiations in your favour, but it does give us all stuff to chomp over. The other problem for Florida and Toronto is that if they wind up collaborating to try to keep the price low, the team that winds up out of the loop also happens to be in close competition with the other - not inconceivable that Florida and Toronto could wind up fighting it out for an 8th seed - so those keep it cheap tactics aren't without a downside for the team that doesn't cut a deal.

Edited by oldnews, 18 August 2012 - 12:10 PM.

#1109 NuckMan

NuckMan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:48 AM

I agree with you when you say that the Leafs are the most obvious trade partner. Problem is, like I said, their prospect pools isn't as intriguing as Florida's (to me at least).

If they truly are our only option I'd prefer to see Bozak or Frattin coming the other way instead of Franson in the deal you mentioned. Franson, Colborne and a 1st doesn't cut it in my estimation (earlyish-mid first + project forward + 6/7 Dman).

Keep in mind that Lack is the wild card here. If he isn't ready for the show we might need a goalie coming back to us.

I also agree that Bjugstad isn't the player to push us over the top. Nor am I saying that he should be the ONLY piece coming back to us in a trade. I just think he has more upside than most Leaf prospects and would be a nice piece to fit in somewhere in the future. He was a player I was hoping the Canucks would draft that year, however unlikely it was that he would slide to us.

I just don't want Gillis to settle, and I'm glad he is taking his time and standing his ground.

#1110 cripplereh

cripplereh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:22 PM

If I was MG I'd call Burke out and say "anymore lowball offers will not be hurd by the TML and untill they are ready to make a reasonable offer then I wont talk to them as theres still many teams interested and I am looking hard at them all which means something might be done quick" Thats should scare Burke a bit into making a better offer.
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.