Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2402 replies to this topic

#91 LanghorneslimRules

LanghorneslimRules

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:07 PM

Uhh no. Doan is WAY more likely to come here then Semin. And have you talked to Dale Tallon himself and heard him say Weiss will not come here? Please enlighten me

Have you talked to Semins agent and know he is not coming to Vancouver?

Same argument!

#92 LanghorneslimRules

LanghorneslimRules

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:08 PM

Not sure if the first part is English.

I don't know that any more than you know Doan for sure won't come here. But it would be very unusual for a 28 year old elite player to sign a 1 year contract. Especially when a 35 year old player is able to get a 3 or 4 year contract.

Very simple (much like you) Doan overvalued Semin undervalued has stigma.

#93 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,233 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:10 PM

Have you talked to Semins agent and know he is not coming to Vancouver?

Same argument!

Alright...

But that doesn't prove your point about Semin being more likely to come here than Doan.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#94 LanghorneslimRules

LanghorneslimRules

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:12 PM

Alright...

But that doesn't prove your point about Semin being more likely to come here than Doan.

Doesn't prove your argument that Weiss will come here or doan or raymond will be traded!

You have no crystal ball. I have no crystal ball. You pull crap out of your ass I say crap to start an argument based on the same absurd principals.

#95 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,828 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:13 PM

If you were Semin, who would you choose? The best player in the world or the best playmakers in the world?
Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!!

#96 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,112 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:38 PM

http://www2.tsn.ca/w...stid=11655&id=1

Dreger was on TSN radio today, he talked briefly about Luongo.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but Dregers comments about Luongo going public is garbage IMO. "He needs to get his hands dirty" "he needs to go public to get this thing rolling". How is Luongo talking publicly about wanting out going to help his cause? All it will do is hurt Gillis negotiating power, I don't understand why Dreger would suggest this.

Anywhoo, give it a listen if you want.

EDIT: Apparently Lu's brother-
Leo Luongo@louie8413

Dreger still hoping Luongo and the Canucks will muck it up, and in the end, accept a garbage deal from the Leafs. Give it up Dreger. Not taking Komisarek or any other Leafs spare parts or garbage contracts. Want an elite franchise goaltender? Get real and make a realistic offer. The bad contract card, salary dump angle and any other wishful Leaf lowballs fail. Do we really care if the Leafs are impatient? No. Who wants to deal with them anyway?

#97 Wilbur

Wilbur

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:54 PM

Dreger still hoping Luongo and the Canucks will muck it up, and in the end, accept a garbage deal from the Leafs. Give it up Dreger. Not taking Komisarek or any other Leafs spare parts or garbage contracts. Want an elite franchise goaltender? Get real and make a realistic offer. The bad contract card, salary dump angle and any other wishful Leaf lowballs fail. Do we really care if the Leafs are impatient? No. Who wants to deal with them anyway?

Everyone talks about our fanbase being entitled. We are one notch below the average Leaf's fan sense of entitlement. All the players should end up there. And if it takes a trade, rival GM's should be tickled pink to take the players they don't want/like anymore. It's because of selective memory for guys like Komisarek. They remembered the value he had when he originally signed with Toronto (after Montreal's nice little run) and not what he is now....

Edit: And if there's ever a way to measure the sanity of a fanbase, just look at the trade proposals. What's better:
1) Raymond, Ballard, and a 1st for a marquee player

or

2) McArthur, Komisarek, and a 2nd for a marquee player

I rest my case (I think)

Edited by Wilbur, 23 July 2012 - 09:57 PM.

#98 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,074 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:57 PM

Ya, it was a bizarre comment from him IMO. I couldn't understand why he would even suggest that. He didn't suggest that Nash do the same a few weeks ago, so why Lu? He just seems like he's trying to start some drama.

The funny thing is, Lus brothers tweet basically states a team 'not' on Lu's list made an offer. The offer was obviously good enough that Gillis talked to Lu about it - which he must have declined. So Dregers saying there isn't much of a market, yet we know at some point Florida, Chicago, Toronto and 'mystery team' were interested. 4 teams is a pretty good market. Sometimes it seems like Dregers doing Burkes bidding - although I don't think it's that uncommon. I think GMs often give these 'insiders' info for various self serving reasons.

#99 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,233 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:00 PM

Doesn't prove your argument that Weiss will come here or doan or raymond will be traded!

You have no crystal ball. I have no crystal ball. You pull crap out of your ass I say crap to start an argument based on the same absurd principals.

Doan not coming here, Raymond no to little value, Weiss plays center and has an extremely low cap hit, will not be traded. Realistic options for nucks are arnott and sykora and maybe a one year deal for semin at 5. Doan will get multiyear offers even though he is old.

Good to know that everything here was pulled out of your a$$ too then. :lol:

What I made was called a proposal. I never said that any of those players would come here, it's just a proposal. You're the one that started pulling stuff out of your a$$ :picard:

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#100 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,112 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:07 PM

Ya, it was a bizarre comment from him IMO. I couldn't understand why he would even suggest that. He didn't suggest that Nash do the same a few weeks ago, so why Lu? He just seems like he's trying to start some drama.

The funny thing is, Lus brothers tweet basically states a team 'not' on Lu's list made an offer. The offer was obviously good enough that Gillis talked to Lu about it - which he must have declined. So Dregers saying there isn't much of a market, yet we know at some point Florida, Chicago, Toronto and 'mystery team' were interested. 4 teams is a pretty good market. Sometimes it seems like Dregers doing Burkes bidding - although I don't think it's that uncommon. I think GMs often give these 'insiders' info for various self serving reasons.

Dreger is Nonis' cousin - he's been doing the Leaf's bidding/lobbying on the Luongo trade all along - started off suggesting Komisarek (salary dump) would have to be included in a deal. The proposals that have come out of Toronto are unrealistic (they are dealing with the wrong GM if they are expecting stupidity, charity, or for MG to bend to their politickiing) - a tandem is a better option... as is dealing with a different trade partner. Toronto imo is the worst option for the Canucks and Luongo. If they want Luongo, they will have to stop running him down publicly, and stop lowballing MG. Regardless, I am glad the Canucks are being patient and hope Toronto excludes themselves in the end.

Edited by oldnews, 23 July 2012 - 10:10 PM.

#101 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,112 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:20 PM

Everyone talks about our fanbase being entitled. We are one notch below the average Leaf's fan sense of entitlement. All the players should end up there. And if it takes a trade, rival GM's should be tickled pink to take the players they don't want/like anymore. It's because of selective memory for guys like Komisarek. They remembered the value he had when he originally signed with Toronto (after Montreal's nice little run) and not what he is now....

Edit: And if there's ever a way to measure the sanity of a fanbase, just look at the trade proposals. What's better:
1) Raymond, Ballard, and a 1st for a marquee player

or

2) McArthur, Komisarek, and a 2nd for a marquee player

I rest my case (I think)

I agree entirely. The Leafs are riding some ridiculous contradictions on this one.

They desperately need a veteran goaltender but want to make an offer that wouldn't land them Ballard and Raymond. I wouldn't give them Ballard and Raymond for Komisarek and McArthur (combined 7.75 cap hit and McArthur is a UFA next year..).

They keep running Luongo down - ie. he's worth only a salary dump, his contract blah distortions blah - but what is obvious is that they want him, but expect the Canucks to hurt themselves in order to give them Luongo. Delusional. Like spoiled brats that think they are the center of the universe.

#102 Wilbur

Wilbur

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:02 AM

I agree entirely. The Leafs are riding some ridiculous contradictions on this one.

They desperately need a veteran goaltender but want to make an offer that wouldn't land them Ballard and Raymond. I wouldn't give them Ballard and Raymond for Komisarek and McArthur (combined 7.75 cap hit and McArthur is a UFA next year..).

They keep running Luongo down - ie. he's worth only a salary dump, his contract blah distortions blah - but what is obvious is that they want him, but expect the Canucks to hurt themselves in order to give them Luongo. Delusional. Like spoiled brats that think they are the center of the universe.

Yep.
Sad thing is Leafs could probably pull off this trade if they offered a good chunk of youth that doesn't HAVE to include Gardiner. Leafs don't have a ton of can't miss prospects but they do have a fair bit of youth that would look good on the Canucks depth chart. 2-4 of these guys (depending on the quality) might be enough to do it. Gillis has the choice to then let them develop or use them as poker chips.

#103 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,204 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:46 AM

Seems fairly self-explanatory.

Hating a player that has done so much for this franchise is not self-explanatory. It's foolish.
Posted ImagePosted Image
---------------------------------------------------

#104 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,924 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:12 AM

I hate Dreger.

All he's been doing is stir up trouble and making all these crappy proposals for Luongo.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#105 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:51 AM

Who the hell cares about Dreger, he has an opinion so what!

I do believe the value has slightly dropped or basically stayed the same. We can all say what we want, the bottom line is, a player is only worth what a team(s) willing to pay. If that price is less valuable than what we got then no sale!

At this point Gillis may need to take this into the season to drive up his value, and we all know what Luongo's October is like!

Edited by Noheart, 24 July 2012 - 01:52 AM.

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#106 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:55 AM

Who the hell cares about Dreger, he has an opinion so what!

I do believe the value has slightly dropped or basically stayed the same. We can all say what we want, the bottom line is, a player is only worth what a team(s) willing to pay. If that price is less valuable than what we got then no sale!

At this point Gillis may need to take this into the season to drive up his value, and we all know what Luongo's October is like!

I hope Gillis dumps him before the season.
In case other teams never noticed, Luongo's octobers are notoriously bad. If anything, keeping him around into the season will drive down his value. Unless of course Cory plays every game.

#107 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:28 AM

I agree entirely.  The Leafs are riding some ridiculous contradictions on this one.

They desperately need a veteran goaltender but want to make an offer that wouldn't land them Ballard and Raymond.  I wouldn't give them Ballard and Raymond for Komisarek and McArthur (combined 7.75 cap hit and McArthur is a UFA next year..).

They keep running Luongo down - ie. he's worth only a salary dump, his contract blah distortions blah - but what is obvious is that they want him, but expect the Canucks to hurt themselves in order to give them Luongo.  Delusional.  Like spoiled brats that think they are the center of the universe.

Like i said early on with Weber possibly going to Philly and now Nash going to the Rangers some teams in the east will look at ways to compete with them. Goaltending is the x factor in this. The pressure on Burke to even make the playoffs just got ramped up even higher. The longer Gills waits the more value Lou has. BTW frack the leafs i hope he ends up anywhere but Toronto.

#108 stuckinontario

stuckinontario

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:51 AM

If Luongo doesn't wind up on an Eastern team, I'll be shocked. The longer this offseason goes on, the tougher next season looks to be for Eastern goaltenders, and I can just see Doan, Ryan, and Semin all winding up in the East along with Nash and Weber (I think he'll be traded to Philly 'cause if we're all just waiting for Nashville to match it would've been done by now).

I'm loving the fact that Gillis is being so patient, 'cause with no other bona fide starters floating around looking for new digs, eventually some Eastern GM is gonna wake up and realize they should bite the bullet and cough up something closer to what Gillis is looking for.

As an aside, would it really be so bad if Luongo stuck around until the trade deadline, anyways? He and Schneider have been leaning more and more towards a tandem than a starter/backup pairing in recent years and there's been NO sign of friction between the two of them (unless you count winning the Jennings together a couple years ago "friction" but I can live with that kind of stress)... I think they're both consummate professionals who can forget about who's 1st/2nd and simply concentrate on stopping pucks until the right deal comes along for Gillis to pull the trigger on, and even though I'm a born pessimist, I just don't see this turning into a case of Luongo (or Schneider, for that matter) becoming a cancer in the locker room in the meantime...

Edited by stuckinontario, 24 July 2012 - 07:03 AM.

Posted Image
Canucks brass, send scouts out to Ptbo!

#109 LanghorneslimRules

LanghorneslimRules

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:16 AM

Good to know that everything here was pulled out of your a$$ too then. :lol:

What I made was called a proposal. I never said that any of those players would come here, it's just a proposal. You're the one that started pulling stuff out of your a$$ :picard:

Face palming, when people get upset when the other person makes more sense. The fact is the argument is based exactly the same and when you merely switch the players and make the same argument people get all upset. This just in DeNiro says E4 sidney crosby for keith ballard raymond and a first!

#110 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:30 AM

I have a feeling Luongo will end up in Florida and we won't get much in return. By that I mean, people here on CDC will be screaming we got fleeced. But if you look at the market, it probably was fair (i.e. Howson did well with his hands tied).

Either that, or Luongo has to widen his preferred destinations and perhaps we get more value. Unlikely, but we could get a lot more if Lu was open to the idea of going to Columbus.

I'm guessing we hear something sometime around August?

#111 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:44 AM

Why is anyone surprised that Dreger says there isn't much of a market for Luongo? Hasn't that always been what has been coming out of reputable sources like him and Bob MacKenzie? And really, how big could the market be if he is still a Canuck?

Gillis would have moved him by now if he could have. Having him on the roster isn't great. It has meant that the backup goalie spot is still a question mark. The cap space is still a question mark. Having Luongo on the books makes plays for guys like Weber and Doan a little tougher.

And really isn't it going to be Toronto in the end anyway? Why play games? Florida doesn't need Luongo so if they do offer for him it won't be for what you guys want. I think Dreger is right in saying that the market is basically the Maple Leafs and nobody else. So does Gillis really have a lot of leverage if in the end he only has one trading partner.

I think he just needs to make the move, take what he can get and deal with the heat for a little bit. He put himself in this situation with offering Luongo this very long deal and then deciding Luongo is no longer the best goaltender on the team two short years later.

#112 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:27 AM

The reality that Burke is faced with is his roster needs help in a lot of places. Trading partners want talent in return. He has to steal a deal to come out ahead. It is the same situation with theCBJ who actually were dealing from a little better position. Bottom line tho was that Howson dealt Nash for roster depth and IMO did well in the deal. The Laffers simply pursue a strategy of tweaking rather than a tear down and full rebuild. They are slowly burning away at their fan goodwill.

Things are slow at TSN during the summer. Any effort to prompt any kind of action gains viewership. TSN (Toronto Sports Network) always view the world from that environment. Dreger has the added incentive of family connection. I am sure that even they realize the situation that Burke is in.

#113 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,571 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

The reality that Burke is faced with is his roster needs help in a lot of places. Trading partners want talent in return. He has to steal a deal to come out ahead. It is the same situation with theCBJ who actually were dealing from a little better position. Bottom line tho was that Howson dealt Nash for roster depth and IMO did well in the deal. The Laffers simply pursue a strategy of tweaking rather than a tear down and full rebuild. They are slowly burning away at their fan goodwill.

Things are slow at TSN during the summer. Any effort to prompt any kind of action gains viewership. TSN (Toronto Sports Network) always view the world from that environment. Dreger has the added incentive of family connection. I am sure that even they realize the situation that Burke is in.

I don't think Howson had any advantage on MG with Nash..........Nash had a longer list of teams he was willing to go to, but his contract is much bigger and less value for the caphit.......throw in that a top (or near top) level starter who will guarantee your team at least 30-40 wins is a more valuable than a 70 point lw and I thinkMG has a more valuable asset than Howson did.

#114 hockeyfan90

hockeyfan90

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:25 AM

Rumour_Express@InsiderLegit

The Luongo deal is now Matthias and a 1st, Canucks close to closing the deal.

#115 winthecup

winthecup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

I have a feeling Luongo will end up in Florida and we won't get much in return. By that I mean, people here on CDC will be screaming we got fleeced. But if you look at the market, it probably was fair (i.e. Howson did well with his hands tied).

Either that, or Luongo has to widen his preferred destinations and perhaps we get more value. Unlikely, but we could get a lot more if Lu was open to the idea of going to Columbus.

I'm guessing we hear something sometime around August?

This guy: https://twitter.com/InsiderLegit (an unreliable and invalid source), has said he has heard Shawn Matthias and a 1st rounder is the deal on the table from the Panthers.....he is also saying the deal from the MapleLeafs is Macarthur, Komisarek and a 1st (if that one is true i would rather just take the rumoured lacavalier offer from the Lightning).....anyways, between the two rumoured deals I prefer the Panthers one as Macarthur is a UFA at the end of the season and Matthias has the potential to be a potential 20 goal scoring powerforward.

#116 winthecup

winthecup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:31 AM

Rumour_Express@InsiderLegit
The Luongo deal is now Matthias and a 1st, Canucks close to closing the deal.

I like this one better than the Leafs offer....it leaves more cap room and Matthias is a current 6'4, 10 goal per season centre with the potential to be a 20+ goal scorer.

#117 djsandwiches

djsandwiches

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:34 AM

Would it be such a bad idea to keep our duo tandem in tact until at least Christmas or the trade deadline? That way we could ride two good goalies on a 50/50 split (whcih would still mean more games for Schnieds), then showcase for a better trading position. Lu made it public and other GMs now know this. MG has to keep his poker face, and hold on to his valuable asset instead of being pressured into making a deal this city might regret.

On a completely different level, why not make a big offer/push to get Evander Kane in a Canuck uniform? We could inlcude Lu, Ray, Ball, and/or perhaps some picks...just thinking outside the crease.

Dj Sandwiches
Cheers and salutations folks!
I play rough and have an opinion. Let us play with thoughts and words, and not get our sticks up beyond this binary forum. If you can play you can play is trending out on the West Siiiiiieeeeeeed of Canada. Come in peace but prepare to battle and debate. So shut up and stop wasting time reading my every word of my signature....cuz I just won the face-off while you got trapped into my lyrical vortex of fun fluffy fun von deutsch funland. Tag you are it....trade you Lu for Bolland and a prospect plus a 1st.

#118 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:36 AM

You can tell @insiderlegit is legit because he has "legit" in his handle.

#119 winthecup

winthecup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:40 AM

2 Legit to Quit?

#120 djsandwiches

djsandwiches

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

He's sooooo Legit that he can't quit; nevertheless, the 80s are officially over and Mc Hammer knows nothing about puck.
Cheers and salutations folks!
I play rough and have an opinion. Let us play with thoughts and words, and not get our sticks up beyond this binary forum. If you can play you can play is trending out on the West Siiiiiieeeeeeed of Canada. Come in peace but prepare to battle and debate. So shut up and stop wasting time reading my every word of my signature....cuz I just won the face-off while you got trapped into my lyrical vortex of fun fluffy fun von deutsch funland. Tag you are it....trade you Lu for Bolland and a prospect plus a 1st.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.