Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2402 replies to this topic

#1171 The Lock

The Lock

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:51 AM

I think if Gillis gets us a couple of decent prospects I'd be happy. Florida (or whatever team we'd be trading with) would be doing us a favour in a way by taking Luongo's contract off the books. Most of the references people have provided aren't even close to the situation we have now (Varlamov? really?).

Reality check: the situation for us is not as favourable for us as it is for Florida. Gillis may be playing it down but there is still a "need" for us to sell Luongo. Florida does not have to buy Luongo from us. We can still wait things out to make Florida sweat a bit, but at the end of the day circumstances are reality.
This thread was really just a figment of your imagination...

#1172 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:59 PM

I think if Gillis gets us a couple of decent prospects I'd be happy. Florida (or whatever team we'd be trading with) would be doing us a favour in a way by taking Luongo's contract off the books. Most of the references people have provided aren't even close to the situation we have now (Varlamov? really?).

Reality check: the situation for us is not as favourable for us as it is for Florida. Gillis may be playing it down but there is still a "need" for us to sell Luongo. Florida does not have to buy Luongo from us. We can still wait things out to make Florida sweat a bit, but at the end of the day circumstances are reality.

I disagree, I don't think we're in dire need to get rid of him like some suggest. As our team sits now we can get to the playoffs and probably contend if we're going in hot. With that in mind I think Lu understands the situation and he might not get dealt till mid season. Some teams are going to feel the heat once their good team is falling out of the playoff picture. I think a good fit at the deadline might be Tampa. They've got the high end talent to do some playoff damage if they get a solid #1 and some decent depth players. I think if their top players are all playing at the top of their game, Stevie might make a push for Lu. I could see Toronto doing the same but I don't think they can go as far in the playoffs

#1173 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:49 PM

I disagree, I don't think we're in dire need to get rid of him like some suggest. As our team sits now we can get to the playoffs and probably contend if we're going in hot. With that in mind I think Lu understands the situation and he might not get dealt till mid season. Some teams are going to feel the heat once their good team is falling out of the playoff picture. I think a good fit at the deadline might be Tampa. They've got the high end talent to do some playoff damage if they get a solid #1 and some decent depth players. I think if their top players are all playing at the top of their game, Stevie might make a push for Lu. I could see Toronto doing the same but I don't think they can go as far in the playoffs

and I disagree with your take on it
(1) too much money tied up in goalies\
(2) way too much distraction in locker room, team needs to move on
(3) Lou's value drops if Schneider plays really well and Lou is backup, teams don't pay 5 million plus for a backup
(4)Lou was average last year

#1174 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:33 PM

Enough with the riot references already. That had nothing to do with real Nucks fans and less to do with the people of Vancouver. A bunch of thugs and no-minds that should have been read the riot act and then taken down with rubber bullets.

As for booing, no, Vancouver fans do not regularly boo their players. What they do is sell out every game and have for years. they buy merchandise and make 60+ page threads about player trades etc.

FYI - Boston fans booed their team last year, and that was after they won the cup a few months earlier. Montreal go booed by their fans and Toronto, fans were showing up with paper bags on their heads.

Vancouver is a hockey microscope but if you love the game, it's a great place to play.

Okay, no "real" Canucks fans took part in either the '94 riot or the '11 riot. Gotchya.

As for booing, as a season ticket holder I have frequently heard the crowd booing Luongo after goals against, and cheering when Luongo gets pulled, throughout the past three seasons and it's coming from the upper bowl where I sit not the lower bowl where "the suits" sit.

After awhile that wears on everyone.

Edited by Millerdraft, 21 August 2012 - 03:35 PM.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#1175 Jason Garrison

Jason Garrison

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:39 PM

Okay, no "real" Canucks fans took part in either the '94 riot or the '11 riot. Gotchya.

As for booing, as a season ticket holder I have frequently heard the crowd booing Luongo after goals against, and cheering when Luongo gets pulled, throughout the past three seasons and it's coming from the upper bowl where I sit not the lower bowl where "the suits" sit.

After awhile that wears on everyone.

true.... i was at home crying... true story
Posted Image
Credit to Henrik Sedin

My PS3 NHL 13 Be A GM Online League. LINK: http://forum.canucks...two-spots-left/

#1176 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:11 PM

true.... i was at home crying... true story

I see. I guess it's only 18-year old National Water Polo Team members with everything to lose that make stupid decisions.

The other 18-year old "real" Canucks fans with little to nothing to lose would never find themselves making a stupid decision.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#1177 Pistachios

Pistachios

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:43 PM

Put it this way, Luo is a top level goalie with a reasonable contract. Any team looking to improve their goaltending position has to take a serious look at Luo. Any team that plays the waiting game with VAN risks losing out.

MG doesn't hold all the cards, but his bargaining position isn't as weak like some suggest. MG will get the best deal he can and let's just leave it at that.

/thread

G4fSut.gif

#1178 Aestheticon67

Aestheticon67

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:44 PM

you have to take the good with the bad. If I'm getting paid like that you can boo me all day long. Lu is a weakhearted quitter, I get that people identify with that but I don't, if you don't have a winning mindset get off my team.
Daniel Sedin when not playing for his national team, passes it up to Pavol Demitra gathering speed through the neutral zone to battle in deep, a quick centering feed to Henrik Sedin as he dazzles the D and slides it under Patrick Lalime. Dany Sabourin stones Sami Kapanen who tried the wraparound but was denied by the paddle down. Sidney Crosby was taught how to win at hockey by Ziggy Palffy.

#1179 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

and I disagree with your take on it
(1) too much money tied up in goalies\
(2) way too much distraction in locker room, team needs to move on
(3) Lou's value drops if Schneider plays really well and Lou is backup, teams don't pay 5 million plus for a backup
(4)Lou was average last year

Agree too disagree then

1. I agree that is too much to have tied up in goalies. However I don't see it hurting our chances of making the playoffs this year. We still have a very strong team that will contend untill we get the right complimentary player in return to go into the playoffs.

2. Lu and Cory are both professionals and understand they might have to share the bench for a bit untill gillis gets the return he wants. The only distracted people will be the crybabys on CDC and the dumb journalists trying to make controversy out of nothing.

3. I don't see Lu's value dropping. He's still the best goalie availible this season and everyone knows what he is capable of. It's obvious we're moving forward with the younger goalie with huge potential. Lu being on the bench doesn't mean he sucks, it means we're moving forward with Schnieder. Once teams get a sense of how their season is going and what their playoff chances are, the offers will start to come.

4. He has his usual bad starts, it's no secret that is what brings his sv% and gaa down but he's still far from being an average goalie. He's still I great goalie and any GM would be stupid to think he's done. The guy has a huge desire to make another run at the cup with a fresh start and hopefully in a less pressure market. He is far from done and Tim Thomas and Marty Broduer are proof that you can play into your late 30s. Goalies have their ups and downs, counting Lu out now is rediculous.

I respect your concerns but I'm with gillis on this one, waiting till midseason shouldn't be a problem.

#1180 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:54 PM

Agree too disagree then

1. I agree that is too much to have tied up in goalies. However I don't see it hurting our chances of making the playoffs this year. We still have a very strong team that will contend untill we get the right complimentary player in return to go into the playoffs.

2. Lu and Cory are both professionals and understand they might have to share the bench for a bit untill gillis gets the return he wants. The only distracted people will be the crybabys on CDC and the dumb journalists trying to make controversy out of nothing.

3. I don't see Lu's value dropping. He's still the best goalie availible this season and everyone knows what he is capable of. It's obvious we're moving forward with the younger goalie with huge potential. Lu being on the bench doesn't mean he sucks, it means we're moving forward with Schnieder. Once teams get a sense of how their season is going and what their playoff chances are, the offers will start to come.

4. He has his usual bad starts, it's no secret that is what brings his sv% and gaa down but he's still far from being an average goalie. He's still I great goalie and any GM would be stupid to think he's done. The guy has a huge desire to make another run at the cup with a fresh start and hopefully in a less pressure market. He is far from done and Tim Thomas and Marty Broduer are proof that you can play into your late 30s. Goalies have their ups and downs, counting Lu out now is rediculous.

I respect your concerns but I'm with gillis on this one, waiting till midseason shouldn't be a problem.

Nice to have a sane discussion :) The only thing I disagree with you is on Lous current ability. Unless he fixes whats wrong with his basic game he will not improve or find consistancy from game to game. He played great in 1010-11 when he adhered to the teaching off coach Melanson. Since then, playoffs included , he has regressed by going back to the teaching of francois Allaire which does not seem as affective as in early years read(too pedictable). Not sure why he did that but his stats last year indicate it was an error in judgement !

#1181 TmanVan

TmanVan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:22 PM

Nice to have a sane discussion :) The only thing I disagree with you is on Lous current ability. Unless he fixes whats wrong with his basic game he will not improve or find consistancy from game to game. He played great in 1010-11 when he adhered to the teaching off coach Melanson. Since then, playoffs included , he has regressed by going back to the teaching of francois Allaire which does not seem as affective as in early years read(too pedictable). Not sure why he did that but his stats last year indicate it was an error in judgement !

He hasn't played good in 1000 years.... time to go!

:bigblush:

#1182 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:52 PM

Ya I hear what your saying, he definitely dropped a bit last year. I still didn't think he was terrible but def capable of better. I still see him as an elite goalie. I think he'll still be good untill he retires. I'd put a bit of the blame on the cup run hangover just as I would to our early bow out of the playoffs. Even though we won the pres trophy you could see the guys were tired at the end of the season and that high level of play just wasn't attainable for anyone on the team. Except Lapierre lol I don't think he ever gets tired.

I see Lu regaining form just fine. I think GMs probably see the same thing. He isn't some one season wonder he's been a great goalie throughout his career and guys like that are a safer bet then a Jose theodore IMO.

The only problem I would have as a GM is his meltdowns in the playoffs. If I was a fla GM though I'd be willing to take the chance that putting him in a less pressure market and close to home he'd have a real good chance to flourish

#1183 Islandboss

Islandboss

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:45 PM

Ya I hear what your saying, he definitely dropped a bit last year. I still didn't think he was terrible but def capable of better. I still see him as an elite goalie. I think he'll still be good untill he retires. I'd put a bit of the blame on the cup run hangover just as I would to our early bow out of the playoffs. Even though we won the pres trophy you could see the guys were tired at the end of the season and that high level of play just wasn't attainable for anyone on the team. Except Lapierre lol I don't think he ever gets tired.

I see Lu regaining form just fine. I think GMs probably see the same thing. He isn't some one season wonder he's been a great goalie throughout his career and guys like that are a safer bet then a Jose theodore IMO.

The only problem I would have as a GM is his meltdowns in the playoffs. If I was a fla GM though I'd be willing to take the chance that putting him in a less pressure market and close to home he'd have a real good chance to flourish

Personal perspective on lu regaining form.He needs to find a form of playing where he stays in his butterfly better and off his stomach.Part of the problem is his large skate size it inhibits backwards skating part of the reason, Cory is a better shoot out goalie. Cory can match the players speed better when fading back into the net.
Any shots on Lu from 10 feet out and farther and he dosen't have to worry about dekes.His size and glove hand and style there is no one better in the league at stopping perimeter shots.which makes up 95% of the game.
On screens he needs to get lower down as low as it takes to look through the legs.Hard at his height maybe a little martial arts would help in all these points.Maybe since he has so much blade on his skates maybe try a bit of profile on the back end to improve backwards mobility.
A statistician is a person who draws a mathematically precise line from an unwarranted assumption to a foregone conclusion.

Kelly is a great gal

#1184 CanucksCupHopes

CanucksCupHopes

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:59 PM

Lp

#1185 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,166 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:55 AM

The risk you run keeping Lu into the season is that in fact he does not play well. What will AV do, sit Schneider and play Lu out of a possible slump so that his trade value increases? The nice thing about the hockey business is that managements always think that a player might maximize his abilities in new surroundings, especially if where he comes from was a negative enviroment.

#1186 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:15 AM

The risk you run keeping Lu into the season is that in fact he does not play well. What will AV do, sit Schneider and play Lu out of a possible slump so that his trade value increases? The nice thing about the hockey business is that managements always think that a player might maximize his abilities in new surroundings, especially if where he comes from was a negative enviroment.

I think if he gets traded to one of the Florida teams and he's out of the Vancouver spotlight, his best years are yet to come.

#1187 dariusop2012

dariusop2012

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:20 AM

Last year our entire team coasted to the playoffs and had their asses handed to them by LA

#1188 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:26 AM

There's risk in everything.

However, it should be noted that the best stretch of goaltending that the Canucks have seen in recent memory, was the 10 or so games after Daniel was injured when Lou and Corey basically alternated starts.

My personal belief is that faced with the choice between keeping both goaltenders, or taking a low-ball offer just to rid the team of salary and "distraction", the former is the way to go.

Look at it this way: There's also a possibility that Luongo plays lights out in his starts, thus driving his value up...

Edited by RUPERTKBD, 22 August 2012 - 10:27 AM.

Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#1189 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:31 PM

As much as I would like to see Luongo traded before the season starts, it may be in our best interest to keep him for the first 1/4 of the season. I am positive there will be many teams with goal tending issues that were unforseen. Some players don't match up to their hype. A good example is Toronto. After losing a few games to poor goal tending the fans will be chanting loud and clear to make a deal. Some teams will have injuries and others will figure out they will not make it anywhere without a star like Luongo.
Posted Image

#1190 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,385 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:11 PM

As much as I would like to see Luongo traded before the season starts, it may be in our best interest to keep him for the first 1/4 of the season. I am positive there will be many teams with goal tending issues that were unforseen. Some players don't match up to their hype. A good example is Toronto. After losing a few games to poor goal tending the fans will be chanting loud and clear to make a deal. Some teams will have injuries and others will figure out they will not make it anywhere without a star like Luongo.

I think Mike Gillis is doing that. HIs stock will rise in the season, based on 2 things.

Luongo is due to have a rebound season. There's no way he can be as bad as he was last year.

Teams will see what he can reallly do, will draw interest.

On top of teams that are struggling and are close to a playoff spot, will also be interested. Right now some teams probably even told Gillis, "I will speak to you during the season." Because if some of these teams are good enough they will talk to Mike. I personally wouldn't mind waiting until the season starts.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#1191 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

I think Mike Gillis is doing that. HIs stock will rise in the season, based on 2 things.

Luongo is due to have a rebound season. There's no way he can be as bad as he was last year.

Teams will see what he can reallly do, will draw interest.

On top of teams that are struggling and are close to a playoff spot, will also be interested. Right now some teams probably even told Gillis, "I will speak to you during the season." Because if some of these teams are good enough they will talk to Mike. I personally wouldn't mind waiting until the season starts.

Ok I;m all ears ! What makes you think Lou is due to have a rebound year and won;t be as bad as last year ? Unless you have a definitive answer....its just wishful thinking with nothing to indicate he will. Ya can;t roll the dice on this one ! I'd like to see Lou improve but not sure he will based on what I saw last season.

#1192 Hockey!?

Hockey!?

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:34 PM

Ok I;m all ears ! What makes you think Lou is due to have a rebound year and won;t be as bad as last year ? Unless you have a definitive answer....its just wishful thinking with nothing to indicate he will. Ya can;t roll the dice on this one ! I'd like to see Lou improve but not sure he will based on what I saw last season.

You'd like to see him improve yet you throw him under the bus any chance you're given. I'm certain you're familiar with the term hypocrite. It's always a pleasure reading your posts, given your lack of knowledge regarding the position of goaltending.

Edited by Hockey!?, 22 August 2012 - 08:34 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#1193 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,385 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:37 PM

Personally I dont think he can get any worse. He's all star goalie that struggled last season. That's all. No need to hate. He also wasn't that bad, it's just at times Schneider made him look like a rookie. Unless your a crazy unreasonable Luongo hater. Also team Canada tryouts is next year.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#1194 Kovalsnipe

Kovalsnipe

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:39 PM

Gillis offered Howden + 2nd, trying to bump that up to a 1st. That is probably the highest offer the Canucks are going to get for Luongo, but other teams have offered a lot more (Lu won't waive).

#1195 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:47 PM

Gillis offered Howden + 2nd, trying to bump that up to a 1st. That is probably the highest offer the Canucks are going to get for Luongo, but other teams have offered a lot more (Lu won't waive).

And... are we supposed to take your word for it? Is that your professional opinion, or just plain fact?

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#1196 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:12 PM

Moobile

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#1197 Pasific Coluseum

Pasific Coluseum

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:37 AM

IMO Luongo will be traded to a dark team like the Flyers. If Florida really wanted Luongo, they would have made a trade already.

Thats the most idiotic statement I've read in awhile! Luongo will be traded to Florida. Anyone who thinks otherwise is pretty much in denial. I'd bet my relationship to my gf that he's going to Florida. Disagree? Ok, how about we wager $500 on it. I'll even lay you 3-1 on the bet. HE'S GOING TO FLORIDA!!! Would not be surprised if the deals all but consumated!

#1198 Samuel Påhlsson

Samuel Påhlsson

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:46 AM

Thats the most idiotic statement I've read in awhile! Luongo will be traded to Florida. Anyone who thinks otherwise is pretty much in denial. I'd bet my relationship to my gf that he's going to Florida. Disagree? Ok, how about we wager $500 on it. I'll even lay you 3-1 on the bet. HE'S GOING TO FLORIDA!!! Would not be surprised if the deals all but consumated!

Was your goal to follow up an idiotic statement with one of your own. If so bravo!

SYvE9NH.gif

#1199 morrissex95

morrissex95

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:22 AM

Luongo boosts Schneider's trade value and vice versa. I'd keep them both until next season, at that point Luongo will be worth a 1st + Prospect + Roster Player. Schneider will have Rick Nash-like trade value as well.
Posted Image

#1200 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:19 AM

Luongo boosts Schneider's trade value and vice versa. I'd keep them both until next season, at that point Luongo will be worth a 1st + Prospect + Roster Player. Schneider will have Rick Nash-like trade value as well.

wooo dubinsky...

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.