Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2402 replies to this topic

#1201 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:38 AM

Gillis offered Howden + 2nd, trying to bump that up to a 1st. That is probably the highest offer the Canucks are going to get for Luongo, but other teams have offered a lot more (Lu won't waive).

So if it ends up being Howden and a 2nd and then looking at the Ballard trade;

Lu, Grabner and Bernier

For

Ballard, Oreo, Howden and a 2nd

Ouch! (though I do like the Booth and Higgins trades)

Edited by sampy, 23 August 2012 - 11:18 AM.

#1202 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,273 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:18 PM

wooo dubinsky...

Dubinsky is the exact type of the player the Canucks should be adding to their existing roster.
Posted Image

#1203 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,354 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:31 PM

Gillis offered Howden + 2nd, trying to bump that up to a 1st. That is probably the highest offer the Canucks are going to get for Luongo, but other teams have offered a lot more (Lu won't waive).

Did this rumor come out of your ass? If Howden and a 2nd round pick is all were gonna get, I rather just keep Luongo. What the hell is this? The offers are decreasing in value?

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#1204 theminister

theminister

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,168 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

Dubinsky is the exact type of the player the Canucks should be adding to their existing roster.

Exactly.Which makes me wonder.... what would people think of a straight up deal for Brooks Laich? The Caps have Backstrom, Ribiero, Johansson, Perreault and Beagle down the middle without him.

small.pngNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEsmall.png

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#1205 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,020 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:10 PM

Exactly.Which makes me wonder.... what would people think of a straight up deal for Brooks Laich? The Caps have Backstrom, Ribiero, Johansson, Perreault and Beagle down the middle without him.

Brooks Laich would be an AWESOME 3rd line center. Maybe we can get him in a Luongo trade or a seperate trade?

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#1206 CanucksCupHopes

CanucksCupHopes

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:16 PM

Lp

#1207 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,285 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:08 PM

Luongo is due to have a rebound season. There's no way he can be as bad as he was last year.

??????

Luongo's stats weren't great, but Luongo played very well last year. I thought he played a lot better than the season prior when he had what was statistically the best season of his career. Luongo started playing more of a hybrid style by coming out aggressively once in awhile and trusting his instincts than staying back all the time like he did the year before. He also held his glove hand higher and it seemed like his glove hand was back to being what it used to be.

A lot of people on this board think Luongo went down from last season, but I don't see it that way. I think people's memories have been contorted by what happened in the playoffs where Schneider took over, but Luongo was the main reason we were winning a bulk of the games we were winning this season by letting in one less goal than the other team - whereas last season, we won by scoring a bunch more than other teams.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#1208 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:20 AM

??????

Luongo's stats weren't great, but Luongo played very well last year. I thought he played a lot better than the season prior when he had what was statistically the best season of his career. Luongo started playing more of a hybrid style by coming out aggressively once in awhile and trusting his instincts than staying back all the time like he did the year before. He also held his glove hand higher and it seemed like his glove hand was back to being what it used to be.

A lot of people on this board think Luongo went down from last season, but I don't see it that way. I think people's memories have been contorted by what happened in the playoffs where Schneider took over, but Luongo was the main reason we were winning a bulk of the games we were winning this season by letting in one less goal than the other team - whereas last season, we won by scoring a bunch more than other teams.

+1

Not even a huge fan but he had one of his best years I thought. Professionally I felt he had his best year; dealing with "the controversy" - corys great play and generally the way he assumed more ownership for when he didn't play well.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#1209 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:32 AM

??????

I guess thats what this board is for...to cast your opinions...whether they make sense or not ! His stats were way down which equates to a poorer season. His change in style(other than raised glove) was not effective. Glad you think he looked good. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder !

#1210 RO8!!

RO8!!

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:51 AM

I guess thats what this board is for...to cast your opinions...whether they make sense or not ! His stats were way down which equates to a poorer season. His change in style(other than raised glove) was not effective. Glad you think he looked good. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder !

And 0.919s% and 2.41 gaa is way down? Couple seasons ago when he was at what 0.913 i could agree with you it wasn't looking good then. But in the end who cares about optics, goals are goals, all I care about is winning and Loui took us to game 7 in the SCF for the 1st time in 17years and is still playing well. Players have ups and downs in their careers and when you have a player that has had the career long consistency like Loui I don't know how you can justify dumping him for cap reasons like some people have suggested.

And before you argue Loui hasn't won anything but games, ask Islanders or Oilers fans if they wouldn't mind some wins. Hard to appreciate what you have until is is gone I guess.

"Hey this milk is bad. Maybe tomorrow it'll be better."

Canucks NYG Celtics Fan

#1211 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,020 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:13 AM

If a 31-14-8 record isn't good to you I don't know what is.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

#1212 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:56 AM

53-0-0 or BUST!!

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#1213 Hax

Hax

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:02 PM

I know a couple Caps fans who would consider Laich untouchable in the first place, let alone that they don't need a keeper with the apparent emergence of Holtby.

#1214 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:41 PM

Which is actually 31 and 22 !! On a First placed team? hardly Stellar and GAA of 2.41 up from 2.11 when he was playing a better shutdown style. 14th and 16th in the league in goaltending stats and a dud against LA. If you had any technical knowledge about goaltending you might understand my position better but betting most of you don;t !

#1215 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,020 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:47 PM

Which is actually 31 and 22 !! On a First placed team? hardly Stellar and GAA of 2.41 up from 2.11 when he was playing a better shutdown style. 14th and 16th in the league in goaltending stats and a dud against LA. If you had any technical knowledge about goaltending you might understand my position better but betting most of you don;t !

If that was Schneider's record you'd be praising him. And Luongo was anything BUT a dud in the LA series. If it weren't for him we probably would've lost the first two games by 5+ instead of 4-2 in both of them.

Now take your Luongo hate glasses off and realize the fact that Luongo is an elite goalie that any team needing a starter would love to have.

#1216 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

Luongo is 33 with 10 years left on his contract. Yummy.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#1217 theminister

theminister

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,168 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

<p>

I know a couple Caps fans who would consider Laich untouchable in the first place, let alone that they don't need a keeper with the apparent emergence of Holtby.

I'm not surprised that they would and it was my interest to see what the relative value of Luongo vs Laich was in the eyes of CDCers. I disagree that Was will definitely go with Holtby all the way as it would be a risky proposition if he follows the development of a Mason or Raycroft. It's much less likely he becomes Cam Ward though he might. I can really see Was being interested as they would still have the 5 year window in Lui's contract to trade him, pretty much exactly the same length as Laich's deal.

Edited by theminister, 24 August 2012 - 04:10 PM.

small.pngNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEsmall.png

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#1218 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:39 PM

If that was Schneider's record you'd be praising him. And Luongo was anything BUT a dud in the LA series. If it weren't for him we probably would've lost the first two games by 5+ instead of 4-2 in both of them.

Now take your Luongo hate glasses off and realize the fact that Luongo is an elite goalie that any team needing a starter would love to have.

Luongo was pretty good in the first game but he was very much a dud in the second, look at the numbers. Now on the other hand, if Cory had started the first two games, based again on the numbers, we mightv'e won one or even both of those first two games.

#1219 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:59 PM

If Schneider played Like Lou I would not be high on him either but , at this point in time, hes a lot better, in every category than Lou

#1220 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:24 PM

Luongo is 33 with 10 6 years left on his contract. Yummy.

Fixed

The last 4 are just there to circumvent the cap. How Canucks fans who are members of Canucks forums still not know this is beyond belief.

Luongo's contract is $6.714 mill per year for 6 years with a cap hit of $5.33 mill per year.

#1221 cdubuya

cdubuya

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:06 PM

So if it ends up being Howden and a 2nd and then looking at the Ballard trade;

Lu, Grabner and Bernier

For

Ballard, Oreo and a 2nd

Ouch! (though I do like the Booth and Higgins trades)

Fixed. Howden is on both sides of the equation and therefore cancels out.
Posted Image

#1222 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:45 PM

Depends on how we use him, 4.5M caphit which I'm not a huge fan of, I wouldn't trade Luongo for him, but we'd need to put in some important pieces and a capdump for the Caps to be interested

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#1223 I_AM_CANUCKIAN

I_AM_CANUCKIAN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:57 PM

Luongo will win his starting job back with the Canucks this year. F the haters.

Posted Image

I AM CANUCKIAN

#1224 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,285 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:33 PM

As a huge Luongo fan, I hope that would be the case and that we stick with Luongo and trade Cory. But looking at it right now, it seems highly unlikely that will happen.

Luongo is a proven commodity, while Schneider is not. That's the only thing Luongo has going for himself at this moment. When Cory comes out as the starter and strings together games, teams will obviously scout him more heavily with larger sample sizes and try to expose his weaknesses (ie, Jared Stoll's series-winner in game 5 where Schneider cheats off the post on the blocker side). Also, Schneider will be facing tougher opponents on a more regular basis (not saying he was sheltered--he played some huge games last season--but he will be doing a lot more of that than last year surely, if he is the starter).

It's Schneider's job to lose right now, and I don't think he will. But if he does, then it'll be because teams find some of Schneider's weaknesses (possible) which will bring his numbers back to where he should be and/or Schneider tires out (very unlikely as he is a very well-conditioned athlete).

I do worry slightly about Schneider because he isn't 100% proven and that our window to win with the current core is small now. But he has shown that he is capable and was better than Luongo in a smaller sample--and to become proven, you gotta start somewhere. If he proves to continue to be better with a larger sample, then I'm all for it. It would be sad to see Luongo leave though.

Edited by Dasein, 25 August 2012 - 06:37 PM.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#1225 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:58 PM

As a huge Luongo fan, I hope that would be the case and that we stick with Luongo and trade Cory. But looking at it right now, it seems highly unlikely that will happen.

Luongo is a proven commodity, while Schneider is not. That's the only thing Luongo has going for himself at this moment. When Cory comes out as the starter and strings together games, teams will obviously scout him more heavily with larger sample sizes and try to expose his weaknesses (ie, Jared Stoll's series-winner in game 5 where Schneider cheats off the post on the blocker side). Also, Schneider will be facing tougher opponents on a more regular basis (not saying he was sheltered--he played some huge games last season--but he will be doing a lot more of that than last year surely, if he is the starter).

It's Schneider's job to lose right now, and I don't think he will. But if he does, then it'll be because teams find some of Schneider's weaknesses (possible) which will bring his numbers back to where he should be and/or Schneider tires out (very unlikely as he is a very well-conditioned athlete).

I do worry slightly about Schneider because he isn't 100% proven and that our window to win with the current core is small now. But he has shown that he is capable and was better than Luongo in a smaller sample--and to become proven, you gotta start somewhere. If he proves to continue to be better with a larger sample, then I'm all for it. It would be sad to see Luongo leave though.

Good honest and supportive post.

A true fan post.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#1226 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:57 PM

Just to clarify Stolls goal. He was a right hand shot who scored in the top left corner. If he had been a left hand shot, yes, there was a ton of room but for a right hand shot, the puck is about 4 feet outside the line that Stoll's eyes could see. It was pretty much a perfect shot to beat Scneids as it did . Looking at the amount of room from ice level from behind the puck is a very different view that we all saw on TV. I would have preferred he offered more room on glove side but thats not how it happened. It just wasn;t as glaring as people made it out to be. In general however, he plays his angles much etter than Lou because he gets there quicker.

#1227 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:17 AM

Then lose it in the playoffs
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#1228 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,101 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:43 AM

It does take a leap of faith to move Lu over Schneider. I support such a move because it makes the Canucks younger, unloads a big contract but more than anything it should give the Canucks some quality talent in return. It is all about weighing the options. One might argue that CS would return more but even if it amounted to the equivalent of one more 1st rounder would it be worth it?

#1229 I_AM_CANUCKIAN

I_AM_CANUCKIAN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:07 PM

Then lose it in the playoffs

I guess you are one of the people I was talking about? I also suppose you understand my response to you?

Moving along, I hope we start with the tandem rather than giving Doan 6 million? Let's let the season (if there is a season) play out a bit and not give away Vancouver's best goalie of all time for a couple picks a year after he took up to game 7 of the SCF's? FFS...

Posted Image

I AM CANUCKIAN

#1230 Sensemaker

Sensemaker

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

It does take a leap of faith to move Lu over Schneider. I support such a move because it makes the Canucks younger, unloads a big contract but more than anything it should give the Canucks some quality talent in return. It is all about weighing the options. One might argue that CS would return more but even if it amounted to the equivalent of one more 1st rounder would it be worth it?

Considering the fact that Schneider has no trade restrictions included in his contract, as well as the latter being perfectly structured.

Considering the fact that Schneider could be dealt to any team, including a non-playoff team,

Considering the fact that the returns could include and not necessarily singularly a top 5-10 1st round pick,

Then yes, it could be worth it.

Edited by Sensemaker, 26 August 2012 - 12:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.