The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

That is so ridiculous, don't know why people think that...Luongo is not a star in people's eyes (o/w he'd be getting a cr*p load of offers). Therefore how can he be the answer when a team gets "desperate" ?

Realistically if we start the season with Luongo, he likely only gets traded to a team like Chicago as a playoff tuneup. If a young team like Florida or Toronto are interested in strengthening their goalie position, they do it NOW because realistically they are trying to have the best regular season possible (so management and fans see progress, etc), and maybe make the playoffs. They will fail in the playoffs with or w/o Luongo so why trade for him giving up assets 3/4 of the way into the season? If Florida trades for him at the deadline their offer would go DOWN not up.

And thats if they get "desperate".....

If their goalies play ok:

They most probably stand pat at the deadline knowing they wont do much in the playoffs anyway, and if anything will probably want to tank the remainder of the season to move up in the draft-so it would be a stupid idea to get Luongo at that point, cuz it would hurt the tank and could cost picks/prospects.

If their goalies play stellar:

Well....bad news for us

If Luongo isn't traded by the start of the season, we are in another Hodgson situation again, and this time its public so we can say goodbye to even a crappy return of a "4th line plug." We need this trade waaay more than Florida or T.O

I just met a fellow Canadian who's been living and working in Australia for 15 years. we started talking Olympics...and got around to Luongo.

It made me realize how choked I'm getting we may be shipping him out.

It was so amazing to see our Vancouver goalie win gold in his own building. Luongo is legendary.

I miss him already.

GM's like Burke, Yzerman, Tallon, Bowman, Howson, Snow, Holmgren, Tambi, and others are going into this season with big questions marks in goal. Each GM is hoping that they have adequate enough goaltending, which is why they are not offering a lot for Lu (and contract). At least one of these teams wills falter in the first few monthes which will open the door for MG. At this point Lu will probably get tired of playing backup and be open to being traded to more than one team.

Carrying Lu into the season is bound to pay off when some team's goaltending flounders which is sure to happen. Van's risk is the media circus that will exploit the two goalie situation. Let alone paying close to $10 mil in the position by not trading Lu Van doesn't seriously address their issues in the top six and leaves their 3rd line center as a gamble. The NW Div is more competitve because of Minnie but Van could proably still make a decent showing. If Van doesn't sign Doan or doesn't move Lu then then their will be trouble in Vanland.

The trade value of Luongo isn't great due to his age and contract length. Trading Schneider will reap the biggest rewards. So...Maybe trade Schneider for a bonafide blue-chip can't miss NHL centre prospect (ie. first line centre potential) and a roster player. Cuz I see the Sedins slowing down a bit and Nucks having no one to fill the 1C. Kesler is great but I don't think he's capable of being the #1C (doesn't seem to pass or make use of his wingers).

And isn't Lack progressing similar to Schneider? So if all goes well...in 3yrs Lack would be capable of being a starter.

Schneider to...

TB for Connelly + 1st 2013

CBJ for Johansen + 1st 2013

Meh...

The trade value of Luongo isn't great due to his age and contract length. Trading Schneider will reap the biggest rewards. So...Maybe trade Schneider for a bonafide blue-chip can't miss NHL centre prospect (ie. first line centre potential) and a roster player. Cuz I see the Sedins slowing down a bit and Nucks having no one to fill the 1C. Kesler is great but I don't think he's capable of being the #1C (doesn't seem to pass or make use of his wingers).

And isn't Lack progressing similar to Schneider? So if all goes well...in 3yrs Lack would be capable of being a starter.

Schneider to...

TB for Connelly + 1st 2013

CBJ for Johansen + 1st 2013

Meh...

So...let me get it right...trade off the goalie who is almost 1/2 a goal a game better than Lou? Who"s SP is better? Who gets paid a lot less? Who is younger? And technically miles better? Who has handled everything the Canucks have thrown at him? Did no one ever tell you that you build a team from the goal out? Although Lou can still play at a high level, he can't carry Schneiders hockey bag at this point in time !

Yes but how does a blue chip prospect or high end player help us in the playoffs? By that I mean, if we trade Cory and continue with Luongo, is this new player going to be able to score a double hat-trick when Luongo has one of his "off games"?

It is true that Luongo can still play at a high level. In the playoffs however you can never tell when he will fall off right into the toilet. I for one am tired of that inconsistency, let's keep Cory!

Take the prospects and run with it. Holding on to him next season is going to be a distraction for the team. There is also a chance he could get injured or just play bad. They should definitely trade him before training camp.

Take the prospects and run with it. Holding on to him next season is going to be a distraction for the team. There is also a chance he could get injured or just play bad. They should definitely trade him before training camp.

Sounds like your impatience is talking ;p

History will show Luongo is durable and consistent. I can't promise he won't be a distraction but I can say I'd be very surprised they can't operate in the same fashion as they have been for the past 2 years.

If the new CBA has an amnesty option that'd be a huge plus to his value.

Besides, a 41/41 split will only "prove further" Schneider's worth around the league and for Luongo, it could save his career with rest kind of like some players taking a year off. With patience, Schneider brings in instant in your face secondary scoring at the trade deadline and Luongo shuts the door. He wins a Cup and all this ends.

Let's not make Kypreos a prophesizing saint in "Luongo will never win a Cup". He sure won't with Florida or the Leafs. He just might with the Canucks.

So...let me get it right...trade off the goalie who is almost 1/2 a goal a game better than Lou? Who"s SP is better? Who gets paid a lot less? Who is younger? And technically miles better? Who has handled everything the Canucks have thrown at him? Did no one ever tell you that you build a team from the goal out? Although Lou can still play at a high level, he can't carry Schneiders hockey bag at this point in time !

Archived