The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

Why is it unfair to Lou? :sick:

He signed a FIFTY million dollar front loaded contract. In the first year, he was the highest paid hockey player in the world. What's unfair about asking him to compete for playing time when he is cashing in regardless...

If Lou fronts up and competes, it will be easier to write a ticket where he wants!

It isn't fair to Luongo but I think it might be advantageous to wait until the season starts before trading him... As soon as a Bryzgalov or a Howard goes down... The market value for Luongo skyrockets. And when the Leafs suck 15 games in (as usual) Burke will re-think Gardiner to save his job.

Gillis is trying to trade a goalie whose stats were 14th and 16th in the League on a first place team ! Thats an average goalie...so...all you can hope for is an average player in return. There is no guarentee Lou will return to previous form !! Gm's are not looking at what Lou did years ago...they will look at least year...and last year was mediocre !

Why trade him now, when his value is at an all time low (despite having a great year), when you know it will increase in the future.

There are a ton of teams that are entering the season with an unproven/shakey goaltender, and that have high expectations to win this season.

Toronto: Reimer?...

Washington: Holtby/Neuvirth

Tampa: Lindback

NJ: Brodeur (age)

Florida: Theodore/Clemmenson/Markstrom

Chicago: Crawford

Ottawa: Anderson?

Not saying all these guys won't play well, because it's likely a bunch of them will. But what's also VERY likely is that a few of these guys struggle hard. Just imagine if Washington or Tampa get off to a 5-10 start with struggling goaltending. Those teams have superstar players in their prime years, the demand to go out and get a goalie will skyrocket big time.

If I'm Gillis, I laugh at every call from opposing GMs trying to convince me I have an untradable asset that I should be giving away for very little. Please. This is an allstar goaltender, one of the most consistent in the past 5 years,with 2 or 3 seasons of elite level left, who's locked up for a long time. He's a tremendous athlete, and has a burning fire to win. That sort of attitude is contagious, and can influence everyone on the team. Both Luongo and Schneids are true professionals, both want to win, and by holding out for a bit and playing out a 1A 1B situation for a few months they are giving both Vancouver a better return and chance to win, and allowing Luongo to have a larger group of teams to choose from; all while giving Vancovuer the best goalie tandem in the game and one of the best in the past decade.

People want to think we have a problem here in Van with our goalies, they can think again. :)

WOW Luo is still a canuck.If it was up to me I'd be calling hard to whatever teams Luo wants to play with and ask for players and ask for counters, then use that against other teams till two are close then get it done!I have no doubt that MG has made a call or two, but I think he needs to do more so we can get this behind us.Luo wants out as he knows Cory is younger and better, so MG get him traded.Far as Doan goes I think MG should be calling him once a week and just asking him how hes doing and so on, make him see hes wanted and he will be respected here.

Why trade him now, when his value is at an all time low (despite having a great year), when you know it will increase in the future.

There are a ton of teams that are entering the season with an unproven/shakey goaltender, and that have high expectations to win this season.

Toronto: Reimer?...

Washington: Holtby/Neuvirth

Tampa: Lindback

NJ: Brodeur (age)

Florida: Theodore/Clemmenson/Markstrom

Chicago: Crawford

Ottawa: Anderson?

Not saying all these guys won't play well, because it's likely a bunch of them will. But what's also VERY likely is that a few of these guys struggle hard. Just imagine if Washington or Tampa get off to a 5-10 start with struggling goaltending. Those teams have superstar players in their prime years, the demand to go out and get a goalie will skyrocket big time.

If I'm Gillis, I laugh at every call from opposing GMs trying to convince me I have an untradable asset that I should be giving away for very little. Please. This is an allstar goaltender, one of the most consistent in the past 5 years,with 2 or 3 seasons of elite level left, who's locked up for a long time. He's a tremendous athlete, and has a burning fire to win. That sort of attitude is contagious, and can influence everyone on the team. Both Luongo and Schneids are true professionals, both want to win, and by holding out for a bit and playing out a 1A 1B situation for a few months they are giving both Vancouver a better return and chance to win, and allowing Luongo to have a larger group of teams to choose from; all while giving Vancovuer the best goalie tandem in the game and one of the best in the past decade.

People want to think we have a problem here in Van with our goalies, they can think again. :)

Archived