The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

Buddy,

We were up 2-0 in the series this is what happened

1. We get shelled in game 3 thanks to a bad team effort and terrible goaltending.

2. AV makes the mistake of going back to lou in game 4, dance with the girl you brought mentality but given lou's inconsistency 20/20 says it wasn't smart, should have switched it up and gone with CS in a non elimination game, plus he's from boston, maybe he comes back with a big game.

3. Lou lets in four, now let me talk about those 4, because when/ how those go in matter, actually only 2 matter the most.

a. First goal breakaway through the five hole..ok, adv to shooter give him that. BUT, what this means is the next one can't be easy, can't go in, especially with Thomas standing on his head, if you want to win you HAVE to match him. Later that period, Ryder, on an innocent play, where he had nothing, was alone, was pinched off at the top of the circle, just throws one at the net, Lou goes down for no reason on the floater and it goes over his glove. 2-0 game over series tied and momentum shifted.

4. Game 7. First goal lucky knuckler, ok..happens. Same issue as above. Next goal can't go in. He lets in the wrap around from Marchand, that two nights before chirped Thomas about being able to stop. 2-0 game over. I was there, I saw the Nuck's heads drop, they knew they were done, Thomas wasn't going to let in 3 and who knew if Lou would stop more.

Its not how many you save its when. Lou has shown a consistent ability to let in bad goals and bad times. This impacts the team, he was the reason chicago got back in the series in the first round.

Wake up, do you think the only reason teams are more interested in Schnieder is age and salary? If Lou was the best of the two wouldn't the whole league be banging down the door for him?

Lou lovers really have to wake up. He is not the goalie he was when he came here, he did alot for us, yes, doesn't deserve the vitreol, but he is not the better goalie and did indeed cost us the stanley cup.

Trading Luongo will be a big mistake! Your trading one of the best goalies in the league so a goalie who we "think" is better than Luongo will win us a cup. I want this team to win a cup with Lou and only with Luo! Winning a cup with Luongo will feel way better than winning a cup with Schnieder.

Where's Smith's Cup? That's right.

Now to Quick. Did you see the team he had in front of him? Put Luongo in place of Quick and Luongo easily wins a Cup with that L.A. Team.

The Canucks were not as stacked as L.A. Currently is, nor are they as of now. There are two glaring problems: secondary scoring and toughness.

Who besides Rome would ever have dared dish a hit like Brown? How about Philly's exiled? They were the face of the franchise for years. Kopitar? Doughty and Mitchell? That team is STACKED.

No but I mean STACKED.

The reason LA won the CUP was because of Quick. Suggesting that Lu could have done the same thing is a stretch as much as you love the guy. LA had size, a decent forecheck and Quick in net. Their scoring was less than mediocore and their defence gave up a lot of chances.

Ian Esplen's explanation;

http://www.hockeybuz...nd-TO/164/46083

I was asked the other day by Beatle_John what I thought Ek meant when he said that there may be a more creative way to deal Luongo that would include some outside out the box thinking. Here is my best guess as to what Ek meant by that.

Currently, the Rumouered asking price for Luongo is something along the lines of a roster player and a first round pick, with maybe a prospect in there to.

Currently, the rumoured offers are not close to that and generally involve Vancouver taking back a bad contract.

I believe that Burke and the Maple Leafs want Luongo more than any other team out there. Lu to T.O. just makes so much sense. I also believe that this creative way is involving these two teams and Mike Komisarek and his agent as well.

Brian Burke has been a hugely outspoken since the new/old CBA was signed that he felt that teams should be able to take on an pay parts of a player's contract in order to make deals easier for teams. I believe that this outside the box option is centred around this type of a set up. Here is how they make it work.

Step 1- Toronto buys out Mike Komisarek and takes roughly a 1.17 million hit for the next four years (7 million X 0.667, spread over 4 seasons).

Step 2- Mike Gillis and the Canucks agree that they will offer Komisarek and fair contract of say 10-12 million over four years, with a NTC when he becomes a UFA. This has been worked out with Komisarek and his agent before the buyout takes place.

For this to work you would need all parties to be on board but I don't think it would be much of a problem. Komisarek gets a small raise and an additional two years out of the deal, so I could see him being on board. Vancouver gets Komisarek at a more reasonable cap number and Toronto moves Komisarek's contract for the most part off the books while doing what Burke believes teams should be able to do.

Luongo then gets moved to Toronto in a deal that is a little closer to what Gillis is asking for.

Say…

A conditional first round pick (condition being that the pick is lower than 18, if not it will be a 2nd and a 2014 4th rd pick), Ashton, and Bozak

For

Raymond and Luongo

Ballard then gets moved out for a pick or prospect

Essentially it becomes Luongo for the type of deal Gillis wants and Raymond for Komisarek.

Vancouver's lineup looks like

Sedin/Sedin/Burrows

Booth/Kesler/Kassian

Hansen/Bozak/Higgins

Lapierre/Malhotra/Pinizzotto

Ebbett/Volpatti

Hamhuis/Bieksa

Edler/Garrison

Komisarek/Alberts (or one of the kids)

Tanev (Maybe he plays with Garrison and Komi plays with Edler)

Schneider

Lack

I like our Defense as is,

Edler - Garrison

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Ballard - Tanev

Alberts

Callups:

Connauton - Sauve - Corrado - McNally

Leave Ballard alone this year, we have the cap, he played great at the end of the last season/playoffs, and we can focus adding to the forward positions.

Plus a good performance this year could mean that he drives up his price the next offseason.

Edler - Garrison

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Ballard - Tanev

Alberts

Callups:

Leave Ballard alone this year, we have the cap, he played great at the end of the last season/playoffs, and we can focus adding to the forward positions.

Plus a good performance this year could mean that he drives up his price the next offseason.

I read it on this very forum, see quote. Plus, it wasn't Eklund and it amused me as to how fictional it was. If I complained about anything, It'd be you and people like you that give credit to the guy just because he said "as early as" or "90%" or "E4" or whatever out clause they throw in there for you to defend them.

I'm not into arguing either, obviously this piggy likes the mud. Out.

Edler - Garrison

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Ballard - Tanev

Alberts

Callups:

GarthButcher5, on 16 August 2012 - 07:28 PM, said:

Ian Esplen's explanation;

http://www.hockeybuz...nd-TO/164/46083

I was asked the other day by Beatle_John what I thought Ek meant when he said that there may be a more creative way to deal Luongo that would include some outside out the box thinking. Here is my best guess as to what Ek meant by that.

Currently, the Rumouered asking price for Luongo is something along the lines of a roster player and a first round pick, with maybe a prospect in there to.

Currently, the rumoured offers are not close to that and generally involve Vancouver taking back a bad contract.

I believe that Burke and the Maple Leafs want Luongo more than any other team out there. Lu to T.O. just makes so much sense. I also believe that this creative way is involving these two teams and Mike Komisarek and his agent as well.

Brian Burke has been a hugely outspoken since the new/old CBA was signed that he felt that teams should be able to take on an pay parts of a player's contract in order to make deals easier for teams. I believe that this outside the box option is centred around this type of a set up. Here is how they make it work.

Step 1- Toronto buys out Mike Komisarek and takes roughly a 1.17 million hit for the next four years (7 million X 0.667, spread over 4 seasons).

Step 2- Mike Gillis and the Canucks agree that they will offer Komisarek and fair contract of say 10-12 million over four years, with a NTC when he becomes a UFA. This has been worked out with Komisarek and his agent before the buyout takes place.

For this to work you would need all parties to be on board but I don't think it would be much of a problem. Komisarek gets a small raise and an additional two years out of the deal, so I could see him being on board. Vancouver gets Komisarek at a more reasonable cap number and Toronto moves Komisarek's contract for the most part off the books while doing what Burke believes teams should be able to do.

Luongo then gets moved to Toronto in a deal that is a little closer to what Gillis is asking for.

Say…

A conditional first round pick (condition being that the pick is lower than 18, if not it will be a 2nd and a 2014 4th rd pick), Ashton, and Bozak

For

Raymond and Luongo

Ballard then gets moved out for a pick or prospect

Essentially it becomes Luongo for the type of deal Gillis wants and Raymond for Komisarek.

Vancouver's lineup looks like

Sedin/Sedin/Burrows

Booth/Kesler/Kassian

Hansen/Bozak/Higgins

Lapierre/Malhotra/Pinizzotto

Ebbett/Volpatti

Hamhuis/Bieksa

Edler/Garrison

Komisarek/Alberts (or one of the kids)

Tanev (Maybe he plays with Garrison and Komi plays with Edler)

Schneider

Lack

There isn't a single player I would want from the Leafs except for Morgan Riley and they aren't going to trade him so I'm hoping for Bjugstad. Also, Komi sucks. My $0.02

You're one of "those guys" eh? It's almost as if people around here like to discredit Toronto just to fit in.

What about Carter Ashton, Tyler Bozak, Cody Franson, Nazem Kadri, Joe Colborne, Tyler Biggs, Matt Finn, Jerry D'amigo, Matt Frattin, Brad Ross, Nicolas Deschamps, Greg Mckegg, and then include draft picks into the mix and Toronto still has NOTHING??

Archived