The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

Everyone talks about our fanbase being entitled. We are one notch below the average Leaf's fan sense of entitlement. All the players should end up there. And if it takes a trade, rival GM's should be tickled pink to take the players they don't want/like anymore. It's because of selective memory for guys like Komisarek. They remembered the value he had when he originally signed with Toronto (after Montreal's nice little run) and not what he is now....

Edit: And if there's ever a way to measure the sanity of a fanbase, just look at the trade proposals. What's better:

1) Raymond, Ballard, and a 1st for a marquee player

or

2) McArthur, Komisarek, and a 2nd for a marquee player

I rest my case (I think)

I agree entirely. The Leafs are riding some ridiculous contradictions on this one.

They desperately need a veteran goaltender but want to make an offer that wouldn't land them Ballard and Raymond. I wouldn't give them Ballard and Raymond for Komisarek and McArthur (combined 7.75 cap hit and McArthur is a UFA next year..).

They keep running Luongo down - ie. he's worth only a salary dump, his contract blah distortions blah - but what is obvious is that they want him, but expect the Canucks to hurt themselves in order to give them Luongo. Delusional. Like spoiled brats that think they are the center of the universe.

Who the hell cares about Dreger, he has an opinion so what!

I do believe the value has slightly dropped or basically stayed the same. We can all say what we want, the bottom line is, a player is only worth what a team(s) willing to pay. If that price is less valuable than what we got then no sale!

At this point Gillis may need to take this into the season to drive up his value, and we all know what Luongo's October is like!

Who the hell cares about Dreger, he has an opinion so what!

I do believe the value has slightly dropped or basically stayed the same. We can all say what we want, the bottom line is, a player is only worth what a team(s) willing to pay. If that price is less valuable than what we got then no sale!

At this point Gillis may need to take this into the season to drive up his value, and we all know what Luongo's October is like!

I agree entirely.  The Leafs are riding some ridiculous contradictions on this one.

They desperately need a veteran goaltender but want to make an offer that wouldn't land them Ballard and Raymond.  I wouldn't give them Ballard and Raymond for Komisarek and McArthur (combined 7.75 cap hit and McArthur is a UFA next year..).

They keep running Luongo down - ie. he's worth only a salary dump, his contract blah distortions blah - but what is obvious is that they want him, but expect the Canucks to hurt themselves in order to give them Luongo.  Delusional.  Like spoiled brats that think they are the center of the universe.

If Luongo doesn't wind up on an Eastern team, I'll be shocked. The longer this offseason goes on, the tougher next season looks to be for Eastern goaltenders, and I can just see Doan, Ryan, and Semin all winding up in the East along with Nash and Weber (I think he'll be traded to Philly 'cause if we're all just waiting for Nashville to match it would've been done by now).

I'm loving the fact that Gillis is being so patient, 'cause with no other bona fide starters floating around looking for new digs, eventually some Eastern GM is gonna wake up and realize they should bite the bullet and cough up something closer to what Gillis is looking for.

As an aside, would it really be so bad if Luongo stuck around until the trade deadline, anyways? He and Schneider have been leaning more and more towards a tandem than a starter/backup pairing in recent years and there's been NO sign of friction between the two of them (unless you count winning the Jennings together a couple years ago "friction" but I can live with that kind of stress)... I think they're both consummate professionals who can forget about who's 1st/2nd and simply concentrate on stopping pucks until the right deal comes along for Gillis to pull the trigger on, and even though I'm a born pessimist, I just don't see this turning into a case of Luongo (or Schneider, for that matter) becoming a cancer in the locker room in the meantime...

I have a feeling Luongo will end up in Florida and we won't get much in return. By that I mean, people here on CDC will be screaming we got fleeced. But if you look at the market, it probably was fair (i.e. Howson did well with his hands tied).

Either that, or Luongo has to widen his preferred destinations and perhaps we get more value. Unlikely, but we could get a lot more if Lu was open to the idea of going to Columbus.

I'm guessing we hear something sometime around August?

Why is anyone surprised that Dreger says there isn't much of a market for Luongo? Hasn't that always been what has been coming out of reputable sources like him and Bob MacKenzie? And really, how big could the market be if he is still a Canuck?

Gillis would have moved him by now if he could have. Having him on the roster isn't great. It has meant that the backup goalie spot is still a question mark. The cap space is still a question mark. Having Luongo on the books makes plays for guys like Weber and Doan a little tougher.

And really isn't it going to be Toronto in the end anyway? Why play games? Florida doesn't need Luongo so if they do offer for him it won't be for what you guys want. I think Dreger is right in saying that the market is basically the Maple Leafs and nobody else. So does Gillis really have a lot of leverage if in the end he only has one trading partner.

I think he just needs to make the move, take what he can get and deal with the heat for a little bit. He put himself in this situation with offering Luongo this very long deal and then deciding Luongo is no longer the best goaltender on the team two short years later.

I agree entirely. The Leafs are riding some ridiculous contradictions on this one.

They desperately need a veteran goaltender but want to make an offer that wouldn't land them Ballard and Raymond. I wouldn't give them Ballard and Raymond for Komisarek and McArthur (combined 7.75 cap hit and McArthur is a UFA next year..).

They keep running Luongo down - ie. he's worth only a salary dump, his contract blah distortions blah - but what is obvious is that they want him, but expect the Canucks to hurt themselves in order to give them Luongo. Delusional. Like spoiled brats that think they are the center of the universe.

The reality that Burke is faced with is his roster needs help in a lot of places. Trading partners want talent in return. He has to steal a deal to come out ahead. It is the same situation with theCBJ who actually were dealing from a little better position. Bottom line tho was that Howson dealt Nash for roster depth and IMO did well in the deal. The Laffers simply pursue a strategy of tweaking rather than a tear down and full rebuild. They are slowly burning away at their fan goodwill.

Things are slow at TSN during the summer. Any effort to prompt any kind of action gains viewership. TSN (Toronto Sports Network) always view the world from that environment. Dreger has the added incentive of family connection. I am sure that even they realize the situation that Burke is in.

I have a feeling Luongo will end up in Florida and we won't get much in return. By that I mean, people here on CDC will be screaming we got fleeced. But if you look at the market, it probably was fair (i.e. Howson did well with his hands tied).

Either that, or Luongo has to widen his preferred destinations and perhaps we get more value. Unlikely, but we could get a lot more if Lu was open to the idea of going to Columbus.

I'm guessing we hear something sometime around August?

Would it be such a bad idea to keep our duo tandem in tact until at least Christmas or the trade deadline? That way we could ride two good goalies on a 50/50 split (whcih would still mean more games for Schnieds), then showcase for a better trading position. Lu made it public and other GMs now know this. MG has to keep his poker face, and hold on to his valuable asset instead of being pressured into making a deal this city might regret.

On a completely different level, why not make a big offer/push to get Evander Kane in a Canuck uniform? We could inlcude Lu, Ray, Ball, and/or perhaps some picks...just thinking outside the crease.

Dj Sandwiches

Archived