The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

Can you provide the quotes then? I just tried some googling and here's what I got:

From Sportsnet on June 1st (http://www.sportsnet...hockey_hearsay/)

Gillis on The Team 1040, late July (http://fansspeakout....ead.php?tid=800) :

Gillis to the National Post, June 20th (http://sports.nation...ir-goaltenders/) :

and here's Gilman to the Toronto Sun, June 21st (http://www.torontosu...ngo-looms-large) :

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any saying that Luongo was definitely going....

More sense making. Good stuff.

Regarding the posters who argue that Luongo dug his own grave...

I think L.A. was deemed unbeatable due to the constant turnovers and sudden counter rushes. So in comes Schneider in order to increase his value.

Concerning Luongo: saying whatever helps the team when asked if he would waive his NTC might also include getting being replaced in favor of Schneider so as to showcase him and increase his value.

Also, his comments from Las Vegas sounds like he really doesn't give a flying f**k about the media and their stance.

Come game time, Schneider will be given ample games so as to make other GMs salivate at the mouth and therefore overpay in a trade.

If he can only play well when he has "fan support" then he isnt an elite goalie.. and hes not someone you back your team with.. and only further proves that he needs to be traded.. your grasping at straws..

i know it sucks to have your favorite player traded away from your favorite team.. but this is getting kinda sad...

He was under scrutiny during the Olympics for questionable goals against, and shaky games. He was far from the reason we won gold.

I am no Luongo hater, although I would prefer to keep Schneider, and I definitely don't subscribe to ridiculous fantasies about players being involved in tricking everyone in the hockey world in to thinking one goalie is getting traded just to maximize return for the other.

That's just silly.

Not even Jesus could survive public scrutiny. Vancouver loves to crucify the line star.

Fans do have a major impact on players; they are not made of stone.

The pay scale is irrelevant unless you're the envious, jealous kind.

I think the pro-Schneider fans will be plaisantly upset when Schneiser is traded for the "final package" that puts Vancouver over the top.

I'm still waiting for that Gillis quote saying Luongo asked for a trade... Waiting... Waiting...

He was under scrutiny during the Olympics for questionable goals against, and shaky games. He was far from the reason we won gold.

I am no Luongo hater, although I would prefer to keep Schneider, and I definitely don't subscribe to ridiculous fantasies about players being involved in tricking everyone in the hockey world in to thinking one goalie is getting traded just to maximize return for the other.

That's just silly.

Not even Jesus could survive public scrutiny. Vancouver loves to crucify the line star.

I think the pro-Schneider fans will be plaisantly upset when Schneiser is traded for the "final package" that puts Vancouver over the top.

I'm still waiting for that Gillis quote saying Luongo asked for a trade... Waiting... Waiting...

Many believe Luongo will be traded.

Many believe Schneider will be traded.

Many are neutral on the matter.

So be it. Let's agree we disagree and that's it.

Nonetheless, only a few know what is really happening. The rest can only speculate.

The simple fact is that Van cannot have that much CAP space tied up in two players. One will be dealt.

I am in the Schneider camp going forward. For my tastes he is a better fundamental goaltender. However, as you suggested, Schneider might go instead. IMHO it is all about what comes back in such a deal vs what Lu might bring back. Management assessment of Lack comes to bear as well. If CS left then Lack moves into #2 on the depth chart.

As a long term Canuck fan I am simply enjoying the options that MG has vs what the Canucks have been able to do historically. The org is actually developing some depth which allows quality deals to be made rather than desperation trades.

I didn't like Lu's contract when it was signed but understood why MG did it. If Lu was ever to be moved for quality assets the time is now. It takes a long term contract off the books and makes the team younger. CS might be a bit of a gamble but all signs indicate he is more than capable.

Archived