The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

Were the 2010 winter Olympics in Cuba? Please remind me where the games were played again.

When Lu has the superior team he plays well,,when the teams are even in pressure games he is not good often enough. Funny how well he played in the Olympics, I guess them Cubans must have really been supportive,,,seems like they would be the same fans you say don't support him.

Lu did have 36 shots against him in the gold medal match with the weight of a nation on his shoulders playing at home. Aside from maybe game 7 of the SCF's there isn't anything more pressure filled. While a player can make the odd mistake here and there, a goaltender has to play almost flawless under rediculous pressure. Is Lu the best goalie in the league? No? Is he top 10? Yes. Is Corey Schneider going to be better? Yes IMO. Vancouver fans are spoilt brats.

If an all star goalie is going to be traded, there will be a good player coming back.

I think it's the likeliest scenario that Luongo gets traded. That said I would not be entirely surprised if I got up one morning and turned on my car radio on my drive to work and heard: "Corey Schneider has been traded to ____ for ____ and ____".

Likely? No. Still possible? Absolutely, Nothing is written in stone at this point as far as any of us know. As such all of this speculating on both sides of the matter is just that. Speculation. For either of you to make claim of certainties is absurd.

I fully agree.

If Luongo can bring in top talent as Schneider would, then yes.

As you said, quality deals vs. desperate decisions. Gillis has Detroit type depth and he's sitting pretty. No rush either.

Schneider does have amazing skills. I just had to create an account so as to speak my mind because some posters here are bandwagon jumpers buying local media jibberish regarding the matter but most of all, showing utter disrespect for one of the greatest athletes to walk into town.

If anything, fan and media scrutiny could be the reason UFAs could chose to stay clear of signing with this franchise; not the actual team or it's location, as it seems to be the reason Luongo might want out.

Giving credit where it is due is my only complaint really.

In 2011, the whole team had a career year and went all the way only to lose in the final hour. It it is only normal that 90% of the team would be tired after a very short summer and the extra pressure put upon it by the opposition on a nightly basis, still receiving the President's Trophy along the way.

Whatever sound byte came out since the L.A. series does not equate in importance, the decision of trading one of the team's 1G.

So when some fans root for Schneider and cut Luongo's throat out of spite, I find it utterly ridiculous.

???

Luongo did play against Norway and Germany (GAA of 1.00, BTW) but he didn't face Switzerland, Latvia or Belarus. He did, however, play (and beat) Russia, Slovakia and the United States. He did not play the preliminary round loss against the US, nor the shootout win against the Swiss. That was Brodeur.

People are losing their minds. I just want the Doan and Luongo sagas to be over. TSN and CBC have lowered Luongo's value due to their coverage. Other team's fans don't even see him as a starting goalie anymore. He is though and all the GM's aren't that stupid but some are. Cory can fetch as double what Luongo can. I like Schneider in net a lot more as he has that calm demeanor but OUR fans could get to him and ruin his game. So if Cory can get us a fantastic deal than trade him but if he doesn't trade Luo. And if no one gives us a good deal, keep both of them for now until we get into cap issues. We have another starting goaltender on the way in Lack anyways.

People are losing their minds. I just want the Doan and Luongo sagas to be over. TSN and CBC have lowered Luongo's value due to their coverage. Other team's fans don't even see him as a starting goalie anymore. He is though and all the GM's aren't that stupid but some are. Cory can fetch as double what Luongo can. I like Schneider in net a lot more as he has that calm demeanor but OUR fans could get to him and ruin his game. So if Cory can get us a fantastic deal than trade him but if he doesn't trade Luo. And if no one gives us a good deal, keep both of them for now until we get into cap issues. We have another starting goaltender on the way in Lack anyways.

Cory - I'm sure glad we finally got this contract done, I love playing here, great city, great fans and most importantly a chance to win!

Gillis - um ya, about that contract.... We just... Kinda signed you cause we ..are ..going to trade you.

Cory - are you serious?

Gillis - No I'm Mike Gills. Hahah

Cory - This is retarded, I'm in complete shock, I get tricked into signing a contract for 3 years!! I don't even know what team it's going to be for @()$ sake

Gillis - Get over it, you have more value than Luongo therefore It would be crazy to trade Luongo. Read the Mike Milbury book "GMing made easy" it will enlighten you.

Cory - well

Gillis - shhhhhh.... go to sleep.

Cory - I'm sure glad we finally got this contract done, I love playing here, great city, great fans and most importantly a chance to win!

Gillis - um ya, about that contract.... We just... Kinda signed you cause we ..are ..going to trade you.

Cory - are you serious?

Gillis - No I'm Mike Gills. Hahah

Cory - This is retarded, I'm in complete shock, I get tricked into signing a contract for 4 years!! I don't even know what team it's going to be for @()$ sake

Gillis - Get over it, you have more value than Luongo therefore It would be crazy to trade Luongo. Read the Mike Milbury book "GMing made easy" it will enlighten you.

Cory - well

Gillis - shhhhhh.... go to sleep.

I think it's the likeliest scenario that Luongo gets traded. That said I would not be entirely surprised if I got up one morning and turned on my car radio on my drive to work and heard: "Corey Schneider has been traded to ____ for ____ and ____".

Likely? No. Still possible? Absolutely, Nothing is written in stone at this point as far as any of us know. As such all of this speculating on both sides of the matter is just that. Speculation. For either of you to make claim of certainties is absurd.

Were the 2010 winter Olympics in Cuba? Please remind me where the games were played again.

When Lu has the superior team he plays well,,when the teams are even in pressure games he is not good often enough. Funny how well he played in the Olympics, I guess them Cubans must have really been supportive,,,seems like they would be the same fans you say don't support him.

Is this what happened to Luongo? Did we ruin his game?

I sincerely doubt that. Even after all of Luongo's implosions, arrogant attitude, throwing his team under the bus while he was the captain, and not playing for his fans (family, friends, team. His words), he still has legions of supporters who cheer for him and defend him to the bitter end (CDC). Every big name player has detractors, if they were able to "ruin" these players with the odd Boo'ing session when they played poorly, I guess we'd have a league of only 3rd liners, 5/6 defenseman, and backup goalies.

Cory is mentally, technically, and personality-wise, stronger than Luongo by at least a fair margin. That being the case, his career in Vancouver should not even come close to the turn that Luongo's has taken here.

This team's fans will not be able to ruin Cory Schneider, and chances are they would probably never want to anyway.

Archived