Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2402 replies to this topic

#2071 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,345 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:08 PM

Interesting turn of events in Toronto with Allaire quitting as goalie coach. He was one of the few draws for Luongo to go to Toronto, so I think the possibility of him accepting a deal there is all but over unless he decides to expand his options. Ironically, I think it'll mean Toronto's goaltending will probably need more help as a result, so they might be looking more now for a veteran tender.

Francois Allaire quits Leafs: ‘I didn’t feel like I could do my job’

The guru is gone.

Goaltending consultant Francois Allaire has decided not to return to the Toronto Maple Leafs, citing a conflict with the coaching staff.

"To be honest, I don’t think the Leafs need a goalie coach," Allaire, whose contract expired at the end of the season, said in a phone interview on Monday. "I think they have enough of them. They have two or three guys who were making decisions with the goalies. In the NHL, that’s not the way it works.

"If that’s the way they want to operate, then I’m not there."

The Leafs finished with the second-worst goals-against average last season. The team was ranked 24th in 2010-11 and 29th in 2009-10. In three years in Toronto, seven different goaltenders have studied under one of the most accomplished coaches in the history of the game, but none have achieved the type of success that many expected.

Still, Allaire said general manager Brian Burke approached him at the end of the season to renew his contract, but he was not interested in returning, even though the coaching staff had changed. He officially announced his decision to the team on Friday.

"I didn’t feel like I could do my job last year," he said. "I wasn’t getting enough ice time. I wasn’t the only guy with [the goalies]. It’s not fair to the kids, not fair to me, not fair to anybody ... I didn’t feel like I could work in this situation."

Goaltender James Reimer agreed that there was some "behind the scenes" issues with the Leafs coaching situation last year that affected Allaire’s role.

schroedersig2_by_elvis15-d5szksn.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#2072 Barry_Wilkins

Barry_Wilkins

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:36 PM

I am also very worried about having a first-time starter as the goalie for this veteran-laden team. Calling Schneider "better" than Luongo is premature, at best, as the NHL body of work just isn't there, good as he's looked when he's played.

Why would you be worried about this the least bit? You've already posted, a few attempts above this, that there is very little difference between the best and worst goalies in the NHL (completely laughable opinion, btw. If you want, we can go into that a bit more in detail).

You contradict yourself a lot, but it must be hard to keep all those antagonistic-at-any-cost balls up in the air constantly.

#2073 Barry_Wilkins

Barry_Wilkins

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:54 PM

POPULAR

Actually, given your self-proclaimed high level of reading comprehension, you should have noticed that my best/worst variance example amounted to goalies who started more than 50 games, meaning that Schneider didn't qualify.

Ah ha ha! This is too much. Just catching up with the thread, so just saw the above.

Are you seriously saying (according to your definition), that if Schneider were to have started another 20 or so games for the Canucks last year that his GAA could have fallen from a league 2nd best of around .936 to below .900? I'm not willing to run specific stats on this hypothetical projection, but if this were to be effected, Schneider would have had to have let in about 5 goals a game average over those 20-25 games. And that's assuming that your cut-off for "so bad as to actually make a difference" equals .899 per cent. Perhaps it doesn't kick in until .870 or so?

I concluded you were a troll quite a while ago, though a harder to detect one. A poster who can spin his BS (good screen name, but a one-letter typo) in the guise of an actual argument. But as the hysteria, the circular evasiveness, the deflection of valid points (or the outright silence about them), the assumptions masked as truth all pile up, the only ones who are still looking for the pea under one of the shells from you are the poor stooges who just showed up at the mid-way bazaar (bizarre?).

#2074 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,176 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:58 PM

It is very difficult for any goalie to play well when playing only every 4th or 5th game. Every commentater talks about needing game action to get the feel for the puck and to get into a rhythym.
Hoping Lu at this stage of his career can be well enough prepared to get the odd game here and there is wishful thinking.

95% of the backups in the league play every 4th or 5th game. Considering Luongo is more experienced than most of those guys, I'm sure he'll be fine. Either way Gillis will have a plan. This is a GM who designed ice time for a player to increase his trade value - cause they wanted him gone. It's a guarantee they'll have a similar plan for Luongo. Likely involving historical trends of what teams he's played well against in the past - and giving him those starts. Gillis won't be throwing sand in the wind and hoping it doesn't come back. He'll have a strategic plan.

#2075 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:07 PM

There's no reason why a 50/50 split wouldn't work. That or a 60/40 split. Either way both goalies would be fresh for the playoffs.

We know Luongo or Schneider can win us games, they just have to make sure that both of them are okay with sharing the net.

Whoever`s playing better will get the start in the playoffs.

Edited by D-Bo7, 17 September 2012 - 06:09 PM.

#2076 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:15 PM

Interesting turn of events in Toronto with Allaire quitting as goalie coach. He was one of the few draws for Luongo to go to Toronto, so I think the possibility of him accepting a deal there is all but over unless he decides to expand his options. Ironically, I think it'll mean Toronto's goaltending will probably need more help as a result, so they might be looking more now for a veteran tender.

Francois Allaire quits Leafs: ‘I didn’t feel like I could do my job’

I was wondering why Reimer and the monster were such a mess last year. Its quite likely not Allaires fault but the mixed messages the goalies were getting !! Too many cooks spoil the broth !!

#2077 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,294 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:22 PM

This thread is dead, just like the season ahead.

Subbancopy.jpg

#2078 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,936 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:22 PM

I was wondering why Reimer and the monster were such a mess last year. Its quite likely not Allaires fault but the mixed messages the goalies were getting !! Too many cooks spoil the broth !!

True. Although I think Reimer was doing just fine until he got that concussion.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#2079 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,936 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:23 PM

Double post :/

Edited by Steven Stamkos' Mullet, 17 September 2012 - 06:24 PM.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#2080 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,294 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

This thread is dead, just like the season ahead.

Truer words never said, he made his own bed after the novel was read. Or was it red, like his eyes which bled.

Posted Image

Many a tear was shed.

Subbancopy.jpg

#2081 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,178 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:51 PM

Last

#2082 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,750 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:43 PM

Truer words never said, he made his own bed after the novel was read. Or was it red, like his eyes which bled.

Posted Image

Many a tear was shed.

Roberto Luongo is a poet
And like our Schneider
He helped grow it
In to a comedy skit routine
While TSN was on the scene
I miss that side of Luongo
But as he said, It's time to go.
It's time to pass the reigns I fear
For Schneider's time is all but here
I'll miss our goalie
He put on a show
I'll miss Roberto Luongo.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#2083 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:12 PM

Haha, you and your verbatims again. You were clearly alluding to Cory Schneider with my "variance between best and worst" comment. But, I digress, you didn't say "Cory Schneider" verbatim, so there's no clear evidence that you were talking about him, right? :lol:

It's relevant because you're calling Luke Schenn a "lowball offer", which indicates to me that you're totally out to lunch, and that you're completely blind by your extreme homerism. Luke Schenn's a 23 year-old, past 5th overall pick, who's been in the league for 4 seasons. He's pretty good, and there's a lot of potential there. And if he's a "lowball", it would logically follow that you would call JVR a "lowball". So what's fair value for Lou, in your opinion, given the context of this deal? You say that Florida is where he should go; OK, for who? Based on what you're calling a "lowball", I would have to expect some sort of package involving Huberdeau, which is nuts. And I know that you said you spoke about this before, but I have no interest in sifting through 70 pages of posts to find what you wrote, so just share with us again.

Haha - nice try. You came up with an argument that is about as dumb as they come - (to clarily which one among the many dumb arguments you are maintaining) - the argument where you were going on about a lack of relative variation between the best and worst starting goaltenders (ironically only 22 goaltenders with over 50 starts, haha, not even one starter per team, haha). Then you were almost starting to make sense - referring to Luongo as a "proven starter." What I pointed out was the glaring contradiction (again, among many others in your posts) - and the question is perfectly legitimate - what in your opiniion is a "proven starter" then? You used a silly one player sample to claim that you can simply plug Mike Smith into Phoenix's system and all of a sudden he appears elite... 'did he forget how to stop a puck in Tampa', blah, blah? Did Bryzgalov? blah blah (who, by the way, absolutely sucked in the playoffs in Phoenix, and then absolutely sucked in this year's playoffs in Philly) . Your argument was dense - by calling Luongo a "proven starter" (which he clearly is) you simply undermined your silly little not much difference between best and worst argument, and in turn, undermined your silly little devaluation of Luongo, hoping to (prematurely, as you have no idea what the return will be) pin the tail on Gillis. Repetitive fail.

In other words - that question was clearly and entirely about Luongo and your silly theory - had nothing to do with Schneider (who didn't have 50 starts haha) - and your response is entirely predictable - an evasive 'you were clearly alluding to Schneider' blah verbatim blah. Every time you respond you wind up underlining the irony of your 'verbatim' sarcasm - you are entirely off the mark. Carry on - your resorting to an internal dialogue does have a consolation payoff - in arguing with yourself, one half of you has an opportunity to be right. For the rest of us - again - a waste of time.

And again. You just seem like you can't help yourself - and mimic your fail - "I would have to expect some sort of package involving Huberdeau, which is nuts".... Again, that is yours, alone - and verbatim.

A more popular definition of "nuts" - "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
Posted Image

Edited by oldnews, 17 September 2012 - 09:01 PM.

#2084 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:31 PM

I think it also had something to do with the quality of shots they were facing - I mean realistically, with pylons like Phaneuf, Schenn, and Komisarek in front of them (and a no show in his own zone like Liles), what is a young goaltender to do?

Oh that's right, KofES has schooled me on this - Schenn was actually pretty good haha.
Uh, yeah, and the Leafs could afford to shop him (and shop him, and shop him until they found a taker...) because their blueline is so deep haha...

Look at the help Gustavsson had on this play - haha, one of my favorite moments of last season - can watch it over and over...Hansen blows by sleepy Phaneuf, and then again Phaneuf lets him cut straight accross in front of him and the Monster, untouched... that's their captain, in a game they actually had a prayer to win... and that's about what you get from the Leafs blueline (utter vacancy). Aside from the fact I love to see Toronto lose, I wouldn't wish this on Luongo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrO1zQ7KAOc

Edited by oldnews, 17 September 2012 - 08:41 PM.

#2085 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:15 AM

Why would you be worried about this the least bit? You've already posted, a few attempts above this, that there is very little difference between the best and worst goalies in the NHL (completely laughable opinion, btw. If you want, we can go into that a bit more in detail).

You contradict yourself a lot, but it must be hard to keep all those antagonistic-at-any-cost balls up in the air constantly.

Because we're a veteran team, built to win now, and we can't take a risk that Schneider somehow can't carry the load, or can't carry the load enough in his first year or two of being a starter. To think that it'll be a seamless transition from playing 25 - 30 games a year to 60 - 65 is optimistic. "Growing pains" aren't really something that this team can afford to go through, at this point. There's urgency right now if we're serious about winning a Cup.

#2086 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,043 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:35 AM

Because we're a veteran team, built to win now, and we can't take a risk that Schneider somehow can't carry the load, or can't carry the load enough in his first year or two of being a starter. To think that it'll be a seamless transition from playing 25 - 30 games a year to 60 - 65 is optimistic. "Growing pains" aren't really something that this team can afford to go through, at this point. There's urgency right now if we're serious about winning a Cup.

schneider + the talented canucks skaters will get us into the playoffs where schneider will perform consistently better than luongo.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#2087 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,043 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:36 AM

I think it also had something to do with the quality of shots they were facing - I mean realistically, with pylons like Phaneuf, Schenn, and Komisarek in front of them (and a no show in his own zone like Liles), what is a young goaltender to do?

Oh that's right, KofES has schooled me on this - Schenn was actually pretty good haha.
Uh, yeah, and the Leafs could afford to shop him (and shop him, and shop him until they found a taker...) because their blueline is so deep haha...

Look at the help Gustavsson had on this play - haha, one of my favorite moments of last season - can watch it over and over...Hansen blows by sleepy Phaneuf, and then again Phaneuf lets him cut straight accross in front of him and the Monster, untouched... that's their captain, in a game they actually had a prayer to win... and that's about what you get from the Leafs blueline (utter vacancy). Aside from the fact I love to see Toronto lose, I wouldn't wish this on Luongo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrO1zQ7KAOc

hansen making "the best defenseman in the league right now"(ron wilson), look like robert nordmark.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#2088 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:14 AM

This isn't some no namer coming in being thrown to the wolves. If it we were keeping Lack over Luongo, I'd be concerned, but Schneider has proven to be a stable goaltender in the league. Schneider's starts has been built up from 25 in 10-11, to 33 last year, to 50+ next season.

We have a good enough team that can carry a goaltender through tough times, and Schneider is a good enough goalie to return the favour(and has).

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#2089 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:22 AM

Are you seriously saying (according to your definition), that if Schneider were to have started another 20 or so games for the Canucks last year that his GAA could have fallen from a league 2nd best of around .936 to below .900? I'm not willing to run specific stats on this hypothetical projection, but if this were to be effected, Schneider would have had to have let in about 5 goals a game average over those 20-25 games. And that's assuming that your cut-off for "so bad as to actually make a difference" equals .899 per cent. Perhaps it doesn't kick in until .870 or so?

I'm not saying that at all - but nice inference.

The point is that it's possible. Every conceivable event has a probability. For you all to just assume that Schneider's numbers would hold up under a 65-game workload, in his rookie season as a starter, is very optimistic (though that appears to be the name of the game around here - certainly the most optimistic sports fans who's team has never won a championship).

#2090 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:23 AM

Haha - nice try. You came up with an argument that is about as dumb as they come - (to clarily which one among the many dumb arguments you are maintaining) - the argument where you were going on about a lack of relative variation between the best and worst starting goaltenders (ironically only 22 goaltenders with over 50 starts, haha, not even one starter per team, haha). Then you were almost starting to make sense - referring to Luongo as a "proven starter." What I pointed out was the glaring contradiction (again, among many others in your posts) - and the question is perfectly legitimate - what in your opiniion is a "proven starter" then? You used a silly one player sample to claim that you can simply plug Mike Smith into Phoenix's system and all of a sudden he appears elite... 'did he forget how to stop a puck in Tampa', blah, blah? Did Bryzgalov? blah blah (who, by the way, absolutely sucked in the playoffs in Phoenix, and then absolutely sucked in this year's playoffs in Philly) . Your argument was dense - by calling Luongo a "proven starter" (which he clearly is) you simply undermined your silly little not much difference between best and worst argument, and in turn, undermined your silly little devaluation of Luongo, hoping to (prematurely, as you have no idea what the return will be) pin the tail on Gillis. Repetitive fail.

In other words - that question was clearly and entirely about Luongo and your silly theory - had nothing to do with Schneider (who didn't have 50 starts haha) - and your response is entirely predictable - an evasive 'you were clearly alluding to Schneider' blah verbatim blah. Every time you respond you wind up underlining the irony of your 'verbatim' sarcasm - you are entirely off the mark. Carry on - your resorting to an internal dialogue does have a consolation payoff - in arguing with yourself, one half of you has an opportunity to be right. For the rest of us - again - a waste of time.

And again. You just seem like you can't help yourself - and mimic your fail - "I would have to expect some sort of package involving Huberdeau, which is nuts".... Again, that is yours, alone - and verbatim.

A more popular definition of "nuts" - "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
Posted Image

WHO DO YOU THINK WE WILL GET FOR LUONGO?

Answer the freaking question, Mr. Bettman.

#2091 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:28 AM

Nice video on Phaneuf, oldnews. Yeah, he sucks, I'm sure, according to you, though I suspect that his value would somehow dramatically increase, in your eyes, were it him that were coming back from a Luongo trade.

It's not hard to find videos of players looking dumb, and ignoring their otherwise typical solid play. Check out this series-clinching gaffe by the great Dan Hamhuis himself (the short-side snipe let in by Schneider isn't very encouraging, either).

Edited by King of the ES, 18 September 2012 - 08:41 AM.

#2092 Mike Versace ESQ

Mike Versace ESQ

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:57 AM

Well...no season yet, no Luongo trade YET, pointless arguing with ES, cuz he doesn't get, won;t get cuz he can't get it...so...time to take a hiatus, weathers good, golf courses in great shape and I can work with AAA goalies who DO get it :) see ya soon

We get it....you're a goalie!

You're worse than a guy with little d!@k syndrome.

Posted ImagePosted Image

FOLLOW @MikeVersace1

#shapcrew #membersonly

credit to CanucksHD for the avatar

#2093 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:39 AM

Nice video on Phaneuf, oldnews. Yeah, he sucks, I'm sure, according to you, though I suspect that his value would somehow dramatically increase, in your eyes, were it him that were coming back from a Luongo trade.

It's not hard to find videos of players looking dumb, and ignoring their otherwise typical solid play. Check out this series-clinching gaffe by the great Dan Hamhuis himself (the short-side snipe let in by Schneider isn't very encouraging, either).

Ahaha - you're so predictable - according to me, according to you, his value would increase if he were a Canuck - truth is, if he were a Canuck, I'd make like the Leafs fans wearing a paper bag. You never did answer the question whether you're a Leafs fan.
And don't hold your breath on the Luongo to Toronto for Phaneuf thing haha....

Posted Image

As for the 'answer the question' in bold BS - read the answer I've already wasted my time posting. I ain't nuts - I'm not going repost and repost things I've already said numerous times, and expect a different result (that it actually registers).

Yeah everyone makes mistakes - that's very true - we're all human.

Dan Hamhuis +29
Dion Phaneuf -10
And the irony is that so many people here deny that Hamhuis is a #1 quality defenseman, while Phaneuf...

Edited by oldnews, 18 September 2012 - 09:49 AM.

#2094 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:51 AM

I ain't nuts - I'm not going repost and repost things I've already said numerous times, and expect a different result (that it actually registers).

Is that like a lot of Canuck fans on this board, who think that every year it's "the" year? Same results for 42 years, no?

Dan Hamhuis +29
Dion Phaneuf -10
And the irony is that so many people here deny that Hamhuis is a #1 quality defenseman, while Phaneuf...

Marek Malik led the Canucks in +/- in the '03-'04 season (+35), but I still would've rather had Ohlund, Salo, Jovanovski, or Sopel on the ice, at any given time. Far from the sole barometer of success, and certainly not indicative that Dan Hamhuis is a better player than Dion Phaneuf (which, IMO, he is definitely not).

And no, I'm not a Leafs fan. Just a guy who's free of bias.

Edited by King of the ES, 18 September 2012 - 10:05 AM.

#2095 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:24 AM

I'm not saying that at all - but nice inference.

The point is that it's possible. Every conceivable event has a probability. For you all to just assume that Schneider's numbers would hold up under a 65-game workload, in his rookie season as a starter, is very optimistic (though that appears to be the name of the game around here - certainly the most optimistic sports fans who's team has never won a championship).

Seems much more likely that Lu will give us the same playoff goaltending or worse that he has gave us the last 4 playoffs, which is not good enough.
Cory's numbers will likely get a bit worse as well and drop a few points, but the gap between him and Lu will continue to grow, with Cory being better than Lu now in my opinion.
3 years ago Cory struggled in his 1st few starts while Lu was at an elite level,,,2 years ago he was the backup to Lu and was almost at Lu's level but Lu was certainly better.
Cory was much better than Lu last season, and I feel after Lu's collapsing in the SCF his ego took a huge hit and will not recover and lead to him going from Vezina finalist to very average at best.
Outside of Vancouver nobody is going to remember his 2 shutouts because all they will remember is TT outplaying Lu by miles and Lu's epic meltdowns in Boston.
Boils down to what our best guesses are for the future. Many believe Lu has something to prove and will be a Vezina candidate again. I say he should have wanted to prove himself this year after letting himself and the team down in the finals but had a poor season.
Some think Cory will not be able to handle the #1 spot and Canucks be lucky to make the playoffs. With the other teams in our division getting stronger the chances of us winning the Presidents Trophy is very slim with either Lu or Cory. I think Cory will play at elite level and be a Vezina candidate in the very near future, and will give the Cancuks much more CONSISTENT playoff goaltending than Lu has given us for the last 5 years.
Cory will give us solid playoff goaltending like last year for the next 10 years(not under 2 good but just very solid play), I do not think Lu will gave us solid playoff goaltending since 06-07 and the wheels have fell off his bus and he will only get worse.

#2096 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

Did you pick the number 60-65 games out of the air? Even Lou, your pet, did not play that many last year ! When you refer to probabilities with Schneider, you are so far out to lunch. And to say in a later thread you have no bias, well, now we know you are something !! You are biased, opinionated with an ego as big as the outdoors...painful !! Wish I was a fly on the wall at your place to see your ego in action !

#2097 Biznow

Biznow

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:37 AM

according to @nucksmisconduct, Botchford is saying Florida is out on Luongo now.

Posted Image~Biznow

#2098 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:55 AM

according to @nucksmisconduct, Botchford is saying Florida is out on Luongo now.

Botchford has proven time and time again that he's not an insider. I wouldn't listen to what he says too much.

The truth is every team is out on Luongo right now, because no trades will be made until there is a new CBA.

#2099 Biznow

Biznow

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:13 AM

Botchford has proven time and time again that he's not an insider. I wouldn't listen to what he says too much.

The truth is every team is out on Luongo right now, because no trades will be made until there is a new CBA.

True enough. I thought botch and lu were friends though? wasn't that the reason Pratt was trying to claim Botch was behind @strombone1 ?

All hearsay I guess though.

Edited by Biznow, 18 September 2012 - 11:14 AM.

Posted Image~Biznow

#2100 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,000 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:20 AM

There's no reason why a 50/50 split wouldn't work. That or a 60/40 split. Either way both goalies would be fresh for the playoffs.

We know Luongo or Schneider can win us games, they just have to make sure that both of them are okay with sharing the net.

Whoever`s playing better will get the start in the playoffs.

I can see the advantage of these (two fresh goalies) and having two #1's available, but then again it would be better to lose the contract and get someone who's still competent but would cost less.

Once the season starts and florida starts losing and realising it was just a fluke season last year, they'll come calling the canucks with an offer Gillis will like.

Also, Toronto will start losing as usual and Burkie will start feeling the heat from the fans/ownership. He'll cave in as well if he doesn't want to get fired.

Most Eastern teams looks stronger this upcoming season. And I got Washington winning back their division.

I think Tampa should also have been listed in that group; Lindback's still inexperienced and will be playing in a system that would be much less defensive than the one in Nashville, and with the typically wide-open, offensive style of play in the Southeast, I'd be willing to speculate that he would have growing pains, to say the least.

Lu said he wants to return to Florida, right? Well, even if the Cats don't need him TB is pretty close to Florida and if they needed to shed some $ I'd be alright, if worst case the team ends up with an "albatross" contract like Vinny's and someone like Taormina or Aulie coming back, just that Ballard's salary would need to be shed. With someone like these guys, they could turn out to be very useful pieces, albeit that Vinny is a bit expensive (but Lu's not cheap either). TB would also consider esp. if Namnestikov (Sp?) is ready for a bigger role.

Vinny's been captain for so long and Gillis likes leadership, he's won the Cup before AND only two seasons ago he was able to elevate his game in the playoffs to over 1 p.p.g.; with the talented group around, who's to say he can't do so again?

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.