The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

As of now, I wish we can trade Schneider for a Bobby Ryan or an E. Kane, but it feels like that ship has sailed. Maybe I'm wrong.

He isn't Hamhuis or Keith mobile, but good enough for his size. I think we can use more size and strength on our D even after Garrison. Right now, nobody is intimidated by our D. I wish we have a Webber or a Chara here but that's impossible. Outside Garrison and Bieksa and sometimes Edler, our D is a little gentle and other teams take advantage.

Maybe true, but find me a smaller defenseman in the league? Ask Tanev to clear a Lucic or a Franzen from in front of the net... in fact, ask ANY of our D to clear the other teams' power forwards. We have on average small and gentle defenseman and I think we need to address it.

As of now, I wish we can trade Schneider for a Bobby Ryan or an E. Kane, but it feels like that ship has sailed. Maybe I'm wrong.

He isn't Hamhuis or Keith mobile, but good enough for his size. I think we can use more size and strength on our D even after Garrison. Right now, nobody is intimidated by our D. I wish we have a Webber or a Chara here but that's impossible. Outside Garrison and Bieksa and sometimes Edler, our D is a little gentle and other teams take advantage.

Maybe true, but find me a smaller defenseman in the league? Ask Tanev to clear a Lucic or a Franzen from in front of the net... in fact, ask ANY of our D to clear the other teams' power forwards. We have on average small and gentle defenseman and I think we need to address it.

Dude, I can tell you're not a knuckle dragger, so why are you grasping at straws?

He was avoiding saying the words "I wish to be traded", because he isn't a Heatley type douche, but he clearly is saying that he wants to "move on".

Unless you can put forward an alternate meaning to his quote, you should stop trying to say he didn't ask for a trade.

Indeed. I'm a die hard Canucks fan and I will support Luongo until he's an enemy. So far, the presented deals for Luongo are inadequate and so he remains a Canucks.

In a way, that's why Boston won; the fans unquestionably supported their team.

Conversely, Vancouver fans are ready to hang Luongo while they bypass antics such as finger biting, hair pulling and diving, even finding it funny while claiming league-wide conspiracy against this franchise.

I would trade Diver and Fingerbiter before I would trade Luongo. Dr. Recchi claims the finger biting incident rallied Boston while Kesler might have already cost Umberger's and Hodgson's demise.

I don't mind a Luongo trade as long as fair value is received. This might mean both goaltenders stay until the trade deadline.

That said, Luongo has not opened the door to other cities outside of Florida and Chicago. With Chicago, the Canucks would essentially hand them another Cup. I don't see Gillis trading Luongo to Chicago while Florida won't break the bank to bring such a long contract "home".

Schneider is definitely much easier to move than Luongo though either would bring in, in theory, a hefty return at the trade deadline, especially from marginal teams looking for a playoff birth.

Not even you can seriously believe this.

Is Chicago, with all of their cup winning depth long gone that much of a better team than the Canucks? Doesn't seem like it to me, but according to you Luongo would be a free pass to another Stanley Cup for them. That being the case, where are all of our Stanley Cups? Since Chicago won in 2010 and their team got dismantled immediately afterwards, wouldn't you say that we have had a better team than them? We have two Presidents Trophies since then, but no Cups. Why cant Luongo win a Stanley Cup for us but with Chicago it will be a cake walk?

Your username is becoming more ironic with every post you make.

Indeed. I'm a die hard Canucks fan and I will support Luongo until he's an enemy. So far, the presented deals for Luongo are inadequate and so he remains a Canucks.

In a way, that's why Boston won; the fans unquestionably supported their team.

Conversely, Vancouver fans are ready to hang Luongo while they bypass antics such as finger biting, hair pulling and diving, even finding it funny while claiming league-wide conspiracy against this franchise.

I would trade Diver and Fingerbiter before I would trade Luongo. Dr. Recchi claims the finger biting incident rallied Boston while Kesler might have already cost Umberger's and Hodgson's demise.

Sweeping statements much? There are several hundred thousand Canuck fans and most of them do not participate on this board. Most of the fans I know were not impressed by the biting or diving. The hit on Horton rallied Boston more than the silly antics of Burrows.

And how does Kesler have anything to do with costing us Umberger and Hodgson? Unberger was traded because he wanted too much $. Hodson was traded because he wasn't good enough to be on the 1st or 2nd line and couldn't wait until he was.

The only players I would trade Luongo straight up would be Toews, Kane or Keith.

Concerning "giving a Cup to Chicago", yes, they have a better team with better secondary scoring and a better defense, only their goaltending is very weak.

The point was that if Luongo is traded to Chicago for small change, the Canucks would not be handicapping or weakening their team and so they would indeed be Cup favorites with a highly motivated, angry Luongo and that's a very scary prospect.

Concerning Diver and Fingerbiter, point proven; some fans will defend them unquestionably by attacking they who call them out, while they are major problems and have lost some major respect throughout the league.

There is no Cup in Vancouvwr because there isn't a legitimate second 1C, there isn't a legitimate 1D, secondary scoring is non existent, the top line is as soft as marshmallows when it counts most and team toughness is actually weak.

This team is built to win President's Trophies, not Stanley Cups. It is built on Moneyball. See Oakland A's or the movie for an explanation.

Archived