The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

Usually, a top center makes their wings better. Wings seldom make their center better. There are some exceptions but there are many more examples of the aforementioned.

If Diver cannot make his wings better by passing and instead looking to shoot, it then nullifies the entire line's production; he's not adequate enough to be in what he believes is his rightful place; he belongs on the 3C position as the best 3C in the game, potentially making him legendary. Instead, he steuggles as a 2C.

Bring in a Thornton, Lecavalier, Marleau type of player and I assure you that Booth, Raymond, Kassian and/ or Higgins will instantly benefit from the center.

Concerning defense, in the playoffs, the intimidation factor of having a Weber, Chara, Doughty, Pronger, Niedermayer, Stevens type 1D for half a game far outweighs the intimidation factor that a bunch of equally good but less talented and durable 4Ds on the blue line can garner due to a lack of exposure.

A team's four lines will dread having to face a 1D for half a game and they will all eventually run into him at some point, with both top lines having to face him 90% of the game. A bunch of 4Ds can be easily matched by the opposition.

I don't mind a Luongo trade as long as fair value is received. This might mean both goaltenders stay until the trade deadline.

That said, Luongo has not opened the door to other cities outside of Florida and Chicago. With Chicago, the Canucks would essentially hand them another Cup. I don't see Gillis trading Luongo to Chicago while Florida won't break the bank to bring such a long contract "home".

Schneider is definitely much easier to move than Luongo though either would bring in, in theory, a hefty return at the trade deadline, especially from marginal teams looking for a playoff birth.

Uhm, I think the common denominator with Kesler and Burrows was AV?

He coached them in Winnipeg, he was the architect of elevating them into key roles, when they were projected to be depth players and grinders.

I can agree with some of your concerns about Kesler but the genie is out of the bottle when you think you can put him back at 3C. I liked the way Hodgson was coming on last January but he went cold. For awhile he was catching Kesler in scoring with far less ice time a little PP time. But again, my issue with Hodgson was his speed, his defensive play and his ability to work the body along the boards. Most of those concerns can be addressed and I will watch his development in Buffalo with interest.

To a degree I sympathize with Kesler as he has been the leader of this club for a number of seasons. He has scored key goals, played both ends of the ice and yes when needed played a physical game. Burrows has supported him thru it all. So these two get a lot of leeway in my book. What mentor did these two have when they broke in? The skills are there and the coaching has to find a way of bringing it out.

I think this is a very good post.

It might undervalue Kesler a little, as he was doing a good job distributing the puck the year before he won the Selke. It was actually his best year; he scored 75 points hi personal best and did it without significant PP time. He probably needs a bit of an attitude correction, not seeing himself as "that" goal scorer from his Selke year and being the distributor we saw in 09/10. And to do so also requires a return in health. I think he can return to this?

But as much as your right about Kesler's role getting such a 2C as Marleau, Thornton, Lecavalier; it is a big ask, and the cost would have serious implications to our depth chart for cap reasons even if we could land them. Marleau is UFA next year?

I personally believe we need that 1D more than a top 6 forward (with a return to form by Kesler) for all the reasons you have analysed.

Usually, a top center makes their wings better. Wings seldom make their center better. There are some exceptions but there are many more examples of the aforementioned.

If Diver cannot make his wings better by passing and instead looking to shoot, it then nullifies the entire line's production; he's not adequate enough to be in what he believes is his rightful place; he belongs on the 3C position as the best 3C in the game, potentially making him legendary. Instead, he steuggles as a 2C.

Bring in a Thornton, Lecavalier, Marleau type of player and I assure you that Booth, Raymond, Kassian and/ or Higgins will instantly benefit from the center.

Concerning defense, in the playoffs, the intimidation factor of having a Weber, Chara, Doughty, Pronger, Niedermayer, Stevens type 1D for half a game far outweighs the intimidation factor that a bunch of equally good but less talented and durable 4Ds on the blue line can garner due to a lack of exposure.

A team's four lines will dread having to face a 1D for half a game and they will all eventually run into him at some point, with both top lines having to face him 90% of the game. A bunch of 4Ds can be easily matched by the opposition.

There is no 1D available. Why did Phili have to offer Webber an offer sheet. If they had not, Nashville would likely give him a 1 year contract and he would become an UFA next year. I would then give him whatever he wants.

And we don't have a potential 1D in our pool of prospects.

Even a Schneider trade would not yield such a return.

... how is Chris Pronger doing with his concussion?

There is no 1D available. Why did Phili have to offer Webber an offer sheet. If they had not, Nashville would likely give him a 1 year contract and he would become an UFA next year. I would then give him whatever he wants.

And we don't have a potential 1D in our pool of prospects.

Even a Schneider trade would not yield such a return.

... how is Chris Pronger doing with his concussion?

My thoughts exactly, though isn't he property of Philly? And since they are in dire need of defense. I would think that if he does come back, he would suit up for them...

The 2013 UFA defensemen pool looks extremely bleak. When Roszival, Kubina, Spacek ad Finger are the top D UFA, you know there's nothing out there.

My thoughts exactly, though isn't he property of Philly? And since they are in dire need of defense. I would think that if he does come back, he would suit up for them...

The 2013 UFA defensemen pool looks extremely bleak. Timmonen, Visnovsky, Gonchar, Hainsey and Streit are available in 2013. Not exactly top notch 1Ds...

The 2013 UFA defensemen pool looks extremely bleak. Timmonen, Visnovsky, Gonchar, Hainsey and Streit are available in 2013. Not exactly top notch 1Ds...

Archived