The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

The longer this drags on, the more I respect GMMG. I admire a patient GM, rather than trigger happy tradesters who get their teams junk in return. With every interview, Luongo keeps demonstrating he is not the team player he tries to make himself out to be. He is still under contract with the Canucks. Until he is traded, his loyalties should be with Vancouver, regardless of what the situation may look like.

"[The Panthers] makes sense for myself..." pathetic. Luongo has been paid MILLIONS of dollars by the Canucks, a team he is still with, and this is how he talks to the press? If he was a team player, he would be making no such comment.

My full support is behind Gillis. He can take all the way to the trade deadline, and I'd be happy. The Canucks don't have a problem - we have two star goalies. Luongo has a problem that he has to work out himself, and other teams have a problem of crappy goaltending. Let's roll with it until the right deal presents itself.

Bang on Bro.

What Luongo says, to me, and to some of us, tells us he's a quitter.

Instead of trying to fight for his spot back, he indirecly demanded a trade. True quitter indeed. We don't need quitters on the Vancouver Canucks. He just wants to go to a team were he's a number 1 goalie. True, Luongo is still a number 1, and I think hes still a star, but he's a quitter. Ship him out Gillis.

My full support is behind Gillis. He can take all the way to the trade deadline, and I'd be happy. The Canucks don't have a problem - we have two star goalies. Luongo has a problem that he has to work out himself, and other teams have a problem of crappy goaltending. Let's roll with it until the right deal presents itself.

See, this is how newspapers stir things up:

A reporter corners a player (in this case Luongo) and asks a leading question. Seeing as it's no secret that Louie's family is from South Florida and that he lives there in the off-season, the question is asked "What would you think about being traded to the Panthers". When the article is written, no mention of the leading question is made, making it appear that the answer was offered by the player without prompting.

Being honest, Luongo responds, "well I live here in the off-season, my kids were born here, etc., etc., so I suppose it makes sense...", and now the papers have a headline: Florida Luongo's First Choice

In the interview, Luongo does go on to say that "there are other options" and that he wouldn't rule anything else out, but because people generally skim articles and let the caption form the bulk of their opinion, we're left with yet another "Luongo only wants to play in Florida" mindset and we have people claiming that he is "disloyal" and "making things more difficult for Gillis".

The reality is, there is nothing new in this interview or article. It's just a case of the media being desperate for some hockey news, so they put a new spin on an old story.

I'm sick of people giving Gillis a pass on this one. He screwed up with the contract. He hasn't been able to move Luongo. There never really has been a market for him and that looks like it hasn't changed. The team is up against a cap that appears will go down or at the very least stay the same for three years. I'm not as impressed as some of you are. Luongo really does need to be moved for cap reasons whether any of us want to admit it or not.

The longer this drags on, the more I respect GMMG. I admire a patient GM, rather than trigger happy tradesters who get their teams junk in return. With every interview, Luongo keeps demonstrating he is not the team player he tries to make himself out to be. He is still under contract with the Canucks. Until he is traded, his loyalties should be with Vancouver, regardless of what the situation may look like.

"[The Panthers] makes sense for myself..." pathetic. Luongo has been paid MILLIONS of dollars by the Canucks, a team he is still with, and this is how he talks to the press? If he was a team player, he would be making no such comment.

So Luongo has no loyalty and is not a team player? The Canucks signed him to a 12 year deal and only two have been played and they have decided to move in a different direction and Luongo is the one who is not the team player? Other than saying that he wants to play in his hometown what has he done that goes against the Canucks? Seems to me like they have discarded him but the anger is on Roberto.

Anyone that has been to South Florida will understand why Luongo wants to go back. It's a beautiful place to live and work with the best weather anywhere.

I'm sick of people giving Gillis a pass on this one. He screwed up with the contract. He hasn't been able to move Luongo. There never really has been a market for him and that looks like it hasn't changed. The team is up against a cap that appears will go down or at the very least stay the same for three years. I'm not as impressed as some of you are. Luongo really does need to be moved for cap reasons whether any of us want to admit it or not.

And for those of you thinking Gillis should wait for the trade deadline, how many teams acquire players with nine plus years left on hefty contracts? ANd starting goaltenders? Big names that get moved at the deadline are pending UFAs on teams that are struggling to make the playoffs to teams that want a rental to put them over the top. Typically 33 year old goalies with 9 years and almost 40 million left are unattractive at the trade deadline.

I am glad that we are getting rid of Luongo. Before I defended him against all ther haters out there, but he has proven to be an ass using the media whenever possible to work his angles for his trade. Not a trade that will be mutually beneficial, but just a trade that works for him.

He is a great goaltender, no doubt, but Cory Schneider has proven to excel where Luongo has faltered.

Pure and simple, Cory Schneider will be the Canucks goalie hoisting the Stanley Cup above his head while Luongo flops around on the ice in South Beach like a marlin in Miami.

Just as I always suspected. Luongo is all about the benjamins, no wonder he is so up and down in the playoffs, paycheques end after game 82.

This idea of hanging on to him well into the season could really backfire. He doesn't want to be our starter and wont want to be our backup. So we have disgruntled Luongo sitting on the bench wasting cap space, pissed off that Gillis didn't take Florida's crappy offer for him, now what? Whenever Luongo does play he'll probably suck because he no longer cares about the Canucks, and let's face it, he's getting paid either way so he has nothing really to worry about. Now his value has dropped even lower than it is right now but on top of that he has successfully become a full-blown locker room cancer. Cory will most likely feel awkward having his friend sulking beneath him on the depth chart so his play could suffer due to that distraction. Meanwhile he'll probably get worn out from having to play 75 games and add that to not being happy about the Luongo situation, well that could make his stats balloon out so now the team will have to score a ton of goals just to win enough games to make the playoffs.

So we squeeze into the postseason, but Cory and the whole team are completely exhasted from their regular season ordeal and we get bounced out in the first round. Luongo laughs from the bench and finally gets traded to Florida in the offseason for one or two late round draft picks.

Granted this is a worst case scenario but it could play out this way. Bottom line, get Luongo out of town for whatever Florida is willing to give up before the season starts, whenever that may be.

I am glad that we are getting rid of Luongo. Before I defended him against all ther haters out there, but he has proven to be an ass using the media whenever possible to work his angles for his trade. Not a trade that will be mutually beneficial, but just a trade that works for him.

He is a great goaltender, no doubt, but Cory Schneider has proven to excel where Luongo has faltered.

Pure and simple, Cory Schneider will be the Canucks goalie hoisting the Stanley Cup above his head while Luongo flops around on the ice in South Beach like a marlin in Miami.

Dream on bud, if Schneider wins the cup it will be because of the team infront of him, Luongo will take the Panthers or Leafs further than Schneider would with either of those teams. Luongo's the best goaltender in franchise history, and as sad as it will be to see him go, I'm happy he gets to leave a city that treated him like trash, im happy he's moving on. Right now for the first time in my life, Im a bigger supporter of a player (Luongo) than my own team. I've been a fan since 1999, when he was drafted, and dreamt of the day he would wear Canucks colors, and it happened, I dropped to the ground at work and almost started crying I was so happy. Eddie Lack will be the new fan favorite after Schneider faulters, I guarantee it, the fans will do the same thing to Cory that they did to Roberto. Face it, the majority of season ticket holders in this city are not knowledgable enough about the game. You go down to a game you see these morons on their phones talking business instead of watching the game, then when Luongo lets in a goal he's "crap". I will support Luongo wherever he goes, and will most likely buy another jersey of his, I already have it in our home blue. Im not wishing Schneider to faulter, but I will be hard on him just like people were on Luongo, very hard, as in if we lose a game Im gonna blame him cause people blamed Luongo the same way, then we'll see how people feel.

Dream on bud, if Schneider wins the cup it will be because of the team infront of him, Luongo will take the Panthers or Leafs further than Schneider would with either of those teams. Luongo's the best goaltender in franchise history, and as sad as it will be to see him go, I'm happy he gets to leave a city that treated him like trash, im happy he's moving on. Right now for the first time in my life, Im a bigger supporter of a player (Luongo) than my own team. I've been a fan since 1999, when he was drafted, and dreamt of the day he would wear Canucks colors, and it happened, I dropped to the ground at work and almost started crying I was so happy. Eddie Lack will be the new fan favorite after Schneider faulters, I guarantee it, the fans will do the same thing to Cory that they did to Roberto. Face it, the majority of season ticket holders in this city are not knowledgable enough about the game. You go down to a game you see these morons on their phones talking business instead of watching the game, then when Luongo lets in a goal he's "crap". I will support Luongo wherever he goes, and will most likely buy another jersey of his, I already have it in our home blue. Im not wishing Schneider to faulter, but I will be hard on him just like people were on Luongo, very hard, as in if we lose a game Im gonna blame him cause people blamed Luongo the same way, then we'll see how people feel.

Archived