Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2402 replies to this topic

#2371 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:03 AM

Which part should make me reconsider king? - the five suitors part, or the waivers part? Most people could smell the immense contradiction.

Not an immense contradiction at all. Toronto might be interested...if Mike Komisarek's going out the door. Florida might be interested...if the deal involves Ed Jovanovski or Filip Kuba coming back to Vancouver. Dreger's comments suggest that other teams are seeing this as a necessary cap dump by the Canucks, which is consistent with my views.

And BTW, let's hear these trades that you've brought up. Seriously, I don't recall anything that you've proposed besides suggesting that Shawn Matthias is a pretty good player. Let's hear 'em.

#2372 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,387 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

Not an immense contradiction at all. Toronto might be interested...if Mike Komisarek's going out the door. Florida might be interested...if the deal involves Ed Jovanovski or Filip Kuba coming back to Vancouver. Dreger's comments suggest that other teams are seeing this as a necessary cap dump by the Canucks, which is consistent with my views.

And BTW, let's hear these trades that you've brought up. Seriously, I don't recall anything that you've proposed besides suggesting that Shawn Matthias is a pretty good player. Let's hear 'em.

Dreger is likely incorrect for a few reasons.

a. Dreger is quite often incorrect about these things. Is he "hockeyinsiderr" icorrect? Hell no but his reports are specious at best.

b. It's not a cap dump. This team can handle sitting on both contracts. Before you go all...you...I'm not saying it's ideal but they can. They don't have to dump Luongos cap hit.

c. It's a good cap hit for the quality that's coming with it. No team should be seeing this as a cap dump. The problem teams will have don't have anything to do with a 5.33 million dollar cap hit. The only issue with Luongo's contract is the length; and then after that is the question of his play the last 2 season in particular which have not been bad in the slightest but have shown cracks.

In any case Luongo as a "cap dump" seems a bit silly to me.

Edited by EmployeeoftheMonth, 06 October 2012 - 09:44 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2373 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,021 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:54 AM

You're seriously out to lunch. The Panthers just signed Filip Kuba as a UFA - to fill the whole left when Garrison signed in Vancouver. It's pretty safe to say that Florida does not need / are not looking to move his contract - they just acquired him - for good reason. Pretty dumb stuff there king.

Regarding Toronto - aren't you the guy who insists they offered Schenn, and have been pumping his tires ever since?
Can you smell your own obvious contradiction there king?

As I pointed out to you in another thread, Dreger has had an axe to gring with Aquilini (and therefore the Canucks) since he let Nonis go...

#2374 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

In any case Luongo as a "cap dump" seems a bit silly to me.

To "you" and to other Canuck fans isn't relevant. Other teams know that we're effectively forced to move him, and have/will adjusted their bids accordingly.

The market has spoken.

#2375 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

You're seriously out to lunch. The Panthers just signed Filip Kuba as a UFA - to fill the whole left when Garrison signed in Vancouver. It's pretty safe to say that Florida does not need / are not looking to move his contract - they just acquired him - for good reason. Pretty dumb stuff there king.

Regarding Toronto - aren't you the guy who insists they offered Schenn, and have been pumping his tires ever since?
Can you smell your own obvious contradiction there king?

As I pointed out to you in another thread, Dreger has had an axe to gring with Aquilini (and therefore the Canucks) since he let Nonis go...

There has never been any indications of Nonis being that bitter so your just making crap up
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#2376 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,387 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

To "you" and to other Canuck fans isn't relevant. Other teams know that we're effectively forced to move him, and have/will adjusted their bids accordingly.

The market has spoken.

No it hasn't. "You" are speaking for the markets. Stop pretending any of this is any more than just "your" opinion.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2377 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:11 PM

Well, I said Jovanovski too, did I not? The point is that FLA is said to have wanted some significant cap heading back our way, which Gillis isn't interested in. Meaning that the people who matter - the buyers - are viewing this as a cap dump transaction.

Regarding Toronto - aren't you the guy who insists they offered Schenn, and have been pumping his tires ever since? Can you smell your own obvious contradiction there king?

I've insisted that Botchford said that, yes. Who knows, maybe Toronto offered Gillis one shot at Schenn for Luongo, before he was subsequently dealt to Philly? Seems reasonable, no?

I know, I know, and so does Colin Campbell, Stephane Auger, Gary Bettman, Brendan Shanahan, Barack Obama, Kim Jong Un, etc. Everyone has it out for the Canucks.

#2378 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:12 PM

No it hasn't. "You" are speaking for the markets. Stop pretending any of this is any more than just "your" opinion.

I'm not speaking for the markets, but Darren Dreger is, is he not? Or is he only credible when it's a good news story about the Canucks?

#2379 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,817 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

I see King is still trying to tear apart other's proposals. Hey King, how about you offer some of your own, who do you see as a possible return from these teams? (I am quite aware some might not be suitors)

Toronto, Florida, Columbus, Washington, Tampa Bay

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#2380 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,316 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

No need to move Luongo as soon as the lockout is settled. Shane Doan decided to retire so we have ample cap space to wait it out with the best tandem in the league.

Subbancopy.jpg

#2381 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,110 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

There are two problems with this:

If the Canucks were merely trying to "dump" Luongo's salary, they would have done so by now. The Luke Schenn deal, which you seem to be so convinced was actually made, would have been accepted. The Canucks would have acquired a useful, hard hitting, right-handed defenseman (even though you think that is irrelevant) and saved 2 million in annual salary.

Secondly, if Dreger's opinion is that the Luongo trade is a Cap dump, why would he say that that potential suitors want the Canucks to take back comparable salary? That's hardly dumping salary. It's trading salary.

Gillis is not dumping Luongo to save Cap space. He's only going to move him for someone who will help the team, either right away, or in the near future, in spite of what you and your boy DD might think.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#2382 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

I see King is still trying to tear apart other's proposals. Hey King, how about you offer some of your own, who do you see as a possible return from these teams? (I am quite aware some might not be suitors)

Toronto, Florida, Columbus, Washington, Tampa Bay

I'm not tearing apart proposals. I'm asking for proposals! I haven't seen any.

But first things first, no shot with Columbus, and I don't think there's a shot with TB, either (Lindback).

#2383 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,387 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

I'm not speaking for the markets, but Darren Dreger is, is he not? Or is he only credible when it's a good news story about the Canucks?

No imo he's not very credible when he does his "insider" schtick but imo nobody really is.

But sure lets go with Darren Dreger is speaking for the markets. He's a journalist...it's still meaningless in terms of actually speaking for the markets. You however are still choosing to input your opinion as fact. You've found someone to hitch your opinion onto but that doesn't really change anything. So yeah I stand by my previous statement.

The bottom line here is that seeing Luongo as a cap dump is foolish. You've as much as championed the effort to say his cap hit is good and he's a great goaltender. In fact you're entire play here is that Gillis would have no problems trading Luongo except that Luongo "holds all the cards".

You ever get tired of making arguments that counter each other? Which one is it King? Is Luongo hard to move because of his contract or is he hard to move because he holds all the cards and has publicly asked for a trade and is spiteful of Gillis? :D This is what happens when you make arguments to fit a conclusion King; it catches up to you.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2384 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

If the Canucks were merely trying to "dump" Luongo's salary, they would have done so by now. The Luke Schenn deal, which you seem to be so convinced was actually made, would have been accepted. The Canucks would have acquired a useful, hard hitting, right-handed defenseman (even though you think that is irrelevant) and saved 2 million in annual salary.

Maybe Gillis thought that Burke was balking at the JVR alternative, I don't know. Maybe Gillis just doesn't like Schenn. Maybe Gillis just thinks Luongo is worth a lot more.

But if there's a significant variance between what Gillis thinks Luongo's worth, and what the potential buyers do, this is going to drag on for a long time.

Secondly, if Dreger's opinion is that the Luongo trade is a Cap dump, why would he say that that potential suitors want the Canucks to take back comparable salary? That's hardly dumping salary. It's trading salary.

...partly. If Florida's offering us Jovanovski for Luongo, that's not really a "hockey trade", is it? Florida clearly gets the better player.

#2385 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:33 PM

But sure lets go with Darren Dreger is speaking for the markets. He's a journalist...it's still meaningless in terms of actually speaking for the markets. You however are still choosing to input your opinion as fact. You've found someone to hitch your opinion onto but that doesn't really change anything. So yeah I stand by my previous statement.

The bottom line here is that seeing Luongo as a cap dump is foolish. You've as much as championed the effort to say his cap hit is good and he's a great goaltender. In fact you're entire play here is that Gillis would have no problems trading Luongo except that Luongo "holds all the cards".

OK, well, if seeing Luongo as a cap dump is foolish, then just know that you're calling Darren Dreger a fool. You're claiming to be more knowledgeable than he is. If that's what you believe, fine.

My take throughout this is/was that I'm not surprised that something like this is/was happening. The teams that could most use Lou (CBJ & NYI) are teams that he's not going to accept a trade to.

You ever get tired of making arguments that counter each other? Which one is it King? Is Luongo hard to move because of his contract or is he hard to move because he holds all the cards and has publicly asked for a trade and is spiteful of Gillis? :D This is what happens when you make arguments to fit a conclusion King; it catches up to you.

All of the above. They're both factors. A long contract is one, the fact that he determines where he goes is another.

Your last sentence, an attempt at sounding wise, was pathetic, by the way.

#2386 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,387 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

OK, well, if seeing Luongo as a cap dump is foolish, then just know that you're calling Darren Dreger a fool. You're claiming to be more knowledgeable than he is. If that's what you believe, fine.

My take throughout this is/was that I'm not surprised that something like this is/was happening. The teams that could most use Lou (CBJ & NYI) are teams that he's not going to accept a trade to.

That is in fact not what I'm saying. I'm not saying I'm more knowledgeable than he is I'm saying it seems wrong and I'm also saying Dreger really has no real claim other than "rumors". You can twist it so that it either means black or white but again your opinion isn't fact and again it's incorrect.

All of the above. They're both factors. A long contract is one, the fact that he determines where he goes is another.

Your last sentence, an attempt at sounding wise, was pathetic, by the way.

How can they both be true when you've discredited one previously? You've said before that his contract isn't a factor when it's been brought up. Not pathetic King...just true. You've contradicted yourself so many times and all so that you can continue down the road of vilifying Gillis. It always comes back around to that. It's fine though if you're saying they are both true then you are essentially saying you were wrong before which is fine. While Luongo holds cards because of how his contract was laid out it essentially doesn't mean much. I disagree with you about his cap hit but it may be a factor to some teams.

Personally my opinion is that his cap hit isn't a problem but his contract is. That being said not a lot of teams can just take on 5.33 mil into their cap so they will have to also send cap back. Gillis; although you've disagreed before, doesn't have to just take scraps for Luongo and he also doesn't have to trade him away as quickly as possible. It's already been stated by Gilman that the team has no problem going into the season with both tenders. Do you think they'd make that claim without checking with the guy who signs the cheques?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2387 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,110 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

Maybe Gillis thought that Burke was balking at the JVR alternative, I don't know. Maybe Gillis just doesn't like Schenn. Maybe Gillis just thinks Luongo is worth a lot more.

...partly. If Florida's offering us Jovanovski for Luongo, that's not really a "hockey trade", is it? Florida clearly gets the better player.

Okay, I don't really know what you're arguing anymore. :unsure:

You say Luongo is a Cap dump, but Gillis might not like Schenn and Louie is worth a lot more. This is what the rest of us have been arguing all along. Gillis wants value for Luongo, not just to be rid of his Cap hit.

Also, I have no idea where you get the Jovo thing from. As AFAIK, you're the only one who has suggested him as a possibility.

In answer to your other question, (directed as the rest of us) I have said all along that it's Bjugstad plus another prospect (preferably Petrovic) or bust. If Tallon doesn't bite now, we'll see how he feels when the trade deadline rolls around and he's on the outside looking in.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#2388 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

How can they both be true when you've discredited one previously? You've said before that his contract isn't a factor when it's been brought up. Not pathetic King...just true. You've contradicted yourself so many times and all so that you can continue down the road of vilifying Gillis. It always comes back around to that. It's fine though if you're saying they are both true then you are essentially saying you were wrong before which is fine. While Luongo holds cards because of how his contract was laid out it essentially doesn't mean much. I disagree with you about his cap hit but it may be a factor to some teams.

Seriously, this "contradicting" crap has got to stop. I have not been contradicting myself at all.

SHOW ME WHERE I SAID THAT LUONGO'S CONTRACT IS A NON-FACTOR IN THIS DEAL, if I've been contradicting myself this whole time. And I expect to receive an apology when you don't find anything.

For the last time, the contract is a factor, and that includes all elements of it; the length, the cap hit, the NTC.

Personally my opinion is that his cap hit isn't a problem but his contract is. That being said not a lot of teams can just take on 5.33 mil into their cap so they will have to also send cap back. Gillis; although you've disagreed before, doesn't have to just take scraps for Luongo and he also doesn't have to trade him away as quickly as possible. It's already been stated by Gilman that the team has no problem going into the season with both tenders. Do you think they'd make that claim without checking with the guy who signs the cheques?

There's so much wrong with this. How can the cap hit not be a problem, but the contract is? One is non-existent without the other.

And sure, I agree that Gillis doesn't "have to" trade him immediately, but I don't personally see any benefit of holding on to him, do you? Where do you think his value's going to go, being on our bench? And how do you think that'll play in our locker room, having a guy who's asked out hanging around and anchoring this team with unnecessary drama at every corner?

And finally, it's very funny how Darren Dreger, a man with no connection to this roster whatsoever, and with nothing to gain whatsoever in speaking positively or negatively about this organization, has his credibility questioned, but Laurence Gilman, the AGM with a real interest in how this transaction plays out, is somehow deemed as gospel when his words are spoken. Seriously, explain that one to me.

Of course Gilman's going to say that, and of course Aquilini's not going to care, because this organization prints money and we're in a cap environment. If we're a few million over the cap on a cash basis, because of Luongo's front-loaded deal, it'd likely be little more than an annoyance from Francesco's perspective; however, I imagine that he's not endeared with the way that Gillis has handled this, if that's how it plays out (Roberto being on the bench).

#2389 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:13 PM

You say Luongo is a Cap dump, but Gillis might not like Schenn and Louie is worth a lot more. This is what the rest of us have been arguing all along. Gillis wants value for Luongo, not just to be rid of his Cap hit.

I'm just trying to throw out a scenario which may have happened with Toronto. Burke said "Schenn for Luongo, or he's going to Philly", and Gillis said "no". It's just a possibility.

My point is that what Gillis "wants" is irrelevant, unless he's prepared to pay $5.2M to his backup goalie for the next decade.

Also, I have no idea where you get the Jovo thing from. As AFAIK, you're the only one who has suggested him as a possibility.

In answer to your other question, (directed as the rest of us) I have said all along that it's Bjugstad plus another prospect (preferably Petrovic) or bust. If Tallon doesn't bite now, we'll see how he feels when the trade deadline rolls around and he's on the outside looking in.

The Jovo thing was just a suggestion by me. Dreger said that FLA wants big $ going back our way, and I just threw Jovo out there because he's a guy that I don't think Gillis would be interested in (unlike, say, Versteeg).

Dreger's comments would suggest that FLA's not interested in parting ways with guys like Bjugstad in this deal.

#2390 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,379 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

This.

The Canucks are going to be a playoff team regardless of whether they have the Schneider/Lu tandem or if Luongo is traded and Schneider takes on then number one spot. Florida does not have the same luxury.

Florida will come into the season facing a rejuvenated Ovie, a Hurricanes team with more offensive depth, and the league's top goal scorer in Stamkos and a Lighting team that has nowhere to go but up in the GAA department.

When Tallon looks at the standings at the trade deadline and sees what he is competing against, he is going to feel far more pressure to make a deal than Gillis will. The Canucks franchise does not live and die with playoff berths. Fans will always return. The same cannot be said of the Panthers.

Edited by Down by the River, 06 October 2012 - 01:15 PM.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#2391 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,387 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:16 PM

Seriously, this "contradicting" crap has got to stop. I have not been contradicting myself at all.

SHOW ME WHERE I SAID THAT LUONGO'S CONTRACT IS A NON-FACTOR IN THIS DEAL, if I've been contradicting myself this whole time. And I expect to receive an apology when you don't find anything.

For the last time, the contract is a factor, and that includes all elements of it; the length, the cap hit, the NTC.

Nope no apology at all King. You have said that Luongo is a great player and his contract is fair and doesn't matter. You've stated that Luongo has publicly asked for a trade to spite Gillis and you've said the reason Gillis won't get what he wants is because Luongo holds all the cards. Sorry King...it seems you've become worked up over this.

There's so much wrong with this. How can the cap hit not be a problem, but the contract is? One is non-existent without the other.

Are you daft? There are several aspects to a contract outside of a cap hit. There is length and clauses as well.

And sure, I agree that Gillis doesn't "have to" trade him immediately, but I don't personally see any benefit of holding on to him, do you? Where do you think his value's going to go, being on our bench? And how do you think that'll play in our locker room, having a guy who's asked out hanging around and anchoring this team with unnecessary drama at every corner?

Once again you're assuming he rots on a bench losing value. It's not as black and white as a starter and a backup who only plays 10 games a season. You do understand that right?

And finally, it's very funny how Darren Dreger, a man with no connection to this roster whatsoever, and with nothing to gain whatsoever in speaking positively or negatively about this organization, has his credibility questioned, but Laurence Gilman, the AGM with a real interest in how this transaction plays out, is somehow deemed as gospel when his words are spoken. Seriously, explain that one to me.

He has nothing to gain? What's his job King? What is it he's paid to do?

Of course Gilman's going to say that, and of course Aquilini's not going to care, because this organization prints money and we're in a cap environment. If we're a few million over the cap on a cash basis, because of Luongo's front-loaded deal, it'd likely be little more than an annoyance from Francesco's perspective; however, I imagine that he's not endeared with the way that Gillis has handled this, if that's how it plays out (Roberto being on the bench).

Well you've been wrong so far about how Aquilini has been "endeared" with Gillis's handling of the team. You're probably wrong here as well. And yes of course Gilman is going to say that because of course it's a position the team is prepared to do. This team has time and I'm sure would have no problem with a 50/50 split between Luongo and Schneids.

Edited by EmployeeoftheMonth, 06 October 2012 - 01:18 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2392 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

When Tallon looks at the standings at the trade deadline and sees what he is competing against, he is going to feel far more pressure to make a deal than Gillis will. The Canucks franchise does not live and die with playoff berths. Fans will always return. The same cannot be said of the Panthers.

Haha! And what if they're doing good? What position would that leave the Canucks in?

Your entire scenario is under the assumption of the Canucks doing great, and the Panthers doing poorly.

#2393 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:27 PM

Nope no apology at all King. You have said that Luongo is a great player and his contract is fair and doesn't matter. You've stated that Luongo has publicly asked for a trade to spite Gillis and you've said the reason Gillis won't get what he wants is because Luongo holds all the cards. Sorry King...it seems you've become worked up over this.

Ahh, someone's trying to hide his previously strong assertion.

"Doesn't matter" means what, exactly? It matters VERY MUCH in the context of this deal, which is what I've been speaking of this whole time. The whole "controls where he goes", thing? THAT IS PART OF HIS CONTRACT. Did you read that? CON-TRACT.

Are you daft? There are several aspects to a contract outside of a cap hit. There is length and clauses as well.

I know this, you apparently do not. A quote from your last post will confirm this:

Personally my opinion is that his cap hit isn't a problem but his contract is.

:lol:

IT'S THE SAME THING!

Once again you're assuming he rots on a bench losing value. It's not as black and white as a starter and a backup who only plays 10 games a season. You do understand that right?

Explain to me how soon-to-be 34 year-old Roberto Luongo's value will do ANYTHING but decline being Cory Schneider's backup?

He has nothing to gain? What's his job King? What is it he's paid to do?

He's paid to provide updates, really. Which is what he did. Provided an update.

Or, as you and oldnews would say, provide a fake update, to try and influence the deal away from the Canucks' favour.

This team has time and I'm sure would have no problem with a 50/50 split between Luongo and Schneids.

Yeah, I'm sure they'd love to answer 300 different Luongo questions every hour of their lives. That'd be a real joy. And it probably wouldn't affect the locker room at all.

#2394 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,387 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:37 PM

Ahh, someone's trying to hide his previously strong assertion.

"Doesn't matter" means what, exactly? It matters VERY MUCH in the context of this deal, which is what I've been speaking of this whole time. The whole "controls where he goes", thing? THAT IS PART OF HIS CONTRACT. Did you read that? CON-TRACT.

How difficult is it to understand that if I'm saying the cap hit isn't the problem the contract is that I'm clearly talking about the REST OF the contract?

I know this, you apparently do not. A quote from your last post will confirm this:

:D

:lol:

IT'S par of THE SAME THING!

FTFY Seriously you need to let go of this because it's starting to make you look desperate.

Explain to me how soon-to-be 34 year-old Roberto Luongo's value will do ANYTHING but decline being Cory Schneider's backup?

Explain to me how you can so spectacularly bugger up everything? Luongo doesn't have to be the back up. In fact what Gilman had said was that they would have the opportunity to play for the position. You're speaking in absolutes but you have no business doing so.

He's paid to provide updates, really. Which is what he did. Provided an update.

Or, as you and oldnews would say, provide a fake update, to try and influence the deal away from the Canucks' favour.

He's paid to be entertaining. I'm not saying he's providing a fake anything I'm saying anything he says should be taken as a rumor; worse yet a second hand rumor but you seem to be taking it as the gospel. I don't think Dreger has it out for the Canucks at all and have never said he does. Is this the part where I freak out like a 7 year old girl and demand an apology? :D

Yeah, I'm sure they'd love to answer 300 different Luongo questions every hour of their lives. That'd be a real joy. And it probably wouldn't affect the locker room at all.

You're right it probably wouldn't affect it at all. Oh wait you were being sarcastic...hey I think your sarcasm has more relevance to when you're being; and I use the word lightly, serious.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2395 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,110 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:49 PM

Your entire scenario is under the assumption of the Canucks doing great, and the Panthers doing poorly.

...a far more likely scenario than the opposite. Especially considering the upgrades in Carolina and the off year last season by Tampa Bay.

#2396 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:18 PM

How difficult is it to understand that if I'm saying the cap hit isn't the problem the contract is that I'm clearly talking about the REST OF the contract?

The cap hit is part of the contract. It's part of what makes the contract the contract. His cap hit is what it is because he's signed until the next ice age. Otherwise, it'd be far higher.

So if you're saying, "it's not the cap hit, it's the length", what you're really saying is that it's the contract.

Explain to me how you can so spectacularly bugger up everything? Luongo doesn't have to be the back up. In fact what Gilman had said was that they would have the opportunity to play for the position. You're speaking in absolutes but you have no business doing so.

Yeah, sure, Schneider & Luongo will just merrily split the role 50/50, because they're "friends". Good luck with that one.

And even if that were the idea, Luongo has still asked/requested/suggested publicly that he be moved, so there's still that small issue to deal with. Luongo would effectively have to get in front of a microphone and announce that he no longer wants to be traded, because he's still a 50% starter for the Vancouver Canucks. Again, good luck with that one.

You're right it probably wouldn't affect it at all. Oh wait you were being sarcastic...hey I think your sarcasm has more relevance to when you're being; and I use the word lightly, serious.

How can you honestly think that this wouldn't be a distraction? I find that almost impossible to believe. You need to put away the Tony Robbins positivity books and deal with reality. Both goalies being brought back would be a mess.

#2397 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:27 PM

...a far more likely scenario than the opposite. Especially considering the upgrades in Carolina and the off year last season by Tampa Bay.

How about the upgrades in Minnesota & Edmonton? How about Calgary adding a new coach, Wideman, and Hudler?

I wouldn't be so sure that the Canucks will be the powerhouse that they were the last two seasons, nor would I be so sure that Florida would be in the position that you're assuming they'll be in. And you've gotta think that if Florida is in a bad position at the deadline, one of the bottom spots in the conference, perhaps, they might well just concede to run with their youth - namely, Jakob Markstrom. See what he's got. If they really suck, what's 34 year-old Roberto Luongo going to do for them, anyway? He couldn't lead them to the playoffs at 25, what makes you think it'll happen a decade later? Wouldn't it make more sense for them to give a highly-touted guy like Markstrom a shot, to grow with their other influx of good young players?

What I seem to be the only one doing is looking at the transaction from the other side's perspective.

#2398 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,817 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

Still waiting on those brilliant proposals...

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#2399 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,387 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

The cap hit is part of the contract. It's part of what makes the contract the contract. His cap hit is what it is because he's signed until the next ice age. Otherwise, it'd be far higher.

So if you're saying, "it's not the cap hit, it's the length", what you're really saying is that it's the contract.

Yeah and didn't I say that my opinion was that his contract is what is the problem and not specifically the cap hit? Teams may not want to be put in the position of having somebody signed long term. The cap hit will help that situation but it certainly won't be enough imo for teams like Florida to pull the trigger when they have guys coming up with a lot of promise. I don't know what you've been told man but length really does matter and in this case I would say that is a bigger stumbling block than how much cap Luongo uses up. *deep breath* So that's what I'm saying when I say that thinking Luongo is a cap dump is a bit silly.

Yeah, sure, Schneider & Luongo will just merrily split the role 50/50, because they're "friends". Good luck with that one.

And even if that were the idea, Luongo has still asked/requested/suggested publicly that he be moved, so there's still that small issue to deal with. Luongo would effectively have to get in front of a microphone and announce that he no longer wants to be traded, because he's still a 50% starter for the Vancouver Canucks. Again, good luck with that one.

He's never stated he wants to be traded so no he wouldn't have to do that at all. He'd simply have to state that he's a member of the Canucks which he can do by going out on the ice in a Canucks jersey.

How can you honestly think that this wouldn't be a distraction? I find that almost impossible to believe. You need to put away the Tony Robbins positivity books and deal with reality. Both goalies being brought back would be a mess.

Everything is a distraction King but both goalies being brought back would not be this team wide implosion you are suggesting. It would be two goalies sharing a role. It's called a tandem and it's happened plenty of times in the past. Hell it doesn't even have to be a 50/50 split to counter act your suggestion that Luongo would just be rotting on the bench. There is a big middle ground between these extremes you like to think in.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2400 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,387 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

You won't get any.
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.