The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best current fighter on the Canucks?

-Vintage Canuck-

Who do you guys think is the best fighter on the Canucks right now?  

302 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I will admit that Bieksa doesn't fight the toughest around, but consider this. Bieksa plays bigger minutes now so why he should he fight the tougher guys in the league, when most of them are goons who pre-arrange fights(which Bieksa barely does)? Bieksa pretty well only fights by defending a teammate or after hitting someone and getting challenged. I'd say it's a good thing if we have Bieksa beating up guys like Marleau.

And which tough guy has Kassian fought?

Fighting players in the OHL and AHL is not the same as fighting someone in the NHL. Even an average tough guy in the NHL is probably tougher than some of the toughest AHL players.

Kassian would slaughter Bieksa? No, not a chance.

LOL!

Your credibility is shot after that comment...

Anyone who puts Juice in the same league as Kassian doesnt know enough on the subject to intelligently comment on it.

Bieksa wouldnt even look sideways at the guys Kassian scraps, nevermind hang in that caliber of competition.

Kostopolous=joke

Crombeen=middle of the pack middleweight

Mayers=solid middleweight past his prime

Sestito=low end heavyweight

Martin=high end lightheavyweight

Staubitz=solid middle of the pack heavyweight

Caliber of competiton isnt even close to the same. Kassian destroys all 3 of the guys on Bieksa's 1/2 of that list. Bieksa gets destryoed by all the guys on Kassian's list.

This isnt a slight to Bieksa, its a realistic look at where he stands. Top 1/2 of the middleweights in the league, not someone whos going to take on legit tough guys in this league and keep his head above water.

The one player that seems to evade all fairweather fans memories is Keith Ballard.

He has solidly beaten down on Sidney Crosby, Joe Pavelski, Colin Fraser, Corey Perry, Jamie Mcginn and has taken on Todd Bertuzzi.

Ballard is as tough as nails. Just so ya know

Kassian will be great he just needs more experience. As of right now its Bieksa then Volpatti. Bieksa needs to do exactly what he's doing and pick his spots. Even with his occasional gaff he is still too valuable to have constantly in the box or worse injured.

I'm a big Volpatti fan, great fighter though not a true heavy weight for sure. He's also got decent defensive awareness and is a real role player. He understood why he made it out of pre-season and into the line up and he played the way coach V wanted him to, and if it weren't injuries he could have been a permanent fixture on our fourth line last year. I expect him to wow a few this year.

personal oppinion

Although Bieksa has the reputation of being the toughest currently on your list, he does pick his spots. Most people would be suprised to see that Ballard has a history of fighting much tougher opponents, and winning those fights too throughout his career.

It's sad to see that Ballard is our fastest and toughest defenseman easily capable of top 4 minutes on the left side, but is ousted by Edler and Hamhuis.

Bieksa is the obvious choice, yes. However I would say a fit Volpatti is more of a handful and he has fought some good big guys who would probably cream Bieksa. Also don't underestimate Ballard when he is upset.

LOL. No, it's not even close to shot. Bieksa doesn't need to fight those big stupid goons because if they aren't fighting, they serve absolutely no purpose. Martin is a respectable player, but the other two mentioned are plugs. So to say he can't handle his own against such players because you haven't seen him do so is just stupid. If anything, it's being smart. Like I said, those plugs serve no purpose other than fighting.

And I assume we're basing this on size..? Because size means so much (Rypien for example). Bieksa has destroyed most guys he has fought. Or at least won the tilt.

Bieksa is no heavy-weight... which is why he can't fight "legit" goons.

However, with guys around his size, or with those slightly above his size, he owns them.

As for Kassian, well, I'd rather have him develop into a power forward than a goon.

Lastly, lIke what a lot of people are saying, this poll definitely shows that we need a tough enforcer really badly.

Im not basing anything on size. If Bieksa is so tough why did he duck Clowe as hard as he did? Clowe is a top6 winger who challenged him after Bieksa took out Marleau and ducked him so bad Clowe called him out publicly.

Bieksa is a spot picker plain and simple. Even when he 1st broke into the league he only ever fought middleweights. Im not knocking the guy at all, Ive said many times im a big Bieksa fan. Hes among my fav Canucks but the dude is anything but a heavyweight.

At the young age of 21 and less than 1 year in the NHL Kassian has already taken on stiffer competion and is known as a more capable tough guy around the league. No need to get so defensive about Bieksa, hes a damn good player and I dont want him fighting because of that. But hes no legit tough guy regardless of the caliber of player he is. Kassian is fighting the same caliber of guys as Lucic did at the same age and doing just fine, hes going to be a legit heavyweight in this league and is already has a reputation around the league as a capable heavyweight.

I agree that those guys are plugs and we dont want Bieksa fighting those guys even if he could. But the question posed was "Who is the Canucks best fighter?" And sorry... But its not Bieksa, its Kassian and anyone who doesnt see that is blinded by fandom or a lack of knowledge and thats all based in fact.

Go over to hockeyfights.com and talk to guys who eat sleep and breathe hockey fights and dont have a horse in the race. You'll get a 99.9% reponse of Kassian to the same question, and thats because were compaing a heavyweight to a middleweight(not litterally how much they weight in case you cant get that)

Archived